THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer

Westside Steve

Gentlemen, for what it's worth it's probably not a good idea to invest a great deal of emotion and hope in this young man.

Assuming Mike Lombardi is the arrogant asshole that everyone seems to think he is, whoever we invest in as quarterback, and it's likely to be a big investment, will be given at least 3 years to pan out making the backups pretty much expendable.

And since the draft is going to come before we know whether or not Hoyer can still play it seems as if thats inevitable.

WSS

Hoyer was pulled in by this regime, and they know that he has the leadership and had the playmaking ability to unite the locker room. I expect that we would have drafted a QB early even if Hoyer had led us to a moderately successful season. I expect him to start the preseason and have the rookie learn under him. If he regresses like Palmer did after his knee injury, then yeah, he's gonna be gone before too long.

the last thing I want this organization to do is throw our future rookie "franchise" QB to the wolves ala timmy couch. I'd rather give Hoyer the starting job but give the rookie A FAIR CHANCE to steal it away in camp.

In my opinion, Hoyer can be the next Brady. Problem is, now that hes hurt, does it force your FO to draft a QB? If I was the GM, I wouldnt though, Hoyer has that "it" factor. He can play.

If he played 7 games like his first two, then I'd agree with you. Problem is, he doesn't have the games under his belt to prove one way or the other if he is a capable franchise qb.

Assuming he comes back strong from the ACL there's zero reason to let the guy walk. Hell even with a torn ACL he might be the best QB for the Browns right now. I know it was a small sample size but he looked really good. We're drafting a QB, there's no doubt about it. Even if they like the guy we draft to start, Hoyer would make an awesome back-up. The only way I see him leaving is if someone tabs him as a starter and trades some high-ish picks for him.

I want to believe Hoyer can be great but I'm cautious that we will get some college hotshot and throw him into an untenable position.

If Brian Hoyer proved one thing to me in two games its that he can handle the speed of the game...something we can seldom say of browns quarterbacks since 1999

They are going to draft their guy. In May.

Of the three veterans on our team, Hoyer has performed the best and has the best contract situatiion.

Hoyer will be competing with a rookie first rounder next year and the deck will be stacked against him.

Just the way it is.

I'm glad he's ours, I like him a lot.

Zombo

I hope beyond all hope that we take a high upside QB that can sit and learn behind Hoyer, who at worst has the potential to be an Alex Smith game manager. That way, the new kid can actually just worry about getting better, not about learning a system, making plays, getting wins, managing the huddle, and all the other stuff that goes with being a starting QB. He might get a series or two when we're up by some distance every now and again, and then after a year or two, he takes over and becomes our future hall of famer.

Aaaand I woke up.

I think this regime has done the right thing, over and over. They stood by a lot of players from the previous administration, some who were undrafted or picked low (they loved Skrine, Robertson, Gipson, Gordon even thought it required eating crow, etc.).

They hated the first round from last year... but so did most NFL types. It didn't make any sense in 2013. At all. It was a weird, stupid draft and Lombardi said so. And he was right. For damn certain, we'd have Julio Jones, Tannehill, and Doug Martin right now and we'd be way better off for it.

Of course the Browns will draft a quarterback high up. But Steve, you're basically saying Lombardi was so right about Hoyer that he must be wrong. Somehow. C'mon, he nailed it: That draft sucked and Hoyer didn't. Hoyer will be a Brown and might well get his chance to go Drew Brees on Marcus Mariota. Mariota is a mega-talent but I have no problem with a rook watching at least until the bye, longer if the veteran is getting it done.

I'm in KC right now. I hope we get us some of this next year. Town's ablaze.

Actually its some of the guys here that seem to hate Lombardi. That's why I brought it up. Yes they brought in Hoyer. If he brings in a quarterback that cost us two first-round picks that's really going to be his guy and I don't see him letting Hoyer skate past that obstacle.

And a first-round quarterback sitting on the bench learning from the crafty old veteran starter is fine. In this case the starter is a third string kid thrown into the fire not Brett Favre.

And all of that assumes that it wasn't Chudzinski who wanted him.

WSS

I dont' think there's any doubt that Lombardi was the one who wanted Hoyer. He's been saying for 3 years that he has everything you want in a QB but just hasn't had a good opportunity to show it. He certainly looked right through 2 games about him.

the last thing I want this organization to do is throw our future rookie "franchise" QB to the wolves ala timmy couch. I'd rather give Hoyer the starting job but give the rookie A FAIR CHANCE to steal it away in camp.

