THE BROWNS BOARD

Tajh Boyd's Falling Stock makes him more of a Steal?

cdl15

biotag.png

WPPPFUSTPYGGMNF.20120724160548.jpgZoom.gif
#10 Tajh Boyd

Position: Quarterback Height: 6'1" Weight: 225 Year: Redshirt Senior Hometown: Hampton, VA High School: Phoebus HS Major: Sociology Experience: 3 Letters

biosliderleft.png
biosliderright.png
javascript: goToReplayPhotos(206857746)
UGKTMXTHHAJIOZE.20120804015221.jpg
javascript: goToReplayPhotos(206857929)
WREZFXQYHBMQAIV.20120804023233.jpg
javascript: goToReplayPhotos(206857917)
XETGPOGYUSCLHBE.20120804014950.jpg
Boyd Photos

Had a strong arm and good leadership qualities ... was 901-1402 passing for 11,904 yards and 107 touchdowns against 39 interceptions in 2,963 snaps over 47 games (40 starts) in his career ... completed 64.3 percent of his passes and had a 155.2 pass efficiency rating ... had 1,165 rushing yards and 26 rushing touchdowns ... had 13,069 total yards and was responsible for an ACC-record 133 touchdowns ... had an ACC-record 107 passing touchdowns ... first in school history in passing touchdowns, first in passing efficiency, first in touchdown responsibility, first in passing yards, first in completions, first in completions per game (19.2), first in passing attempts, first in completion percentage, first in total offense yards, first in total offense plays (1,907), first in 200-yard passing games (35), first in 300-yard passing games (18), first in 200-yard total offense yard games (36), first in 300-yard total offense yard games (22), first in consecutive starts at quarterback (40), first in snaps by a quarterback (2,963), first in top-25 wins by a starting quarterback (8), tied for first in wins by a starting quarterback (32), third in passing yards per attempt (8.49), fifth in interception avoidance (.0278), fifth in snaps, and tied for 10th in rushing touchdowns ... had 12 of the top-14 single-game passing yardage totals in school history ... set the school record for consecutive passing attempts without an interception (187) from 2012 to 2013 ... had a 32-8 career record as a starter ... three-time All-ACC selection (media) ... two-time First-Team All-ACC selection (media), the first Tiger quarterback to do that since Steve Fuller (1977,78).

Once a projected First Rounder and now about a Fifth Rounder by many mocks Tajh could very well be a steal in the later rounds of this years draft class. If for nothing more than an outside shot at the qb position this kid has all the intangibles of a very very good "football player". i.e. RB, or WR. If the Browns were too snatch him up for value I'd like to see what they could do with a 6'1" 225lbs 4.5 40yd guy that is not a juke and jive guy but a tough guy to bring down.

Just a suggestion.........

I'm not a Boyd fan. His stock falling doesn't make him more of a steal it just means he isn't that good.

Too many short and screen passes, plus Watkins made him look good. Apparently had a really bad senior bowl showing too.

In the 4th or 5th maybe, but the dude is a backup/madden guy.

I highly doubt hes ever sniffed a 4.5. Not so sure about the strong arm either. Very erratic with his accuracy, especially down the field. In our position, we cant take a project like he would be, unless hes the second QB we've drafted. I could think of far worse ways we've spent a fifth round pick, but I bet he doesnt make it to day 3.

The guy is 6'1", same height as Manziel that people are screaming is too small? OK, yeah, probably too small for a QB. I hear you about getting a 6'1 guy that's 225 and runs a 4.5 40, but we basically have that in Greg Little already, which hasn't worked out too well!

Not saying draft this guy as the franchise qb. But in the ladder rounds when ur not really tryin to score need positions but rather just a solid football player this could be a great flyer. I coulda said no matter who is the Kent st qb is we gotta get just outta probability.

OK, se we're agreed he's not QB material at least, good. Then what? Does he have sound enough football knowledge that he can instantly transfer to another position? He ran a lot at Clemson, right, maybe he's a decent RB? Except we've already got a guy in Grey who's an ex-QB trying to make it at another position. It wouldn't be the absolute worst idea in the world, but I'd rather see us taking bets on guys who've shown production but might have other red flags, like we did with Billy Winn and then Armonty Bryant.

