THE BROWNS BOARD

ScienceInTheBible.Net - From Cal

MLD Woody

I enjoy science and scientific documentaries. The only thing I can offer to prove the existence of God is that science cannot explain what was before the Big Bang.

I don't think science will ever be able to explain it.

It is impossible to imagine "nothingness" because you would be imagining something. Pretty freaky.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy science and scientific documentaries. The only thing I can offer to prove the existence of God is that science cannot explain what was before the Big Bang.

I don't think science will ever be able to explain it.

It is impossible to imagine "nothingness" because you would be imagining something. Pretty freaky.

So because we don't yet know something, that's proof of god?

No woody thank god you're still here. I can't imagine how dull conversation would be without your many insightful contributions like 'LOL' and 'cal is stupid, LOL'

Insightful.

No, no. All your comments are intellectual gold. Where would we be if you weren't so bold in fighting the popular beliefs! We can't handle the truth!

I want to sock anyone in the beak who comes up to me after someone passes and says "well it was god's plan".

Why, because you know for certain that it wasn't??

Seriously though, I think the phrase's intent is to comfort the grieving and not some profound, arrogant cosmic existential comment.

Seriously though, I think the phrase's intent is to comfort the grieving and not some profound, arrogant cosmic existential comment.

It's rarely used as an existential comment, but it's just something that shouldn't be said to someone who just suffered a loss if you're aware that the person grieving is an atheist. It'd be like telling a Hindu or a Buddhist that their loved one is with Jesus now.

Because if some all powerful being is using their powers to kill little kids or decent people just trying to get to work then that god can fuck right off.

I know their intent is not to be a douche but you can think of something better than the equivalent of 'well my god wanted to have them dead because it was in his plans".

I hate the whole "It's God's plan" argument, and I'm not an atheist. Supposing you do believe in God, on what basis does someone believe they know what God's plan is? Furthermore, why do we always assume that what happens in our world is caused or not caused by God? What happened to free will, of which, incidentally, is viewed very differently by different religions. Some are quite fatalistic while others are quite accepting of the notion.

I didn't want to make this its own, new thread, but no one posted that the Westboro Baptist Church leader/founder died. Some groups took the high road, and good for them, but the world is better off with Fred Phelps dead. Hopefully this is the first step toward the disbanding of this "church", for everyone's sake.

I didn't want to make this its own, new thread, but no one posted that the Westboro Baptist Church leader/founder died. Some groups took the high road, and good for them, but the world is better off with Fred Phelps dead. Hopefully this is the first step toward the disbanding of this "church", for everyone's sake.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression he had distanced himself from the group over recent years?

Because if some all powerful being is using their powers to kill little kids or decent people just trying to get to work then that god can fuck right off.

I know their intent is not to be a douche but you can think of something better than the equivalent of 'well my god wanted to have them dead because it was in his plans".

Yeah but even then, I don't think it's a matter of God punishing those he's smiting (there's a great Farside cartoon of God sitting at a computer with a "smite" button). The story of Job comes to mind here. Which, as a side note, if Christianity is some man-made plot to control the masses and the Bible is devoid of divine inspiration, etc... why in the ever-living-fuck would the mind-controlling powers that be leave the story of Job in the Bible? Because on the surface, it's a game of power between God & Satan. Some sick competition. Who would sign up for that?

I hate the whole "It's God's plan" argument, and I'm not an atheist. Supposing you do believe in God, on what basis does someone believe they know what God's plan is? Furthermore, why do we always assume that what happens in our world is caused or not caused by God? What happened to free will, of which, incidentally, is viewed very differently by different religions. Some are quite fatalistic while others are quite accepting of the notion.

Free will & God's plan aren't mutually exclusive, and that makes things really weird/complicated. Which is why we shouldn't presume to understand God's plan.

