THE BROWNS BOARD

Jadeveon Clowney ticketed going 110 mph

utzie

Or Clowney may be another College DE that cannot stand up and play OLB in a 3-4. I think he'll be a stud at DE in a 3-4, but can't see him as a 3-down, 3-4 OLB. I feel we really should have at least one, 3-down OLB on our team.

I'd rather have UCLA's Barr and it has nothing to do with a speeding ticket.

My personal best behind the wheel was 117 MPH on an Interstate in Wyoming on the way to Jackson Hole circa 1971, but was shotgun in a '68 Vette "rolling" up I-71 at 130-something.

LOL...

That's my worry.

I'm in Gamecock country. I'm, I guess, a Gamecock fan by default if I had to pick one. I've watched every Clowney snap since his senior year of high school. I've met him. I've watched him practice. And there no denying he is , without a doubt, the single most athletically gifted person to enter the draft in the last 15 years. He's physically superior to Peppers as a prospect in every fashion.

But, I'm worried that he may not make the transition to the NFL as well. He's had a bad season being double, and sometimes triple, teamed.

It will happen in the NFL, too. Add in the other nuances of the game, and I'm just worried he may go the way of Vernon Gholston.

That's my worry.

I'm in Gamecock country. I'm, I guess, a Gamecock fan by default if I had to pick one. I've watched every Clowney snap since his senior year of high school. I've met him. I've watched him practice. And there no denying he is , without a doubt, the single most athletically gifted person to enter the draft in the last 15 years. He's physically superior to Peppers as a prospect in every fashion.

But, I'm worried that he may not make the transition to the NFL as well. He's had a bad season being double, and sometimes triple, teamed.

It will happen in the NFL, too. Add in the other nuances of the game, and I'm just worried he may go the way of Vernon Gholston.

if he is double and triple teamed in the NFL or hell even right now, he's doing more for your D than if he gets 15 sacks.

if he is double and triple teamed in the NFL or hell even right now, he's doing more for your D than if he gets 15 sacks.

Not so much for South Carolina, as the rest of their defensive line could get blocked by a sawhorse and some caution tape.

In the NFL, he may get to the level where he'll command double teams regularly, and that would free up another rusher, but that is an if. He'll no doubt be sporadically double teamed but taking a guy in the top ten just to be a blocking dummy isn't a high value pick. Especially when you have four capable OLB's on your roster.

I understand the value of commanding that much attention, but it's just not the right direction for the Browns at the moment.

Not so much for South Carolina, as the rest of their defensive line could get blocked by a sawhorse and some caution tape.

In the NFL, he may get to the level where he'll command double teams regularly, and that would free up another rusher, but that is an if. He'll no doubt be sporadically double teamed but taking a guy in the top ten just to be a blocking dummy isn't a high value pick. Especially when you have four capable OLB's on your roster.

I understand the value of commanding that much attention, but it's just not the right direction for the Browns at the moment.

If he's there, you take him simply because he's the BPA and its not even close. He could play both DE and OLB given the situation. He would be a HUGE upgrade over Kruger immediately. And him being on the field is making it tons easier on the guys playing opposite him, not his fault they aren't capitalizing. Good thing about Krugers contract os we can dump him after year 2 or so for almost nothing.

Here's my take. I'd love to have him. Its always cool to have the potential best player at his position in the league. Also probably any of the quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds are going to shake out equally, at least no one is less of a crapshoot then the rest. That being said I don't think we are desperate to replace Paul Kruger. He's a serviceable player as it is.

So back to the age old question, draft for best player available or draft for need.

WSS

Here's my take. I'd love to have him. Its always cool to have the potential best player at his position in the league. Also probably any of the quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds are going to shake out equally, at least no one is less of a crapshoot then the rest. That being said I don't think we are desperate to replace Paul Kruger. He's a serviceable player as it is.

So back to the age old question, draft for best player available or draft for need.

WSS

I definitely wasn't dogging Kruger but he's definitely not worth his contract. But Clowney is a once in a generation talent that shouldn't be passed up if given the opportunity to draft him. Hed come at half the price of Kruger and be here a minimum of 5 years. As for the age old question....Its a combination of the two. If the guy is the BPA by a wide margin u take him regardless of position and if its close u take the guy who's a need.

I think he'll be a stud at DE in a 3-4...

Should have read "I think he'll be a stud in a 4-3."

Yes. I think we should always take that one in a million blue chip player if one is available regardless of need.

The one (and only) need you have to impose on your draft is that the players fit your scheme. If you think Clowney can adapt to the 3-4, fine.... but you'd better be sure.

Should have read "I think he'll be a stud in a 4-3."

The one (and only) need you have to impose on your draft is that the players fit your scheme. If you think Clowney can adapt to the 3-4, fine.... but you'd better be sure.

That makes a great deal of sense, I hadn't really thought of it. No point in buying the best wood saw in the world if you want to cut sheet metal.

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived