THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Play President/GM for the draft

Frenchie

Here's the scenario. We finish 8-8 and Weedon does well with a QB rating around 80%. All injured players come back looking strong and healthy after the season ends including Hoyer, Pinky, that RB that broke his leg, etc. We have two first rounders (one mid, one late), a mid-second rounder, and early third rounder (from Pittsburg), a mid third rounder, and two fourth rounders. Lets assume the first three picks have to be starters. Which position are you taking and which starter are you replacing? The remaing four can either be starters or back-ups (lets just say they'll compete or solidify a position. You can combine the two firsts to move up and take a franchise QB, otherwise you can take a flyer on a non-franchise QB.

Personally, I think if Weedon improves and Hoyer looks strong in the spring, I pass up on the risky franchise QB game. Pick one is a WR to start in place of Little. Pick 2 is a DB - I like what we have but can't resist bookend potential pro bowlers at the position. Pick 3 is a power running back to complememt the current group and hopefully replace Richardson as a true starter. Pick 4 is O line. Pick 5 is a backup TE and pick 6 is a Vickers-type FB and pick 7 is another power O lineman deigned for the running game.

With Hoyer and Weedon still improving, I would like to see that team with a lot of young talent, missing pieces filled, and other thin positions solidified.

I haven't posted on here for a long while. More of a lurker and have been hesitant to commit to this team due to cautious optimism. But this is the kind of question I just love to think about. So here's my thoughts on what we should do with the offseason. I didn't get too specific on contracts for free agency because we should be able to afford what I suggest below. And I didn't address our own players in the free agency section, so if a player shows up on the depth chart just assume that we resigned his contract. I didn't feel like explaining why we should keep those players as we all watch the Browns so I think we all would know why. Also I didn't make any trades as they're just too hard to predict. Anyway, here's my way to early thoughts on what I would do in terms of player development for the offseason (after we win it all this year, of course):

