THE BROWNS BOARD

What is Your Fave Shows on Premium Cable?

Season 1-3 of game.of.thrones is on demand I believe. Might as well start at one or you'll have no.idea what the Hell is going on.

shits crazy. kill off a whole family and try and focus on other characters.

true detective was a solid contender for major awards and i would say harrelson and mcconaghey's performances were emmy award winning............

the Walking Dead still does the shivers for me.

shit is off the hook.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is season 4 of Walking Dead any good? I followed it through the first 2 seasons which I thought were decent but for me season 3 got worse and worse each episode to the point where I didn't even bother watching the finale. Horrible acting corny characters bad storyline..

True Detectives was pretty bad ass... they're going to make a second season but with different actors, plot etc.. it'll be hard to live up to Harrelson & McConaughey will be interesting to see who they cast.

The first half of season 4 was decent, and the midseason finale was outstanding, but it should have been the ending to season 3. The second half season finale was meh, but the dynamic is changed again for season 5.

that's the problem with shows now, instead of just giving us the whole 12 episodes they'll do 6 and have a 'mid-season' finale. i hate that shit.

season 4 of the dead was a way to show how the 'family' of characters dealt with the over-run at the prison and how they eventually would all come together again at the end. thing is there a still some people missing which can only mean good thing to those who find them in the predicament they are in now.

i wouldn't want to be at the end of mashone's blade when they finally get out of that train car.

"they're fucking with the wrong people."

it will be a shame if mconaughey and harrelson don't come back. i know they're big movie stars and all but they seriously made that show.

wasn't patrick mcgoohan also on the original english spy drama the 'avengers' with that hot brunette in leather? mrs. peele or something like that?

The show is quickly going to run out of source material

Maybe not. Season 3 only covered about half of the third book. Season 4 may cover the second half of the third book.

He has written 5 books. So, season 5 could cover half of book 4, Season 6 half of book 4, season 7 half of book 5, season 8 half of book 5. So they could go 4 more years before they catch up to what he has published.....and supposedly Book 6 will be published in 2015. So they could go a long time.

Plus....per the wiki site, Martin has already filled in Benioff and Weiss on the outline of the conclusion of the G.O.T. epic, including the end game for the major players. He just has not filled in the details. He did this so that they could finish the series if for some reason he wigs out.

shits crazy. kill off a whole family and try and focus on other characters.

Ah...but that is a canard. The whole family is far from killed off. Only a couple are killed off.....here is a clue for you at least as far as Cately is concerned: Remember what Thoros of Myr did for Beric Dondarrion. And the boys thought killed were the Millers sons, not the Stark boys.

true detective was a solid contender for major awards and i would say harrelson and mcconaghey's performances were emmy award winning............

the Walking Dead still does the shivers for me.

shit is off the hook.

Game of Thrones is meh. Too much fantasy BS. True Detective is great. I like VICE which is documentaries about the fucked up world we currently live in. Boardwalk Empire is good also. The Americans on FX is fantastic. Walking Dead isn't even scary. Just a bunch of over made up dufus walking around.

Game of Thrones is meh. Too much fantasy BS.

Uh, yea. That is sort of the idea. (though there is less "fantasy" about it than you think)

True Detective is great.

I like VICE which is documentaries about the fucked up world we currently live in.

So, you don't like to be entertained? You want reality? Walk out your front door.

Boardwalk Empire is good also. The Americans on FX is fantastic. Walking Dead isn't even scary. Just a bunch of over made up dufus walking around.

Game of Thrones is meh. Too much fantasy BS.

Uh, yea. That is sort of the idea. (though there is less "fantasy" about it than you think)

True Detective is great.

I like VICE which is documentaries about the fucked up world we currently live in.

So, you don't like to be entertained? You want reality? Walk out your front door.

Boardwalk Empire is good also. The Americans on FX is fantastic. Walking Dead isn't even scary. Just a bunch of over made up dufus walking around.

Your a critical old bastard aren't you?

