THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pettine Chronicles

Remarker

What do ya think about Pettine? Do you like him, dislike him or something in between...and why?

I'll begin by saying what I like most about Pettine...He told Wrecks Ryan to kiss his ass, probably figuratively but I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually.

Pettine didn't renew his contract offer from the Jets and without any job prospects. He seems to have had it with that joke of a franchise and was among several coaches and players that bailed. The contract offer was about 30 days before he interviewed with the Bills and was signed.

There are numerous vids and articles about the event and if this thread hangs around long enough, they will likely get linked.

FYI, Pettine is the reason I'm on this board. He's one of a kind IMO.

Who knows....Deep down we all know he is all Cleveland could get.We took who would have us.Hes basically all we got and we will go with it for at least 364 days...I hope

Well, that's the point of this thread...to post some stuff that will help in trying to understand the method to Pettine's madness. I was just thinking that with some insight into Pettine the man, Browns fans would gain a level of optimism that often seems to be missing in some of the comments.

Regardless of whether Pettine was a 'bottom of the barrel choice or not, the linked articles address that choice, what Pettine thinks about it and how it will likely affect the Browns.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_browns_10.html

Excerpt 1):

There’s much to like about Mike Pettine.

While this is often the case with rookie head coaches who stand undefeated, even unscored upon, it’s more so with Pettine since he’s now delivered the only clarity in the muddled story of the Browns’ interest in 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh.

"I got a phone call that the report was about to come out, and I shot the messenger a little bit," Pettine told reporters at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Saturday. "My first question was, 'How does that affect my tenure as the head coach?' I either used the word 'flying' followed by something or I referenced a part of a rat's body.”

The Harbaugh story fits the personal agendas of many of those involved. That’s what’s so refreshing about Pettine and Ray Farmer. The have no agendas.

Why would Pettine care if the Browns chased Harbaugh? Being of sound mind, he already knows he wasn’t first choice, and that his owner, team president and GM were flying to Florida to talk to Greg Schiano and entertaining the idea of Josh McDaniels in the days before the day before he was hired.

Excerpt 2):

Whether it disproves all the media group-think that said nobody wanted the job. Would Banner have survived if the Browns traded for Harbaugh? Maybe not. Pettine doesn’t have to care about any of it.

"I think that's noise.,” he said Saturday. “It has no bearing on my job moving forward. That's a critical thing. A big part of being an NFL head coach involves dealing with noise and distractions. Add that to the list."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Brian-Billick-Browns-got-good-man/0bf12195-9662-45d4-b1af-a112683420ae

Excerpt 1):

“I wanted someone with more of a football background, a guy that we could actually sit down with, give instructions to and he would kind of understand what we were expecting,” Billick recalled. “Mike’s name came up and it was one of those things where once he came in and I saw how confident he was, I basically tried to talk him out of the job because I wanted him to understand what the job was.

“I did everything I could to say, ‘You’d be an idiot if you took this job,’ and when I was done, he said, ‘Yep. Fine. I want it.’ I said, ‘Okay, you’ve got it.’”

Excerpt 2):

“Mike immediately came in and you saw he had the comprehensive abilities,” Billick said. “He started on the video side and he understood computers and grew into whatever coaching job you gave him. Rex relied on him heavily in terms of scheming, keeping that side of the ball organized. I worked closely with Mike. He organized the defensive cards and I ran both of the scout teams. You saw the organizational ability. From a personnel standpoint, (Ravens general manager) Ozzie Newsome and his staff came to recognize that Mike was an excellent evaluator of talent. He’d check off all of the boxes as he progressed through our organization that whatever task you gave him, he did it.

I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

i thought you guys have 'box day'?

i like pettine w/o really knowing anything about him. he exudes confidence and toughness, unlike the past 2 dumb (shurmur) and goober (chud) mfers we've had on the sidelines.

Nah we usually do that by Halloween.

WSS

:) Didn't they give him and 8 game contract with an option for another 8?

