THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker

LBC mike

It was nice seeing this kid play today. Nice speed. Hope we keep him next year. With him along with Lewis, Fozzy, OBi could be interesting how we do next year with these guys. I would not mind having a run by committee.

It was nice seeing this kid play today. Nice speed. Hope we keep him next year. With him along with Lewis, Fozzy, OBi could be interesting how we do next year with these guys. I would not mind having a run by committee.

WIth those 4 guys, they will need a committee. 3 of them are small and 1 or more of them will get hurt

I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.

Zombo

sounds about right for the Browns

Baker is very physical, despite being on the smaller side. I like his potential

Love the way he was finishing runs.

Nothing wrong with a RB by Committee approach.

I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.

Zombo

Certainly this game and the next two are merely exhibition games. All we are doing at this point is trying to find out who should be kept next season.

The Jets ain't making the playoffs, neither are the Steelers.

None of those games mean anything in regard to the playoffs....we are just playing out the string....and seeing who mans up.

I saw enough of Baker to make me believe he should be on our opening camp roster regardless of you we draft/sign in the off season. Hopefully he gets 40 carries the next two weeks to see what he really has.........

BEREA, Ohio – The enticing aromas of Buena Vista fried chicken filled the Browns’ locker room on Monday.

Some players sampled the Greek-style bird and macaroni and cheese supplied by the Warren restaurant, but running back Edwin Baker resisted temptation.

Eating healthy, he said, is among the traits he’s acquired from veterans during his stops in San Diego, Denver and Houston the past two years.

“Older guys say I act like an older vet 'cause of the things I do,” Baker said. “I just follow what the vets do, guys that have been in the league for a very long time.”

On Sunday, Baker finally got to follow something other than advice, like lead blocks. The Michigan State product made his NFL regular-season debut, rushing for 38 yards on eight carries, including a 2-yard touchdown in a 38-31 loss to the Chicago Bears. He also added four catches for 46 yards as Baker helped replace Willis McGahee (concussion).

It was a limited sample size against the league’s worst run defense, but coach Rob Chudzinski sounded as if Baker would get another chance against the New York Jets regardless of McGahee’s status.

“He earned a lot of respect and he earned my respect and he made good on his opportunity,” the coach said.

Play It Again with Edwin BakerRunning back Edwin Baker scores his first NFL touchdown.

Plucked from the Texans practice squad, the 5-foot-8, 210-pound back looked quick and decisive. Baker still runs on the advice imparted by his father years ago: Find the crease, show no hesitation and no dancing in the hole.

Browns fans, enduring their seventh straight season of double-digit losses, are accustomed to watching the Edwin Bakers of the world every December as they count down the weeks until the NFL Draft.

For one snowy afternoon, anyway, the game didn’t look too rich for him.

"I'm a guy that, I like the spotlight,” Baker said. “I like to put things on my shoulders because I was always the one to uplift the team. I just want to play my part, play my role and help this team get the win.

“In the back of your head, you wonder, 'Man, can I really do this?' But by having a game like that and really showcasing my talent and proving to myself that I belong, it's just uplifting.”

The Browns’ running attack has been a disappointment. Baker's 2-yard TD marked the club's third rushing touchdown of the season. Meanwhile, the Bears reminded everyone about the importance of running late in the year in blustery conditions. Matt Forte amassed 127 yards as the Browns yielded a season-high 179 yards on 31 attempts.

Cleveland ran just 17 times, despite a productive 5.5-yard average. When asked about the disparity– quarterback Jason Campbell threw 39 times -- Chudzinski pointed to the “limited amount” of first-half plays (23) and the lack of offensive rhythm.

Baker had four carries, including a 15-yard run, before intermission.

“He was able to make some good runs, he looked explosive out there and had some juice,” Chudzinski said.

Baker believes a reunion with offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who coached the Chargers when they selected him in the seventh round a year ago, will prove beneficial. He’s familiar with the terminology and concepts.

The last two games likely will determine whether Baker returns to Berea in the spring. He gets a crack at the league’s third-ranked run defense Sunday in New York, although Browns fans know how deceptive those defensive stats can be.

Baker is just grateful for his chance.

“That's what I was doing, praying and knowing I belonged,” he said. “I know how good I am and I know what kind of talent I have. I was just waiting for my moment."

