THE BROWNS BOARD

cdl15

Dan Quinn: 'I certainly would've been interested' in Browns job

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

February 03, 2014 05:04 PM ET

Dan Quinn helped win an NFL title in his first season as Seahawks DC. (USATSI)

More SB coverage: Seahawks win 43-8 | Photos | Numbers | More news

Remember the debacle that was the Browns' head-coaching search? You know, how candidates kept taking themselves out of the running (Josh McDaniels, Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, for instance) and how the franchise waited longer than anybody else in the NFL to hire somebody before giving the job to Mike Pettine -- which turned out to be one of the least-exciting hires of the new coaching class?

Well, here's another punch in the gut for Cleveland fans.

Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn -- whose unit just stuffed one of the best offenses in NFL history en route to the Super Bowl XLVIII title -- said after the game that he would have had interest in the Browns job.

"I certainly would've been interested," Quinn told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I mean, it's a big-time place. It's the Cleveland Browns."

Right, that's exactly why so many other candidates dropped out before Cleveland could hire them. It's the Cleveland Browns, and they've been terrible for so many years that the job has become a coaching death trap. Isn't that right, Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Pat Shurmer and Rob Chudzinski?

But if Cleveland wanted him, the Browns would have had to wait. Quinn said he wouldn't interview for a second time until after the Super Bowl was complete.

"To me, it was important," Quinn said. "The relationship I have with these players, to understand we're all in it together -- I couldn't be more proud to be part of that group."

That, of course, is completely understandable. And you also could understand why the Browns perhaps felt like they couldn't take that chance. Considering that so many had turned down the team, Cleveland had to figure that there was a decent shot Quinn would do the same.

Then, the team would be stuck without a coach today.

Instead, the team hired a man in charge of last year's Bills defense, which finished a respectable 10th in the league. Meanwhile, Quinn -- whose unit finished No. 1 -- will remain a defensive coordinator for at least another season.

Screw this guy we got our coach. The front office needed at least this much assurance to wait for this fuck till after Superbowl. I'm glad this ass found out like any other fan and not gettin a phone call. Taking shots like this to try and rile more fans up. Fuck him

Don't u ever talk about the Browns.

He said "I would have been interested" - well, duh, he'd already interviewed once, he was clearly at least interested. He didn't say "I definitely would have taken the job"

Either way, don't care, not important. We have our guy, let's back him.

The NFL should institute a rule: No team can interview for an open HC job until after the SB is done. That way every team would have the same access to potential HC candidates.....and no potential HC candidate would get shut out of job consideration because they were so good at their job that their team plays in the Super Bowl.

Great reactions above... Makes me proud of this board...

Plus, as TC pointed out in another thread, Seattle D was Carroll's D...

I sure don't feel as though I was punched in the gut. It's just the perception people have of us that is portrayed in national media.

There has to be a fan base that people pity so they don't feel as bad when their team sucks.

The NFL should institute a rule: No team can interview for an open HC job until after the SB is done. That way every team would have the same access to potential HC candidates.....and no potential HC candidate would get shut out of job consideration because they were so good at their job that their team plays in the Super Bowl.

Agree 100% if the NFL is serious about parity this is a no-brainier.

what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC? I like the Pettine hire, "but"....if we could have waited a week or two and still had the choice of either pettine or quinn that would have been the prudent move. I fully understand hiring Pettine before the SB if and only if there was other serious interest in him from somewhere else.....which there couldn't have been now that I think about it because we were the last team to have a HC vacancy right? So wtf? Again I like Pettine but c'mon....the Seahawks are the blueprint for all future defense's. I mean it's possible we could have hired quinn as the hc and still gotten pettine to come be his dc. I dunno...i think there's alot of things we don't know so who gives a fuck. I think we got a good dude in any case. My only issue is now leave him the fuck alone for a couple years. No fuck that, leave him alone for a bunch of fucking years. I don't want to hear anyone call for his job next year when we suck....that's the price of rebuilding in the NFL. We'll probably still suck two years from now, but if we're a little bit better in year 2 than year 1....ok, now we're workin with something. So we all just need to stfu and let some folks try to build something.

