THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Kirk Cousins Follow Kyle Shanahan to the Browns?

DieHardBrownsFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see something as high as of one of our thirds and a conditional 2015 pick for Cousins, but that's it. He flashed magic in 2012 (101.6 rating), but not so much in 2013 (58.4 rating). I think that in part the sharp decline in 2013 was due to the team quitting on Daddy Shanahan late in the season after he "shut down" RG3. This versus 2012 when the 'Skins were in the proverbial hunt.

But I have a feeling that Kubiak may like Cousins quite a bit. Cousins seems like a more polished TJ Yates, who Kub's really liked in Houston.

As for Grossman... no... He's had a career full of teams that thought they could wring good play out of him. Now he's a 3rd stringer. Who needs a veteran, journeyman third stringer? That's a young pup slot... a project kinda guy...

You mean like Hoyer? RG3 busted leg is a function of him not sliding. Manziel isnt a running QB, I am not advocating for Manziel its just a bogus comparison in my opinion. And remember RG3 was playing when he shouldnt have been, thats on the HC.

If he isn't a running QB I would love to know who is? He's also a weasel that gets injured by college guys let alone NFL players.

Shanahan reportedly likes Grossman and Grossman reportedly knows Shanahan's system and will serve as a playing coach. You may have mistaken me, for someone who is pimping Grossman or Kirk Cousins. I'm not. All I was saying is that neither I nor any of the analysts I have read see a blue ship quarterback in this draft. Could be that Lombardi and Banner are a lot smarter than they seem to have been given credit for here and will pull a rabbit out of their collective hats.

But if the rumors are true that Kyle Shanahan was at odds with rg3 then it would stand to reason that there will be problems between him and Johnny Manziel. Maybe Johnny isn't the guy at the front office really wants and it's just a smoke screen.

WSS

Kirk Cousins hasn't done anything... why not just draft a 3rd or 4th round guy instead of trading a pick...

I could see something as high as of one of our thirds and a conditional 2015 pick for Cousins, but that's it. He flashed magic in 2012 (101.6 rating), but not so much in 2013 (58.4 rating). I think that in part the sharp decline in 2013 was due to the team quitting on Daddy Shanahan late in the season after he "shut down" RG3. This versus 2012 when the 'Skins were in the proverbial hunt.

Seriously...? He started 1 game in 2012, and it happened to be against the no pass-rush, no secondary Cleveland Browns who, like always, made him look like an All-pro. Last year, he only had 1 decent game which was against a struggling ATL... a game he threw 2 INTs in, and his team lost...

No thanks. I'd keep the picks and draft a late-round QB if I want another backup that badly...

We have enough draft picks to get Andrew Luck out of Indianapolis? Cuz there aint a franchise quarterback in this batch...

Em Diggy thinks Bridgewater may be every bit the QB that Luck is, no?

Also doesn't it seem like Johnny Manziel and Kyle Shanahan would butt heads??? And as far as that goes the guys on the radio are suggesting Rex Grossman comes to Cleveland.

Not sure why those two would butt heads any more than any other pair of new QB/OC.

Grossman....ah.....NO

Shanahan reportedly likes Grossman and Grossman reportedly knows Shanahan's system and will serve as a playing coach. You may have mistaken me, for someone who is pimping Grossman or Kirk Cousins. I'm not. All I was saying is that neither I nor any of the analysts I have read see a blue ship quarterback in this draft.

"Grossman" and "coach" just don't go together in my brain...

Totally agree on "our" QB draft analysis.

Seriously...? He started 1 game in 2012, and it happened to be against the no pass-rush, no secondary Cleveland Browns who, like always, made him look like an All-pro. Last year, he only had 1 decent game which was against a struggling ATL... a game he threw 2 INTs in, and his team lost...

Yes, seriously... He did look good against us in 2012, but he also stepped into two other games when RG3 got dinged and did well.

