THE BROWNS BOARD

Horton Names Gipson His Midseason MVP

Shep

Come on!!!!

He said he's trusting his athleticism. He's a really good athlete, as two coaches in a row (both former pro DBs) have said! He isn't athletically limited AND he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time... so replace him?

The added dimension this year is the big hits. Last year, Jauron talked about him having everything you look for in a FS, but he was mostly saying he had great instincts and had played corner, a popular prescription for today's free safety.

He's only gonna get better, like Horton said. He hasn't even played the position that long and already he's good. We should be celebrating! Skrine, Gipson, and Robertson are Heckert finds. Maybe he mistook them for strippers.

Come on!!!!

He said he's trusting his athleticism. He's a really good athlete, as two coaches in a row (both former pro DBs) have said! He isn't athletically limited AND he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time... so replace him?

The added dimension this year is the big hits. Last year, Jauron talked about him having everything you look for in a FS, but he was mostly saying he had great instincts and had played corner, a popular prescription for today's free safety.

He's only gonna get better, like Horton said. He hasn't even played the position that long and already he's good. We should be celebrating! Skrine, Gipson, and Robertson are Heckert finds. Maybe he mistook them for strippers.

I've dug too deep into my stance to agree with that.

No coach will ever say that their starter isn't a good athlete. You have to realize, some of that is coach speak while some is truth. Gipson is a smart player and is athletic enough to be able to play as a serviceable safety, when in the right circumstances. These just happen to be the right circumstances.

I don't think Gipson will ever be the player to put the team on his back and win the game, but I also don't think he'll ever be the player to really cost us a game either.

He's Jim Belushi. Underwhelming and bland. Accomplishes nothing spectacular, yet still has a job. A cauliflower and egg white sandwich on white bread. He just...is.

As Horton put it...he's an unremarkable.

He's a guy that, 20 years from now when you're recalling the great Browns defense of the 2010's, you won't quite remember who played safety. You'll remember Mingo, and Haden, and Kruger, and Taylor, and Ward...but you'll draw a blank on Gipson.

He's renal potatoes and a spoonful of tapioca pudding.

I want some sizzle.

My instant reaction... Horton calling Gipson "MVP" reminded me of Tommy Lasorda calling Orel Hershiser "Bulldog"

Certainly Horon's is the oddest definition of unremarkable I've ever heard...

"I use the word ‘unremarkable,’ meaning on a piece of paper when you’re watching practice and grading you don’t remark anything about him because he’s always in the right place doing the right thing."

WTF Ray? :blink:

As Horton put it...he's an unremarkable.

He's a guy that, 20 years from now when you're recalling the great Browns defense of the 2010's, you won't quite remember who played safety. You'll remember Mingo, and Haden, and Kruger, and Taylor, and Ward...but you'll draw a blank on Gipson.

He's renal potatoes and a spoonful of tapioca pudding.

I want some sizzle.

You can't have all-pros at every position TC. I may send you a check for $20 if you can name the starting safetys for the Broncos, Chiefs, and Seahawks without cheating- and I'll even spot you Eric Berry.

Browns? Felix Wright? Ever hear of him?

You can't have all-pros at every position TC. I may send you a check for $20 if you can name the starting safetys for the Broncos, Chiefs, and Seahawks without cheating- and I'll even spot you Eric Berry.

Good ol Flex...hellava damn fine safety...pretty similar body type with Haden..him and Haden are cat like...that backfield with Minnifield and Dixon was great...those guys flew and hit hard...

Steve Atwater and Eugene Robinson???

I liked Felix, but liked Thom a helluva lot more...

Good ol Flex...hellava damn fine safety...pretty similar body type with Haden..him and Haden are cat like...that backfield with Minnifield and Dixon was great...those guys flew and hit hard...

Sort of where I'm at right now- a little improvement from Skrine and Gipson, and this defensive backfield is right up there with the original Dawgs in talent level. To those who want a 6'2" Peterson- Mighty Minnie was a shrimp.

Steve Atwater and Eugene Robinson???

I liked Felix, but liked Thom a helluva lot more...

Probably the best Brown at the position all time. But Don Rodgers and Eric Turner are up there too.

Eric Berry, Earl Thomas and Rahim Moore.

All three were first round picks, if I'm not mistaken.

I didn't have to look them up, because they're 3 of the top safeties in the league at the moment. And plus Moore is the one who cost the Beoncos that playoff game.

Sort of where I'm at right now- a little improvement from Skrine and Gipson, and this defensive backfield is right up there with the original Dawgs in talent level. To those who want a 6'2" Peterson- Mighty Minnie was a shrimp.

Probably the best Brown at the position all time. But Don Rodgers and Eric Turner are up there too.

Hanford Dixon always seemed to get the limelight . as good a tackler Dixon was..Minnie was by far the better athlete and corner...his jumping skills were fab for a little guy. Minnifield always got the #1 receiver to cover and seldom gave up anything...I feel this unit could be better (the current backfield)..gipson included.

I admire TCPO digging in.

What does Ray Horton know?

But from 1986's "About last Night" to 1991's "Curly Sue", Jim Belushi's bland ass was was consistent box office cash.