Baker will enjoy his off day Tuesday. Presumably, with no fried chicken.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/running_back_edwin_baker_earns.html

I've been resisting overreaction, but Baker did indeed look VERY decisive in his runs. I saw holes you don't see for Richardson or Moses McGahee. I think we have some interesting competition to go with Dion Lewis and a high-ish draft pick (Hyde, for instance). Wouldn't surprise me if Baker earns his way into the mix.

I haven't seen much from Fozzy to get too excited about.

Edwards - could run a WildDawg, perhaps, but then Gray has shown himself capable of doing that as well.

McGahee - brought in for a season as a stop gap. We all said, if he runs for 1k then sure, keep him. He hasn't. Buh-bye.

Ogbonnaya - if he can hang on to the football he's currently our best back. He's actually listed as FB on the roster - he'll be staying.

Lewis - I think most people are excited to see if what he showed in pre-season can translate to the regular season. It might, it might not.

If there are no new recruits, I reckon next year our stable will look something like:

FB - Ogbonnaya

RB - Lewis

RB/TE - Gray

RB - Baker

That's a bit underwhelming. I can't see us not adding a FA or draft pick. Maybe then it'll be:

FB - Ogbonnaya

RB1 - Tate/Hyde

RB2 - Lewis

RB3 - Baker

He comes from the Texans (losers of 10 straight games) practice squad. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Browns prolly picked him up for next to nothing. He lasted one year

with the Bolts where he had a grand total of zero carries and was signed by the Broncos as practice squad fodder. Looks to me like a preseason eval conducted in week sixteen of

the fucking regular season, as Zombo pointed out. His signing exemplifies a non existent Browns running game that has put up a dismal 1200 total rushing yards and scored a

head shaking 3 td's in 14 games. Jamaal Charles equaled the Browns rushing td total in one half of one game. I ain't holding my breath for this seventh round pick who has been with

four teams in less that 2 seasons to be a factor in a much needed running game resurgence. jfs

To be fair, it's probably hard for a RB to crack the texans roster, with Foster and Tate on there. But no, not holding my breath, but he wasn't awful. That's an upgrade as far as our run game is concerned. That being said, this weekend the Jets have a very different defence to the bears, so we'll see if he can do anything against a something resembling an NFL defence.

None of them are very interesting, Chud and Norv are going to have to go back to the drawing board on this whole running game thing and there are things they might want to discuss with the personnel department too, subjects up for discussion could include: why they have a line that can't run block, why they don't have a fullback, why they have no talent at running back and how all those pass attempts got three QBs injured and just four wins.

Zombo

Interesting little tidbit on Edwin's healthy eating habits...

Baker had a decent college career at Mich St.

CAREER NOTES: Three-year letterwinner finished his Spartan career with 2,293 rushing yards on 462 carries (5.0 avg.; 65.5 ypg.) . . . played in 35 games, including 21 starts . . . rushed for 19 career touchdowns . . . had six career 100-yard rushing games

At the 2012 combine he ran a 4.44 and did 20 benchpress reps. Shuttle and 3-cone were so-so. Weight at the time was 204.

He comes from the Texans (losers of 10 straight games) practice squad. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Browns prolly picked him up for next to nothing. He lasted one year with the Bolts where he had a grand total of zero carries and was signed by the Broncos as practice squad fodder.

... and we cut Rainey... Sometimes players find a fit down the road a ways.

None of them are very interesting, Chud and Norv are going to have to go back to the drawing board on this whole running game thing and there are things they might want to discuss with the personnel department too, subjects up for discussion could include: why they have a line that can't run block, why they don't have a fullback, why they have no talent at running back and how all those pass attempts got three QBs injured and just four wins.

That's a lot of questions... I'd settle for a line that can run block.

Zombo

How about getting a QB that can run an offense from under center, being in shotgun 99% of the time is what's killing our run game.

Running backs come from all over, almost polar opposite of QBs. Bobby Rainey has like 470 yards for the Bucs. Hell, Jamaal Charles was a low pick or undrafted, right? The Lions have a guy platooning with Bush I've never heard of, but he looks fantastic. And the Chiefs have a guy spelling Charles who looks terrific (#34). James Starks. Etc.

Not really groundbreaking if Edwin Baker becomes really good. There are more guys who can run with a football than there are positions available in the league. There's nothing I saw from Baker that tells me he couldn't become an important cog in an NFL team's running attack. He's built low, he cuts decisively, and he can catch.

Bam. Nothing wrong with all of that. For me, right now from "the tryouts" this year, knowing we can't do much without consistent high level QB play anyway? I'd say Dion Lewis, Edwin Baker, and Obie can be joined by Carlos Hyde and there ain't nothing wrong with that group.

