THE BROWNS BOARD

Remarks about gays prompt suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star

MLD Woody

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it. He thinks it's a sin, sure, but that's just his opinion, to which he's entitled. Yeah, it's an annoying rhetoric, but then so is a lot of stuff. It's basically A+E thinking that they might possibly offend someone - I'm not sure Duck Dynasty will be top viewing in many gay households - and so suspending a guy from their show. Heaven forbid someone get offended. What about the vegetarians that are offended by duck hunting in the first place? Less of a hot button topic, I guess.

More lib intimidation of anybody who doesn't toe the line on their

crap.

Let people have the opinions they have. That isn't discrimination, to

have his opinion. He already has also said he loves everybody, and referred

to the behavior, not the person.

It's a dumbass kneejerk move. Trying to ruin anybody who isn't on the

lib opinion side of things. It's a lib culture war to them, and they intend on winning

regardless of their lib culture war crimes.....

say, that's another good one. I'll have to remember that. "lib culture war crimes".

Again. Now, I'm an even bigger fan of Phil's, and the rest. And that's after we saw him in person

in Louisiana this year. A&E has also "bleeped" out non-four letter words, completely innocent words,

to make it sound funny that they cussed. They put a stop to that when the Robertsons complained.

Then, they didn't want them to pray at the end of their meals. And they didn't want them

to ever say "Jesus" or "Bible" or "God" or "Lord" on the show. Talk about *discrimination*...

More lib intimidation of anybody who doesn't toe the line on their

crap.

Let people have the opinions they have. That isn't discrimination, to

have his opinion. He already has also said he loves everybody, and referred

to the behavior, not the person.

It's a dumbass kneejerk move. Trying to ruin anybody who isn't on the

lib opinion side of things. It's a lib culture war to them, and they intend on winning

regardless of their lib culture war crimes.....

say, that's another good one. I'll have to remember that. "lib culture war crimes".

Again. Now, I'm an even bigger fan of Phil's, and the rest. And that's after we saw him in person

in Louisiana this year. A&E has also "bleeped" out non-four letter words, completely innocent words,

to make it sound funny that they cussed. They put a stop to that when the Robertsons complained.

Then, they didn't want them to pray at the end of their meals. And they didn't want them

to ever say "Jesus" or "Bible" or "God" or "Lord" on the show. Talk about *discrimination*...

well, yes and no. Yes, it's ridiculous. Yes, bleeping out normal words is beyond belief. Yes, they should be able to say grace if they want - after all, it's a reality tv show, about real people. Heaven forbid they have opinions.

No, it's not a "lib culture war" - everyone's just too afraid of offending anyone that they kowtow to non-existent pressure. Like Jason Campbell.

A&E is a company, they need to protect their brand. Vegetarians are a small group, and not super vocal about it. No one is saying it is vegetarians are sinners. The amount of people that would disagree with this guys comments is a much larger percentage though. Don't forget, it wasn't just anti-gay stuff, also racist stuff.

He is free to say whatever he wants and think whatever he wants, no one is going to stop him. But he is on a TV show and A&E has to do what is best for them as a company. Honestly, sadly, a lot of the people that watch this show might agree with what he said, so maybe it was an overreaction. Either way though, A&E won't be helped in any way if it is made to look like they endorse those views, or even if they condone them.

On one hand, I want to say that this is an overreaction on A&E's part. I think more people are going to be pissed at them for firing him than would be pissed that he said these things. I mean, he's an old Southern man, I'd expect him to have a few beliefs that we'd consider dated. Now they went and got rid of their cash cow.

On the other hand, this could easily make their advertisers uneasy, and this is probably what prompted the decision.

No, it's not a "lib culture war" - everyone's just too afraid of offending anyone that they kowtow to non-existent pressure. Like Jason Campbell. Chris

Say, that's a slick segway to football. Nice.