That's a six year run of solid numbers ... I'll take that from the Gipper at FS.

K-9 raked in 39 mil in 1989 and it was just Jim and a German Shepherd. Sure, the German Shepherd had more charisma, but the studio got paid didn't they? Just like we are #5 defense with Gips back there.

Gips is athletic, can hit and is about to pick off Andy Dalton twice this week. I think that is all TCPO needs to see ... a little more ballhawking.

Zombo

Skrine is literally having a near Pro Bowl season. You can't really upgrade what he's doing as a #2 corner. It isn't mathematically probable, let's say. He's playing lights out.

Gipson isn't "lights out" because of the completion percentage, but he is playing really good football. Like Horton, I expect him to keep growing into the role. Next year will actually be his "Skrine Year," his second year of playing full-time.

In 2014, Haden and Skrine will be recognized as one of the best corner tandems in football and Gipson will be acknowledged as a top 10 FS.

Skrine is literally having a near Pro Bowl season. You can't really upgrade what he's doing as a #2 corner. It isn't mathematically probable, let's say. He's playing lights out.

Gipson isn't "lights out" because of the completion percentage, but he is playing really good football. Like Horton, I expect him to keep growing into the role. Next year will actually be his "Skrine Year," his second year of playing full-time.

In 2014, Haden and Skrine will be recognized as one of the best corner tandems in football and Gipson will be acknowledged as a top 10 FS.

cant argue with that...

I admire TCPO digging in.

What does Ray Horton know?

But from 1986's "About last Night" to 1991's "Curly Sue", Jim Belushi's bland ass was was consistent box office cash.

That's a six year run of solid numbers ... I'll take that from the Gipper at FS.

K-9 raked in 39 mil in 1989 and it was just Jim and a German Shepherd. Sure, the German Shepherd had more charisma, but the studio got paid didn't they? Just like we are #5 defense with Gips back there.

Gips is athletic, can hit and is about to pick off Andy Dalton twice this week. I think that is all TCPO needs to see ... a little more ballhawking.

Zombo

I just want a safety that teams need to fear. If he can average a pick every two games, i'd be content.

Hanford Dixon always seemed to get the limelight . as good a tackler Dixon was..Minnie was by far the better athlete and corner...his jumping skills were fab for a little guy. Minnifield always got the #1 receiver to cover and seldom gave up anything...I feel this unit could be better (the current backfield)..gipson included.

"In 1987 only 7 passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon." - Greg Brinda, WKNR Radio Cleveland (3:24 mark of the video)

Loved them both, but in my eyes Dixon was 1A to Minniefield's 1B in the #2 CB tandem of all-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZwoG5zPeY <===== gave me goosebumps

As I recall only Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes bested them in the list.

"In 1987 only 7 passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon." - Greg Brinda, WKNR Radio Cleveland (3:24 mark of the video)

Loved them both, but in my eyes Dixon was 1A to Minniefield's 1B in the #2 CB tandem of all-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZwoG5zPeY <===== gave me goosebumps

As I recall only Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes bested them in the list.

They were both great,no doubt. without them...Our D-Line wouldve been easily exposed. Our LB's were very solid...wouldnt call them great.But, very stalwart....Big Daddy and Bubba Baker were wiley old fun....God I miss them days...

He's not playing as well this year as last year OR preseason, when he covered Tavon Austin step for step. He's also taken some bad angles a couple times and missed tackles, VERY out of character.

He's an ideal "new breed" 3-4 ILB with crazy quicks and cover ability, but he has been the closest thing to a disappointment (tough to say on a defense this good). AND... because of his burst, he has 3 sacks. I knew he'd do well up the middle in the Daryl Washington role.

He'd be the guy you could see facing some competition in camp unless he cleans up his game. He was one of the stars of preseason and got a ton of love from Horton... not so much lately.

A.J. Johnson would be a good acquisition in the second round.

His weakness is in pass coverage but it's not for a lack of athletic talent. He's a quick twitch athlete with great speed and fluid hips, and he absolutely punishes anyone he hits.

If he comes out, I would love to see him in orange and brown. I'm sure Haslam is talking him up as well.

Ryan Shazier is probably the fastest LB I've seen in the last few years, and he's another guy I would love to see us grab, although he's more suited to be a 4-3 OLB.

Or you can say, "he has the ability... we can teach him up."

He's not playing as well this year as last year OR preseason, when he covered Tavon Austin step for step.

In about 20 yards Austin went from a step behind Robertson to a step ahead. Hardly "step-for step"...

I doubt the coaches are rushing to give up on Robertson. He's cat quick and fits this defense really well. As a huge fan (he was pretty awesome last year), I have to admit I've been scratching my head a little at the whiffs, bad angles, and bad coverage.

We'll see how things go from here. He seemed like a dream fit.

I doubt the coaches are rushing to give up on Robertson. He's cat quick and fits this defense really well. As a huge fan (he was pretty awesome last year), I have to admit I've been scratching my head a little at the whiffs, bad angles, and bad coverage.

We'll see how things go from here. He seemed like a dream fit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/29/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-linebackers/

The dream was more of a nightmare, statistically.

Archived