THE BROWNS BOARD

Bring Schaub to Cleveland?

RoyceRolls

This is for those "there's no QB worth drafting" guys. Schaub is 32 years old, and I believe he still has something left in the tank (he only played two games his first 3 years in the league). He had a bad year last year, but are we supposed to believe that he can't bounce back? Last year Phillip Rivers, who was drafted the same year as Schaub, had a big bounce back year after a few disappointing seasons. A change of scenery could be good for Schaub, especially if reunited with his former OC Kyle Shanahan.

In two years under Shanahan Schaub completed 67% of his passes while throwing for over 7800 yards and 44 TDs to 25 Ints. Yes, he was considerably younger then, but like I said, a 32 year old QB with a proven track record certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt. So here is the scenario. The Browns sign Schaub, freeing up the first round to upgrade other positions on the offense and the first round plays out like #4 Watkins, #26 Yankey. Later in the draft the RB position is addressed and the Offense is instantly a contender.

Schaub throwing to Gordon (Andre Johnson comparison) Watkins, Cameron, possibly a late round addition like Hazel or Washington, and Benjamin, playing behind a better offensive line (even before the upgrades through the draft) and hopefully getting good production out of a revamped running game.

I'm not saying this is what the Browns should do, but I'd certainly be open to this option, as long as the Browns could land him for a reasonable price. I believe this scenario would give the Browns a top ten offense and potentially 3-4 playoff appearances. Not a bad place to start IMO.

for those of you who will post "this is a dogshit idea" lets hear why it is, and what would be the better route to take.

Yeah, I guess I got ahead of myself, Houston hasn't cut him yet. If Houston does go a different direction at QB they'll have to cut him unless they find a team who is still willing to pay him what he's due (good luck).

If the Texans designate Schaub as a post-June 1 cut, the cap charge in 2014 would be $3.5 million. In 2015, $7 million in dead money would apply. The Texans also would avoid paying Schaub $10 million next season by cutting him, along with another $1 million in total per-game roster bonuses.

The Browns sign Schaub, freeing up the first round to upgrade other positions on the offense and the first round plays out like #4 Watkins, #26 Yankey. Later in the draft the RB position is addressed and the Offense is instantly a contender.

I like everything except the Schaub part...

Seriously, you make a great case on paper, but you must not have seen him play much. He made some decisions that were Wheezy bad.... I shit you not.

Definitely no to Schaub.

His year wasn't just a down year it was an abysmal year. He couldn't handle the heat from the Houston fan base imagine the Cleveland one.

I'd prefer to find our own guy. The only way I'd be cool with Schaub is if he'd come in as a backup.

Houston had HUGE pass protection problems. I believe we'd have a better chance at the playoffs with him next year, than anyone on the roster or anyone we could draft. If we sign him to a deal similar to Campbells Id be all for it. Still draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Schaub, Hoyer, Garrapollo/Mettenberger sounds like an interesting competition.

There's a lot of examples of guys like Schaub in recent memory, some were Cleveland Browns. McNabb, Culpepper, Delhomme, Kyle Orton, Hasslebeck are all names that come off the top of my head. The point I'm making here is that most QB's just start to break down when they get to Schaub's age. Very few QB's play at an elite Manning type level once they hit their mid 30's. Schaub was good for many years but it's plain to see he's past his prime. He's got a good 2-3 years left as a back-up but that's it. If we brought him to start it'd be another sad year of mediocre QB play.

Good eye. Actually none of them are. I'm just saying that the difference between the Cleveland Browns being a winning franchise and a losing franchise probably isn't Matt Schaub.

WSS

probably not. But I dont think its Hoyer either. If we get 2010-2012 Schaub though....watch out. The chances he reverts to form is better than Hoyer or a rookie leading us to the playoffs imo. If we decide we dont like any of these rookies in the first round, we could bring him in to compete with Hoyer and a developmental rookie. Probably for < 4 mill a year.

The only way I'd consider signing Schaub is if we decide not to take a QB with our first 3 picks. A change of scenery may be just the thing he needs to bounce back to pro bowl potential. His ties to Shanny is intriguing also, may be something to watch out for if Houston decides to let him walk.

The only way I'd consider signing Schaub is if we decide not to take a QB with our first 3 picks. A change of scenery may be just the thing he needs to bounce back to pro bowl potential. His ties to Shanny is intriguing also, may be something to watch out for if Houston decides to let him walk.

let hoyer and schaub battle it out with campbell knowing he's #3 unless our rookie QB from the 4th round lights it up.

probably not. But I dont think its Hoyer either. If we get 2010-2012 Schaub though....watch out. The chances he reverts to form is better than Hoyer or a rookie leading us to the playoffs imo. If we decide we dont like any of these rookies in the first round, we could bring him in to compete with Hoyer and a developmental rookie. Probably for < 4 mill a year.

Problem is Schaub was flat out horrible last year. Tour is right- he was Brandon Weeden bad. Cost the Texans several games with pick sixes,and got Kubiak fired. You really want to take a chance he can turn it around?

Plus, the Browns future is not 2014. Even if Farmer hits it out of the park in the draft and FA, we won't be playing in the 2015 Super Bowl. It's just never been done- that a team can go from 4-12 to World Champions in one season.

Problem is Schaub was flat out horrible last year. Tour is right- he was Brandon Weeden bad. Cost the Texans several games with pick sixes,and got Kubiak fired. You really want to take a chance he can turn it around?

Plus, the Browns future is not 2014. Even if Farmer hits it out of the park in the draft and FA, we won't be playing in the 2015 Super Bowl. It's just never been done- that a team can go from 4-12 to World Champions in one season.

so do you wait on 2015 to draft the franchise guy that farmer likes and throw a third rounder at a QB or do you take a guy (QB) that pettine and farmer really don't want @4?

IMHO take clowney if he's there, if not trade down one or two spots to whatever team feels they need one of those guys for their number one next year and go for the guy they truly want in mariota?

St. Louis Rams, my friend.

4-12 nobodies to 13-3 Greatest Show on turf.

That's us next year, with Hoyer playing the part of Warner ... We just need to find a Marshall Faulk.

Z

St. Louis Rams, my friend.

4-12 nobodies to 13-3 Greatest Show on turf.

That's us next year, with Hoyer playing the part of Warner ... We just need to find a Marshall Faulk.

Z

That was lighting in a bottle, won't happen again. Unless Shanahan is the 2nd coming, that isn't going to happen for us next year even if we had the next Kurt Warner and those ridiculous receivers.

That was lighting in a bottle, won't happen again. Unless Shanahan is the 2nd coming, that isn't going to happen for us next year even if we had the next Kurt Warner and those ridiculous receivers.

We've got one ridiculous one.

Draft Watkins. Grab Tre Mason later one. Hoyer turns out to be better than anyone thought ... lightning in a bottle.

Zombo

Archived