Mike, my feeling is we don't have any idea yet what Pettine is going to do as a HC. There's always optimism going into the season.

He's a first time head coach. I like his demeanor and expect accountability from his players after losses. No Chud and Shurmur "battling" mantras.

oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

My god, you've been possessed by the evil spirit of Ghoolie.

Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

There's a difference- Shurmur may not have lost the locker room, but as a HC He was a complete gameday buffoon coach. Chud did not only not lose the locker room, but he was at least 1\2 competent coaching the team on Sunday.

Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

^+1, a lot of really good points.

From your words to the ears of Browns' fans. Well said sir.

dude, where's all this hate coming from all of a sudden? cuz they cut DQ? yeah i liked him too, but this is sports in america. you can't hold on to your hopes and dreams with one guy when all they really want is the money. as a clevelander i would hope you already know this with lebron leaving and irving looks like he's going to do the same. hell did the nuggets squirm when carmelo left? he left, they had a better year and he has done shit since coming to new york (i mean he's good, but the team sucks).

DQ will go to a team like denver or jax and contribute the same as he did here. allow the RB an 8 yard gain and tackle him from behind.

don't be surprised if he comes back with his tail between his legs wondering if he can still get that contract the browns were trying to restructure. sure he is a great character guy and has good leadership skills, but if that was all it took to play in the NFL, tebow would still be playing. what do you want a 40 yr. old MLB playing on fumes cuz you love the guy?

at least this FO is looking ahead to the future.

hell, i'm surprised PoG didn't hang himself in a tree outside of the facility in berea when they traded TR.

take a deep breath and have a bloody mary. enjoy your sunday. still 2+ months before the draft. anything can happen.

Not so much "meaner" but definitely 'serious business'. I like his no nonsense, no double talk, straight shooter demeanor. The success of his defenses is a testament to his leadership. Pettine's pressers are what initially got my attention in so far as becoming a Pettine fan is concerned.

The following are some of Pettine's Jets pressers. Each one viewed will increase an understanding of Pettine's coaching philosophy and expertise.

Disclaimer: I know listing all of these is over kill but it wasn't to hard for me to make it 'easy access' for those that want to gain some insight into how this guy thinks.

9-27-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Pettine_Jets_Have_to_Move_On/6da905e3-1282-4473-9cf1-070d914278ba

10-11-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1011_Pettine_Injuries_are_Part_of_the_Game/ffb80d02-3545-4b76-af6e-63efd61d4f07

10-18-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1018_Pettine_Hard_to_Play_Small_Ball_Against_NE/920c0682-e1a4-4b02-bbac-44b7643af870

10-25-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1025_Pettine_Bart_Has_Been_a_Warrior/93c18aca-2005-4586-9fb0-f6ca3c4c43da

11-8-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Pettine_Wilson_is_a_Complete_Quarterback/c4024e0b-7840-430c-bbc6-f5706f6b7352 (Discusses QB skill sets)

11-15-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Mike_Pettine_Were_Full_Speed_Ahead/cad5f934-39dd-4ce2-b1b0-7df621b6de1f

11-29-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1129_Pettine_Weve_Been_Too_Inconsistent/43b39964-cc59-40cc-a272-577cd4120146

12-6-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/126_Pettine_Our_Guys_had_a_Great_Attitude/39e0eb1b-5728-4c5d-b6ca-3ec247b5099d

12-14-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Pettine_Mo_is_Doing_All_the_Little_Things_Well/69f1f8f7-99a6-45e0-88e4-7603f335c653

12-20-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1220_Pettine_Our_Guys_Will_Play_Hard/c3c6dc66-89e0-44d2-a5ef-e1454bdca1cf

12-27-12 http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/1227_Pettine_Glad_to_See_Cro_and_Landry_Rewarded/77fd06d0-ca22-4057-a155-0fcc1787f5d7

Reminder:

And these pressers were with the NY media duck line...not the easiest flock to herd.