The Draft:
1. Marqise Lee, WR - USC: Probably will be available in the middle to late round because of the knee injury and USC's unproductive QBs, but make no mistake this guy is a stud. Perhaps a little short for a Norv Turner wide receiver, but he definitely can get open and (here's the most important part) catch the ball!!! Josh Gordon and Greg Little are great, but isn't anyone else tired of the dropped catchable balls? Davone Bess can't be the only guy with sure hands, especially if we're going to throw the ball this much. Our defense has identity, this firms up the offensive identity.
1. C.J. Mosley, LB - Alabama: Inside linebackers aren't usually drafted high so this stud should fall right into our laps, and lets not split hairs this guy is a stud. The middle of the best defense in college football is already ready to lead an NFL defense and soon, the keys of our defense will be handed over to him. D'Qwell is the unquestioned leader here, but he's 30 and honestly hasn't always been the pinnacle of health. Behind him we have Robertson (an undrafted free agent who has shown promise in his young career) and.... right. C.J. Mosley firms up the future of what looks to be one of the best defenses in the NFL for years to come.
2. A.J. McCarron, QB - Alabama: In one of the deeper QB drafts, our quarterback of the future is found in the second round. All the QBs rated ahead of him have serious questions. Bridgewater (competition), Mariota (accuracy), Hundley (consistency), Boyd/Manziel (size), all give you reasons to worry about how they would translate to the NFL. But what about McCarron? He's got the size (6'3 214lbs), accuracy (70% completion), arm (I don't know what stat to put here but just watch him, he can push the ball up the field). He may not look like the new age quarterback and he'll never rush for 100 yards in a game but do you know what? I don't want my quarterback getting hit 10+ times a game. Call me traditional but I like a tall, strong armed leader who can read and conduct an offense. After all, are RG3 and Kaepernick showing us anything besides you better have a backup if you're going to run? Oh and he wins. A lot. Not just winning games but winning championships. In the toughest conference in college. When he faces adversity he rises those around him. (See 2013 A&M game after they take that first quarter punch). That's who I want as a leader.
3. Justin Gilbert, CB - Oklahoma State: Did you know that we only have 4 corners on the active roster? 4... Only 4. If the other team goes 5 wide we have to bring up a safety or play zone. If someone gets injured we have to pull someone from the stands. Point being, I think we need some corners. Gilbert has been up and down in college but the one thing that is undeniable is his promise. And I'd say he's been more up than down with a ton of experience. He's got the speed that you like in a corner, and I'm talking game speed. (He's actually an All-American kick returner). And my favorite part about him is that he brings some size to the position. (6'0" 200 lbs.). So a big and fast corner that can develop into a starter and contribute on special teams? Sounds like a good third-rounder to me.
3. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE - Iowa: We have to give Chud and Norv a TE right? You know they want one. Fiedorowics is a guy that probably isn't utilized as much as he should be at Iowa, but he can split out and catch a ball. And he can block (6'7" 265 lbs and he plays at freaking Iowa). Watching him he actually reminds me of Jason Witten. Could be a legitimate compliment to 2 TE sets with Cameron. Probably the TE that stays in to block more but can gash em'
4. Jack Mewhort, OT - Ohio State: I actually liked Ryan Miller but he's not here any more and we don't really have any true tackles behind Joe and Mitchell. Well here's a true blue tackle and he's an Ohio boy. I don't want to find myself where the Steelers are. Piece of mind for a 4th rounder? Sign me up.
4. Xavier Su'a-Filo, G - UCLA: Again, I don't want to find myself where the Steelers are and our interior line could be improved. I don't think Gilkey is going to cut it. (When we had that run of injuries at the beginning of the season and he wasn't even considered, that tells me what I need to know.) Here's a really good article about Xavier: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/55776/uclas-xavier-sua-filo-quietly-a-pac-12-force. Sounds like a guy that I'd put on my team.
5. Carlos Hyde, RB - Ohio State: I don't know if he's going to last this long in a relatively weak RB class, but NFLdraftscout has him listed as a 5-6 rounder. We don't have a guy on the roster that we know can pick up a yard. Hyde at worst is our bruiser (6'0" 245 lbs.) and I think all you Buckeye fans know he has the chance to be more. If he's there he'd be great value in the 5th and will fill a very big void here in Cleveland.
6. Larry Webster, OLB - Bloomsburg: This guy could be special and no one knows it yet. He was a 4 year basketball starter and had one year of eligibility remaining so he said screw it, I'll play football. And he hasn't been blocked since. Granted, having 4 sacks against Kutztown (yes that is his real stat line and that is a real opponent) isn't something that is going to make the front page of USA Today but it shows he's got ability. He's playing DE but as you can guess from his basketball background he'd be moved to OLB and he certainly looks to have the measurables to fill in there (6'6" 240lbs. 4.67 40). And yes, he's the son of THAT Larry Webster. Can't hurt him, right?
7. Demonte McAllister, DT - Florida State: I'm going straight on measurables here. He's a quick 6'2 290lbs. and he plays on one of the better defenses in college ball. Sounds like he could take some reps as a 3-4 DE. At the least he could be practice squad fodder.
Free Agency:
