THE BROWNS BOARD

other than QB rank the positions browns are needing

jeffinwv

Okay, assuming that the F.O. comes out and says: "We will not draft a QB this year, we are going to go with Hoyer, we think he has what it takes to be successful in the NFL, we just have to give him the weapons to have a chance and improve the defense."

These are the positions I think they need to most.

1) CB- Having a CB like Joe Haden on the roster is almost a wasted investment unless we find a way to shut down the opposite side of the field. If we are able to add a lockdown CB, that would in itself help Haden far more than anything else we could do to improve the team. That enables a guy like Skrine, who's best suited to play the nickel to move to his natural position where we'll get the most from all three players.

2) ILB- Releasing Jackson opened up a giant hole in the middle of the defense. It needs to find an anchor to attach itself to, an identifying Middle Linebacker, a Clay Matthews or a Patrick Willis would be preferred.

3) WR- Much like the CB position I mentioned earlier, when teams are able to double up on our only threat at WR(Josh Gordon) it limits our ability to sustain drives, as does dropped footballs. Subpar WR play can only get you so far even with a solid QB. WRs have to get open, separate and catch the ball. We need at least one more WR that can do this on a consistent basis.

4) OG- We have Joe T, Alex Mack and Schwartz, why does the line struggle so often opening running lanes and protecting the passer? I've got to believe that adding a quality OG would help solidify a line that should be in the top 5...

5) S- This position could change if we lose T.J. Ward to F.A. Pettine says that he doesn't use a traditional FS/SS Safety combination on the backside of the defense. Without T.J. it leaves only Gipson, whom I'm not all that sold on to hold down the Safety spots. We'll need another S with starter ability to be successful.

6) RB- We have like 5 runningbacks on the team but I would trade all of them for one that could do it all. We need to find an every-down back and then find a player to complement him and then cut the fat loose. We don't need five runningbacks.

7) FB- In addition to RB we need a FB, Obi is not a fullback. We saw what happened. It's not effective outside of third down. We need a traditional slobber-knocker to blow holes in the defense and allow our feature-back room to run. A guy like Prosch reminds me of Vickers a lot. His lead blocking for RB Tre Mason really help contribute to what Mason was able to accomplish.

8) TE- This wouldn't be to replace Jordan Cameron. It would be to replace the handful guys taking up roster spots at TE position that just aren't that good. We need another big TE that can run-block, pass-block, release off of blocks and catch the football when needed. Adding another TE will help to lengthen Jordan Cameron's career for us and help to remove the focus on him as well.

How can ILB not be #1 on everybodies list

^^This

I know there's people here who think we can be a top 10 defense with Tank Carder and Eugene something or other back there, but that's the result of heavy LSD use. ILB's have to be our #1 priority or that money we spent on OLB"s and down lineman means approx dick. What's the point for the OLB's to turn the runs back into the middle when you have guys there that might not start on some elite SEC teams.

I say me move Skrine to FS kinda like the Cards tried out witht he Honey Badger. Skrine is fast as hell and can stick some guys. It most likley wil not happen, just a thought. I just seen the cromarti for the jets was released, he would be a solid #2 db.

True. But we are negotiating with Robertson, and Tank Carder can play some. There will be two new big names at WR and two new big names at ILB ... I think you can hit on ILBs later in the draft though generally.

Z

True. But we are negotiating with Robertson, and Tank Carder can play some. There will be two new big names at WR and two new big names at ILB ... I think you can hit on ILBs later in the draft though generally.

Z

yeah but they both suck. DQ was doing both their jobs last year, well..Robertson that is. Did Carder ever get on the field aside from special teams? Isn't that the guy who sang ain't no faggot gonna make it to heaven on his banjo in the woods?

Z

The thing is though we have nobody at the position, so we can't sit back and hope we hit on somebody later in the draft. We have to go get him. WR is considered one of the deepest position's in this draft, it would be wiser to hope you can land one of them later in the draft. Considering we have one of the best receivers in the NFL already.

I'm hoping we get Shazier with the 2nd or 3rd pick....4.36 40 at 240lbs and the best vertical jump of any position at the combine...He's explosive and flies to the ball... somebody that can actually cover a RB on 3rd and 25

ILB is a gaping hole...I still think we gotta go QB, IMO they cant go anywhere without one...if they go with hoyer i sure hope hes the man

poetic G is on this thing....very good info...thanks man!

see that states it all. if hoyer can do it. well let's give a try before we bust on a #4 pick of some over-hyped QBs.

why not fill all the other holes and then hand the reigns over to a rookie that is a 'sure thing'?

it is all anopinion thing now, but I feel that if they go with hoyer we are looking at 6-10.

