THE BROWNS BOARD

Would you do this trade?

hish747

Check this out from a Jets website. Interesting scenario. Would you go for this trade?

http://thejetpress.com/2014/03/01/trade-scenario-jets-trade-get-sammy-watkins-nfl-draft/

Let’s have a little bit of fun as we look forward to the NFL draft this May.

We know how John Idzik feels about draft picks. They are the “lifeline” of a team that is building sustainable success. The more draft picks the better, as the Seahawks have shown in building their championship team. The Patriots taught the world the same thing.

With all that, it is not likely that John Idzik will move the team up too far on draft day.

However, what if Sammy Watkins is the exception to John Idzik’s rule? Could he be high enough on the Jets’ draft board to be worth a trade? And if so, could it be done for a reasonable price?

If you believe the reports during the Combine, the Jets had multiple meetings planned with Sammy Watkins. That is not typical of a team doing simple due diligence. A player is met with multiple times when the team wants to acquire that player. So clearly, the Jets are interested in Sammy Watkins.

Our own JETSerious explored this possibility several days ago. I took a look at the idea as well and had some ideas to make this possible, and not cripple the 2014 draft either.

The frame of reference is the trade value chart for draft picks, seen by clickinghere. This chart reflects the point value assigned to every draft pick, and it is what the teams use to determine the value of their picks, and therefore, the equity of proposed trades. It serves as the reference for this article.

The earliest Sammy Watkins seems to be going in the mock drafts is fourth, to theCleveland Browns. So, let’s look at that pick. The pick is worth 1,800 points, so the Jets would have to construct an offer that comes close to 1,800 draft points to make it worth it to the Browns.

First, the Jets would give their first round choice, the 18th overall, which is worth 900 points. Add their third round pick, the 80th overall choice, which is worth 190 points. So far, the Jets are offering(in this scenario) 1,090 draft value points.

Now, we make up the difference with the 2015 draft. The Jets would give the Browns their 2015 first round choice, and a conditional third rounder. What would the conditions be? If the Jets make the playoffs, they would add the third rounder, if not, they don’t. The value of the first round pick of a playoff team, per the chart, goes from 800-590, so if the Jets were in the 2014 playoffs, the pick would not likely be worth enough to equal the value of pick four. So, the third rounder would come in to balance things out.

This doesn’t cripple the Jets’ for 2014 either. Losing two picks would not do that, since the Jets are likely to have 12 picks as it stands right now, with four of them being compensatory, therefore not tradable. Leaving themselves with ten picks is not a lost cause.

So, the Jets could make this move, and not cripple the draft in either season. It’s not likely, knowing John Idzik as we do, but it’s possible. What do you guys think?

Fuck yes I would take this trade. Another third, pick at 18 and 26, another first for next year and possibly another third for next year..... This is the type of move great GMs salivate over. It's a terrible move on the part of the Jets, but for us it would be golden. picture this: we could nab a great MLB and WR/OL in the first and have the ammo next year to trade up and nab a guy like mariota. Plus another third for this incredibly deep draft would be fantastic. That makes three third round picks. We could effectively use one of this plus a fourth to trade back into. The second round and nab another great talent or just stay put abd grab three third round guys (which in this draft, if done right, can net us three impactful players a couple years down the road once they fully develop) and ride home from draft in compete bliss. I know I'm gonna hear from one of you douchers "dude we don't need that many fucking rookies" and I'm going to preempt you now and call you a fucking idiot. We DO need a bunch of rookies. We have holes everywhere and lack of depth in several areas. Young, driven players with talent are exactly what this team needs to get over the bottom of the barrel hump and become true perennial contenders.

I respectfully disagree, Gunner. Um, no- 18 is too far to move down IMHO. It costs you your first, second and next years first- (minimum) even then, I doubt the Browns would make that trade. Moving up 14 slots isn't that cheap, even with the rookie wage scale. We're looking for a super stud guy with our first pick, unless we really want to wait for next year- again.

#18 nets us Carr (maybe) and a second tier WR. #4 & #26 nets us one of the top 3 qbs, Clowney or Watkins- and a stud OG, the WR the Jets don't take, or one of the premier RBs.

I respectfully disagree, Gunner. Um, no- 18 is too far to move down IMHO. It costs you your first, second and next years first- (minimum) even then, I doubt the Browns would make that trade. Moving up 14 slots isn't that cheap, even with the rookie wage scale. We're looking for a super stud guy with our first pick, unless we really want to wait for next year- again.

#18 nets us Carr (maybe) and a second tier WR. #4 & #26 nets us one of the top 3 qbs, Clowney or Watkins- and a stud OG, the WR the Jets don't take, or one of the premier RBs.

Wrong. If you dont think that at least one or two top tier talents will fall to 18 then I don't know where your heads at. It happens every year. It's just a matter of timing and good scouting (actually knowing that the guy that's fallen has a good shot at being top tier).

Wrong. If you dont think that at least one or two top tier talents will fall to 18 then I don't know where your heads at. It happens every year. It's just a matter of timing and good scouting (actually knowing that the guy that's fallen has a good shot at being top tier).

Sure, that happens every year- but that takes skill as well as some luck. Taking a stud player @ #4 in this draft will take neither skill, nor luck. Or why would the Jets want Watkins that bad? We missed on AJ Green by one pick- who Watkins is compared to talent wise.

It's a very deep draft in wr's. The Jets don't have Mike Scumbardi

in their fo.

Nonsense. The Browns might trade with the Vikes, but they

need an elite difference maker with at least two of their first three picks.

Moving down just a bit lower is isn't all that risky, depending...

but down to 17 is just not a good gamble.

i would jump all over this because of the pick in 2015. jets are going to do shit this coming season.

moving down to 18 doesn't mean we have to stay there we have plenty of picks to move up and grab someone like evans for the offense or gilbert or dixon for our D backfield. and then we can grab mosely @26.

Depends on the mindset of our new coach and front office. The last couple guys weren't here that long... they may feel they need to start winning and improving now.

If we had am established coach that we knew would be sticking around this is probably a good trade. Sets us up to get a top QB next year in case Hoyer isn't good. Also the draft this year is super deep at WR. You could still get a stud at 18.

I say don't take the trade though.

No, we have a top 5 pick a chance to get a game changer, even if you pass on the QB you take Watkins there for yourself. There is no guarantee the Jets will suck enough next year to pay off. Take the QB or Watkined or Clowney or whoever, I would need a much better deal than that to dtop 14 spot.

First off fuck no!!!! I am so fucking sick of browns fans, owners, front office saying next year. Next year it's all we hear and why we are a laughing stock. Pettine said it best we're not just going to fill positions were going to get the best at positions. This is what they have to do. So the first pick we use should be for Sammy Watkins, not a qb.

Archived