THE BROWNS BOARD

Shep's Morning Wisdom, Nov. 3

Shep

"Teams combined for 5,544 points through eight weeks, the most in NFL history for that period. The previous high was last season (SHEP: Trend?) at 5,384.

It's CLEARLY A QUARTERBACK LEAGUE. There were 614 touchdowns, also a record through eight weeks, and 371 of those cam through the air, topping the previous midseason record of 356 in 2012."

- Sam Farmer, LA TIMES, TODAY (he's good, and referenced for my nemesis)

- The Browns are the very best deep pass defense in the NFL (8 of 38)... and that mostly speaks to Buster Skrine, who got beat deep a lot last year but is now becoming (literally and statistically) one of the league's best CBs.

But it also gives props to both safeties. Gipson not only has an assload of tackles, he also has 7 PDs and 2 picks. He's playing in the top 20 of all safeties.

We're not giving up big plays, which in turn helps limit the ypa for each play against us. If we could just get off the freaking pitch, we'd have an elite defence.

31st in 3rd down %

So... Skrine and Gipson have played well... thanks for the update... and for sharing the "wisdom"... B)

"This guy is some kind of genius..."

Shep feels like he must debate that it's "a quarterback league" even though no one contradicts him. They just don't think it's really a debatable issue. Everybody knows it.

Reminds me of when Sam Malone went out on limb to stand up for "grass" over "turf".

Zombo

--This reporter is not afraid to say that he is firmly in favor of good quarterbacks.

I can't quit you, Z. You make me laugh even when flipping me shit.

BUT... an entire thread was opened here contradicting the FACT that it's a quarterback/passing league. I'm here to help, as you know.

Shep feels like he must debate that it's "a quarterback league" even though no one contradicts him. They just don't think it's really a debatable issue. Everybody knows it.

Reminds me of when Sam Malone went out on limb to stand up for "grass" over "turf".

Zombo

--This reporter is not afraid to say that he is firmly in favor of good quarterbacks.

The last line was written after you were unmanageably high, but...

Yeah, Johnny Cash is edging into the top five and Tajh helped redeem himself. He still won't go higher than 15th.

i thought sheps thread would be about all the glam-boy QBs who shined yesterday.

shep's dream QB: david bowie. plays for the Quintucket Queefs.

You are welcome. Thanks for appreciating me.

We do appreciate you- but lay off the college quarterback juice until at least after the Stanford- Oregon game this Thursday. We will be scouting your man-crush. And regarding Winston- HE'S NOT READY YET!!!!

LOL...

Speaking of Bowie... huge fan here... at least until Tin Machine... no idea what that was about.

One of my concert claims-to-fame is attending his U.S. debut The Music Hall... The Ziggy tour...

My afternoon wisdom (!):

- Flat out amazing how good this team is with competent quarterbacking, either Hoyer or Campbell. Also points out just how god awful horrible Weeden is. Guy might be out of the league next year. I'm dead serious.

- So what other holes do we have? Line is awesome when anybody except Weeden plays. Little sure looked awesome today, as did Bess. Wouldn't change a damn thing on the defense except maybe add a corner with some size. But Haden-Skrine can start for the next seven years, thank you. Same with Gipson and Ward.

- I like Fozzy. I could see him, Dion, and Obie on the team next year. Since all three of those guys can catch, I'd like to see us add a badass power back. I don't know... maybe a Buckeye?

- And then we obviously draft our long-term QB. It's kind of a luxury to have so few needs. We could get another TE for 12s. Draft a WR in round 2, perhaps (I'd like some more speed, maybe a little guy but built a little stouter than Benjie).

- If we beat the Bengals next week, playoffs become a serious possibility. With all our money and picks, that's fine. We can still trade up and get a guy we like (Manziel).

My afternoon wisdom (!):

- If we beat the Bengals next week, playoffs become a serious possibility. With all our money and picks, that's fine. We can still trade up and get a guy we like (Manziel).

Are you trying to kill me by mentioning Manziel in every post?

My afternoon wisdom (!):

- Flat out amazing how good this team is with competent quarterbacking, either Hoyer or Campbell. Also points out just how god awful horrible Weeden is. Guy might be out of the league next year. I'm dead serious.

- So what other holes do we have? Line is awesome when anybody except Weeden plays. Little sure looked awesome today, as did Bess. Wouldn't change a damn thing on the defense except maybe add a corner with some size. But Haden-Skrine can start for the next seven years, thank you. Same with Gipson and Ward.

