THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Rubin may be the next cut

The Gipper

I have heard the talk on the radio this morning that there are reports that Aytahba Rubin may be the next salary cut for this team.

Apparently he is scheduled to make like 7+million dollars, and the powers that be with the Browns don't think he is worth investing that much money in.

I don't know. I guess at this point Rubin is a rotational guy. We do have others on the line. He is not a perennial Pro Bowler. And 7 million is a lot. But, to me, he is part of the quality depth the Browns have there.

Money does get in the way of things, doesn't it.

Sure, maybe DQJ would have been good to keep for whatever he had at a lesser price.

Same with Rubin.

I guess we shall see.

I see him as being in the same situation as DQ, with the possible difference that I don't know if he's owed a roster bonus and if not can we try to trade him? Both solid, neither pro-bowl calibre, and $16m on two players like that is a bit much.

He's solid, but unspectacular and for $7m a year we can probably find better. By all accounts he seems better suited to a 4-3 DT than 3-4 DE position.

In my opinion, Rubin has performed at a higher level than DQ did in his time here....but he and DQ were the most senior members of this team I believe (once Dawson left).

Maybe this regime feels it wants to leave those who have been here through so much losing behind....expecially when it would cost a lot to keep them.

Rubins our best lineman, still better than Taylor...let's be clear about that. He would have gotten us something real good in a trade. But now we're gonna cut him and get nothing.

Yep. Farmer sucks, get rid and lets get new guys in.

Yep. Farmer sucks, get rid and lets get new guys in.

well in his defense the decision on Rubin should have been made last year and he wouldn't have been the signal caller on that one. I mean now, what can they do? The joos in the FO say we don't want to pay vets like Rubin and DQ, so that's that. Rubin I at least understand letting walk cause we have backup at his position. DQ I will never understand. And what these two losses mean for the lockeroom is a big question. Guys will start questioning being here and playing their asses off. Stil salty though that we're not gonna get shit for Rubin. There are teams out there that are "desperate" for a 3-4 NT of Rubins caliber. Even 4-3 teams would be pickled shit to have him, he's one of the best down lineman in the NFL. I know Indy will be all over his ass. Indy picks up Rubin and that defense just became potential top 5.

Rubins our best lineman, still better than Taylor...let's be clear about that. He would have gotten us something real good in a trade. But now we're gonna cut him and get nothing.

yep I was screamin for them to trade him last year. Was told not worth it. Man just shows how stupid banner and Lombardi was

well we haven't cut him yet.

there's a march 11th (?) cap hit, after that a lot of teams will be resigning players, so maybe they're just waiting. i mean mack or ward haven't been taken care of yet either.

calm down marys.

With the amount of cap space the Browns have they should just eat his contract and if they want to get rid of him trade him away. We have plenty of depth, so I'm not worried about losing him, but I don't like the idea of cutting a player that has decent trade value on him. He is worth at least a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Same for DQ, we could have gotten a second rounder for DQ, at the least.

The reality is that the salary cap is 133 million. There are 53 players on a team. That averages out to 2.5 million per player. Winn and Hughes are on rookie minimum deals, and are on the same level as Rubin, and honestly I dont think hes a great fit in the 3/4. Hes a good 4/3 DT. Same thing goes for Jackson.

Rubins our best lineman, still better than Taylor...let's be clear about that.

No. Not clear about that. I'd prefer Taylor any day, and honestly I think Winn and Bryant are equal to or better than Rubin. So, NO we're not clear about that at all...

You realize this is the same person that thinks Weeden could get us a fourth right?

No I didn't realize that..... I haven't be around the BB all that long... But really, weeds for a fourth? Your not just outta your fucking mind, your goddamn Retarded! I wouldny trade a 7yh rounder or a bag of my own feces for weeds.

I think he also said Colt McCoy was worth a 2nd round pick.

There's reality, there's homer logic, then there's PoG.

LOL. Well goddamn maybe farmer needs to hit the road then and well usher in an era of dominance by making PoG GM, head coach, OC, DC, LBC, SC, etc. The browns will make history and win ten straight super bowls since we can get second rounders for 3rd string qbs and possibly 1st rounders to trade away mediocre middle linebackers (as far as his in the field play goes, in the locker room by all accounts DQ was one of the best).

Whoever said I said we could get a fourth for Weeden is an idiot. Fuck off.

No. Not clear about that. I'd prefer Taylor any day, and honestly I think Winn and Bryant are equal to or better than Rubin. So, NO we're not clear about that at all...

Rubin holds and sheds lineman as well as Taylor but moves laterally better and gets up field better. Taylor relies heavily on his sheer size to clog up lanes. Overall Rubin is a much better lineman and adaptable to any front whereas Taylor is vastly more suited to the 3-4. Really not sure what you're thinking about Winn and Bryant. Winn is not even close yet to being as good as Rubin and Bryant is a 5 tech DE so I really don't know why you're mentioning him because he plays a different position. This is football 101 c'mon guys.

Your out of your fucking mind if you think we would have received at least a second rounder for Dq. Out of your godamn mind.

Why is it so inconceivable that we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for the 7th leading tackler in the NFL? I mean it comes down to need obviously and if there's a team out there with a severe deficiency at LB'er why would a 2nd rounder be so ridiculous? DQ is interviewing with the Broncos is he not? One of the best defenses in the NFL is taking a look at him, can you give him some credit for this? Within two days he had one of the best defense's in teh NFL calling him and also have a couple other middle of the road teams with need at LB'er. Would a team give a high 2nd round pick for him? i dunno maybe not....but a team like the Broncos for instnance, who are going to be picking late in every round for the forseeable future i think would gladly give up a late 2nd round pick for a guy like DQ.

With the amount of cap space the Browns have they should just eat his contract and if they want to get rid of him trade him away. We have plenty of depth, so I'm not worried about losing him, but I don't like the idea of cutting a player that has decent trade value on him. He is worth at least a 3rd or 4th round pick.

oh for sure, Rubin was worth a heck of alot more than a 3rd round pick. I would have traded him to Indy for Werner and a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Archived