THE BROWNS BOARD

The REAL reason campbell isnt starting.

dapz

Everyone in philly can tell you that Joe Banner is the chief bean counter.

campbell has escalators in the contract talk that would give him a large chunk of change for playing over 60% of snaps.

you put hoyer in week3 in hopes you can last till the bye week then go campbell.

we will see campbell once they are sure that he can't obtain the $$$ ...

It just bothers me Joe Banner is more concerned with bean counting than getting some wins.

There is no excuse why weeden is still playing.

Everyone in philly can tell you that Joe Banner is the chief bean counter.

campbell has escalators in the contract talk that would give him a large chunk of change for playing over 60% of snaps.

you put hoyer in week3 in hopes you can last till the bye week then go campbell.

we will see campbell once they are sure that he can't obtain the $$$ ...

It just bothers me Joe Banner is more concerned with bean counting than getting some wins.

There is no excuse why weeden is still playing.

As I said in another thread, if that is the case that they're holding back because of money then the season ticket holders should tell the Browns to stick it up their ass when it comes time for renewals! The object of the game is to put in the players that give you the chance to WIN THE FUCKING GAME!!!!! FUCK THIS WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR BULLSHIT!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Or, maybe as bad as everyone believes BW3 to be, the coaches still think he is better than Campbell.

I say Weeden has through the bye week. That is, he will be given this Chiefs game and the Ravens home game. If he still plays this poorly, then they go to Campbell.

I also think that is fair.

Or, maybe as bad as everyone believes BW3 to be, the coaches still think he is better than Campbell.

I say Weeden has through the bye week. That is, he will be given this Chiefs game and the Ravens home game. If he still plays this poorly, then they go to Campbell.

You need to watch the last two games.

Zombo

I apoligize if this has been brought up in a separate thread. ive been saying it since week3 when hoyer startes. Although a little less so when hoyer was winning because that's all I want.

but it has been bugging me for some time and I just want others to see what I see behind the curtain

Like I said in the other thread, I just don't believe this to be true. At the end of the day Haslam writes the checks, not Banner or anyone else. He does not strike me as a guy who wouldn't throw $1 million bucks into the pool if the browns had a chance to win some football games. Think of it this way: Does Campbell give Browns a significantly better chance of beating the Chiefs Sunday or the rest of the season for that matter? You all saying this are missing the point. Weeden is staying on the field because they've conceded to tanking the season. Campbell might be better but it's not by leaps and bounds. He might go out there and get 2 wins Weeden doesn't, but at the end of the day the playoffs are out of the picture. The FO has loaded up on this year's draft and are eying a potential top 10 pick.

Weeden is God awful terrible, there's no doubt about it. But Campbell is not the savior Hoyer was.

Like I said in the other thread, I just don't believe this to be true. At the end of the day Haslam writes the checks, not Banner or anyone else. He does not strike me as a guy who wouldn't throw $1 million bucks into the pool if the browns had a chance to win some football games. Think of it this way: Does Campbell give Browns a significantly better chance of beating the Chiefs Sunday or the rest of the season for that matter? You all saying this are missing the point. Weeden is staying on the field because they've conceded to tanking the season. Campbell might be better but it's not by leaps and bounds. He might go out there and get 2 wins Weeden doesn't, but at the end of the day the playoffs are out of the picture. The FO has loaded up on this year's draft and are eying a potential top 10 pick.

Weeden is God awful terrible, there's no doubt about it. But Campbell is not the savior Hoyer was.

Yes, Haslam writes the checks, but he also hired guys to run this team. If Banner and company have sold Haslam on their process and vision for building this team, Haslam will back them up. Haslam is a business man, not a football guy. Haslam might be a fan, but he has hired men to run this organization and he is letting them do just that.

well if we don't start seeing something from dumb and dumber onthe sidelines with their ingenious offensive intelect besides a couple screens and 6 3 and outs in a row in the second half............

there'll be some splaining to do at the end of the year.

well if we don't start seeing something from dumb and dumber onthe sidelines with their ingenious offensive intelect besides a couple screens and 6 3 and outs in a row in the second half............

there'll be some splaining to do at the end of the year.

They may not have the confidence in Weeden to run any other play. If the guy goes 17 for 40+, overthrowing, behind receivers... what can you run. Granted, I think every WR/TE dropped a pass yesterday, but wasn't 20+ drops

600k is for 80% of snaps which is impossible after week 7.

350k for 65%. So there you have it. Either these guys are tightwads or Campbell is that terrible.

I think his total deal is like 3.6 Mill or something.. correct me if I am wrong. There are also performance perks in the contract... So he has 500K guaranteed. With those numbers that is 1.45 Mill.. So he has about 2 Mill in other incentives.

Or we are tanking.. trying to get the best position possible in the draft.

Don't take this personally, and it isn't PC, but this whole thread is really Retarded. It's like saying "Big Green" made up global warming because that's where the money is (as opposed to oil). If it sounds stupid, it probably is.

Nobody in pro football sits a better quarterback to save a little money. The choice between Weeden and Campbell is between different colors of shit. Would I sit Weeden at this point? I would, because I think his confidence is shot, even though having confidence would be delusional in his case because he's just awful.

