THE BROWNS BOARD

Lombardi and Banner gone, Farmer new GM

LondonBrown

I think when George Thomas, (not a sports reporter) told Haslam that the number one question on the stations website was if the Three Stooges were running the Browns was the beginning of the end for Banner and Lombardi. Also asked at that press conference - If Lombardi had been pivotal in firing Chuc, why the hell wasn't he at the press conference? http://larrybrownsports.com/football/reporter-cleveland-browns-three-stooges-video/215264

I think about three seconds after the Three Stooges question was asked, Haslam realized how much the pooch (the browns dawg?) was screwed.

Add in an embarrassing, disjointed, mocked coaching search and he realized that the organization was up to it's lips in shit.

Of course we will never know, but I wonder what Chud might have done minus Lombardi and plus some talent?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm stoked that now. I can have faith in My team again...you manned up Jimmy , and took the bull by the horns...now Let's roll!...

Haslam - Farmer has final say on 53 man roster Pettine has final say on game day roster.

I like that things are clear cut.

They were convoluted with the stooges.

What's more, I get the impression that this is the way Pettine wants it, so no one is stepping on anyone's toes.

Farmer gets the groceries, Pettine picks out the ones that he want for that week's stew.

Zombo

I need to learn more about Farmer. Now, I have no idea what the draft and FA might look like. Hopefully, better than I could predict...

There was a video of him at the Senior Bowl evaluating what he saw to a reporter- it was all I needed to see to know Farmer has more football smarts in his big toe than Lombardi has in his entire body.

Farmer: Star player with a degree from Duke, played three years in the NFL (Eagles) before injury ended his career. Scout for the Falcons for several years (lots of talent there), Director of Pro Personnel in KC (lot's of talent there), 39 years old ... this is the kind of resume you hitch your wagon to, not a guy that fetched Al Davis coffee for eight years and then talked on TV about other people's drafts.

God, I hated ratface Banner and Lombardi since day one ... tried to give them a chance ... but just knew they were wrong for us.

Let's roll ...

Zombo

I was willing to give Weasel Banner 1\2 a chance until I heard Haslam pulled him out of the NFL Main Office's "I need a job" pool. I said from day one, if Lombardi was that great a FO candidate, why was he on NFLN for years instead? Um- and you have to wonder- with Farmer turning down the Miami GM job, were there already private rumblings this was coming down the pike?

Morpheus is our gm. We're all set now

Yes, I noticed the similarity too. Now if he can just draft Neo, Super Bowl here we come. .

PS- when I saw the thread title, I initially thought someone was having an early April Fools joke. Sing a chorus of "Happy Days are Here Again". :)

I like that things are clear cut.

They were convoluted with the stooges.

What's more, I get the impression that this is the way Pettine wants it, so no one is stepping on anyone's toes.

Farmer gets the groceries, Pettine picks out the ones that he want for that week's stew.

Zombo

I like Farmers direct approach. Let the "rising star" become a star here and not somewhere else.

Lombardi must not have been on the same page as Pettine and the other coaches. Get rid of the stubborn cancer.

I think when George Thomas, (not a sports reporter) told Haslam that the number one question on the stations website was if the Three Stooges were running the Browns was the beginning of the end for Banner and Lombardi. Also asked at that press conference - If Lombardi had been pivotal in firing Chuc, why the hell wasn't he at the press conference? http://larrybrownsports.com/football/reporter-cleveland-browns-three-stooges-video/215264

I think about three seconds after the Three Stooges question was asked, Haslam realized how much the pooch (the browns dawg?) was screwed.

Add in an embarrassing, disjointed, mocked coaching search and he realized that the organization was up to it's lips in shit.

Of course we will never know, but I wonder what Chud might have done minus Lombardi and plus some talent?

George Thomas started out in sports for the ABJ. I think he covered the Cavs beat for a few years.

I think the fact that Lombardi didn't want to get off his ass to go to the Senior Bowl convinced JH that he was just there for the paycheck.

Which I think may be true. He had his 5 years in TV and that is nothing like being an NFL GM and Lombardi wanted to hold Holmgren hours.

Loving the board reactions...we're taking it nationally (screw em)... after watching/listening to all the pods, presses, and sound bites - I don't get the feeling of chaos at all... it's pretty calming and bringing some clarity to the off-season.

Farmer - hope he's going to be active/available to media and fans- looks like a great promotion

Jimmy - clearly taking "his shot"... whatever the future holds- he said gimme the wheel- "I own this bitch"

Pettin - going it have some say now, that org chart - skinny at the top (as it should be)

Our coordinators ? just getting to know them ... one things for sure, their young, fresh, and are here to prove something

Overall , this fan is excited at the news of the day.... deep draft coming, plenty of picks, and some cap to burn...

Here we go Brownies, here we go !!!!!!!!!!!

