THE BROWNS BOARD

ScienceInTheBible.Net - From Cal

MLD Woody

I don't think South Park invented the flying spaghetti. Also, this avatar change had nothing to do with you, don't be so arrogant. Finally, what do you want me to debate back? Vapor responded better than I could have. I think he made the point for my side pretty obvious. If you still feel there is a debate there isn't much new I can say.

He did and I let this thread die until htownbrown brought it back up. Then you decided to attack me so if you plan on doing that plan on getting attacked back

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riiiight. This was all to extend a 16 page thread to 18. Feel free to argue one side "just cuz" and to be devil's advocate. I think Vapor pretty much shut it down the first time you brought it up. It is almost worse to see people debating you because you don't genuinely believe what you are trying to defend.

If all intelligence is evidence for a god then I guess everything is. This apple in my hand, god. My pants, god. This chair, god. Why? Cuz god that's why.

Edit: apple like the fruit, fuck Apple products

I answered the post you quoted in a pretty straight forward manner. This is where I think you started to get a bit douchey

Back to page 1)

I think the original question was should the schools teach the scientific theory or the religious aspect of where man came from.

My answer is neither. Since neither side has a smoking gun for one side or another it is something that can easily be skipped over and the students can come up with there own conclusions later on in life. Are the students going to be somehow better off in life one way or the other? No. Stick to what is more important and we will be better off.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/stephen-hawking-says-black-holes-dont-exist-180949481/

Not even Stephen hawking can get his story straight. So tell me again about what science has proved

He says that though something like a black hole is certainly out there—there's tons of evidence for them, after all—black holes as they're commonly conceived don't really exist.

So basically this is still more of the scientific method at work. Science has proved that "something like a black hole" exists and what's happening now is a tweaking of the theory. He's not saying that there's no such thing as black holes, as that article seems to want to suggest.

I hope they can some day be used to travel the Universe.

Black hole starship
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A black hole starship is a theoretical idea for enabling interstellar travel by propelling a starship by creating an artificial black hole and using a parabolic reflector to reflect its Hawking radiation. In 2009, Louis Crane and Shawn Westmoreland of Kansas State Universitypublished a paper investigating the feasibility of this idea. Their conclusion was that it was on the edge of possibility, but that quantum gravity effects that are presently unknown may make it easier or make it impossible.[1][2]

Although beyond current technological capabilities, a black hole starship offers some advantages compared to other possible methods. For example, in nuclear fusion or fission, only a small proportion of the mass is converted into energy so enormous quantities of material would be needed thus a nuclear starship would greatly deplete Earth of fissile and fusile material. One possibility is antimatter, but the manufacturing of antimatter is hugely energy inefficient and antimatter is difficult to contain. The Crane and Westmoreland paper continues:

On the other hand, the process of generating a BH from collapse is naturally efficient, so it would require millions of times less energy than a comparable amount of antimatter or at least tens of thousands of times given some optimistic future antimatter generator. As to confinement, a BH confines itself. We would need to avoid colliding with it or losing it, but it won't explode. Matter striking a BH would fall into it and add to its mass. So making a BH is extremely difficult, but it would not be as dangerous or hard to handle as a massive quantity of antimatter. Although the process of generating a BH is extremely massive, it does not require any new Physics. Also, if a BH, once created, absorbs new matter, it will radiate it, thus acting as a new energy source; while antimatter can only act as a storage mechanism for energy which has been collected elsewhere and converted at extremely low efficiency. (None of the other ideas suggested for interstellar flight seems viable either. The proposal for an interstellar ramjet turns out to produce more drag than thrust, while the idea of propelling a ship with a laser beam runs into the problem that the beam spreads too fast.)

According to the authors, a black hole to be used in space travel needs to meet five criteria:

1. has a long enough lifespan to be useful,
  2. is powerful enough to accelerate itself up to a reasonable fraction of the speed of light in a reasonable amount of time,
  3. is small enough that we can access the energy to make it,
  4. is large enough that we can focus the energy to make it,
  5. has mass comparable to a starship.

Black holes seem to have a sweet spot in terms of size, power and lifespan which is almost ideal. A black hole weighing 606,000 tons would have a Schwarzschild radius of 0.9 attometers, a power output of 25.6 gigawatts, and a 593 year lifespan[a]

Getting the black hole to act as a power source and engine also requires a way to convert the Hawking radiation into energy and thrust. One potential method involves placing the hole at the focal point of a parabolic reflector attached to the ship, creating forward thrust. A slightly easier, but less efficient method would involve simply absorbing all the gamma radiation heading towards the fore of the ship, and let the rest shoot out the back to push you onwards. [3]

Notes[edit]
  1. Jump up^ calculated by solving 38939c25e351c2b2fc5e8017f9549dcd.png, abd6b2504394fdca29ad591887c563b9.png and 3f0a5c25bdfd26f2c390bb1c5e999c13.png.
References[edit]
  1. Jump up^ "Are Black Hole Starships Possible?", Louis Crane, Shawn Westmoreland, 2009
  2. Jump up^ Chown, Marcus (25 November 2009). "Dark power: Grand designs for interstellar travel". New Scientist (2736). (subscription required)
  3. Jump up^ http://io9.com/5391989/a-black-hole-engine-that-could-power-spaceships
[hide]
Types
80px-BlackHole.jpg
Size Formation Properties Models Issues Metrics Lists Related

So basically this is still more of the scientific method at work. Science has proved that "something like a black hole" exists and what's happening now is a tweaking of the theory. He's not saying that there's no such thing as black holes, as that article seems to want to suggest.