The problem with Boyd and most things I've read by scouts is how markedly inconsistent he was this year. He looked great against bad defenses (see Ohio state) but terrible against good defenses (see Florida St). His numbers really got inflated as a result of this too. If they wanted to give him a shot in the late round as a project I wouldn't scream and shout, but I don't think he's ever going to be a franchise guy.

Ehh fifth round why not give the guy a shot. There is no way he isn't better than weeden....right?

Heck I'm pretty sure my experiece as a JV QB and a month in the weight room would make me as good as Weeden haha.

OK, se we're agreed he's not QB material at least, good. Then what? Does he have sound enough football knowledge that he can instantly transfer to another position? He ran a lot at Clemson, right, maybe he's a decent RB? Except we've already got a guy in Grey who's an ex-QB trying to make it at another position. It wouldn't be the absolute worst idea in the world, but I'd rather see us taking bets on guys who've shown production but might have other red flags, like we did with Billy Winn and then Armonty Bryant.

What makes Boyd "not QB material"? I'd love to know.

He was a first round pick coming into this year. His stock fell because he came up lame against Florida State and South Carolina, but was still figured to be a 3rd round pick at the latest. Then he goes to the Senior Bowl and overthrows his receivers, a side effect of throwing Watkins and Hopkins high for his entire career.

Boyd in the fifth round or later is not a bad pick. He won't transfer positions. He'll be a backup/third string QB with first round potential. That's it.

Three months ago, people were clamoring for him to be a possible franchise QB, now he's not worth a fifth? Get that out of here.

What makes Boyd "not QB material"? I'd love to know.

He was a first round pick coming into this year. His stock fell because he came up lame against Florida State and South Carolina, but was still figured to be a 3rd round pick at the latest. Then he goes to the Senior Bowl and overthrows his receivers, a side effect of throwing Watkins and Hopkins high for his entire career.

Boyd in the fifth round or later is not a bad pick. He won't transfer positions. He'll be a backup/third string QB with first round potential. That's it.

Three months ago, people were clamoring for him to be a possible franchise QB, now he's not worth a fifth? Get that out of here.

He's probably worth a 5th, but assuming we draft a QB in round 1, and we have Hoyer - why spend the pick when we need depth at other positions more. We can find our 3rd stringer undrafted, through FA, or use one we already have (weeden/campbell).

I am sure Tajh will have at least as good a pro career as Troy Smith did.

Troy Smith is also easily just as good as, if not better than, any quarterback we've had on our roster in that past 5-10 years, so that's not really a good comparison for an argument against his potential.

4-4 as a starter, 8 TD, 5 INT, 1734 yards, and a rating of 78.5. Never had a losing season as a starter. Never had a multi INT game.

That's a quality backup.

In his worst game, he went 16-31 for 148 yards, 0 TD and 1 INT for a rating of 51.

Weeden already has 4 games worse than that.

I don't see the fuss, the chances of a 5th round player making an impact are already slim. These rounds are normally reserved for depth and prayer picks. Boyd will certainly be the most talented player available. That's a move good franchises make.

He wont make it to the fifth round....doubt he makes it to the 4th. Troy was a 3rd? Kinda sucks he never got a real shot.

u can honestly say that about 90% of all Qbs that come thru the nfl. It's amazing to think what happens if Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Nck Foles, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomm, ect ect never get a chance to prove themselves because of draft prospecting, a few bad games in college, or just isn't good in practice. And how many guys predicted to be can't miss guys actually are??

He's not good.

not good looking.

c'mon man. we all place our 'fave' picks on the hollywood status all-in-one tom brady category.

sorry if you're an albino with red freckles..... like the nephew of weeden or sumthin.

i say have blake griffin come in with lebron and lift us up to another level.

lift us up.

you funny.

got your crystal ball working on overtime?

It's not hard to assume. A guy who was rated in the top ten only months prior, still available in the fifth. Hardly a stretch, honestly.

And let's face it, we need all the QB talent we can get. The third string QB is only two plays away from starting, as every Browns fan should realize by now.

Archived