THE BROWNS BOARD

Brent "Sobo" Sobleski's Mock

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Link

A few notable picks:

• Curry goes to Seattle at 4

• the Browns take Everette Brown at 5 (Orakpo's already off the board)

• Mark Sanchez goes to San Francisco at 10

• Maualuga goes to Miami at 25

I truly don't believe Curry goes at 4, as LB isn't an area of need for them, but stranger things have happened.

In order for things to fall like we want them to, DET and (especially) KC need to take a QB.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Seattle go LB. FA linebacker Leroy Hill just got busted for marijuana possession, which will drop his value on the FA market & may give Seattle a better chance at re-signing him.

And Seattle's already got a ton of money invested in their linebackers. Julian Peterson's got 4 years left on his 7 year, $54M deal, and Lofa Tatupu signed a 6 year, $42M contract extension that runs through 2015. Not sure they'd be willing to spend top 5 money on another linebacker.

But Sobo's mock does put them in a tough spot: Crabtree's already off the board, and Malcolm Jenkins may be a reach at 4. Then again, they'd have their choice of OT's, which may be a good move given that Walter Jones wasn't dominant last year and just had microfracture surgery.

Sobo is one smart dude. And he loves the shit out of Everette Brown.

Then how could he put Orakpo in front of Brown or Maybin. IMO KC takes OT, if not St Louis does. Crabtree goes to Seattle. We have our pick Brown or Curry. Might depend on what we do in FA.

just because you don't agree with the mock, does not make it laughable.

There are a few credible mocks out there, where the writers actually research the teams and their needs from a scouting standpoint. They also often have "inside sources" that explain what the team is looking for from each round. Additionally, some of these writers also follow who the teams are talking to at the various "senior" bowls and the combine. They add two and two together to figure out a range of two or three players the teams might be targeting.

Guest Aloysius
Then how could he put Orakpo in front of Brown or Maybin. IMO KC takes OT, if not St Louis does. Crabtree goes to Seattle. We have our pick Brown or Curry. Might depend on what we do in FA.

Sobo has Orakpo rated ahead of Brown. You'll be happy to hear that he thinks Brown is exclusively a 3-4 OLB, which hurts his value a little bit.

KC already has a franchise LT in Branden Albert, so I don't think they go OT that high. Sure, they could slide Albert inside to his college LG spot, but they'd be better off drafting a RT to replace McIntosh in Round 2 or 3.

St. Louis seems very likely to go OT at 2, but there were reports earlier this week that some people in their FO are pushing Crabtree. That's a definite possibility (especially if they cut or trade Torry Holt).

So it's entirely possible that an OT isn't taken in the top 5 picks. I'm hoping one is, as that increases our chances of getting AC.

Guest Aloysius

To add to that, here are Sobo's overall rankings for some of the prospects we've discussed:

• Aaron Curry - #4

• Brian Orakpo - #5

• Everette Brown - #7

• B.J. Raji - #14

• Rey Maualuga - #20

• Brian Cushing - #22

just because you don't agree with the mock, does not make it laughable.

There are a few credible mocks out there, where the writers actually research the teams and their needs from a scouting standpoint. They also often have "inside sources" that explain what the team is looking for from each round. Additionally, some of these writers also follow who the teams are talking to at the various "senior" bowls and the combine. They add two and two together to figure out a range of two or three players the teams might be targeting.

What's laughable is that we haven't even had the combine or pro day workouts. Also team needs change drastically because of free agency. I'm not dissing SOBO for his analysis of the players it is just that team needs are going to change. KC doesn't even have a coach and are a trillion dollars under the cap. Who knows what the face of this franchise will be in 3 months.

the last thing the rams will draft in the first round is a receiver. they need a lineman or a defender to compliment long which they got last year. the last time they drafted a lineman in the first round was orlando pace, a future hall of famer, and he lead them to a superbowl. look for them to take smith out of bama.

the last thing the rams will draft in the first round is a receiver. they need a lineman or a defender to compliment long which they got last year. the last time they drafted a lineman in the first round was orlando pace, a future hall of famer, and he lead them to a superbowl. look for them to take smith out of bama.

Most NFL draft gurus agree with you. That would be my guess also.