Ben Tate, RB - Houston Texans: Alright, I know that RB isn't going to be a priority on this team. The front office is prioritizing certain positions over others and truth be told early results of that philosophy look good. (I'm liking the Richardson trade more and more as the weeks pass). Still, we have to have a running back. I LOVE the attitude that McGahee has brought but I don't think even he would tell you that he's the answer. Our running game has been poor (to be polite) and Tate has shown he can do it in the NFL. If the Texans didn't have Foster this probably wouldn't even be an option. I wouldn't spend the moon for him but I think he'll be available for the right price and if so, I think it's a no-brainer. And he's young (25 years old).
Aqib Talib, CB - New England Patriots: This is probably going to fall on deaf ears and he may not even be available in the off-season, but if he is this guy to me is my absolute must-get. Did you know that you have more fingers on your right hand than we have corners? (Hopefully. If not look at your other hand. If still not......... I'm sorry). Listen, this guy is a STUD corner. If it wasn't for him the Patriots wouldn't even have a defense. He had some character issues in the past but he hasn't been in the police blotter for quite some time. The conversation here is really about prioritizing positions and I get that. This FO doesn't prioritize corners, but you still need em'! And it's not like they're an unaffordable luxury. Yes, we can't pay 4 high profile corners. But how about 2? It's not like we don't have the cap room and I guarantee you that Talib will have more INTs the rest of the year than our cap space. He was freaking BORN IN CLEVELAND! If we make a splash in free agency, this is where I'd do it. And he's young (27 years old).
Jairus Byrd, FS - Buffalo Bills: Unlike Talib this would be kind of a luxury, but injuries, position, and malcontentedness may push the price tag on this pro-bowler down. If it does, we should use that cap space to snag a player who is undoubtedly at or near the top of his position. Like with Tate I wouldn't break the bank here, but with all this cap space we need to act like a poker player with a ton of chips. Lets play some big stack poker with the rest of the league, set the market, and grab a top-end player. And you guessed it, he's young (26 years old).
Josh Bynes, LB - Baltimore Ravens: Undrafted linebacker who is showing promise at the NFL level. I trust (and miss) Ozzie Newsome's eyes. Probably can be had for cheap and it hurts a division rival. And... young (24 years old).
Emmanuel Sanders, WR - Pittsburgh Steelers: Speaking of hurting your division rivals, lets go grab the Steelers best receiver. He's not suited to be a team's #1 option but here he wouldn't be. He's super quick and has good hands and the Steelers are too thumbs-up-their-arses with their cap situation to keep him. Lets go get him. And, wait.... there was something else I was going to say here. What was it? I know there was something. Um.... uh.... ermm..... I don't know. (26 years old).
The Depth Chart:
QB: Brandon Weeden A.J. McCarron Brian Hoyer
RB: Ben Tate Carlos Hyde Dion Lewis
FB: Chris Ogbonnaya
LT: Joe Thomas
LG: John Greco Jason Pinkston
C: Alex Mack
RG: Shawn Lauvao Xavier Su'a-Filo
RT: Mitchell Schwartz Jack Mewhort
TE: Jordon Cameron C.J. Fiedorowics Gary Barnidge
WR: Josh Gordon Davone Bess Greg Little
WR: Marqise Lee Emmanuel Sanders Travis Benjamin
DE: Athyba Rubin John Hughes Armonte Bryant
DT: Phil Taylor Ishmaa'ily Kitchen
DE: Desmond Bryant Billy Winn
OLB: Barkevious Mingo Jabaal Sheard Larry Webster
ILB: C.J. Mosley Craig Robertson
ILB: D'Qwell Jackson Josh Bynes
OLB: Paul Kruger Quentin Groves
SS: T.J. Ward Johnson Bademosi
FS: Jairus Byrd Tashaun Gipson
CB: Joe Haden Buster Skrine Leon McFadden
CB: Aqib Talib Justin Gilbert Chris Owens
K: Billy Cundiff
P: Spencer Lanning
LS: Christian Yount
Just a quick conversation about the quarterbacks because I feel like that can't be presented without comment. Listen guys, I love Hoyer. I hope he's on the team for the next 8 years, but in a backup role. I look at him and I just think, this is why we got into a problem with Colt. While he commands a huddle and does a lot of things well (and that's why you keep him here to light a fire under the starter), there are fundamental QB traits that he doesn't have. We all saw that comeback win against the Bills. Weeden looked inaccurate a times but he also made some throws that Hoyer just can't make. And for craps sake he did lead the team to a victory when the home crowd wasn't exactly behind him on national TV. Did you see Weeden post-game? They gave him a chance to rip the crowd and he didn't. Lets give this guy his due. He's the best QB we have for the rest of this year which means he'll have 2 years of NFL experience with more raw talent than Hoyer going into 2015. That makes him the best placeholder until McCarron acclimates to the NFL. And that's all we're talking about here, a placeholder. Weeden is 30 and soon to be out of the NFL. Our depth chart for years to come would be McCarron then Hoyer. But this year? Weeden gets the nod.
Practice Squad:
Demonte McAllister, DL: Our 7th rounder gets time to develop.
Chris Faulk, OL: Talented but injured. Lets keep him around to see if he can lose the latter attribute.
Jamoris Slaughter, DB: Ditto.
Tori Gurley, WR: He's got the size Norv likes. And we are going to be a passing team.
Kenny Guiton, QB: C'mon, just admit you like this idea. If there ever was a developmental NFL quarterback it's Guiton. You know he won't be a lockerroom problem. Lets bring him in here.
Asante Cleveland, TE: Chud and Norv love TEs. He's got the right name. And he reportedly runs a 4.68 40.
Ciante Evans, DB and Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB: This duo both comes from the Nebraska secondary. They're both likely to go undrafted but Nebraska's D isn't THAT bad. (Don't push me on this position. I don't want to defend it). Anyway, I like the idea of these two developing chemistry on the practice squad to keep our QBs honest. And it is just the practice squad. Go Browns.

