THE BROWNS BOARD

Good old brownies...

GuNNerGatSKi

Hiya everyone. I have been reading the forums here on the browns board for the last month or so and finally decided to make an account and join in on the discussions. I have really enjoyed reading the posts here and often get quite a laugh out of some of the more, shall we say, "vocal" members. Introduction aside, I have a not so original idea that I would like to float to the rest of you.

With the considerable depth available in this draft, trading back is not such a bad idea. Now I know a large number of Brown's fans would like for us to stay where we are and either pick a qb/BPA with number four or trade up to get our pick of the whole lot. The more and more I study this draft and the available players and evaluate the "big three" quarterbacks coming out this year the greater my desire is for us to, as Farmer has hinted, throw some curveballs. I'm not saying that the Bottles, Bridgewater, abd manziel have nothing to offer us or are going to be busts (honestly who truely knows such things, all we have to go on is what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears). Quite frankly the more I listen to and watch manziel I find myself being sucked into the blackhole that is the JFF enigma. But the mass that sits between my ears is screaming don't take the bait! Trade back goddamnit! Thankfully I don't actually have to make these decisions. But lets picture this: trading down from the 4th overall and picking up a later 1st rounder and whatever else is packaged into the deal. With the amount of depth available at many positions (particularly WR) we could easily nail some extraordinary talent in the latter part of the first round as well as 2 and 3, likely even 4. So, if a guy like Mariota is more up Farmers alley, what could be better than stockpiling as many picks and grabbing as much potential talent as possible this year and then hold nothing back at the next draft, whatever it takes, to get us into a position (no.1 overall) to grab potentially a much more capable candidate for franchise qb (with a shit ton of talent to go with him if we trade down and grab more picks this year). We could easily pickup two great WR this year in the bottom 1st/2nd (np.2 and a kickass demon to work the slot). Couple that with one or two rb selections (hyde/seastrunk imo), some OL help, and a couple depth picks and come next draft we could pick a middling journeyman and still have some success. But if we bet the farm (kinda like Washington with RG3, but with weapons in place prior to doing so) next year and do take a guy like Mariota, we can have a chance at true long-term sucrss and stability. Just a thought.... I'm not even one hundred percent sold in this line of thinking myself, but the more I mull over it the more it makes sense. Or we can just say fuck it all and JFF HERE WE COME BABY! Hahaha wooo!

Hiya everyone. I have been reading the forums here on the browns board for the last month or so and finally decided to make an account and join in on the discussions. I have really enjoyed reading the posts here and often get quite a laugh out of some of the more, shall we say, "vocal" members. Introduction aside, I have a not so original idea that I would like to float to the rest of you.

With the considerable depth available in this draft, trading back is not such a bad idea. Now I know a large number of Brown's fans would like for us to stay where we are and either pick a qb/BPA with number four or trade up to get our pick of the whole lot. The more and more I study this draft and the available players and evaluate the "big three" quarterbacks coming out this year the greater my desire is for us to, as Farmer has hinted, throw some curveballs. I'm not saying that the Bottles, Bridgewater, abd manziel have nothing to offer us or are going to be busts (honestly who truely knows such things, all we have to go on is what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears). Quite frankly the more I listen to and watch manziel I find myself being sucked into the blackhole that is the JFF enigma. But the mass that sits between my ears is screaming don't take the bait! Trade back goddamnit! Thankfully I don't actually have to make these decisions. But lets picture this: trading down from the 4th overall and picking up a later 1st rounder and whatever else is packaged into the deal. With the amount of depth available at many positions (particularly WR) we could easily nail some extraordinary talent in the latter part of the first round as well as 2 and 3, likely even 4. So, if a guy like Mariota is more up Farmers alley, what could be better than stockpiling as many picks and grabbing as much potential talent as possible this year and then hold nothing back at the next draft, whatever it takes, to get us into a position (no.1 overall) to grab potentially a much more capable candidate for franchise qb (with a shit ton of talent to go with him if we trade down and grab more picks this year). We could easily pickup two great WR this year in the bottom 1st/2nd (np.2 and a kickass demon to work the slot). Couple that with one or two rb selections (hyde/seastrunk imo), some OL help, and a couple depth picks and come next draft we could pick a middling journeyman and still have some success. But if we bet the farm (kinda like Washington with RG3, but with weapons in place prior to doing so) next year and do take a guy like Mariota, we can have a chance at true long-term sucrss and stability. Just a thought.... I'm not even one hundred percent sold in this line of thinking myself, but the more I mull over it the more it makes sense. Or we can just say fuck it all and JFF HERE WE COME BABY! Hahaha wooo!

too many picks as is. If we dont pick QB at 4 we should take the BPA thats not a reciever. We have plenty of ammo to get a third 1st or another 2nd.

too many picks as is. If we dont pick QB at 4 we should take the BPA thats not a reciever. We have plenty of ammo to get a third 1st or another 2nd.

i can live with that also. i'm just not sold on any of these guys(QBs). i mean i lean towards some guys more than others. what i've watched of the combine so far today is more i've seen of any of these guys period. i mean i'm not going to youtube and watching highlight reels of every player who i'd like us to draft. i mean i liked what i saw out of a lot of QBs AND WRs and could see us drafting a number of them.

can't wait to see the RBs.

Yup and the more I hear from farmer the more I see him as a guy smart enough to understand and undertake the approach I outlined above. Logically, it makes so much sense to solidify the OL, receiver corp, and backfield before you bring in a franchise qb to get mutilated behind a unstable at best OL and an incomplete receiving group. Filling some holes in our defense will go a long long way as well. Therefore, if and when we go all in on a franchise qb (hopefully next year), we will have plenty of chess pieces in place for him to maximize his chances at being a prolific and consistent answer to pur qb woes.

I'm just not enamored with any of the qb in this draft. That's not to say I'm not intrigued by any of them.... I just can't see myself handing the keys to the car to any of them without having some major doubts....

join the club. But to be fair, I would say thats been the case for every QB to ever play the game minus a select few.

join the club. But to be fair, I would say thats been the case for every QB to ever play the game minus a select few.

Yes and no. Yes you never say any draft pick is going to be a surefire thing. But there are certainly much better candidates than what's available this year. Guys who yes there are some concerns about but there minor. I have at least one major bone to pick with every qb in this draft.

Archived