Bermeck ( like Jimmy or not... the browns are a story all the time...time to make us "the" story next season !)

fan-fucking tastic news!!

but to you that thinks this brings us closer to trading up to get the #1 pick i call bullshit. i think it's just the opposite. Farmer and Pettine are both defensive guys.

do you really think these ex-defensive guys are going to trade away picks for some skinny runt QB?

GTFO.

fan-fucking tastic news!!

but to you that thinks this brings us closer to trading up to get the #1 pick i call bullshit. i think it's just the opposite. Farmer and Pettine are both defensive guys.

do you really think these ex-defensive guys are going to trade away picks for some skinny runt QB?

GTFO.

I agree 100%, I bet it was Banner and Lombardi that were pounding the war-drum to trade up to #1 to get Manziel. Now I think both trading up and the Browns interest in Manziel are in doubt. I still think they are likely to pick a QB at #4, but more likely that it'd be Bridgewater or Bortles over Manziel, who just isn't a good fit for the AFC North.

no they won't...but they will still acknowledge we need more than Gordon for next years qb to throw to. If Watkins is as good or potentially better than Gordon we have to take him. If he's gone, has to be Clowney.

i'd love to see clowney there. i think there are taller a bigger receivers that we can nab in the later rounds. yes watkins is a game changer but i don't see him being that tall physical guy that is becoming the NFL standard who doesn't even have to leap to catch a high ball.

clowney, bortles or watkins. in that order. for me, IMO.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam fires Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi, names Ray Farmer general manager

Feb 11, 2014 -- 3:21pm

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Ray-Farmer-Browns.jpg

Jimmy Haslam paid $1.05 billion for the Cleveland Browns. Since the time the deal closed in October of 2012, it seemed that Haslam gave away operation of the club to Joe Banner.

On Tuesday, Haslam took it back.

In a stunning repudiation of the way the Browns were being run, Haslam fired Banner as CEO and Mike Lombardi, Banner’s hand-picked general manager.

Haslam announced that Banner would stay “a couple months” through a transition, and Lombardi would be immediately replaced by Ray Farmer, who was promoted from assistant GM. Lombardi had left the building for good with personal belongings before the announcement was made.

Alec Scheiner, head of business operations, will remain as president.

Haslam reorganized the flow chart so that Scheiner, Farmer and new coach Mike Pettine each will report directly to the owner. He said that Farmer will have final say on the 53-man roster and Pettine, like all coaches, has final say on the 45 players active on game days.

Banner’s organization chart had everyone reporting to him and only he reporting to the owner.

Symbolically, Haslam’s wife, Dee, and son-in-law, J.W., peeked inside the crowded media room as Haslam made the announcements by himself in front of media.

“I felt the previous set-up was a little cumbersome,” Haslam said. “I think the way we’re organized now is much more streamlined, much more efficient and much more clear in terms of who’s in charge of what.

“That’s a setup that I’m used to. I think it’ll work well. I view my job as this: 1. To provide the proper resources. 2. To put the right people in the right place. 3. To hold them accountable. 4. Do everything I can to help them be successful.”

The moves were shocking, considering Banner and Lombardi just presided over the firing of Rob Chudzinski on Dec. 29 and then a spotty coaching search that produced another first-time NFL head coach, Pettine, as his successor.

During the search, the Browns drew widespread criticism from local and national quarters for creating an organization deemed “toxic,” “radioactive” and “dysfunctional.” While Haslam continued to fiercely defend the Browns and the city of Cleveland as an NFL destination, his actions spoke loudly that he agreed something was very wrong with the organization.

“I think he should be applauded for the fact that when there was a tough decision to be made, he looked at it in the eye, he stepped up and made the decision,” Farmer said. “I think that’s what you want from somebody who’s in control in this league, somebody who’s not afraid to make the tough decision regardless of what the public backlash may be.”

In 17 months as Browns owner, Haslam has now fired two heads of the organization (Banner and Mike Holmgren), two general managers (Lombardi and Tom Heckert) and two head coaches (Chudzinski and Pat Shurmur).

“I underestimated this,” Haslam said. “It’s a learning curve to be an NFL owner. If you want to look at me as a work in progress, that’s fair to say. I will tell you this: These are the last of the major changes we’ll make in the organization, but we’ll continue to tinker with it to find ways to improve it and make it better.”

Banner’s reputation as Eagles’ owner Jeff Lurie’s top aide was mixed. He was a tireless administrator and a ruthless negotiator who dreamt of dabbling in football operations more than critics felt he was qualified to do. In Cleveland, Banner appointed himself the No. 1 football authority. Haslam allowed it.

Haslam was careful to avoid throwing Banner and Lombardi under the bus. Banner was solely responsible for bringing Scheiner and Farmer to the organization.