Steelers fans hate Emmanuel Sanders, Brown is their best receiver.

I'll say this.

I like most of the picks you have, outside of Marquise Lee. (I'd rather have Mike Evans)

AJ McCarron, I hope he's there in the 3rd and we need to move corner up a spot.

We need guard play, somehow. Don't know where we'll get it but we need it.

We need Two tight-ends, both big blocking types with reliable hands(who may not be the most explosive)

A corner, a free safety.

1st round:

1st pick: 13th overall - Ha-Sean Clinton-Dix (FS, Alabama)

2nd pick: 19th overall - Mike Evans (WR, TA&M)

That's my dream 1st day right there.

You're probably right about Steelers fans hating Sanders and they probably prefer Brown, but I think Sanders has more WR traits that can benefit an NFL, especially that speed. I get your point though. At the end of the day, I think he'd be good depth and it does hurt the Steelers.

As far as your picks, I don't see how we can pick a free safety in the first round. Not exactly a priority position. I do like Ha-Ha, I'm just not sure there's a FS I'd take in the first.

And with Evans, I kinda worry that he's more height than skill. Every time I watch him the strategy seems to be "just go stand in the end zone and I'm going to throw it up high." Doesn't really work in the NFL. I haven't seen him run the kind of routes Lee can. But I do like the pick of a WR with size and hands. I think that's the direction the team is going.

I don't see how it isn't a priority position, though. FS is a weakness and we need a guy who can sniff the ball out and force turnovers, that's what our defense is missing most right now outside of better depth at corner. And if we're picking 13th, Ha-Ha is justified as a BPA pick.

Evans has great speed for a guy that's 6'5", very good hands and I don't think he's as unpolished as you make him out to be. He's Johnny's bailout guy, and we've seen that all year, he goes up and gets all those terrible throws made by Manziel.

Standing with WR corps where you're #1 is 6'3", #2 is 6'5", with a few 6'2" guys as well and Benji. Then Jordan Cameron(6'5") and a another TE or two, would be perfect for Chud and Norv's offense.

I just noticed, you have Weeden as our starter. I am not a fan of that lol.

Yeah we won in spite of Weeden to be honest. The only two impressive throws he made were the one to Little then the TD to Gordon. The rest of the time the offense was abysmal.

Weeden has all the traits but it just won't come together, I just don't see it.

And while Hoyer can't throw the ball 70 yards, he can help us sustain a drive, which Weeden cannot do. I'd much rather have a QB that can put together good drives and help us win the TOP battle, keeping our defense fresh and keeping us in the game.

You don't need to throw the ball 50 yards to score a 50 yard touchdown, you need to lead your receiver to open field on short throws as well which is something Hoyer does better than Weeden as well.

I'll be done, but just the prospect of having Weeden and McCarron ahead of Hoyer on the depth chart is ridiculous. What's more likely is Weeden not even being here.

1. mariota QB oregon my choice if picking QB

2. funchess TE mich what i saw of him yesterday was amazing. pure hybrid te/wr huge fast and great hands

3. pierschbacher OL iowa nest OL in the country

4. purifoy or robison CB florida 2 six footers from haden's alum

then add another OL FS WR in any order.

Great answer, Rugby! You really need to post more often. I loved your attention to detail with pick details and commentary. I'm in agreement with most of it and wish the Browns would hire you! Not sure we really need an MLB and I love the play of Robertson. Would prefer to go defense secondary with the second pick of the first round.

I am also surprised nobody else posted their decisions today. We criticize the FO often but here's a chance to be the GM and only one person takes the challenge? - and the Browns are not even playing today! C'mon guys. I'm shocked this hasn't started debate over whether we should go for the Franchise QB or continue to work with Hoyer/Weedon or add two first round draft choices.

Again, thanks for taking the challenge Rugby!

Great answer, Rugby! You really need to post more often. I loved your attention to detail with pick details and commentary. I'm in agreement with most of it and wish the Browns would hire you! Not sure we really need an MLB and I love the play of Robertson. Would prefer to go defense secondary with the second pick of the first round.

I am also surprised nobody else posted their decisions today. We criticize the FO often but here's a chance to be the GM and only one person takes the challenge? - and the Browns are not even playing today! C'mon guys. I'm shocked this hasn't started debate over whether we should go for the Franchise QB or continue to work with Hoyer/Weedon or add two first round draft choices.

Again, thanks for taking the challenge Rugby!

too bad i disagree with every one of his picks. but yes he did post every pick and FA signing that is possible.

but WR at #1? no way.

and LB at #2? the position that we addressed all of last season and prob have the most depth at? no.

then a QB from alabama? like some have said in other threads that that OL would make ken dorsey look like johnny unitas. absolutely not.

Why do people knock AJ McCarron?