Game of Thrones is meh. Too much fantasy BS. True Detective is great. I like VICE which is documentaries about the fucked up world we currently live in. Boardwalk Empire is good also. The Americans on FX is fantastic. Walking Dead isn't even scary. Just a bunch of over made up dufus walking around.

A lot of people misunderstand what Walking Dead is about. It isn't about being scary or the zombie apocalypse, it is about what people do to each other so they can survive in the zombie apocalypse. That's why the plot isn't about wiping out zombies, its about finding a refuge in one season, and then holding on to that refuge in another season, and about holding on to relationships, and about people who become far worse monsters than the zombies, and about people who were worse than zombies before the apocalypse but have become heroes after it. This is where the show shines. The zombies are just backdrop.

And the reason there is so much gore in this show is not to scare or shock, but to desensitize the audience in exactly the same way the characters in the show are desensitized to the zombies. That's why half the time when they kill a zombie, they do it with all the emotion of a gardener pulling weeds from a flower bed.

A lot of people misunderstand what Walking Dead is about. It isn't about being scary or the zombie apocalypse, it is about what people do to each other so they can survive in the zombie apocalypse. That's why the plot isn't about wiping out zombies, its about finding a refuge in one season, and then holding on to that refuge in another season, and about holding on to relationships, and about people who become far worse monsters than the zombies, and about people who were worse than zombies before the apocalypse but have become heroes after it. This is where the show shines. The zombies are just backdrop.

And the reason there is so much gore in this show is not to scare or shock, but to desensitize the audience in exactly the same way the characters in the show are desensitized to the zombies. That's why half the time when they kill a zombie, they do it with all the emotion of a gardener pulling weeds from a flower bed.

Disagree. The show is a horror show, it caters to kids. Of course it is there to shock, why else show zombies ripping peoples flesh? And do you have to make a show about zombies who's lesson is about holding onto relationships? Kind of a strange logic Osiris. Lets show dead people killing people to show how to hold onto relationships. Okay........

Disagree. The show is a horror show, it caters to kids. Of course it is there to shock, why else show zombies ripping peoples flesh? And do you have to make a show about zombies who's lesson is about holding onto relationships? Kind of a strange logic Osiris. Lets show dead people killing people to show how to hold onto relationships. Okay........

It is about both, really. It is there to shock and awe...but also to tell the human story that exists in the midst of the horror.

Art is subjective, so that's what I see from the show. This show falls under the speculative fiction genre, and this genre has tons of stories that explore society an behavior in weird circumstances. Mad Max, Hunger Games, Blade Runner, etc. exploring this with zombies is interesting because it forces the characters to decide how they see the zombies, and different characters see them differently, and their are consequences based on that. I think it's the deepest take on zombies that has seen the screen.

And yes, flesh ripping is shocking, but after four seasons of it some of that shock is lost, and it happens to the characters too. And I didn't say the shows lesson was holding on to relationships, that's ONE of the themes.

But hey, if it isn't your thing, it isn't your thing. If all you see is dead people killing people when you watch it, then you either haven't watched more than one episode or you aren't paying attention.

Thanks pompous ass.

Any fault here is with you. You go to a movie, or see a TV show for purposes of entertainment. Yet you turn and say you don't want to be entertained, you want to be exposed to the nitty gritty reality of real life. I say go out on the streets to get that, if that is what you want. Then you call me pompous. Yet, you are the one with the avatar showing a pointed gun.

I guess if I am pompous then you are disingenuous and craven.

walking dead is basically a soap opera. you tune in to see what the characters are going to run into, away from and to where. this season was alright but it was essential to show how a group that was basically depending on each other, got separated by war and by the end have found each other, albeit in another bad place.

what's interesting to me (since i've never read the comics) is who lives and who dies. walking dead is never afraid of just wiping a major character off the storyboard.

now i've got no walking dead, no true detective (will there be another season?) no fucking football. i guess if i were into spy shit i'd watch the americans but just never got into it, like bates motel or american horror story.

the best shows they ever had are gone: deadwood and the wire........."omar comin!"

