THE BROWNS BOARD

Here's Why You Want the Browns to Get "Their Guy" NOW

Shep

Tough to say who'll come out number #1 in 2015 between Mariota and Winston, but I don't expect the Browns to be in the running. They just have too much young core talent, 10 draft picks, and among the most cap space in the league. Even if good-not-great Hoyer is the starter, I think the Browns will field better skill players (say, add Allen Robinson, Dion Lewis, and Carlos Hyde to Gordon and Cameron), upgrade their line (with a draft pick, Faulk, and Pinkston), and win way too many games to be in the top 10.

Frankly, in that scenario with 3-4 free agents and a bunch of other draft picks, the Browns could win 10 games. Not a shocker at all. They might not whiff the top 10 for a lot of years, actually.

But I think they'd be the Bengals, a team with crazy talent all over the field but only a good, low-ceiling quarterback. Even though they're 8-4, I don't see the Bengals going to a Super Bowl with Dalton, let alone winning one.

So what should the Browns do? Well, losing out would make the most long term sense, to be brutally honest and politically incorrect. Then hope that Derek Carr looks like the real deal in his bowl game against decent competition and again throughout Senior Bowl week. Oh, and hope that we either draft ahead of Jacksonville and Minnesota or can get ahead of them. A lot of draftnicks are starting to see Carr in the top 3-4 with Bridgewater, Clowney, and Jake Matthews. He's earned it. He's done literally everything you could ask this year, made good decisions and been accurate all over the field... on top of the cannon arm and great wheels.

But what if the Browns can't get to Carr? Next option, and it's a really intriguing one, is to draft Brett Hundley at #6 or #7 or wherever they land... IF he comes out. Everything said above still stands true: Hoyer starts, the Browns add several skill players (Hyde, Lewis, Robinson, a TE) and 3-4 serious free agent additions (mostly on defense, but maybe an OL) and win 10 games.

But instead of wondering if they'll ever get a franchise quarterback (and without one, they aren't REALLY Super Bowl contenders)... they have one ready to don the new duds in the upgraded stadium, a ceiling-free potential star who knows the offense in Brett Hundley.

Third option? My favorite is probably Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round, trading down from two or up from three... or maybe just taking him with our current 2nd round pick to be safe. Screw "reach," it's quarterback and if you love him and think he could be your guy for 10 years, you don't risk missing out on him.

After two years, maybe you have Tony Romo without the choke factor (!).

Tough to say who'll come out number #1 in 2015 between Mariota and Winston, but I don't expect the Browns to be in the running. They just have too much young core talent, 10 draft picks, and among the most cap space in the league. Even if good-not-great Hoyer is the starter, I think the Browns will field better skill players (say, add Allen Robinson, Dion Lewis, and Carlos Hyde to Gordon and Cameron), upgrade their line (with a draft pick, Faulk, and Pinkston), and win way too many games to be in the top 10.

Frankly, in that scenario with 3-4 free agents and a bunch of other draft picks, the Browns could win 10 games. Not a shocker at all. They might not whiff the top 10 for a lot of years, actually.

But I think they'd be the Bengals, a team with crazy talent all over the field but only a good, low-ceiling quarterback. Even though they're 8-4, I don't see the Bengals going to a Super Bowl with Dalton, let alone winning one.

So what should the Browns do? Well, losing out would make the most long term sense, to be brutally honest and politically incorrect. Then hope that Derek Carr looks like the real deal in his bowl game against decent competition and again throughout Senior Bowl week. Oh, and hope that we either draft ahead of Jacksonville and Minnesota or can get ahead of them. A lot of draftnicks are starting to see Carr in the top 3-4 with Bridgewater, Clowney, and Jake Matthews. He's earned it. He's done literally everything you could ask this year, made good decisions and been accurate all over the field... on top of the cannon arm and great wheels.

But what if the Browns can't get to Carr? Next option, and it's a really intriguing one, is to draft Brett Hundley at #6 or #7 or wherever they land... IF he comes out. Everything said above still stands true: Hoyer starts, the Browns add several skill players (Hyde, Lewis, Robinson, a TE) and 3-4 serious free agent additions (mostly on defense, but maybe an OL) and win 10 games.

But instead of wondering if they'll ever get a franchise quarterback (and without one, they aren't REALLY Super Bowl contenders)... they have one ready to don the new duds in the upgraded stadium, a ceiling-free potential star who knows the offense in Brett Hundley.

Third option? My favorite is probably Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round, trading down from two or up from three... or maybe just taking him with our current 2nd round pick to be safe. Screw "reach," it's quarterback and if you love him and think he could be your guy for 10 years, you don't risk missing out on him.

After two years, maybe you have Tony Romo without the choke factor (!).

Everything I've heard on Browns Talk Radio suggests Hundley is NOT coming out. This is why I've been such an advocate of the Browns trading up to ensure they get Bridgewater or Carr.

In fact, I'm going to say something completely crazy here. I believe the QB positions is so important that it would be at least be worth considering drafting one "blue-chip QB" and another "under-the-radar" developmental QB in the 2014 draft. This would require more aggressiveness in free-agency (addressing a position such as WR or RB instead of in the draft, two positions that look to have good talent in this free-agency pool).