Is it because of Greg McElroy?

AJ McCarron is a good prospect, regardless of who he plays with. There's a reason McElroy was drafted in the 7th and AJ McCarron could go as high as the 2nd round.

'Alabama QB's'....lol there's only been 2 under Nick Saban that he recruited.

McCarron has everything it takes, and he wouldn't be an instant starter either. I take a prospect like him over one who is raw and needs to learn everything about being a QB. The way he plays is tailored for the NFL. He drops back and passes, makes accurate throws and has a beautiful delivery. While he can't sling it everywhere on the field he has an NFL arm, and his mechanics only help that. He'll have to adjust to separation in the NFL, and time in the pocket but he is very capable of becoming a very good starter for a team, and I wouldn't be surprised if he resembled Alex Smith a lot.

and LB at #2? the position that we addressed all of last season and prob have the most depth at? no.

cj mosley may be the best ILB to come out of college in some time. We addressed the OLB spot last season, not the ILB's. Didn't we actually try to get Ellerbe out of Blt before we went after Kruger?

cj mosley may be the best ILB to come out of college in some time. We addressed the OLB spot last season, not the ILB's. Didn't we actually try to get Ellerbe out of Blt before we went after Kruger?

We have an excellent starter and a solid starter at ILB, but behind them, not much. Given, also, the DQJ only has a limited amount of time left in the league, you'd like to get someone coming in and taking over eventually - if we get someone sooner maybe he can actually take a rest during some games and extend his career.

I like most everything Rugby, but the only depth chart Weeden should be 1st on, is the coffee getters chart.

I agree with you about Weedster, which will blow up your draft prognostication. The guy has qb flaws that IMHO cannot be fixed. & will be 31 next year. I'll let the season play out, but it won't surprise me if Brandon ends up on IR before the end of the year due to his lack of pocket presence and sloooow release.

McCarron??? LOL the guy IS a younger version of Hoyer, and I have serious doubts we're going that route.

Without naming names, our first three picks will be qb, wr, cb in no particular order.

Other than that, props to the OP on a well thought out post.

I differ a bit with Rugby's analysis, thorough as it was. I just don't see the Browns picking anything other than QB with their first pick, and I won't be surprised if they trade both first round picks to move up in the draft. I also don't see that we have a need to spend early picks on what is already an elite defense. First three rounds ought to be about fixing up the offense, and if you read some of what the FO has said, they've said last draft and signings were about fixing the defense, and this year will be about the offense. Here is what I'd like to see though:

Round 1:

1st pick: QB- Tough call here, since it is hard to say who will be available. My guess is either Boyd, Hundley, Mariota or Manziel.

2nd pick: WR- Mike Evans if available, Marqise Lee if not. The Browns probably will pass on Watkins with his failed drug test.

Round 2:

3rd pick: OG Xavier Su'a-Filo. I don't see him being available later, and he is ranked #1 guard by Walter Football. He seems like a class act, too.

Round 3:

4th pick: RB, I think this is the ideal round to pick a running back, and this season for the Browns will probably demonstrate why we shouldn't wait until later. There are only a couple of RBs that might be worthy of going sooner, so it seems like a good value to pick. Hard to say who is available at this point so I'll leave it at that.

5th pick: Maybe at this point you pick up a CB, but I'd still rather see this fill an offensive need.

The draft is flush with QB depth. You could draft Mettenberger or Manziel in the 2nd or McCarron in the 3rd. Therefore, for the 1st round, I'd trade up to PIT, or STL for the rights to Watkins. I project (before my trade idea) that JAC/OAK/AZ will pick QBs, STL will pick an O-lineman, PIT will pick up a lineman and PHI/MIN will pick up Watkins and Evans respectively. Therefore, I would offer PIT or STL the pick CLE got from IND and the 3rd round pick that they got from PIT for their 1st round pick and a 5th (which will come in handy, as I think CLE should draft a K to replace Cundiff). In the 2nd round, I would draft Mettenberger or Carr. In the 3rd, I would select Taylor HArt, DE from Oregon. In the 4th, I would draft either E.J. Gaines or Pierre Desir, CBs from Mizzou and Lindenwood, respectively.

There are a lot of things we need to see develop before talking about the draft, even outside of Weeden. On D, we're shortest at CB, S and ILB. But, We'll need to see how people like Slaughter and McFadden develop. If they can get to a level whereby next september they can step in and play to the necessary level, then I think those positions become less of a necessity. ILB, there's nobody really behind the starters Jackson and Robertson, so as good as they are we probably need to pick someone up in that department.