The 2013 ATL game was the first of the RG3 shutdown games. While you're correct that he threw 2 INTs, he also completed 64% of his passes for 381 yards and 3 TDs. I saw the game. Cousins fought hard in a game where many of his teammates looked like they were mailing it in.

I think he's worth what I proposed.

yet cousins is 1-0 against weeden. What's ur fucking point?? Because cousins struggled when the Redskins had already phoned it in. If that's ur sample size then fuck Hoyer!!

better question is what is YOUR fucking point. You think that one game actually is indicative of how Cousins can play as opposed to the larger data set of 5 games in 2013?? I think not. That game was in 2012 as well where our defense stunk even worse.

one of my best friends son's best friend was in the same dorm as grossman was and the kid says he toked up more than gordon, little and bess combined.

yeah, let's bring him in.

talk about the cardiac kids...how about the cardiac arrest kids?

better question is what is YOUR fucking point. You think that one game actually is indicative of how Cousins can play as opposed to the larger data set of 5 games in 2013?? I think not. That game was in 2012 as well where our defense stunk even worse.

so a Redskins team that was way worse offensively in 2013 than in2012 is proof. By those standards Washington Should be looking for new qb this year

I understand that I don't see a franchise qb in this draft tho. And gettin kirk would end all 1st round qb talk.....I hope

You need to open your eyes. 4 QBs will go first round, all with "franchise" QB potential. Sorry if none give you a boner, but we HAVE to take one.

I'm going to say I doubt he follows Shanahan here because it looks like Shanahan's interview went very poorly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320589/article/kyle-shanahans-interview-with-browns-didnt-go-as-planned

Well he probably doesn't need the money right yet and there will certainly be more coordinator jobs open up next season. And if he had a conflict with rg3 and his pop about what kind of offense he wanted to run I can't imagine him coming in and sayings sure Mr banner whatever you say. We shall see.

WSS

Shanahan reportedly likes Grossman and Grossman reportedly knows Shanahan's system and will serve as a playing coach. You may have mistaken me, for someone who is pimping Grossman or Kirk Cousins. I'm not. All I was saying is that neither I nor any of the analysts I have read see a blue ship quarterback in this draft. Could be that Lombardi and Banner are a lot smarter than they seem to have been given credit for here and will pull a rabbit out of their collective hats.

But if the rumors are true that Kyle Shanahan was at odds with rg3 then it would stand to reason that there will be problems between him and Johnny Manziel. Maybe Johnny isn't the guy at the front office really wants and it's just a smoke screen.

WSS

Some reports say the Shanahan interview didn't go well and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Browns' love for Manziel has something to do with it.

I've also read Shanahan is a guy who forces players into his system and is not willing to adapt to the players. Basically the opposite philosophy of what Pettine stated.

"Grossman" and "coach" just don't go together in my brain...

I don't know. Most of the best coaches really were quite average players. Of the current crop of NFL HCs only Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher could probably be said to have been "above average" NFL players. I am not sure that Grossman can be called above average...so maybe he could be a good coach.

You need to open your eyes. 4 QBs will go first round, all with "franchise" QB potential. Sorry if none give you a boner, but we HAVE to take one.

If we assess that none of them are truly franchise QB's at pick 4 or less we certainly do not HAVE to take one of them in the first round. Stretching for picks is what kills teams.

I'm going to say I doubt he follows Shanahan here because it looks like Shanahan's interview went very poorly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320589/article/kyle-shanahans-interview-with-browns-didnt-go-as-planned

First, how the hell does this type of info get out so quickly? Our FO seems awfully leaky... It could be the interviewee, but seldom do you run out and proclaim to the world how shitty your interview went.

Second, (as I think a new thread here also says) the linked article announced that the FO had tabbed our new QB coach? Wow... is there anything else we can do to make our OC position less attractive?

Stretching for picks is what kills teams.

Yup... certainly the case in Round one.

correction, not having QBs kills teams.

So will picking a Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart, or Akilli Smith. If you deem the talent there, go for it- if not, pass. Jameis Winston is better than any of the"franchise qbs" in this years draft- probably Mairotta too.

Archived