THE BROWNS BOARD

Who all think Bortels is next Worthlessburger?

jeffinwv

no one knows anything than all the podcasters and internet reviewers or MJC or even lvingston (cleve) kiper or mcshay or any fan on this forum.

if you say this is the guy and he turns out great you can toot your horn for the next millennium.

if not, you're just another schlub fan with an opinion like me.

I have a Ryan Tannehill type feeling about him. But Tannehill's story could still go either way. So I guess I'm saying ... I have no idea if he'll be successful . But he doesn't remind me of Bennifer.

Z

I think he has a similar body type to BR. Height, weight, huskyish build. Similar arm strength and mobility. Hard to bring down.

I think that is why the comparison.

The question is does he have the same thing between the ears.

I mean we thought that Charlie Frye could be a Brian Sipe player. He wasn't. Or that Colt McCoy could do a Joe Montana imitation. He couldn't.

I think he has a similar body type to BR. Height, weight, huskyish build. Similar arm strength and mobility. Hard to bring down.

I think that is why the comparison.

The question is does he have the same thing between the ears.

I mean we thought that Charlie Frye could be a Brian Sipe player. He wasn't. Or that Colt McCoy could do a Joe Montana imitation. He couldn't.

Yeah there's just too many guys who fit the size with decent mobility and arm mold though. They come through and get washed away.

BR has some intangibles that are hard to evaluate out of college. Also I'm sure he benefitted from top notch coaching.

I'd like Bortles, but mid-late first round IMO.

Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

There are a whole lot of presumptions there: That JM may be more athletic than Bortles. That may not be true. That Bortles is less skilled than JM. That may not be true. That JM is a more accurate passer than Bortles. That may not be true.

The only fact you are inarguably correct on is that Bortles IS bigger than Manziel.

IMO Bortles is not near the pure athlete Manziel is. Manziel is by far more mobile than Bortles. I mean is that really debatable?

among Carr Manziel Bortles and Bridgewater , he has the lowest percentage of passes defended or int by the D and he has the second highest roll out completion %.

Johnneys completion percentage is about 69% and Bortles is about 65%

Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

Neither one. This is not a deep year for QBs.

I see Manziel as a smaller BR or a slightly larger Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton could not play today, and if BR was smaller he'd be pummelled to death, as long as he holds on to the ball. So I don't think that bodes well for Manziel. Maybe he will be more like a Doug Flutie. Best to improve the team at other positions and pick QB next year.You have to go with what the draft offers each year, or else you use first round picks on second round talent. Unfortunately that takes years, and Browns coaches never have the luxury of having a long term draft strategy.

Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

Runs one at the opening (longest of the nite) and two at the 10:40 mark... not going to be mistaken for Usane Bolt, but he'd lap me in a heartbeat...

Some pretty ugly stuff early on pass-wise, but he settles in the 2nd half... including some nice roll-out action right and left.

He will be no better or worse then John football

and he will be no worse then teddy

none of them are worth a 4th pick. But seeing as EVERYONE at the top of the draft needs a qb, we will be stuck with one of these guys.

Clowney, or Watkins will almost for sure be better then ANY of the QB's in this draft

How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

I don't know if he'd bust out the "Weeden flip" BUT he does have something in his arsenal thats intriguing to me and that's a sidearm with some zip, ala Kosar....

hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

hey man, no disrespect....god bless you for hangin in with the real boys being a browns fan

BUT kentucky was as close as i ever wanted to get to WV. gorgeous country. just a little scary for city folk.

hey how's geno smith doing? tell him tim from NY says hi/bye!

Im surprised it took yall this long.I was born in Cleveland but left the town and accent behind long ago.Geno is doing fine...I think he won twice the games Cleveland did somehow.Im surprised because honestly I wasn't that high on high coming out.That team nosedived in the last part of the season. they were up to 4TH in the country.

And the city kinda creeps me out anymore as well. In pittsburg the other day I hated how the roads seemed smaller and you never got out of traffic.Here in my town we can just drive whatever speed we want and its just not nearly as crowded on the road.

But I love it when people talk about WV.We have been overlooked and kinda let fall by the wayside for a long time.Not as bad anymore but use to when there was a flood or disaster here we were kinda forgot about and not help like a lot of the high profile areas, but like I said its a lot better now.

But all in all youll not find friendlier people than those that live here.Even in Morgantown on gameday people will offer visting people from Texas or Oklahoma food off the grill of a drink. Youll have your exception as you will everywhere.

Archived