Running backs come from all over, almost polar opposite of QBs. Bobby Rainey has like 470 yards for the Bucs. Hell, Jamaal Charles was a low pick or undrafted, right? The Lions have a guy platooning with Bush I've never heard of, but he looks fantastic. And the Chiefs have a guy spelling Charles who looks terrific (#34). James Starks. Etc.

Not really groundbreaking if Edwin Baker becomes really good. There are more guys who can run with a football than there are positions available in the league. There's nothing I saw from Baker that tells me he couldn't become an important cog in an NFL team's running attack. He's built low, he cuts decisively, and he can catch.

Bam. Nothing wrong with all of that. For me, right now from "the tryouts" this year, knowing we can't do much without consistent high level QB play anyway? I'd say Dion Lewis, Edwin Baker, and Obie can be joined by Carlos Hyde and there ain't nothing wrong with that group.

Charles was a third round pick. Not necessarily low, but not a big name either.

I firmly believe that there is fantastic RB talent available in the 3-4th round. The biggest factor is scheme fit. McCoy wouldn't be nearly as productive on a power run team, just as Gerhart wouldn't be as productive in the spread.

They should trade up and draft another Bama RB No. 3 overall.

Funny how all of T Richs lovers and people who claimed RB was worth drafting that high either disappear when it gets brought up or changed their tune.

Of course they would change their tune....unless they were freeking idiots.

A guy that said then "TR is worth the #3 pick in the draft".....would certainly have a different opinion now.

I, for one, certainly thought that TR was worth a high draft pick......every single professional draft guru agreed with that contention.

I don't think you could go back to any draft evaluation service and find one that did not say that TR was a Top Ten pick material.

So if all the Mel Kipers/Todd McShays/Ourlads/CBS/Scouts Inc./Walter Football etc. etc. etc. guys were all wrong....why shouldn't we ordinary schlubs be wrong as well?

They should trade up and draft another Bama RB No. 3 overall.

Funny how all of T Richs lovers and people who claimed RB was worth drafting that high either disappear when it gets brought up or changed their tune.

Funny how if there are any that still think TR was worth a high pick you'd be calling them boneheaded or something. Mistakes are made.

In the spirit of this committee'ed up backfield, what's HIllis up to? Still on the Giants IR? Bring him in. We'll have 10 RB's on the roster next year.

Seriously though, Obi as our FB? that's a joke, it had better be remedied by next year. FB is actually a position we need to take a good hard look at. We need a dedicated every down FB that will target LB'ers and put his helmet on em on every fucking down....we had a guy like that, was responsible for the best running game we've had since the Byner/Mack days.

That's the whole problem with posting on a forum and "debating", people are forming opinions from others' work and then defending them like they're their own. Which adds emotion to it.

I watched T Rich's tape, argued with Dane Brugler for weeks, and told him he wasnt worth a high pick. I was called plenty of names on forums and at the bottom of my articles.

Just think it's funny those same people flopped to the other side: devaluing the RB position in general.

I guess my point is to do your own research if you're going to call people names and insult their intelligence and/or manhood.

Another good point is don't assume that you're the only one who does research. There's plenty of people who do their due diligence on here, just as there are plenty who don't. It's easy to weed out the blowhards and the ill-informed and equally as easy to take those opinions with a grain of salt.

With that said, we're all fans, regardless of our backgrounds. We all have opinions and, in the grand scheme of things, none of our opinions are more important than the rest. I can be very condescending and standoffish, but I also check this site multiple times throughout the day because I enjoy conversing about the Browns and respect the dialogue that takes place here.

That's the whole problem with posting on a forum and "debating", people are forming opinions from others' work and then defending them like they're their own. Which adds emotion to it.

I watched T Rich's tape, argued with Dane Brugler for weeks, and told him he wasnt worth a high pick. I was called plenty of names on forums and at the bottom of my articles.

Just think it's funny those same people flopped to the other side: devaluing the RB position in general.

I guess my point is to do your own research if you're going to call people names and insult their intelligence and/or manhood.

But you are making your point bass ackwards. You are claiming that some of those people that you argued with about TRs value would still be claiming that he was still worth the #3 spot in the draft. I am saying they would NOT continue to hold that position. How could/would they.

And I am sure you have held high opinions about certain players that have turned out to be busts as well.....so those other people could likewise go nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah to your choices.....the way you seem to doing to theirs.

What goes around comes around.

Archived