So its not scientific fact which was always my point. Were not sure what's out there so we should not be treating it as fact. If someone as prominent as hawking is casting doubt on something which has supposedly been observed how can we trust the same theoretical scientists' theories of the big bang as fact? There's no real evidence of that either so what makes that worthy to be taught as fact to children in school?

So its not scientific fact which was always my point. Were not sure what's out there so we should not be treating it as fact. If someone as prominent as hawking is casting doubt on something which has supposedly been observed how can we trust the same theoretical scientists' theories of the big bang as fact? There's no real evidence of that either so what makes that worthy to be taught as fact to children in school?

The first thing I was taught in a science class as a child is the difference between theory and fact. Once that is established, you can and should teach students all theories, and equip them with the critical thinking skills to digest the evidence behind each theory and make up their own minds as to which seems most believable to them. Teach them evolution in biology class, the Big Bang theory in physics, and creationism in religion class or social studies.

It's a human failure to begin to rationalize our most deeply held beliefs until we think of them as facts. I'm equally skeptical of the guy who is certain that God exists as I am of the person who is certain God does not. Ditto for the person who claims the Big Bang theory is true or false. Absolute language has no place in science.

The first thing I was taught in a science class as a child is the difference between theory and fact. Once that is established, you can and should teach students all theories, and equip them with the critical thinking skills to digest the evidence behind each theory and make up their own minds as to which seems most believable to them. Teach them evolution in biology class, the Big Bang theory in physics, and creationism in religion class or social studies.

It's a human failure to begin to rationalize our most deeply held beliefs until we think of them as facts. I'm equally skeptical of the guy who is certain that God exists as I am of the person who is certain God does not. Ditto for the person who claims the Big Bang theory is true or false. Absolute language has no place in science.

This is the answer I was more or less looking for, thanks for that

Although, I don't get the absolute language thing.

The origin of metamorphic or igneous rocks isn't theoretical.

Neither is the biology of a frog.There is plenty of absolutes

in science.

And from that, you have theoretical science.

Although, I don't get the absolute language thing.

The origin of metamorphic or igneous rocks isn't theoretical.

Neither is the biology of a frog.There is plenty of absolutes

in science.

And from that, you have theoretical science.

Yep, I meant no absolutes in theoretical science.

I think you are confusing yourself with the difference between theories and real evidence.

I think you are confusing yourself with what a scientific theory actually is...

If there were no evidence for a hypothesis it would gradually evolve into a theory. If there was no evidence of evolution or the big bang they wouldn't be widely agreed upon scientific theories.

If there were no evidence for a hypothesis it would gradually evolve into a theory. If there was no evidence of evolution or the big bang they wouldn't be widely agreed upon scientific theories.

They simply make it up as they go. Who is going to argue? If they are wrong and something new comes along they tweak things and yell hooray for the new found evidence.

??

Come on, buddy. Sounds like you're confused.

Hypothesis -> theory -> law.

Something something 101.

My bad that had some typos

If there were no evidence for a hypothesis it wouldn't gradually evolve into a theory.

I meant evidence in support of the starting hypothesis.

Also, Erie Dawg, that is a very ignorant take on the process.

Point is, evolution and the big bang are scientific theories and are widely accepted BECAUSE there is evidence out there that supports them. If there was no evidence then they wouldn't be scientific theories

My bad that had some typos

If there were no evidence for a hypothesis it wouldn't gradually evolve into a theory.

I meant evidence in support of the starting hypothesis.

Also, Erie Dawg, that is a very ignorant take on the process.

Point is, evolution and the big bang are scientific theories and are widely accepted BECAUSE there is evidence out there that supports them. If there was no evidence then they wouldn't be scientific theories

listen scientists are human they make mistakes daily and misinterpret evidence on a daily basis, Maybe they are correct I just think that the universe is way way to big to figure out. so when you think about how small our tiny galaxy is compared to the big picture it seems kind of hokey to put 100% faith in the BBT. I caught the tail end of a show on the national geographic channel the other night that basically said the universe is like the veins in our bodies and within those veins are galaxies flowing through like small particles. Did the BBT create highways that Galaxies can flow through? Anyway off to get a tall glass of OJ, which by the way a scientist said a couple weeks ago increased my chances of developing cataracts ten fold, but today new evidence suggests that it OK for you...

listen scientists are human they make mistakes daily and misinterpret evidence on a daily basis, Maybe they are correct I just think that the universe is way way to big to figure out. so when you think about how small our tiny galaxy is compared to the big picture it seems kind of hokey to put 100% faith in the BBT. I caught the tail end of a show on the national geographic channel the other night that basically said the universe is like the veins in our bodies and within those veins are galaxies flowing through like small particles. Did the BBT create highways that Galaxies can flow through? Anyway off to get a tall glass of OJ, which by the way a scientist said a couple weeks ago increased my chances of developing cataracts ten fold, but today new evidence suggests that it OK for you...

Individual scientists make mistakes, of course, but that's the point in peer review. If someone publishes a paper, then you can bet there are 10 people trying to disprove it, especially something as big as the big bang.

As for the OJ, that's basically the same thing - one scientist does a study that shows slightly higher risk of disease x, then other scientists corroborate or disprove.

Enjoy your drink. I've just got up.

Archived