I think manziel at 4 best WR avail at 26 and fill all these other postions with the rest o da picks and I feel like they are trying to win now.

I may be wrong, but I think hes the best available QB to Cleveland as of now,and its a QB league

and besides if it doesn't work we get another top five pick next year!!! we get that with hoyer either way

it is all anopinion thing now, but I feel that if they go with hoyer we are looking at 6-10.

I think manziel at 4 best WR avail at 26 and fill all these other postions with the rest o da picks and I feel like they are trying to win now.

I may be wrong, but I think hes the best available QB to Cleveland as of now,and its a QB league

and besides if it doesn't work we get another top five pick next year!!! we get that with hoyer either way

wha wha what?

so you're saying pick a QB or stick with hoyer. so when the dice roll you have equal money on red and black?

That was my thoughts..... there might be other guys that are better but I love the kid from Michigan St. Max Bullough, he just screams beast to me, put him in the middle and let him fuck some bitches up!!

Some others have mentioned Shazier, I'd be cool with him also.

At this very moment in order from greatest to least:

Interior OL-we ain't doing shit until we patch up the interior of our o-line. Were not running between the tackles and the middle of the line is going to continue to blow up in our QBs face. This is our single greatest need aside from QB. Without a good group of competent beast men to man the trenches, the Browns are going no where.

ILB-now that DQ is gone we have a major hole here. We had a need there even with DQ (Robertson is not the answer). We need to sign a veteran tank (spikes please, he is young and a monster against the run, something we need help with) and draft a speedy sideline to sideline type athlete (shazier).

RB-I put RB this high because without a decent run game were going no where in the AFC North. As stated above, if we fix our number one need at the interior of the o-line then this need becomes easy to fill with a couple bodies. Personally I like Hyde (but im a OSU homer) and a couple others (Storm Johnson, Seastrunk).

CB-we absolutely need another solid guy opposite Haden and BS is not it. Skrine needs to be designated as a true slot CB. I say we either pick up a mid tier guy from FA or draft a guy in the bottom first or second (prefer drafting a guy, Haden can mold them into a badass then). I like Dennard and Jean-Baptiste.

WR(slot and no.2): at this point we have no legitimate no.2 and slot receivers. In order to maximize Gordon's production we need to fix this. I would like to pickup a slot in FA and draft our No.2 (I love Evans, would be cool with Watkins/Benjamin/Beckham Jr.).

Safety(if we lose ward): I really don't get you guys claiming we have such a huge need at free safety. Gipson did not play bad whatsoever, he's a slightly above league average FS who gets the job done. We have much bigger needs provided we keep ward. If we lose him however I agree we will need to out the roof back on our defense because without it were going to get burned over and over like we used to 3+ years ago (god that was horrible).

Other thoughts: regardless of your feelings about the quarterbacks in this draft, Qb is undeniably our single greatest need and our perpetual Achilles heel. One way or another we need to address this and give ourselves a good insurance policy at the position. This off-season is truely the greatest opportunity we have had in a long time to go from bottom of the barrel to true contenders. We have the appropriate building blocks and solid young talent and one of the best defensive line rotations in the NFL. If we can shore up our weaknesses and have some great coaching the future is bright. Lets just temper our expectations, take off our rose colored glasses, and prepare for some growing pains ahead.

Dynamite take GunnerGatsky............

spend lots of money trying to sign S Byrd from Buffalo, get OG Schwartz (brother of our right tackle). use all other money to extend contracts for all our good players next year (haden, mack, cameron, sheard, gordon.....etc), draft smartly and don't screw up, WR, LB and QB with first 3 picks any order.

also.............. aren't you my best friend????

Doc PB

Dynamite take GunnerGatsky............

spend lots of money trying to sign S Byrd from Buffalo, get OG Schwartz (brother of our right tackle). use all other money to extend contracts for all our good players next year (haden, mack, cameron, sheard, gordon.....etc), draft smartly and don't screw up, WR, LB and QB with first 3 picks any order.

also.............. aren't you my best friend????

Doc PB

Hahaha I may just be. I'm just a roughneck who believes in common sense and logical reasoning. Check your news sites gents the free agency flurry has officially began for the browns. Word is were getting around that were signing donte 'hitner" as well as pursuing 4 others (Byrd and Tate supposedly).

Archived