THE BROWNS BOARD

MMGW

Westside Steve

Here's an idea for the USA

instead of paying people for HAVING kids....ie, welfare, food stamps, and other Gov't programs

Let's pay people for NOT having kids. If you are on assistance and you can go an entire year WITHOUT having a kid, then the Gov't will reward you.

If you meet the Gov't standards for assistance and you don't have another child, then you get a one time payment. And then you are not eligible for such a payment next year. And if you have another kid, you don't get to add that kid to the system

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“Gore’s eco-imperialism is uncomfortably close to the original racist goals of Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood, who advocated population control in order to control the number of black and brown people in the world.”

Now, I'm not saying anybody's a saint, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the idea behind planned parenthood.

Anyhoo, as for the idea of population control, yes, it's clearly needed imo. The developed world is holding steady, more or less, in terms of reproduction, but the world as a whole is still reproducing at a fair rate. There's no 'good' way to manage it, particularly in developing countries.

China's one-child system is potentially viable - the idea being, for those who don't know, that you get benefits for your first child only; subsequent children are 'invisible' to the government in terms of benefits - but that has its flaws. For example, families giving birth to a daughter were apparently leaving the daughter to die, in the hopes that they'd bear a son next time. Not likely in developed world where gender equality is more or less there, but in countries where the man is still dominant it could be an issue. Another sticking point is that it requires something resembling a stable government. You may not agree with the communist manifesto, but at least there weren't daily coups in China. In Africa, for example, it would require that a government, or at least this policy, be in place long enough for it to take effect, which is basically a generation or two. Not many governments lasting 30-50 years over there. Finally, there becomes a sense that multiple child families are the exclusive right of the wealthy, which means that the upper class continues to sustain or grow while the middle/working/lower classes shrink.

So how else to stop people from having children? I honestly don't know. Clearly, punishing people for having children isn't a viable option, from a humanitarian standpoint. So that basically leaves the carrot - making sure that there are incentives for only having one child at most (zero children also an option for incentives, but unlikely to be taken up, I somewhat naively suspect, in countries where family honour is held above all else).

Difficult.

There is only a population boom in Africa. Places where you actually need to crap out tons of kids because they are subsistence farmers. They need many kids as farmhands and to hedge their bets against a few of them dying due to disease.

The rest of the world is actually headed towards a different population crisis. China is facing down the problem of having 30 million men without a lady by 2020. They are well below pop replenishment rate. It is going to be wild dealing with issues related to millions of horned up guys with no outlet.

There is only a population boom in Africa. Places where you actually need to crap out tons of kids because they are subsistence farmers. They need many kids as farmhands and to hedge their bets against a few of them dying due to disease.

The rest of the world is actually headed towards a different population crisis. China is facing down the problem of having 30 million men without a lady by 2020. They are well below pop replenishment rate. It is going to be wild dealing with issues related to millions of horned up guys with no outlet.

Well, they should choose to be gay, clearly, problem solved! ;)

I saw a TV show on HBO, can't remember the name. It brought up the woman shortage in China. They actually have contests where the men have to come on a stage type thing and audition themselves. The women bring there mothers to help them choose. Really strange. But that is what happens when man starts setting quotas on how many children you can have, and what sex.

I saw a TV show on HBO, can't remember the name. It brought up the woman shortage in China. They actually have contests where the men have to come on a stage type thing and audition themselves. The women bring there mothers to help them choose. Really strange. But that is what happens when man starts setting quotas on how many children you can have, and what sex.

Saw that as well. Pretty sure it was a Vice segment.

The quota wasn't on gender per se, but yeah, de facto it was.

That ratio of foreign language isn't what I normally go for, btw :P

Archived