THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Draft, Quarterbacks, November Edition

Shep

- If you ask five different NFL execs, you might get five different answers to the question: who is the top senior quarterback prospect in the 2014 class? Over the summer, I narrowed my list to three names: Clemson's Tajh Boyd, LSU's Zach Mettenberger and Fresno State'sDerek Carr. And after 10 weeks of college football and hours of tape study, I find myself leaning more and more towards Carr as the top senior at his position.

If you're looking for a technically-sound passer with flawless footwork who stands in the face of pressure, then Carr likely isn't your guy. But if you want a quarterback with a golden arm, quick release and the appetite for football, then Carr will grow on you the more you watch him, much like Matthew Stafford from the 2009 draft class. He definitely has some bad habits with his set up and overall pocket tolerance, but he plays with energy, improves the play of his teammates and makes NFL throw after NFL throw. Not only is he a strong candidate to be the top senior quarterback drafted, but the top-10 is a real possibility.

- Dane Brugler, CBS, Today

Derek Carr sounds like EXACTLY the guy you wanna bring in and sit for a half season behind Campbell or Hoyer, let Chorv coach him up. Definitely has the arm, the wheels, and the character. He's getting more "top 10" talk by the day. Might be in that top four with Teddy, Marcus, and Johnny.

No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

Really? Why the f*** would you draft 2 players on D? We are ranked 6th against the pass, and 7th against the run. 4th in total yards/game. 13th in scoring D, which is still top half. All of our players on D are young, sans DQJ. The only FA is Ward, and he already said he wants to stay in CLE. Just wondering why that makes any sense?

Offense is 16th in pass yds, 25th in rush yds, 26th in total yards, and the 26th ranked scoring O... hmm... Right, we should definetly draft D...

The only defensive guy you look at with that first pick is Clowney if for some miracle he's still there. I don't think there's a chance in hell of the steelers passing on him if they pick before us. That has me greatly irritated, I do not want to see that guy in the AFC North. If Clowneys gone you almost have to go after one of those qb's if they're still there. If the guy we want is gone, get the best OL you can. If there's a blue chip LB'er there with the indy pick, I would strongly consider that because we need someone to backup up dqwell then take over in 2 or 3 years. This is how the steelers build their defenses. Everyones saying how Jarvis Jones is sitting on the bench...and? He's being bred to take over the interior of the LB'ing corp and getting the benefit of an NFL training program so his body is built up to sustain a full season by the time it's his team. Put Clowney on that front 7 with him, fuck is all i'm gonna say. Fuck.

We are ranked 6th against the pass

honestly that's all on our interior guys and the secondary. Our edges are just not getting home. Our interior lineman destroyed the Ravens last week, without that Flacco would have carved us cause the edges weren't bothering him hardly at all. I kid not if this team had Hali and Houston as our OLB'ers we would be the best defense that ever stepped foot on an NFL field.

... Carr will grow on you the more you watch him, much like Matthew Stafford from the 2009 draft class. He definitely has some bad habits with his set up and overall pocket tolerance...

- Dane Brugler, CBS, Today

1. I am not a Stafford fan... so there's that.

2. I would never take a QB in the first round that "has some bad habits". Just a recipe for disaster. I know opinions of Timmah Couch vary 'round here, but I knew we were in trouble when Palmer said, "We just have to imrpove his throwing motion."

1. I am not a Stafford fan... so there's that.

2. I would never take a QB in the first round that "has some bad habits". Just a recipe for disaster. I know opinions of Timmah Couch vary 'round here, but I knew we were in trouble when Palmer said, "We just have to imrpove his throwing motion."

You have to wonder with 20\20 hindsight why the Departed Walrus wanted Wee-Done in the first round- when the book on him was "caves in under pressure."

That's the point: Carr does NOT cave under pressure and he can extend plays (great wheels). He needs a little refinement but we're not really using the word "raw" here because he isn't.

The Browns, with Campbell or Hoyer or both, are the ideal situation. He's younger with way more upside than either but you have time to get him the highest level pro coaching (Norv and Chud) before you have to start him.

I hope that was a typo, whoever said we should draft defensive players. You gonna bench guys giving up the lowest YPA in the NFL? The 4th lowest YPC? Seriously?

Who, exactly, do you intend to sit? The only thing we need to do on that side of the ball is add a corner with size (maybe round 3 or f/a) and perhaps someone to develop at ILB (again, round 3 or f/a). I could see another safety, maybe early round 4, but we're set with starters at all 11 positions and some.

This team will be focusing on getting the offense right. We'll certainly add a back (I love Carlos Hyde, complements Dion Lewis and Obie so well) and maybe another TE (love the Texas Tech kid). The sure thing is a long-term quarterback.

