THE BROWNS BOARD

All you former Weeden supporters need to apologize

HurricanE

Bess - Miss was brought in to be a possession receiver- Developed some dropitis, but what are you looking for in a #3 WR?

Catching the football? Besides, he's officially the #2 receiver ... although they are both pretty much worthless, except for the one game where Campbell got them both involved.

Zombo

Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

Of course that is all hindsight. What Holmgren/Heckert wanted was a taller/stronger/stronger armed QB than they had in McCoy.

Well, they DID get that. Weeden is much taller and his arm is much stronger. He has great arm strength. Arm strength isn't his problem. Brain strength is his problem. If Arm strength was all that mattered we would have had one of the most stable QB situations in the NFL the last 6-7 years because Derek Anderson would still be here as our starting QB.

I mean, Derek Anderson is right now just 30 years old....an age where he should be in the prime of his career.....if his career had held the arc that he established in 2007.

But DA and Weeden, besides being the same age (DA born June 1983, BW Oct. 1983) seemed to have come out of the same womb when it comes to QB intellect.

If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

I rechecked the QB ratings, and you are right, he is lower than I thought. But what has not been answered is, why on earth did they pick him? A first round draft choice is a valuable commodity. And I felt at the time that Weeden equivalents are around on the waiver list all the time, so why draft one? Every team has draft busts, and every team also has overachievers who come from Podunk State, but this pick just made no sense from the get go.

I rechecked the QB ratings, and you are right, he is lower than I thought. But what has not been answered is, why on earth did they pick him? A first round draft choice is a valuable commodity. And I felt at the time that Weeden equivalents are around on the waiver list all the time, so why draft one? Every team has draft busts, and every team also has overachievers who come from Podunk State, but this pick just made no sense from the get go.

He's averaging only 50% completion rate, (and don't blame that all on Bess or Little- he's wildly inaccurate) 9\9 TD-INT ratio and a qbr of 70. most importantly, hasn't really won a game yet this year. That screams backup at best. He's had almost 2 seasons to show what he's got- and it isn't enough.

Weeden- and Richardson for that matter- were panic picks by H&H. Both were major reaches. Win now or bust- well, they busted big time. What they thought they saw in Brandon was a mature guy who could step right in and light up the league. They saw college tapes of that cannon arm tossing rainbows to a wide open Blackmon. What they didn't count on were his major flaws- panics under pressure- How many underhand bloopers has he tossed so far? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I count 4. Let's add in those strip sacks that have killed drives and games. Until he got into the Big Boy League, his other major failing wasn't apparent- between his ears- can't process the speed of the pro game adequately.

The guy is anti-clutch, take it to the bank he's gone after this year. He may possibly hang around the league a few years as a backup- mainly because of that cannon arm- but honestly, Colt McCoy has better credentials as a backup than Wee-Done.

Archived