and body language wise I see alot of looking down and to the left which psychologists say is a sign of either duplicity or meakness/submission. Take that for what you will. What he's saying though i can see he knows his shit about defense's...obviously. He makes a good impression overall, just not that "hardass" we were told he was.

dude, where's all this hate coming from all of a sudden? cuz they cut DQ? yeah i liked him too, but this is sports in america. you can't hold on to your hopes and dreams with one guy when all they really want is the money. as a clevelander i would hope you already know this with lebron leaving and irving looks like he's going to do the same. hell did the nuggets squirm when carmelo left? he left, they had a better year and he has done shit since coming to new york (i mean he's good, but the team sucks).

DQ will go to a team like denver or jax and contribute the same as he did here. allow the RB an 8 yard gain and tackle him from behind.

don't be surprised if he comes back with his tail between his legs wondering if he can still get that contract the browns were trying to restructure. sure he is a great character guy and has good leadership skills, but if that was all it took to play in the NFL, tebow would still be playing. what do you want a 40 yr. old MLB playing on fumes cuz you love the guy?

at least this FO is looking ahead to the future.

hell, i'm surprised PoG didn't hang himself in a tree outside of the facility in berea when they traded TR.

take a deep breath and have a bloody mary. enjoy your sunday. still 2+ months before the draft. anything can happen.

what did any of my post have to do with DQ? My post was about tempering our expectations cause I see some of us are thinking this is the next reincarnation of Cowher who would jaw with guys like Loyd and Greene. I don't think we have that. We've got a guy that I think can grow to be a very good coach if we all stfu and let him and Farmer do their thing for a couple years. In no way is this guy going to succeed in the same micro time frame we gave Shurmur let alone Chud.

i agree 100%. just going from this thread from the last that you posted about us sucking and will be lucky to win 3 games. remember that?

IMO i think these guys have shown haslam that they know about football inside and out and he will trust them unlike the 2 rat bastards that he just fired.

i agree 100%. just going from this thread from the last that you posted about us sucking and will be lucky to win 3 games. remember that?

No no, not lucky to win 3 games....I'm saying 3 wins is our minimum with 5 being max, 6 exceeding my wildest expectations. So far I've seen nothing thats gonna get me those 6 wins and if we keep releasing productive veterans 5 wins is going to become a statistical oddity. I'll refresh my calculations after the draft.

he actually doesn't come off that mean. He's certainly no Del Rio or Cowher. Hell wild boy Rob could come off hotter than some of those video's. He doesn't have any kind of innate demeanor that's gonna intimidate anybody

Exactly. I said in an earlier post that Pettine is icer than Belichick but after rewatching some of the pressers as I posted the list, I lied. Belichick is THE Ice Man. I suppose my memory of Pettine being icey had to do with how often he smiles. When I watched Pettine pressers I found myself wondering if he would smile this time or not. Funny how things like that leave an impression.

and body language wise I see alot of looking down and to the left which psychologists say is a sign of either duplicity or meakness/submission. Take that for what you will. What he's saying though i can see he knows his shit about defense's...obviously. He makes a good impression overall, just not that "hardass" we were told he was.

I'm no psychologists, psychiatrist or profiler and not to make excuses for anyone, particularly not a NFL HC, but looking down probably has something to do with camera lighting. Did you see the shadow when he's wearing a cap? It was so dark I couldn't even tell if he was wearing hollywoods or not. And looking left...the 'presser director' sits over there. You occasionally hear him ask if there are any more questions and often see people doing the pressors (HC, QB, OC, etc.) look in that direction for ques.

Re: Is Pettine a hardass?

The answer to that question probably depends on whom you ask. From hearsay I understand a player that breaks a Pettine rule gets a dose of something, often coming in the form of THE LOOK. You know, the kind of look similar to the one you get from your significant other when you fuck up. :)

Regardless, it's fair to say Pettine is serious business.

Archived