There's a difference btw this team and the '99 "expansion" Browns. This team has talent and is not very far from being competetive. Solid D, decent WR corp, good pices on the O-line... You're not really throwing a rookie "to the wolves" when he has guys like Cameron and Gordon to throw the ball to, and when he has guys like Thomas and Mack blocking for him. Not to mention a D that is top 5 (if the offense could stay on the field longer).

There's a difference btw this team and the '99 "expansion" Browns. This team has talent and is not very far from being competetive. Solid D, decent WR corp, good pices on the O-line... You're not really throwing a rookie "to the wolves" when he has guys like Cameron and Gordon to throw the ball to, and when he has guys like Thomas and Mack blocking for him. Not to mention a D that is top 5 (if the offense could stay on the field longer).

If the D can get off the field on third down, they'd be top 5 regardless of the offense.

If the cat had not stopped to a shit it would have caught the mouse.

:D

WSS

great analogy as always steve.

even though we've got beat by some pretty decent teams, the one standard is that our defense (although still missing another starter #2 across from haden and maybe a LB here or there) has played great. with being on the field as much as they have we can give big ups to horton for his conditioning skills.

man this QB thing (you all know) will be the life and death of this franchise for the next 5 years. i loved hoyer. the team AND the fanbase had a reason to finally get excited again about the browns. do we trade him away? i say hell no, but i'm not the GM or the pres. of team personnel decisions. if they trade hoyer and gordon away, i will still love the browns, but my faith in the FO will have jumped out the window right alongside me and my jim beam.

it will take us AT LEAST both of our first to get close to one of the projected 'top 5' QBs. if you can't pull the trigger on that then you might as well get the best CB, LB, or OL with our first pick and wait for the rest of the QB class to drop into your lap with the second pick.

i hate the chances with the 'live or die' 'all-in' trade everything for a chance at nothing.

That might not necessarily be the case though mik. the seasons halfway over and when its all said and done the Browns probably will be drafting high enough to get one of the top QBs and may not have to package picks to move up, leaving us the colts 1st rounder to grab a CB or WR. It all boils down to who they target as they're #1guy at QB. IMO

but if you want bridgewater or mariota, you're gonna have to add something to the pot.

seriously MIk- the Browns would have to lose out to leapfrog the Jags & Bucs to stand pat and take one of those two. One of them might consider trading out for a bushel basket of picks.

Thanks why I would rather roll with Hoyer, use our 1st rounders on other positions, and maybe draft a qb in round 4. I think Hoyer is plenty good enough to lead the O.

I don't think any of the QBs in this class are good enough to start throwing picks at some team. Just because they are the best this year doesn't mean they are the best ever.

Agreed, with Peen. There are questions on every qb in this draft. That doesn't make a

case for tossing picks to move up.

Just makes a case for picking the qb that fits your lockeroom, fits your system,

and can see the field and make excellent decisions.

I really think the qb that fits now, although extremely early, is McCarron.

Mike Peen and Cal are correct.

I have no idea if Mccarron is the guy but as I've said before just because you draft a guy in the top 5 doesn't mean he's a world class quarterback.

And be realistic. If we draft a guy really really high Hoyer will not have a fair shot at the starting job.

Those decisions are only made on the field of play, not in practice.

WSS

Which would be dumb.

i agree.

seriously MIk- the Browns would have to lose out to leapfrog the Jags & Bucs to stand pat and take one of those two. One of them might consider trading out for a bushel basket of picks.

i'm advocating standing pat at what number and choosing something other than a QB or even moving down some spots to garnish more/future picks. not every one is picking QBs and i'm sure some good ones could be there late first round or second. i don't know about 4th rounders. that's like picking a guy who played at akron.

Thanks why I would rather roll with Hoyer, use our 1st rounders on other positions, and maybe draft a qb in round 4. I think Hoyer is plenty good enough to lead the O.

I don't think any of the QBs in this class are good enough to start throwing picks at some team. Just because they are the best this year doesn't mean they are the best ever.

i like hoyer as well, and i'm not sold on any of these pundit's list of CAN"T misses. because there sure a hell of a lot of those guys that sure were misses.

Mike Peen and Cal are correct.

I have no idea if Mccarron is the guy but as I've said before just because you draft a guy in the top 5 doesn't mean he's a world class quarterback.

And be realistic. If we draft a guy really really high Hoyer will not have a fair shot at the starting job.

Those decisions are only made on the field of play, not in practice.

WSS

agreed.

Archived