THE BROWNS BOARD

What if the FO doesn't see a franchise qb in this draft?

Adoug319

IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love college players that stay for all four years, but to be honest Bridgewater would be a dunce if he stayed for his senior year. Many teams probably have him pegged as the top quarterback in this draft, and next year he'd be - at best - the third-ranked QB behind Winston and Mariota.

I like the Browns drafting a QB in the 1st round and letting him sit, learn, and develop under Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is a huge upgrade over Weeden and Campbell, and the Browns should experience good success with him at the helm. In the 2+ games this year with Hoyer under center the offense actually looked and performed like a legitimate attacking NFL offense - something I haven't seen from the Browns since 2007.

Dream scenario: draft Sammy Watkins with the first 1st round pick, then trade up using the Browns' second 1st round pick and select the QB of their choice (Carr?). RB, OL, LB in 3rd/4th... tasty.

I don't think this years QBs are that impressive. What viable FA QBs are available next year? I think our FO will build the offense to a point where you can plug and play any QB (minus Weeden) and they will do well this off season. Draft A QB in 2015

I love college players that stay for all four years, but to be honest Bridgewater would be a dunce if he stayed for his senior year. Many teams probably have him pegged as the top quarterback in this draft, and next year he'd be - at best - the third-ranked QB behind Winston and Mariota.

I like the Browns drafting a QB in the 1st round and letting him sit, learn, and develop under Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is a huge upgrade over Weeden and Campbell, and the Browns should experience good success with him at the helm. In the 2+ games this year with Hoyer under center the offense actually looked and performed like a legitimate attacking NFL offense - something I haven't seen from the Browns since 2007.

Dream scenario: draft Sammy Watkins with the first 1st round pick, then trade up using the Browns' second 1st round pick and select the QB of their choice (Carr?). RB, OL, LB in 3rd/4th... tasty.

how many QB's are staying for their 4 years this year? There have been a few. Next years QB class is better? I will not cry if we don't draft a QB with our (2) number ones.

We need a top ILB with that pick from the Colts more than a WR2 who catches 3 balls a game at best.

We need Carr/Hundley with that pick at the top of the first. It will be high because we won't win another game.

Hoyer can start the first few games until our QB is ready to go.. throwing the new guy to the wolves isn't working out well for the Jets.

I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

I wouldn't take either. Jay Cutler is overrated, he's on his second team and hasn't done squat. Even Grossman got them to the Superbowl. Schaub is a turnover machine and was benched for an undrafted rookie, nuff said.

Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

WSS

well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

WSS

If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

WSS

Matt Schaub...... lol I remember that. Texans have just fell apart this year. They entered this year looking like playoff contenders.

I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

We have Mallet already in Weeden.

In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.

We have Mallet already in Weeden.

In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.

Not really sure where you figured this out about Mallett. Plus Mallett is 6 or 7 years younger than Weeden and still has room to grow. I'd take a chance on him before drafting Bortles or Garappolo. If we can get Carr, do it, but Mallett may be the best bet after him.

IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

Agree on no franchise QB in 2014 draft. To me that means none is worth a first round pick. But IMO you have to draft a QB nearly every year, so...

There are a few with potential in 2nd round and on. As a third rounder I thought McCarron was a no brainer, but now he's looking more like a solid 2nd. Fales should be around in the 4th. There are a couple interesting 7th round picks, i.e., Guiton and TCU's Paschall.

Want a longer shot FA? Invite Tyler Russell to camp. He was Miss. St's pre-season projected starter, but missed most of the year due to injury. He came back late in a loss to Bama and season ending win over Arkansas. Going into the year he was projected as high as the 2nd round.

Our 2014 QB depth chart: Hoyer / Campbell / Rookie TBD

I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

A has been and a never was...

Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

Bilgewater... lol... not sure why this did not occur to me before.

Looking at Mallet would be fine and if he really knocks you out you swing a deal but I doubt it. Schaub would be just ok as a back up at most. I am not sold on Cutler at all, his abilities and drive seem to fluctuate drastically.

Overall I agree with the OP, I do not see a franchise QB in this draft. In that case we should not reach. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd with upside and let him compete with and / or learn from Hoyer. Frankly wiwth our track record I would take a QB in the 2nd and another somewhere between 4th and 7th.

With Hoyer at the helm and the rest of the draft picks shoring up the right side of the OL, a good number 2 receiver and a decent power back to complement Dion Lewis we are money.

The way this board thinks about Bridgewater makes me think no one has watched him. I literally do not understand it.

I understand being critical of the fact that he hasn't played high level competition or the fact he only weighs 200 lbs, but it's all there when you're talking about his ability to throw every pass he needs to and read a defense/make audibles. He is by far the best QB prospect in the draft.

Did this all change because Louisville lost, because if so that's stupid as hell.

Looking at Mallet would be fine and if he really knocks you out you swing a deal but I doubt it. Schaub would be just ok as a back up at most. I am not sold on Cutler at all, his abilities and drive seem to fluctuate drastically.

Overall I agree with the OP, I do not see a franchise QB in this draft. In that case we should not reach. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd with upside and let him compete with and / or learn from Hoyer. Frankly wiwth our track record I would take a QB in the 2nd and another somewhere between 4th and 7th.

With Hoyer at the helm and the rest of the draft picks shoring up the right side of the OL, a good number 2 receiver and a decent power back to complement Dion Lewis we are money.

Thinking we can fix all our problems in the draft is wrong, we need to add FA's. We can't be the youngest team in the league forever.

Archived