Sobo has Orakpo rated ahead of Brown. You'll be happy to hear that he thinks Brown is exclusively a 3-4 OLB, which hurts his value a little bit.

In a 2008 preseaon publication by Lindy's Pro Football, Brown is ONLY listed at 248 pounds so he's not going to be a dlineman. I can't help but thinking that idea is like trying to put your foot on the gas and the brakes at the same time. We already have this idea from FSU and here's what we found:

Wimbley got away with with 1 move in the ACC and much of his rookie year. We didn't get upside. Therefore, I'm going to have to be UNFAIR to this kid and this idea. I'm also hoping more open-minded coaching can do MORE with this kid. Don't recycle before you have to.

Try to remember Jamir Miller for a second. This is the TYPE of guy I see in Curry thanks to Aloy's impressive Aaron Curry Promotion Inc. I want a well rounded lad that the RIGHT NFL mind can mold. If Mangini can turn a veteran WR in NE into a valuable corner by playoff time of a SB Championship run - he turn Curry into ANY LBer role we need for 2 reasons:

1) Curry shows up as a freak on film. EVERYTHING he does from shedding blocks to instinctive recognition to text book tackling alley-ooops COACH-FRIENDLY and intriguing.

2) Mangini doesn't have the OLD stubborn mind of a RAC. He LIKED that BB creativity. It's how you make former DEs like Teddi Bruschi and Mike Vrabel into ideal LBers.

You can find out the value of an Offensive Tackle if you understood how Utah completely exploited the absence of Andre Smith. They attacked his backup all game long and the SAD truth of this for Alabama is they had an injury at another spot on the line so they not only had to replace their BEST football player (as the NFL draft will allude to) but they also had to shift guys into brand new responsibilities. Not to take away from Utah's accomplishment BUT if Smith played Utah doesn't have a favorable matchup that Bama couldn't counter. I haven't seen an Offensive Tackle since as impressive as Smith since Orlando Pace played college ball. And before that was since I saw Munoz caving in defensive fronts. I would have said Joe Thomas BUT he blew out a knee in his soph season so wasn't as committed to the idea of him until we landed him.

Because we drafted Joe Thomas first I don't see us choosing an OT first this year; but I'm not one of our better draft minds in here so that doesn't mean too much. At some point, we gotta draft an X-factor for this front 7 or find another prong of attack weapon for the offense. This will work well with the best player available thing IMO. There's goodies on the table for us and I like alot of them to be honest. I'm pumped!

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius
In a 2008 preseaon publication by Lindy's Pro Football, Brown is ONLY listed at 248 pounds so he's not going to be a dlineman.

Brown is listed at 252, but the eyeball test says he may be bigger than that.

Gaines Adams was drafted to play DE at 258 lbs., so I don't think you can discount the possibility that a Tampa 2 team will look at Brown for their RE spot.

Brown is listed at 252, but the eyeball test says he may be bigger than that.

Gaines Adams was drafted to play DE at 258 lbs., so I don't think you can discount the possibility that a Tampa 2 team will look at Brown for their RE spot.

And did you happen to see how the Carolina Panthers exploited Gaines Adams in the running game? He was a disaster against the run the FINAL month of the season. He was like that KGB guy GB used to have as a liability against the run. GREAT against the pass with his olay moves but your better teams or best prepared teams are going to exploit that frequently. Over the last 4-5 weeks TB couldn't stop anyone and I INCLUDE the Oakland Raiders in that grouping. Why would they go after another Gaines Adams clone? That's alot of first round cake and commitment tied up on the same idea.

Here's what was done by Carolina to TB and alot of it broke contain; because neither DE was keeping outside leverage:

"Williams rushed for a career-high 186 yards and two touchdowns, Stewart added 115 yards and two more scores and the Panthers set a team record for yards rushing." - Charlotte Press

Why would you even TRY to throw the ball when you can impose your will like that? Without seeing 1 highlight of Brown does he play olay or run through people? Did he post GOOD numbers for his career at FSU or did he just have 1 double digit season of sacks like Wimbley? I don't think there's a Dwight Freeney in every draft but I think every draft wants one. he can play 1 gap or 2 gap, which is rare/unique for undersized guys. It's why he makes Pro Bowls and remains well respected by peers.

- Tom F.

Archived