However, it really is a "lib culture war". Like a baker who is forced by the court to bake a gay wedding cake.

Or go out of business. Forcing churches and other orgs, to violate their religious beliefs with Obamaocare.

Again and again, it's pushing the lib subculture in the rest of America's face. Intentionally. Legally, financially,

any way they can.

A&E is a company, they need to protect their brand. Vegetarians are a small group, and not super vocal about it. No one is saying it is vegetarians are sinners. The amount of people that would disagree with this guys comments is a much larger percentage though. Don't forget, it wasn't just anti-gay stuff, also racist stuff.

He is free to say whatever he wants and think whatever he wants, no one is going to stop him. But he is on a TV show and A&E has to do what is best for them as a company. Honestly, sadly, a lot of the people that watch this show might agree with what he said, so maybe it was an overreaction. Either way though, A&E won't be helped in any way if it is made to look like they endorse those views, or even if they condone them. Woody

Good, honest, thoughtful post ! You should read his book, Woody, and anybody else...

to get the true context of what he was saying. He grew up very, very dirt poor, and was

very, very poor even after he married Miss Kay and had sons. He said he never saw

racial hostility where he immediately lived. He didn't see it.

Only a dumbass looking for trouble would respond with "hey, Phil is saying slavery,

and beatings and lynchings and racial hatred never happened in America. RACIST"...

That's a stupid take on the racist thing. Read his book. In fact, All three of the Duck Dynasty books

are a lot of fun to read, and they overlap the truth about how lost Phil was in his early years.

His brother Si worried about him a lot. Phil was a screwed up, heavy drinking, terrible trainwreck.

It's all in his book. Serious honest admission of his life.

He is free to say whatever he wants and think whatever he wants, no one is going to stop him. But he is on a TV show and A&E has to do what is best for them as a company. Honestly, sadly, a lot of the people that watch this show might agree with what he said, so maybe it was an overreaction. Either way though, A&E won't be helped in any way if it is made to look like they endorse those views, or even if they condone them. Woody

Good, honest, thoughtful post ! You should read his book, Woody, and anybody else...

to get the true context of what he was saying. He grew up very, very dirt poor, and was

very, very poor even after he married Miss Kay and had sons. He said he never saw

racial hostility where he immediately lived. He didn't see it.

Only a dumbass looking for trouble would respond with "hey, Phil is saying slavery,

and beatings and lynchings and racial hatred never happened in America. RACIST"...

That's a stupid take on the racist thing. Read his book. In fact, All three of the Duck Dynasty books

are a lot of fun to read, and they overlap the truth about how lost Phil was in his early years.

His brother Si worried about him a lot. Phil was a screwed up, heavy drinking, terrible trainwreck.

It's all in his book. Serious honest admission of his life.

futuramafry.jpg

Why in the hell would A&E ever touch this family in the first place?

A&E caters to the LGBT lifestyle. Yet, because of the dollar signs they saw, they kept DD around, knowing full well the Christian stance of that Robertson's.

The other thing that is completely absurd are the attacks on Phil's words from the different organizations.

For example

GLAAD issued the following statement in response to A&E's decision, attributed to GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz: "What’s clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike. By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value."

First, how many gay people watch the show? Probably not that many. He said nothing hateful or really anti-gay. All he said was is the act of homosexuality is sin. Period. That believe is still strong in probably 95% of all orthodox Christianity. Phil said that he prefers a vagina or a man's anus... what's wrong with that? It's his choice right, and one I firmly agree with. How is it being discriminating? What did Phil say that is discriminating. That's it's sin? Well of course it is, as is adultery, heterosexual fornication, and a whole host of other things (according to Christianity). Discriminating would be saying that Gays aren't allowed to hunt or purchase their duck calls, or should be allowed to do this or that. Phil said nothing of the sort.

