THE BROWNS BOARD

So Kiko isn't being fined?

letsgojackets

From http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238662/article/new-nfl-rules-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

To my eye what helmet to helmet there was, was an incidental, glancing blow.

And clearly from the gif the contact was with the side and not the crown of Alonso's helmet.

Just my .02- it clearly should have been a penalty for helmet to helmet, though I believe it was inadvertent contact.. Not enough to warrant a fine. The injury is all on Hoyer for lousy slide technique.

You're hitting a human around their shoulders with your shoulders.

Your helmets are going to hit.

That doesn't make the hit a helmet-to-helmet hit.

The following is taken from the 2011 NFL Rule Book (pages 73-74) and defines players who are in a defenseless posture. The material is also covered in the 2011 League Policies for Players Manual, distributed to all players in training camp.

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;

(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;

(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;

(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and

(8) A player who receives a blindside block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

(B) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless players head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/hairline parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless players body.

Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.

The was no contact whatsoever from the crown of Alonso's helmet. The first contact was made with his shoulder pads and his helmet inadvertently hit Hoyer's.

It's over, drop it.

Lock this shit.

Well, the key phrase as you said is "lowering his helmet".... on that play, to me seeing it, it is completely counterproductive for him to have lowered his helmet. His tackle would have been far more efficient if he had not lowered the helmet. The only purpose I see for him lowering his head is to crashbang into Hoyer's head.

Again...I am not saying that this play was illegal or should have been penalized, nor do I believe at all that the head to head hit had anything to do with the injury (it could actually have been worse had he kept his head up). I just say that lowering his helmet was superfluous.

Fair enough.

You lower your entire body and dive at a player and try to keep your head up. It's possible, but it's tough and it's unnatural.

Especially with a 15 pound helmet strapped to your head.

Hate to see either QB injured, but...

Both were clean hits.

Both were unfortunate injuries.

Yes.

Let's start acting like AFC North / Old School AFC Central fans that we are quit whining for other team's players to get fined.

Hoyer slid like a tard.

Zombo

it was legal. If one of our guys had hit a qb like that and got flagged we'd all be throwing our tv sets out the window and baying for referee blood. It sucks it happened to our guy but holy fuck u get a flag these days for whispering softly in a qb's ear if it would be alright with him if you gently laid him to the ground. I mean fuck football is getting dangerously close to unwatcheable.

My .02 - trying to determine a tacklers intentions, etc. from watching a replay in extreme

slo-mo is beyond ridiculous. The speed at which the game is played is almost beyond

comprehension even to those sitting near the field. When you factor in the speed of a

"slow" QB and defenders closing on him, to say something like "he should have lowered

his shoulder or aimed at his ribs or scratched his ass with his left pinky" is almost ignorant.

If the QB is going to flee the pocket he better either a) get the fuck down a lot sooner, or

B) get out of bounds. Once a QB leaves the pocket and crosses the line of scrimmage it

is open season. No "defenseless player" or other such happy horseshit. This is an extremely

violent game played by large, 'roided up borderline criminals on defense. If you don't want

your QB to get hit, he needs to stay in the pocket in the fetal position.

I'm watching Sunday soundtracks during halftime of MNF and apparently TJ Ward was miced up last week. After the game Kiko says " I think we're better than ya'll" and TJ says "We lost our Quaterback too though". And he responds "I don't know your offense is highly suspect". TJ tells him good game and walks away. What a dick move. Thoughts?

yeah i heard that too, was wondering what the prior context was cause it sounded like he walked up to TJ saying "you know we're better than y'all", and TJ was like "Uh, no you're not". If anything they had their starting qb longer than we did. Not that I think K's hit on Hoyer was dirty at all, but for him to be the one who took our qb out and then walk up to our players after the game acting like a fgt...fuck him.

Archived