- I like Fozzy. I could see him, Dion, and Obie on the team next year. Since all three of those guys can catch, I'd like to see us add a badass power back. I don't know... maybe a Buckeye?

- And then we obviously draft our long-term QB. It's kind of a luxury to have so few needs. We could get another TE for 12s. Draft a WR in round 2, perhaps (I'd like some more speed, maybe a little guy but built a little stouter than Benjie).

I hate talking draft, but I think we need a more versatile O-Line. We are decent at pass blocking, but our run blocking is sub par.

My afternoon wisdom (!):

Glad you're coming around to my way of thinking. :) I said we'll find out if we're pretenders or contenders after this game. We have a BIG game coming up in two weeks against the (beat up) Bungles. The D is playing lights out- too bad Horton is probably gone after this year.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff (as a first round pick) had to give Weeden enough rope to hang himself. Consider him hanged.

Amazing ain't it when the qb can actually feel pressure, get the hell out of Dodge, see open receivers, and occasionally toss an accurate ball with some touch?

Beat Bungels- beat Jets- we're on our way.

My afternoon wisdom (!):

But, yet, recall, it WAS Weeden that won that Buffalo game....coming off the bench when the Browns were behind 7-0.

We need a running game....and I don't know if Fozzy is it. They WILL have to use this next draft to upgrade, particularly at that spot.

Glad you're coming around to my way of thinking. :) I said we'll find out if we're pretenders or contenders after this game. We have a BIG game coming up in two weeks against the (beat up) Bungles. The D is playing lights out- too bad Horton is probably gone after this year.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff (as a first round pick) had to give Weeden enough rope to hang himself. Consider him hanged.

Amazing ain't it when the qb can actually feel pressure, get the hell out of Dodge, see open receivers, and occasionally toss an accurate ball with some touch?

Beat Bungels- beat Jets- we're on our way.

While the Browns are on the bye week, the Bengals and Ravens have to play each other....and the Steelers play the Bills.

Oh, I agree, Gip. We'll add another back. I'm just saying Fozzy looks to have some really nice quicks and can catch, the kind of back they really like for this offense. But same is true of Dion Lewis and Obie-Wan.

Carlos Hyde HAS to be moving up draft boards. Not long ago I saw him on CBS as a 5th round pick. No way.

While the Browns are on the bye week, the Bengals and Ravens have to play each other....and the Steelers play the Bills.

Hate to say it- we may have to root for the Ratbirds. The Steelers are getting too close for comfort in my book to the "play like clowns for Clowney" Bowl.Virtually all the other suck teams are truly qb needy, and the last thing I want to see is the next Mean Joe Green fall right into the Squealers lap.If he's on the board when they draft, it will take them about 1\2 a nanosecond to turn in their card.

Hate to say it- we may have to root for the Ratbirds. The Steelers are getting too close for comfort in my book to the "play like clowns for Clowney" Bowl.Virtually all the other suck teams are truly qb needy, and the last thing I want to see is the next Mean Joe Green fall right into the Squealers lap.If he's on the board when they draft, it will take them about 1\2 a nanosecond to turn in their card.

I highly doubt he'll be there when they draft. Oakland Tampa, Jacksonville and at least minnesota will be drafting ahead of them. They've got the bills next, with Jeff Tuel at QB, which should be winnable, and they've still got 2 games left against us - not 100% that we'll sweep them. Plus, there's always a chance they pick up a lucky win along the way. They'll take whichever OT they can get their hands on, their line is a shambles and one of the big reasons for their failings. Maybe it's jake matthews, maybe it's Taylor Lewan, whoever. They've got to go OL first, surely. Meanwhile, how's Jarvis Jones doing?

EJ Manuel may start. And they're inches from being a really, really good team. Next year, with a healthy Manuel, they could be a playoff team.

But yes to Ravens over Bengals. Makes total sense. This division could be a total scrum of .500-ish teams soon. We beat the Bengals, we're 5-5 and they're 6-5 but we clearly own the tiebreakers after sweeping them.

EJ Manuel may start. And they're inches from being a really, really good team. Next year, with a healthy Manuel, they could be a playoff team.

But yes to Ravens over Bengals. Makes total sense. This division could be a total scrum of .500-ish teams soon. We beat the Bengals, we're 5-5 and they're 6-5 but we clearly own the tiebreakers after sweeping them.

If Manuel starts it's a different story, even if he's just game managing, he's a massive upgrade over Tuel - who was so bad against us that they took Thad Lewis off the practise squad.

Archived