I wish that most of these liberal organizations would take a basic Christianity course so that they can better portray the religion. Christians don't discriminate. Now there are some out there that are total douche nozzels, and typically, these are the ones that get seen and heard by our awesome media. However, there those that are very true, or at least try to be true to Christ and what he taught. They love everyone and accept everyone. But that doesn't mean that they accept homosexual acts any more than heterosexual sin. Sin is sin, whether your straight or gay. Okay? We all straight on that issue?

And here is some more.

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," said GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans — and Americans — who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

GLAAD has no clue what True Christianity is and Phil is not lying about what he believes and what orthodox Christianity believes.

What doesn't Phil know about Gay people. First they are humans. Second, they prefer sex with the same sex. What more is there? Also, what did he say that means he doesn't support legal recognition? Nothing, he clearly said that he is not attracted men's buttholes and prefers a female vagina. He also said that it's sin. Just because he feels that being gay is "sin" doesn't mean that people can't have human rights, and I think that's the biggest problem here. Spiritual sin, doesn't mean that people can't have certain social rights.

And I'm not sure how Phil's words can be perceived as having disdain for the LGBT people... I don't like mens buttholes, does that mean I have a disdain for them?

The only thing, Vapor, that you can see people remotely justifiably getting up in arms about is saying it's a sin. The other stuff, he's just stating his personal preference. It came across to me like "I really don't that being gay stuff. Show my a pussy over a guy's butt any day." even then, saying it's a sin, that's just his opinion. So what, are we not allowed to have opinions now? No, freedom of speech.

As Voltaire said - "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

He also said it was a gateway to beastiality... there was a lot of great quotes in that interview

I take that the same kind of way though. He doesn't get why you'd be attracted to a guy, any more than you'd be attracted to an animal.

I take that the same kind of way though. He doesn't get why you'd be attracted to a guy, any more than you'd be attracted to an animal.

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

That's the quote

Way back in 1977ish I read an interview with Steve Martin in Playboy (yes, even then I read it for the articles).

At the time of the interview Martin was known for his standup comedy--let's get small, I've got HAPPY FEET, etc.

He had yet to star in 'The Jerk'. Martin attended college in the late 60's and even though that was the time of

the hippies, Martin had rather short hair and dressed conservatively. For the younger folks, let me assure you,

in the late 60's and early 70's, men's hair length was a HUGE issue in many an American household.

Anyway, the interviewer asked Steve Martin about how he was treated; a conservative looking young man in college when

many college students identified as hippies--- long-haired, unwashed, anti-establishment, etc, etc. Steve Martin's answer to

that question 35 years ago still resounds today. He said that he was generally treated with hostility, suspicion, and more

than a little derision. He observed that the hippies preached love and tolerance and acceptance--as long as you agreed

with them. He noted that they weren't all that tolerant and accepting and respectful if you stated an opinion that wasn't in

lockstep with their doctrine.

Fast forward to today. People who preach love, tolerance, inclusion, respect of others viewpoints. Right up to the

point where someone disagrees with them. You're allowed your opinion, as long as we approve.

A&E likes making money. Slack jawed yokel is standing in the way of making more money by comparing gay people to dog fuckers. The yokel can scream that opinion from the roof tops. However, A&E will not let it hit them in the wallet. This is a right-to-work/contract law issue. Has jack shit to do with freedom of speech.

Personally, I feel the guy is an imbecile. Being an imbecile is not illegal. Some of them can even make it to public office with zero experience.

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

That's the quote

I don't believe he was intending to say that homosexual acts lead to beastiality. I believe what he was getting, in the context of his interview is that beastiatliy along with homosexuality is also sin. I do see that using the word "morph" lends to the conclusion, but in the context of the next sentence he separates beastiality from the homosexuals. And who knows, maybe where they are from, beastiality occurs more often than we think.

But let us all be honest. The issue isn't about what is said, but rather, whether he can say it. And that's the point. The media wants to make him a hate monger, and that's not the case. They are twisting and distorting his intent.

Archived