THE BROWNS BOARD

The Value of this Board & the People Behind It....

Flugel

I just wanted to thank Atenears for doing what he's done over the years to have this kind of setup for us. There is NO other board that parallels what this message board has evolved into. There's a FREAKIN Tavern, there's a FREAKIN fantasy football league or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, there's a Tailgate forum, there's a College Football Pick em, a Pro Pickem, Political Moshpit, Cavs Board, Tribe Board, Fantasy Baseball and even Fantasy Basketball, you name it - Skippy's got it covered. There's even an adorable WOOF WOOF Fantasy Football writeup weekly by the masterful artist we call Kathy. If you like stylin - you can choose from the yellow faces smilin. If you want an avatar that expresses who you are - someone like Zombo can slap up a Monopoly Get out of Jail Free card below his screen name to remind us what a Roadtrip weekend can turn into when it's punctuated at the Sunday Tailgate.

Years ago, we started on the AOL Board (CBSSportsline.whatever). It had all these limp wristed rules and some girl with an AOL badge that went Barney Fyfe on steroids with it. I've never seen so many adults getting timeouts in all my life. We had ALOT of really fun characters on there that were absolutely hilarious and even better - they knew their stuff about football and the Browns so we had many good threads to feast on. Many are STILL here today blending with alot of awesome newcomers. I feel like I've known Riff forever - dude is hilarious. I got 7 minute abs laughing hysterically when he busted and Air Supplied Loverboy for fantasizing about DA. It was like a flashback to Atenears finding out Topjock was a Male Cheerleader for Kentucky back in the day.

As you can imagine the AOL thing sunk and it eventually led to Atenears starting this board up. I've always felt the REASON his board beats all others is he NEVER has had to be Barney Fyfe on steroids in Cyberspace. If we get a deutsch bag that just wants to be a nightmare for everyone - I've seen Atenears go Roadhouse Bouncer. In fact, when he hated Tim Couch - he was checking IDs for University of Kentucky or born and raised in Kentucky and if you had either - you got tossed like a salad. To this day, I don't know HOW Bermeck made it through but I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm GLAD he did. I think our volunteer MODERATORS do a very good job of making this place fun and all I can really say to that is thank you for doing what seems like a thankless job. Just like referees and umpires though, when you DON'T notice them going overboard on intervention - they're kicking tail for we the fans.

This board has ALWAYS been a saving grace for me. When we lose or we underachieve - it's a WONDERFUL place to vent. That said, I'd gladly welcome a season of high 5s for a refreshing change (last year had it's moments during 10-6). When it's offseason and time to upgrade the team - it's a wonderful place to dream and brainstorm with everyone wishing the same thing. When I want to PRETEND I know what the Hell I'm talking about OR I want to ruffle an entertaining character's feathers - I enjoy what I see. I'm one that ALWAYS overappreciates wins and/or OVERBELLYACHES when we lose. I ALMOST thought Dumb Ass turned the corner but my alarm clock woke me up 6 days later. The solution? Winning cures EVERYTHING even the next work week. I still can't get the FUN of the 80s out of my head but DADBLASTIT - that's a lifetime ago so I'm getting Impatient. So where else can I go to vent and get better feedback than I do here? There isn't another board that can compete with the quality Atenears has setup for us behind the scenes. Best of all, I enjoy the quality of fan we have here whether we're debating, bellyaching, offseason dreaming or high 5ing.

When you really think about it - the message board was instrumental in bringing so many fans from this board together to meet up at Tailgates and/or Roadtrips. Roach and his cooking counterpart (If this is wrong please correct me Don or Sperk) are largely responsible for the Tailgate success on Sundays.

In conclusion, when you come to this message board just be yourself. If you have a take - RUN IT! Don't worry about popular opinion - if you want that there's a million other boards that only want politically correct, plastic smiles and public nice-nice. icon_twisted.gif

- Tom F.

I'll tell you this. My dedication to the Browns has gotten stronger since I signed up in the first month of the 2006 season. I used to think I was a diehard fan, and I was, but not the way I am now. To follow the Browns literally every day right down to the inner workings of the front office is not something an average fan does. Going to training camp multiple times. Following them EVERY DAY in freaking May and June. This board has turned me into a Browns fan monster, and we're ALL like that. No one lives or dies their team like we all do.

Plus, this place is a one-stop shop for all important news regarding the Browns and the entire NFL. If only we could get Aloysius, WPBDawgfan and Heck to post more often. Those guys know a shitload.

Well said Tom. This is the best Browns Board on the net. It has that "smokey tavern" feel to it that no other Browns board has ever had.

The group here is the best there is.

One problem though. It smells like new carpet in here. Somebody hurry up and spill a beer.

Doug

This board keeps me so informed over here across the pond where I have no access to mainstream information, I thank you all genuinely for this. The fact that you welcome out of towners (and country-ers) to tailgates and all is amazing, thank you.

Howie.

As a former AOler who followed the crew here when Stan popped it up i can honestly say this is the place to get the info and friendship..hell even the cheesy trailerfilled pukesburgh fans come here because we are so bad azz....btw i have a new improved name i added the destin to my funk.

This board is like friggen cheers...come on everyone sing a long...

...i wanna go where everbody knows your name.....

I have been drinking irish whicky all day...in florida...where the browns WON!...i passed on going to the game.

icon_mrgreen.gif Hey all, I also wanted to give my thanks. I used to post in the "official" forums back in the day, and to from time to time still. However the moderators pissed me off one too many times and it was then, at the beginning of this season, that I found these forums. I never registered before now, because most of what I was thinking had already been posted, but I look forward to adding my 2 cents in the future. I am sure there are MANY out there in cyberland who never sign up but enjoy the football talk none the less. So THANKS! And GO BROWNS!

I grew up a football fanatic...and then married into a family that doesn't even watch the Superbowl. So I was reduced to cheering for my Browns without any outlet for my love of the game/team.

I am sooooo glad I found this board. Without it and all of you here, I would still be in football limbo!

Thanks to all of you, especially the ones who run this board and make all of this possible!!!

"...."I speak for everyone when I say I'm GLAD he did."-Tom

The only thing that kept my board membership active---was a background check on my past addresses...LOL

**** White Hall Lane, South Euclid, Ohio ... (phew)

Bermeck (whats better than watching the Browns win ???, watching Pittspuke lose 15 minutes later)

• 2 years later...

Archived