On O, the O-Line clearly needs addressing. But, hopefully Schwartz plays like he did at the end of last year, not the start of this/last year. Then we're set there. G is a question mark - Greco has looked OK but not great, Cousins should find himself a home in the CFL, Pinkston and Luavao are the guys we need to become legitimate starters and really pull in the run game. If one does, then we're probably ok for starters, and with Gilkey behind them actually looking like a solid enough backup, depth is fine. Another TE would be nice opposite Cameron - but can Barnidge be that guy? We've seen a limited amount of him and he's looked reasonable, neither explosive in the passing game nor liability in the blocking department. Can Greg Little become a proper #2 WR? Probably not. But can we use him in other areas of the field? Such as the backfield? He's good with the ball in his hands and has shown above average blocking skills, so perhaps that might be his ultimate position.

And then Weeden. He will not be our starter next season, no two ways about it. Our FO hates him, Chud and Norv were willing to take a gamble, and it looks like he's not progressing quickly enough to get up to speed before retiring. He might stick around as a backup, but I think there's a distinct possibility he's traded in the offseason to be someone else's backup and we draft a top QB to compete with Hoyer, and possibly pick up a low-round flier to develop as the third guy (like the OSU backup, that'd be a nice story).

That being said, I'd say our needs are pretty much as follows (in my opinion)

QB - there's no way we don't take one high in the draft; placing all of your faith in a guy who has 3 career starts (excluding buffalo) who's coming off of an ACL tear is potentially suicidal.

WR - Little isn't developing in to the player we'd hoped. We go and get a real threat to complement Gordan - you can see the impact he makes when he's in the team against when he's not. Given his potential to be out for a year, we can't afford to not have someone else to share the load.

DB - we're light at safefy and CB. Hopefully one of slaughter/mcfadden steps up and makes us less light, but having Chris Owens as the #3 corner isn't a great state of affairs.

RB - Lewis is quick/shifty, but we will be getting someone to complement him, probably a power runner. This also frees lewis to be involved in the return game.

ILB - as discussed, someone to provide depth, spell Jackson/Robertson and eventually become a starter in that position.

OG/OT - we're light on depth at tackle and light on talent at guard. We need to address one of these sooner rather than later.

Going in to the lower rounds is even more of a crap shoot, so we're hopefully just looking for BPA, more of those low round fliers that could really pan out, and if they don't it's no worry - like slaughter, gilkey, bryant from this year, and people like miller from last.

As an end note, I'd also be not-very-surprised-at-all to see billy cundiff not on the team next year, so a late round K would be a sensible move.

Tell you what: why don't the moderators put a "Hold" on this thread, then bring it back for renewal in like February when it will be relevent. I like to talk draft as much as anyone, but right here, right now it is like someone offering a cocktail at 8:00 AM.....in other words, give me 12 hours....or in this case, 12 more games.

I hear you, Gipper - but it's also fun when you don't know all the facts and just make up crazy scenarios. You've got to admit, if Hoyer could have stayed healthy and been our answer at QB position (which could still be the case), those two first round draft choices could have really helped us address some glaring needs.

Lets assume Hoyer will recover from his ACL injury. That is not a stretch as the surgery and recovery are becoming more and more routine. Even if he can run a bit less the rest should be good. Based on that in the first round I take a right guard and db. In 2 through 4 I take a WR, a project QB, a RB. After those picks I go best player available the balance of the draft.

I think it's pretty obvious we'll be going QB with our first pick.

I hope you are wrong. Hoyer proved he could be a serviceable to very good NFL QB to me anyway. First round QB picks are like Powerball tickets, odds aren't so good they work out as planned. I would most definitely rather see a 2nd to 4th round QB or even two with other picks to bolster the oline and d in general.

I hope you are wrong. Hoyer proved he could be a serviceable to very good NFL QB to me anyway. First round QB picks are like Powerball tickets, odds aren't so good they work out as planned. I would most definitely rather see a 2nd to 4th round QB or even two with other picks to bolster the oline and d in general.

I hope I'm wrong as well but I doubt it's the case.

There's too much to risk by passing up a QB.

Hoyer may be our next franchise QB but if we decide not to draft a QB and then we find that he's not franchise material, we'll have missed our boat.

We have the ammunition to conceivably add a franchise QB, a talented ILB, a solid RB, a starting RG and then still have a third round pick to take BPA.

Archived