THE BROWNS BOARD

Buckeyes

Bob806

That season OSU played Arkansas they got 0 wins. All were revoked after the sanctions. So they never beat Arkansas

Now you are just being fucking stupid and idiotic. They played a game, they won the game. Ex post facto forfeitures don't mean shit.

(I don't even recognize the forfeitures of games from the entire Fab Five era. Michigan played for the title that one year, no stupid subsequent sanction will ever change that)

That second game, you basically played that instead of the national championship. OSU's AD is an idiot. He should have voluntarily banned the team from a bowl game that year. I mean they were 6-6, who cares. Instead, he though they were untouchable and got burned for it. The NCAA actually did something there.

I agree with this basically. If they were going to self impose a bowl ban, they should have done it the year that going to a bowl meant little with that record.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just saying they technically didn't win. If they would have played with only the players that were actually eligible, the outcome could have (probably) been different

Technically, they did win. I don't think any players that played in those games were declared ineligible. The team just "gave" forfeitures of those games as part of their punishment. Like I said, it is as stupid as saying that the Fab Five never won a game while they were at Michigan because they cheated. Its stupid.

Technically Pryor and co weren't eligible because they violated rules that should have resulted in suspensions. But Tressel covered it up (ignored it, lied about it) so they could play. So in a system in which the rules were followed exactly, they wouldn't have played. Though in that fantasy world the SEC would look much different too

Technically Pryor and co weren't eligible because they violated rules that should have resulted in suspensions. But Tressel covered it up (ignored it, lied about it) so they could play. So in a system in which the rules were followed exactly, they wouldn't have played. Though in that fantasy world the SEC would look much different too

I am not so certain that those "violations" would have resulted in suspensions. They sold or traded trinkets that personally belonged to them. If I were their counsel I would argue that no NCAA rule prohibits a player from disposing of his or her personal property. I mean, they sold/traded gold pants charms that they got for beating Michigan. Hell, they could afford to dispose of those because they had several others in reserve for all the times they beat Michigan. No harm, no foul.

That issue never got litigated because of the bigger "failure to rat on people" violation occurred, sure.

"failure to rat on people"? or failure to comply with the rules? If there wasn't anything wrong with what they were doing Tressel would still be the coach

I'm not arguing that I agree with the rules, just that they were there. Considering Dez Bryant got fucked for eating dinner with Deion, I could easily see the players missing games. Especially since they were suspended later anyway.

"failure to rat on people"? or failure to comply with the rules? If there wasn't anything wrong with what they were doing Tressel would still be the coach

I'm not arguing that I agree with the rules, just that they were there. Considering Dez Bryant got fucked for eating dinner with Deion, I could easily see the players missing games. Especially since they were suspended later anyway.

The main point is that ex post facto forfeitures are fucking stupid. Fine these schools a ton of money....which is all they care about anyway, but leave the fucking record books alone.

• 6 months later...

Get your facts straight. The NCAA knew about the violation BEFORE the game. The players in question were suspended for the first five games of the next season. The issue was over until AD Gene Smith uncovered evidence about Tressel and notified the NCAA.

typical Michigan Idiot, not knowing what the hell they are talking about...

Archived