What I'm loving is, when you look at the priorities, holes in the team, you don't have a massive list:

Must get: QB, WR, RB

Cover/rotation needed: OG, ILB, TE

If you look at us covering a couple of those with FA, then the draft becomes a lot clearer. We can package picks to either move up in the first round, or maybe two 4th rounders to move in to the second, a third and a 5th, a third and a 6th to get in to the second round. Then you have two firsts and three seconds, plus whatever you didn't package, late round garbage, to get the positions you need.

Every defensive position is about coverage now, including ILB. Trevathon goes 2nd round now that everybody woke up. That's exactly what Robertson does because he's quick and fast, just learning a little still. REALLY tough to draft a guy who's actually gonna play better real Sunday football than him.

We don't need a lot. Those 10 picks will turn into 6 higher ones. Bet on it. And a few serious f/a adds. Maybe 5 starter or rotation guys total... and they can all be from the top of the barrel. I'd say QB, RB, WR, TE, OL... uhhhhhhhh... someone in the DB? A developmental ILB? That'd be my top 7 with a few of those really depth.

Priorities are QB and RB.

Didn't we just trade a RB?

Aren't we undefeated with QBs not named Wheezy?

:)

Love our D, but we are a good D, not a dominant one. We are not turning the ball over. I still think we have to improve up the middle.

• Love Big Phil at NT and Hughes is a nice rotation guy.
  • We need an impact ILB.
  • TJ is playing great... against the run.
  • We can upgrade the FS position.
  • Ditto our CB position.

O side...

• I'm still not in the 1st round camp for QB. (McCarron in 3 works for me)
  • Barring any massive increase in consistency, WR is a priority. (Still an Abbrederis fan)
  • And yes, we need a RB... or two (maybe Hyde, but Sims (WVa) or White (Wis) work for me)
  • I think RT is an issue (I know no shot at Jake, but Henderson (Mia) looks promising)
  • Internal line needs quality depth.

Here's the thing as I see it...

We are in a great situation to take BPA's throughout the draft. Even if a BPA turns out to be a redundant DE that upgrades the position, we could live with that.

And we can trade away excess picks to stock pile future draft picks. Doing so ensures our relevance for years to come.

We do not need to roll the dice and go All-in for any one player.

The Tennessee LB reminds me of Ray Lewis. Projected first round.

Weaker in pass coverage but is a hard hitter, fiery and fast.

Hmmm. Our weakness there has been in coverage - DQJ is a tackling machine and Robertson looks good in the tackle. It'd be nice to have extra depth, but for a starter we'd need someone with coverage skills.

This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

I'll pass.

Indeed, Mariota did neither his Heisman trophy candidacy nor his draft rating any good last night. He was highly inaccurate with the pressure that Stanford was putting on him. He is still clearly a prospect....but a can't miss no brainer? Ah....No

I do think the talent in the draft would allow us to pick a QB with our second 1st rounder but I don't believe the FO will wait that long to draft someone.

I think in order for us to wait on a QB someone too good to pass up would have to fall to us. Not sure who would qualify as a top talent falling to us, maybe Clowney but even he has had his issues with motivation.

Carr had another amazing day yesterday with 4 more TDs and 0 INTs, looked excellent doing it, made several "whoa" NFL throws. He has a ton of experience and his numbers over his career are beyond ridiculous. I think he's at 32/4 this year and 37/7 last year. As Sobo said, he's now being talked about as a "day one starter," like Bridgewater, and that increases your stock. He's making calls at the line, etc.

Manziel went off again yesterday with like 470 yards and 5 TDs and is the only QB capable of shredding Alabama... but he's a touch reckless and needs to get a little stronger. In many ways, it would make him the ideal pick to sit behind Hoyer for a year, get physically stronger, etc. As someone else pointed out, he's only 20, like Rodgers was.

On the OBR draft board, which some freaky draftnicks, the favorite at 16-ish is Brett Hundley because of his off the charts physical upside and the luxury to get fine tuned before he takes over. He's rebounded well from the bad Stanford game.

It's a broad net, but as of today, I'd expect one of those three to be the Browns first pick. Question is whether they have to move up to get the guy they want. Teams rarely take what the draft drops to them at the most important position.

Kenny Guiton, really? This is not the Buckeyes of old, they do not run a pro style offense anymore. As good as Guiton looks in Meyer's O forget him in the NFL. We need to draft a pro style QB.

I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

From what I've read about Hundley he has the arm strength, size, mobility etc, and is a project QB. I can only assume, then, that the project is developing his mental game. After seeing Brandon Weeden fail to develop mentally, I'm a little skeptical about that kind of project, rightly or wrongly.

I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

Archived