(Edited)

Yeah but even then, I don't think it's a matter of God punishing those he's smiting (there's a great Farside cartoon of God sitting at a computer with a "smite" button). The story of Job comes to mind here. Which, as a side note, if Christianity is some man-made plot to control the masses and the Bible is devoid of divine inspiration, etc... why in the ever-living-fuck would the mind-controlling powers that be leave the story of Job in the Bible? Because on the surface, it's a game of power between God & Satan. Some sick competition.

The story of Job to me is an example of strength in faith in the absence of perceived divine blessings - a sort of religious "take the good with the bad" if you like. A message to those who would doubt in the times of hardship that god still cares for them and all will come good in the end, they are simply being tested.

Free will & God's plan aren't mutually exclusive, and that makes things really weird/complicated. Which is why we shouldn't presume to understand God's plan.

Disagree, generally? Sure, god can know what our choices will be before we make them, but does that mean he has any influence over them? Alternatively, if he does have influence, they're not free choices, surely? they would only appear that way to us.

(Edited)

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression he had distanced himself from the group over recent years?

I read on his Wiki page that he was excommunicated in August, so maybe you're right. Maybe he realized how wrong he was and attempted to back track. In my mind that still doesn't excuse him from all the bad he's done, all the people his group has tormented, all the children his group has brainwashed. I hope he found whatever he was looking for near the end of his life or in death, but we are better off without him.

Wouldn't Job just be a story to say "Hey, I know you're buying into this religion, giving us money, and following our rules, but things still agent going that great. Don't worry, it is all part of God's plan. You'll be prosperous eventually. If not in this life, then in heaven. Just keep doing what we tell you."

A lot of stuff in the Bible makes no sense to people today. But all those centuries ago some book of fanciful stories seemed pretty damned believable. If it weren't for the generations and generations of people that believe in this stuff because their patents did, it would have a hard time taking hold today.

Wouldn't Job just be a story to say "Hey, I know you're buying into this religion, giving us money, and following our rules, but things still agent going that great. Don't worry, it is all part of God's plan. You'll be prosperous eventually. If not in this life, then in heaven. Just keep doing what we tell you."

Not so much, it wasn't like he saw a light from god and knew everything would be ok - it was really a tough, testing time for him where everyone was saying god was punishing him for some sin. He held his faith and was rewarded.

Yeah, exactly. You're listening to us and following our rules but things still aren't going great. Just stay strong and keep faith. Good things will happen if you stay loyal. So stay obedient.

Also, god has the power to take your health, wealth and family. So don't piss him off. Do what we say.

Now you're getting it. So Legacy - that would be the reason for putting Job in the bible.

I believe in god - I don't generally believe a lot of the bible.

Edit: Believe isn't necessarily the right word, but I can't think of it right now.

Yeah, exactly. You're listening to us and following our rules but things still aren't going great. Just stay strong and keep faith. Good things will happen if you stay loyal. So stay obedient.

Also, god has the power to take your health, wealth and family. So don't piss him off. Do what we say.

Sounds the political manifesto of a certain hack Ward politician community organizer from Chicago who will remain unnamed....

:D

WSS

Now you're getting it. So Legacy - that would be the reason for putting Job in the bible.

I believe in god - I don't generally believe a lot of the bible.

Edit: Believe isn't necessarily the right word, but I can't think of it right now.

Job was in direct contact with God, not Friar Tuck. I'd imagine Tuck's promises are a bit thin while he's fed & slovenly, and you're starving.

This movie is now out guys,

Cal, how many times have you seen it so far?

The crazy thing is, it actually had a decent opening week. Just throw a bunch of things up there people already believe and then reinforce them and it looks like you can make money. Like Logic and I were talking about before, easy way to make money.

Just curious, did anybody see it or are you guys just talking out your ass?

:D

WSS

How are either of us talking out of our ass?

It had a good opening weekend, the premise of the movie is pretty damn clear, and Logic just posted what he had heard....

But no, I would never pay money to go see this, as great of a comedy it must be

Archived