Under Banner’s reign, Haslam’s organization secured a $107 million stadium naming rights deal; an innovative, new broadcast rights deal; partial public funding of a $30 million stadium renovation plan; and a lucrative, 10-year health-care deal that pushed aside 40-year partner Cleveland Clinic for rival University Hospitals. All of these improved the coffers of the Haslam family investment.

But there is no getting around the fact that Banner’s insistence on running the football side and his out-of-the-box hire of Lombardi as his primary sidekick brought about his own meteoric demise.

On the day Lombardi was introduced roughly 14 months ago, Banner conceded he was “going out on a limb” by hiring Lombardi, who had been out of the NFL for five years as an analyst for various media companies.

The Browns proceeded to have one of the worst drafts in their own sorry recent history. And although the moves by Banner and Lombardi set up the Browns with 10 draft picks and more than $35 million in salary cap room, the fact is the franchise suffered a 4-12 season – a game worse than the previous regime’s lame-duck year. Haslam and Banner pinned the reversal on the Chudzinski coaching staff. But, again, Haslam’s actions spoke louder than words.

Lombardi’s controversial reputation in the 1990s as a career-climber under Bill Belichick – and then with the Oakland Raiders -- ultimately harmed the Browns’ ability to attract coaches they most desired.

Over two coaching searches, they missed on Chip Kelly, Bill O’Brien (twice), Doug Marrone, Ken Whisenhunt (twice), Josh McDaniels and Adam Gase. Last month, Banner said hiring Pettine rather than waiting for Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn was the “toughest decision” of the search.

Haslam responded to a question about that comment by saying brusquely, “I was really committed to coach Pettine.”

Later, when pressed on whether the Banner-Lombardi dynamic impeded getting the coach they wanted, Haslam said, “I think we got the best head coach we could get. We’re very excited about Coach Pettine.”

Lombardi’s very presence in the organization was so “toxic” that he was sequestered from routine press conferences and made unavailable to media except for three appearances – his introduction, a Q and A session before the 2013 draft, and a one-day availability in training camp.

Farmer, 39, held his own in his first presser after Haslam’s announcement.

Farmer insisted he was on a career path to become an NFL GM, but was made no promises by the Browns after he dropped out of the running for the Miami Dolphins’ vacancy last month. But by withdrawing, presumably as the front-runner, rumors swiftly circulated that he would be promoted ahead of Lombardi.

Nobody, however, envisioned Banner and Lombardi both losing their jobs.

The broad sweep of Haslam’s broom took the edge off a truly historic day for Farmer, who became the seventh African-American to hold the GM job with an NFL team.

“I’m definitely very proud of having this day,” Farmer said. “My mom and dad are here. I wanted them to see this moment in their life. I’m extremely excited for them to witness their son achieve this milestone that I set forth in my life.”

Farmer will be in charge of Browns free agency and the draft in what Haslam previously noted was “THE critical offseason of the Browns.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Farmer already had hired Bill Kuharich as his right-hand man in personnel. Kuharich formerly was head of personnel with the Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints and, like Farmer, has a sterling reputation in NFL personnel circles.

A business guy is running business.

A football guy is running football.

A coach is coaching.

All report to the owner.

Imagine that. A logical setup with a respected guy running the football show.

A business guy is running business.

A football guy is running football.

A coach is coaching.

All report to the owner.

Imagine that. A logical setup with a respected guy running the football show.

Very nice. I don't think anyone understood the haslam/banner/lombardi/coach dynamic. Definitely needed this change.

Pettine in his 40's, both of our OC's and our GM in their 30's.

But more importantly, real football people in place, with accountability and answering directly to the owner.

Now leave it alone for 4-5 years Jimmy, and you just might be surprised to find out that you bought an NFL team in the best football city in the USA.

Zombo

Pettine in his 40's, both of our OC's and our GM in their 30's.

But more importantly, real football people in place, with accountability and answering directly to the owner.

Now leave it alone for 4-5 years Jimmy, and you just might be surprised to find out that you bought an NFL teamin the best football city in the USA.

Zombo

what's that bring the running tab on people that haslam has fired? these guys must be walking away with a pocket full of scratch.

There was a video of hm at the Senior Bowl evaluating what he saw to a reporter- it was all I needed to see to know Farmer has more football smarts in his big toe than Lombardi has in his entire body.

I was willing to give Weasel Banner 1\2 a chance until I heard Haslam pulled him out of the NFL Main Office's "I need a job" pool. I said from day one, if Lombardi was that great a FO candidate, why was he on NFLN for years instead? Um- and you have to wonder- with Farmer turning down the Miami GM job, were there already private rumblings this was coming down the pike?

Yes, I noticed the similarity too. Now if he can just draft Neo, Super Bowl here we come. .

PS- when I saw the thread title, I initially thought someone was having an early April Fools joke. Sing a chorus of "Happy Days are Here Again". :)

Does Neo= Shane Falco?

Archived