THE BROWNS BOARD

weedens quote

browni8878

Spot-on. I will contend, until I see differently, that big name players and coaches are simply not going to come to Cleveland willingly. The only time a big- name play comes here is when he is traded and has no say in the matter. The city is known as a dump, the sports franchises are historically bad, the Browns specifically are the epitome of chaos, and the city management is inept at best and inept/corrupt at worst. Why bring your family here for basically the same amount of money you could go elsewhere?

I don't think "big name players" avoid coming here. Two of the top FAs in last year's class are here. Kruger/Bryant...and any number of others. They go where the money is.

As for "big name" coaches, the Browns have been like the Steelers....they haven't gone after the "Big name" coach.. and when they did, like Eric Mangini, they got burned.

True...what I don't understand with so many Browns fans is the knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't be sold on a certain player, certainly not a QB, until I've watched a couple solid years of performance. So many Browns fans make the great/sucks opinion after a couple games.

Given the fact that weeden was nothing special when he came out of college, followed by several years of baseball, and the fact that nobody else showed interest in him as an NFL player, would have made me skeptical at best and he would have had to earn my excitement. The Browns just keep hoping to find a diamond in the rough and it just doesn't happen in the NFL.......especially in the franchise that has the least success of all franchises over the past 50 years.

But.....it DOES happen in the NFL. Tom Brady was a diamond in the rough. So was Joe Montana. so is Russell Wilson/Kurt Warner/Tony Romo (if you consider him a diamond).

Is that normal? By all means no. But it can happen. The Browns HAVE tried to go the typical way.....get your QB in the first round.

That has garnered us Tim Couch/Brady Quinn/Brandon Weeden.

If you want to say the Browns have had the least success at drafting QBs over the last about 20 years, I would say yes.

Certainly not the last 50. Bernie Kosar for which the #1 overall pick was used certainly was a success.

And the Browns got the ultimate Diamond in the rough QB perhaps in NFL history: 13th rounder #331 overall.....to NFL MVP, Brian Sipe.

I excuse you for not knowing your history. You are, after all, a Steeler fan and that is to be expected.

True...what I don't understand with so many Browns fans is the knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't be sold on a certain player, certainly not a QB, until I've watched a couple solid years of performance. So many Browns fans make the great/sucks opinion after a couple games.

Given the fact that weeden was nothing special when he came out of college, followed by several years of baseball, and the fact that nobody else showed interest in him as an NFL player, would have made me skeptical at best and he would have had to earn my excitement. The Browns just keep hoping to find a diamond in the rough and it just doesn't happen in the NFL.......especially in the franchise that has the least success of all franchises over the past 50 years.

Well, I wasn't all over Weeden- and I thought the Browns were stupid to not only take Richardson high, but give up picks to do so. LOL, I learned the hard way about 12 years ago to not buy a player's jersey- at least until he made a few Pro Bowls. Still have a Couch jersey gathering dust in the basement. One thing is certain- Weeden is unbelievably bad. Too slow on the draw, makes far too many bonehead plays, and has zero touch on his passes- if you were paying attention Sunday I'm sure you noticed his short range high speed missiles that were either off target, or so hot his receivers couldn't handle them. Not that I"d want to bring the circus to town (plenty of fans would though) I think Tim Tebow couldn't do much worse than Weedster. If he wasn't a first round pick, he'd already have been cut.

Least success or just plain bad luck? We've swung and missed 20 times, trying everything possible. First round- Couch, Quinn, Weeden. Mid rounds Frye, McCoy. Low rounds, Spergon Wynn (incidentally Brady was right behind him in round 6 that year). Free agents- Anderson, Garcia, Delhomme. Trades- Seneca Wallace. Anything else you can think of we could try next?

As far as getting excited- we're hoping Bryan Hoyer can be our lucky break- just like the Rams pulled a grocery bagger special in Kurt Warner. Have to root for the kid, as he's a Cleveland native. However, it's going to take more than two nice games and part of a third to convince the Cleveland fan base. (Yeah, I get your point about Cleveland fans getting all excited about stuff like that) Scott Mitchell made a ton of money off of one great game.

This team needs three good quarterbacks just to rotate the one healthy one in. A running game would help. Not dropping back to pass 57 times a game in the AFC North would help. Not getting yourself in a turnover-forced hole every week would help.

But, right now, we need a first round pick, Hoyer and Campbell next year and hope one of them can peel off a six game healthy stretch.

Zombo

Well Z man which one of this bunch of also rans do you want? Which one is the guy to leave this to the promised land?

We are talking about the 3rd 4th or 5th best prospect in a weak quarterback draft.

Of course just as I don't see a franchise quarterback in this draft neither do I see a franchise running back.

Even if there was one we will need a center when Mack bails out and a guard or it won't matter who is running the ball.

Or throwing it.

WSS

Well Z man which one of this bunch of also rans do you want? Which one is the guy to leave this to the promised land?

We are talking about the 3rd 4th or 5th best prospect in a weak quarterback draft.

Of course just as I don't see a franchise quarterback in this draft neither do I see a franchise running back.

Even if there was one we will need a center when Mack bails out and a guard or it won't matter who is running the ball.

Or throwing it.

WSS

I haven't much looked at the prospects yet, but I think Banner, Lombardi, Farmer, Chud, Turner et al will have all the information to make the right decision. I don't blame them for Weeden, Quinn, Couch or any other draft bust of the past, I think they had a good eye with Hoyer, and they were smart to sign both Hoyer and Camps to two year contracts, so we take a shot a young talented guy this year and he doesn't have to start opening day if he's not ready.

I just don't get into the prospects until after the season, apparently there is no Andrew Luck this year, there rarely is, and we wouldn't get him anyway ... but teams are unearthing good QBs later in the first and later in the draft all of the time, I'm thinking maybe we will be one of them. Take a crack at the best-fitting QB on the board, what else ya going do?

Zombo

Well of course you are correct. There is really nothing else to do but wait and let the front office do what they choose. Also let the coaches call the plays they want, set up the offense and defense as they see fit, sit back put up our feet and wait until spring.

But then you rob this collection of pundits of a reason for existence.

;)

WSS

Archived