Quinn was only the DC for one season, just like Gase in Denver. His resume is really not that impressive. He took the 2012 #4 ranked defense (coached for the previous 4 years by Gus Bradley) and like everybody said "played base defense' and won games b/c he had the better players on the field. He didn't "out coach" or "out game-plan" anybody, he just lined up his guys and said "you can't beat us." That probably won't work in Cleveland...

Yes it's stupid. And why does the media feel the need to keep taking shots at the Browns? Because that's all this article is trying to do.

this is all you have to know:

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

doesn't say he's affiliated in any way to any paper, magazine or the NFL itself. 'NFL' writer.

hell you or i could be that.

The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

Interesting... and I like the attitude...

So do I ....

1660901_530182280414322_967536890_n.jpg

We loved Bernie because he wanted to play in Cleveland.

This guys wanted the job. Bad.

I'm loving it.

Zombo

--Seattle will be our bitch in two years.

The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

^+1. Exactly. Pettine essentially told them, you have 48 hours to give me a yes\no, or I have to stay with the Bills, I owe that much too them. If Pettine was out of the picture and Quinn had said no, the Browns were FUBAR.

Quinn was only the DC for one season, just like Gase in Denver. His resume is really not that impressive. He took the 2012 #4 ranked defense (coached for the previous 4 years by Gus Bradley) and like everybody said "played base defense' and won games b/c he had the better players on the field. He didn't "out coach" or "out game-plan" anybody, he just lined up his guys and said "you can't beat us." That probably won't work in Cleveland...

If you were listening to some of the post SB analysis, Seattle runs a very vanilla D- with almost no tricks. Their thinking is "we have superior talent at every position, here we are- try and beat us".

^+1. Exactly. Pettine essentially told them, you have 48 hours to give me a yes\no, or I have to stay with the Bills, I owe that much too them. If Pettine was out of the picture and Quinn had said no, the Browns were FUBAR.

If you were listening to some of the post SB analysis, Seattle runs a very vanilla D- with almost no tricks. Their thinking is "we have superior talent at every position, here we are- try and beat us".

^^^^^ Straight up impressive^^^^^^^ Best superbowl team ever???

Here's an article, via a link from nfl.com, about Pettine backing out if Browns FO didn't make a decision quickly:

http://www.wgr550.com/Pettine-was-close-to-pulling-out-from-Browns-searc/18242795

And I agree, the fact that this guy wanted the job "badly", and wants to get the Browns toughened up...is exciting to say the least. Love the new attitude as reflected on that billboard pic.

Of course he has to have the skills to back that up...that's TBD...but it still needs to start with the fire and desire first.

And the difference to me between the guys you mentioned and Pettine, is the attitude.

They were: "Yay, I'm a Cleveland Brown, bring out the sunshine and rainbows."

versus

Pettine: "AFC North fb must be tough, with a damn strong defense. Now let's kill those black and gold motherfuckers."

Nice to have staff & players who love the Browns as much as we do, but I'll take the second choice just the same.

--Seattle will be our bitch in two years.

LOL... Damn, Z... you have to be the most resilient motherfucker I have ever "met"...

Here's the thing about Pettine's "ultimatim"... our FO's response to it of hiring him so flies in the face of all the "yes-man" speculation associated with the HC search, that I do not know what to believe anymore.

Like I more or less said in a post yesterday...

I have a feeling it's going to end up being really hard to hate this FO and ownership...

... but I think I can be OK with that.

Here's an article, via a link from nfl.com, about Pettine backing out if Browns FO didn't make a decision quickly:

http://www.wgr550.com/Pettine-was-close-to-pulling-out-from-Browns-searc/18242795

Thanks... good read...

Made me like Pettine even more...

Archived