Everything I've heard on Browns Talk Radio suggests Hundley is NOT coming out. This is why I've been such an advocate of the Browns trading up to ensure they get Bridgewater or Carr.

In fact, I'm going to say something completely crazy here. I believe the QB positions is so important that it would be at least be worth considering drafting one "blue-chip QB" and another "under-the-radar" developmental QB in the 2014 draft. This would require more aggressiveness in free-agency (addressing a position such as WR or RB instead of in the draft, two positions that look to have good talent in this free-agency pool).

Bridgewatter and Carr suck...I'll pass...

I think the key for the Browns is hope Bridgewater or Carr are available with out first 1st round pick and draft another QB like Manziel, boyd, etc in the 2nd round or later. We need QB depth, we've seen what we have and that's a competitive player in Campbell... but he's not a winner; along with Weeden. Hoyer is the only QB on the current Browns roster that is still in his youth or younger days in the NFL and is a proven winner, so far. Adding depth to the most important position in the NFL is key; look at GB, Texans, Minnesota, Chicago, etc, these teams have lost their starting QB to injury or poor play and it is vital to have a formidable back-up for instances like those. Even say a starting QB goes out for 1 game with a concussion, that one game could be the difference between going to the playoffs or sitting on you couch watching the playoffs rubbing your pud. QB's are key and having the depth at the position is crucial for success. I bet the Browns wish they had another QB like Hoyer on the roster, after he went down with an ACL tear.

there were guys on the radio yammering to take Geno Smith, cough<dustin fox>cough cough, cause if he's "the guy" he's "the guy". Well thank god Smith wasn't "the guy". What makes a guy "the guy"? Bottom line is we have no fucking idea. All I want is for the Browns to not go after that guy that fails to read defense's correctly and then makes up for it by running. That guy eventually get's his ass handed to him. All qb's can get hurt at any given moment, but those guys that go running and don't know how to slide end up getting their teams fucked. Sad to say Hoyer did that to us this year. I don't mind a guy that has those wheels when it's wide open for him, but don't want the guy who thinks of himself as a hybrid qb/rb. That guy we don't need. We need a guy who slides around in the pocket like a greased pig, can't get a hold of him. Peyton Manning is like that and my 70 year old father might be able to push him in a 20 yd foot race.

I think the key for the Browns is hope Bridgewater or Carr are available with out first 1st round pick and draft another QB like Manziel, boyd, etc in the 2nd round or later. We need QB depth, we've seen what we have and that's a competitive player in Campbell... but he's not a winner; along with Weeden. Hoyer is the only QB on the current Browns roster that is still in his youth or younger days in the NFL and is a proven winner, so far. Adding depth to the most important position in the NFL is key; look at GB, Texans, Minnesota, Chicago, etc, these teams have lost their starting QB to injury or poor play and it is vital to have a formidable back-up for instances like those. Even say a starting QB goes out for 1 game with a concussion, that one game could be the difference between going to the playoffs or sitting on you couch watching the playoffs rubbing your pud. QB's are key and having the depth at the position is crucial for success. I bet the Browns wish they had another QB like Hoyer on the roster, after he went down with an ACL tear.

Exactly, GB hasn't won a game since Aaron Rodgers went down. No QB means no wins.

there were guys on the radio yammering to take Geno Smith, cough<dustin fox>cough cough, cause if he's "the guy" he's "the guy". Well thank god Smith wasn't "the guy". What makes a guy "the guy"? Bottom line is we have no fucking idea.

Yep because for all the emphasis people put on QB arm strength or accuracy, there are no stats that measure the most important aspects of the QB: decision making, grit, leadership, mental flexibility and fortitude. This is another reason I advocate drafting 2 QBs this year. Why put all the eggs in one basket?

Yea, this type of draft has worked out well for the Skins so far. But hey, at least they can still build their team through the draft.....Oh, wait, no they can't.

How is the following years draft for QB's? Seems like every year we are we have to get him or that guy? A lot of the best QB's have not been drafted in the 1st draft. We have two picks in the 1st draft and I would hate to waste a pick on of many 1st round QB's that are just so-so, can't transition to the NFL or flat out BUSTS. I will not scream if we do not draft "our new savior" with our first pick. Plus, who knows what will happen in FA.

I don't want Winston. Despite him being declared "innocent" of what has transpired, anyone that puts themselves into that position, will more than likely continue to do so.

I did not read what position he was in... Did it involve a chair swing?

I'll take Aaron Murray over any of these guys.

You know... a surgically repaired Murray in the 4th round or so is a little interesting...

How is the following years draft for QB's?

It's getting better with every announcement of an underclass QB returning for another year. Safe to say the 2015 draft is now better than the 2014.

So what should the Browns do? ...losing... Then hope ... and hope ... (for Carr).

So basically you're saying there are four franchise QBs in this draft... Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley and Garoppolo... :wub:

So quit worrying.. we can't lose.

Archived