But it's not like we have someone waiting in the wings like Case Keenum, someone who just might be really good or is tearing it up at practice. The coaches leapfrogged Campbell because he hasn't looked good at any point and, maybe worse, he doesn't much seem to give a shit.

As I said in another thread, if that is the case that they're holding back because of money then the season ticket holders should tell the Browns to stick it up their ass when it comes time for renewals! The object of the game is to put in the players that give you the chance to WIN THE FUCKING GAME!!!!! FUCK THIS WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR BULLSHIT!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, you being a season ticket holder, that is the direction you are taking, or are you telling me, a season ticket holder what I should do?

Just wanting to sort this out.

You are a season ticket holder, right?

Dapz, the problem with bringing in somebody midseason, someone who doesn't know your offense, somebody who's so bad nobody minds parting with him... is that he's gonna suck even worse.

It's Weeden or Campbell this year, a throwaway season, sadly... then hopefully Hoyer and Mariota next year.

Don't take this personally, and it isn't PC, but this whole thread is really Retarded. It's like saying "Big Green" made up global warming because that's where the money is (as opposed to oil). If it sounds stupid, it probably is.

Nobody in pro football sits a better quarterback to save a little money. The choice between Weeden and Campbell is between different colors of shit. Would I sit Weeden at this point? I would, because I think his confidence is shot, even though having confidence would be delusional in his case because he's just awful.

But it's not like we have someone waiting in the wings like Case Keenum, someone who just might be really good or is tearing it up at practice. The coaches leapfrogged Campbell because he hasn't looked good at any point and, maybe worse, he doesn't much seem to give a shit.

Yeah- I'm not buying the "Banner is a tightwad" gambit. If he was, he'd never have signed Kruger to a fat deal. Really, in today's NFL, Campbell's escalators are chump change. IIRC, minimum for a 9 year vet is something like $900k.

BTW, the escalators for 2014 don't mean squat- because they're not guaranteed. We could easily release Campbell after the season- and I have to believe there will be something at least as good, if not better in the backup qb market next spring. Most teams would jump at the chance to trade you one of their backups for a 7th round pick.

Lol, Weeded is going to get smashed by the like of Poe and Suggs.

Yeah- I'm not buying the "Banner is a tightwad" gambit. If he was, he'd never have signed Kruger to a fat deal. Really, in today's NFL, Campbell's escalators are chump change. IIRC, minimum for a 9 year vet is something like $900k.

BTW, the escalators for 2014 don't mean squat- because they're not guaranteed. We could easily release Campbell after the season- and I have to believe there will be something at least as good, if not better in the backup qb market next spring. Most teams would jump at the chance to trade you one of their backups for a 7th round pick.

I agree....I found this.....

Jason Campbell isn’t getting paid like a starter, yet

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2013

When the Browns signed quarterback Jason Campbell, many assumed he’d potentially become the team’s starter in 2013. And he’ll definitely get a chance to win the job, since he’s the first signal-caller signed by the new regime in Cleveland, after previously starting in Washington and Oakland.

For now, though, he’s getting paid like a backup, and not a lot when compared to other backups. A source with knowledge of the contract tells PFT that Campbell’s contract pays out $1.5 million in 2013.

Specifically, he gets a base salary of $1.5 million in 2013, $500,000 of which is fully guaranteed.

That said, if Campbell can win the job, he’ll make more money via incentives. Specifically, he gets $150,000 for 50 percent playing time in 2013, 65 percent results in $350,000, and 80 percent triggers $600,000.

In 2014, Campbell’s base salary is a bit higher, at $2 million. He also gets roster bonus of $250,000 due the third day of the league year.

But there are escalators for 2014 based on playing time in the coming season. Campbell’s 2014 base salary will increase by $500,000 based on 30 percent playing time in 2013. 40 percent playing time in 2013 increases the 2014 salary by another $500,000. Ten more percent in 2013? Another $500,000 in 2014. And if Campbell takes 65 percent or more of the snaps in 2013, his $2 million salary will double.

Still, his backup pay for 2013 is low, and that’s largely because Campbell’s options were limited. Especially in light of the egg he laid when he had a chance during 2012 to sub for Jay Cutler in Chicago, during that Monday night debacle against the 49ers.

Campbell could have stayed in Chicago and backed up Cutler, or he could have gone to Cleveland with a chance to win the starting job. If Campbell pulls it off, he’ll be paid more on the back end.

And if he plays really well in 2013, the Browns likely will tear up the 2014 deal and sign him to something better.

Based on that article, we aren't talking all that much money this year. I doubt we are keeping him on the bench because we want to save 300K.

You need to watch the last two games.

Zombo

I still say Weeden has through the bye week to show that he is better than what we have seen so far. (Sure, that might be different if anyone thought that Campbell was really any better...no on does).

If he can bring a win in either the KC or Baltimore game, it is still up for grabs whether he continues.

If he blows in both of them, then the coaching staff would be right to give Campbell 2 full weeks worth of practice reps with the first string before throwing him in the starter role.

Archived