Finally caught True Detective season one. The timeline of the plot was a good catch for me. The passage of time (17 years) and how it molded the main characters, especially MM, was well done. MM went a bit overboard with his philosophical rants but he made up for that with his "moves" during the drug house heist and pursuant escape. he is somebody I would want to be with in a foxhole.

Anybody know if a season II is in the works?

Finally caught True Detective season one. The timeline of the plot was a good catch for me. The passage of time (17 years) and how it molded the main characters, especially "Hurt", was well done. Hurt went a bit overboard with his philosophical rants but he made up for that with his "moves" during the drug house heist and pursuant escape.

Anybody know if a season II is in the works?

it's all about mcconaughey and harrelson at this point. 2 seasoned silver screen movie stars producing and acting in an HBO series is/was a pretty big deal (also did you see the correlation between mcconaughey's character in dallas buyer's club and this.....i'm thinking true detective was filmed after seeing as he gained weight in the series after seeing that movie?).

i've got friends saying they won't do it again as there isn't the same strong story line and might pass it off to a couple of other people. either that or it dies likes AMCs 'the killing' which i liked as well.

I got my hands on True Detectives and watched all 8 episodes in two days. This is some of the best writing and acting I've seen on TV. Ever. So, for fun, which of the two characters would you rather hang out with? I'm disturbed to say Rust for me.

I can't recall having two heavyweights on a TV/premium series as badass as MM and WH.

anything after the seasonal plot would be a letdown. they both crushed it

of course Woody Harrelson is on the downside of his career and Matthew McConaughey was on his way to oblivion when he was resurrected in part by Dallas buyers club and mud.

WSS

Osriis, I watched all eight episodes in two days, also. as you said. the writing was aces and the acting first rate. I've always liked Woody over the years although the majority of his flicks haven't been the greatest. MM impressed the hell out of me with his portrayal of Rust. Not since The Sopranos have I enjoyed a tv series as much.

I'd enjoy hanging out with either of them although I'd likely team up with Rust for the long term. I sometimes share his attitudes regarding our existence on planet earth.

I liked the area they shot the series in (south La). I used to run with a dude in the Navy who would take me home with him to La bayou country. it was a different world back then. I understand the whole area has changed, though, after the 'canes of 2005.

I'd like to see more episodes of the series, but as I said earlier, their first year efforts would be hard to duplicate and any resurrection of MM and WH in those roles would be anti-climatic.

FWIW, Woody got busted (1982) in CBUS for public intox and disorderly conduct. his booking photo is out there in cyberworld if any are interested. His father was a hitman. He assassinated a federal judge in Texas in 1980 and spent the rest of his life in the joint.

Osriis, I watched all eight episodes in two days, also. as you said. the writing was aces and the acting first rate. I've always liked Woody over the years although the majority of his flicks haven't been the greatest. MM impressed the hell out of me with his portrayal of Rust. Not since The Sopranos have I enjoyed a tv series as much.

I'd enjoy hanging out with either of them although I'd likely team up with Rust for the long term. I sometimes share his attitudes regarding our existence on planet earth.

I liked the area they shot the series in (south La). I used to run with a dude in the Navy who would take me home with him to La bayou country. it was a different world back then. I understand the whole area has changed, though, after the 'canes of 2005.

I'd like to see more episodes of the series, but as I said earlier, their first year efforts would be hard to duplicate and any resurrection of MM and WH in those roles would be anti-climatic.

FWIW, Woody got busted (1982) in CBUS for public intox and disorderly conduct. his booking photo is out there in cyberworld if any are interested. His father was a hitman. He assassinated a federal judge in Texas in 1980 and spent the rest of his life in the joint.

After digging around the internet, this is what I could find on a season 2 for TD:

- MM and WH will definitely not be back. Each of the seasons is intended to be a standalone story and so we can expect new actors. Brad Pitt has been rumored.

- season two will be about "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system." (This is how the writer described it)

- season 2 may take place in Southern California.

- the lead is a female as he currently writes season 2 but that may change.

Archived