THE BROWNS BOARD

Gunnin for the HERE and NOW....

GuNNerGatSKi

Only a few hours into free agency, I am already a bit blown away by the moves we are making. In my opinion it demonstrates a furious desire by our new FO and coaching staff to put together a winning squad NOW built off of a feisty, violent defensive philosophy. The signings of Hitner and Dansby demonstrate this. Hitner is downright nasty at the SS position and he has superior cover skills to that of Ward. Dansby is coming off a stellar year and though up in years, plays with a ferocity at the ILB position and consistently puts himself in position to make a big play. I like it. I like it alot. Not only can these two guys give us ammo for a dominant defense now, they are picture perfect for grooming future draft picks at their respective positions. I'm excited again for the Browns immediate future for the first time in a very long time. Thoughts? Opinions?

i agree 100%. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!. and both the GM and HC are defensive minded. as i stated in another thread, they have filled 2 holes in the first 20 mins of FA as good as any team has ever done.

i'm hoping that we address both the CB and ILB once again in the draft (once again meaning they might take a swoosh at revis straight up when he gets cut tomorrow). i'd rather see gibson in a trade up in the draft.

for all those that say mcfadden will be better this year, then i say hoyer will be better this year. what say you now 1st pick QB mongrels?

I think this is more pettine than anyone else. Cleveland has proved many times over you cant come here and regurgitate the ol' "its gonna take awhile, we're rebuilding" routine and keep a job very long.

Agreed, Pettine and Farmer. I can visualize them having a very long meeting with Halsam about what was dysfunctionally wrong with the browns the past decade and a half. And I feel that the answer to that question is we were always always "building and rebuilding for tommorow" instead of going for the goddamn jugular now. The best teams in the NFL build dominant teams in the present through FA and trades and buy insurance and security for the future through the draft. I think were gunning for it right fucking now. I have a feeling this draft is going to blow the top off as well and many of us are going to be a bit shocked by their selections. I'm fucking pumped man and I'm annoying the misses with my football babble that she knows nothing about... I just hope I'm not getting to to excited.

Agreed, Pettine and Farmer. I can visualize them having a very long meeting with Halsam about what was dysfunctionally wrong with the browns the past decade and a half. And I feel that the answer to that question is we were always always "building and rebuilding for tommorow" instead of going for the goddamn jugular now. The best teams in the NFL build dominant teams in the present through FA and trades and buy insurance and security for the future through the draft. I think were gunning for it right fucking now. I have a feeling this draft is going to blow the top off as well and many of us are going to be a bit shocked by their selections. I'm fucking pumped man and I'm annoying the misses with my football babble that she knows nothing about... I just hope I'm not getting to to excited.

well if we didn't let ward and DQ walk we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. i think letting them go was all about the financial numbers and the production they could get from people that have played on championship level teams to come in here and add some leadership to our youngins.

Late stage FA's sure as fuck aren't going to take on any "grooming" tasks. The concept of player/mentor/leader is an NFL illusion. The league invents the feel good "leader" stories for pr. It all about self preservation for the vet--how many more hits can his body endure, what plays to take off. The economics of the league has forced the players to grab as much as they can in the shortest period possible without bothering with the multimillionaire 20's year old need to have his ego stroked when he is benched for avoiding hits.

The leagues continued rule evolution with a focus on cultivating increasing offensive stats is making it more risky for the aggressive secondary predator to lay the wood. The league fines for aggressive hits are becoming unreasonable leaving the mashers double guessing themselves on tackles. buzz kill

if you don't think a vet coming in and showing the locker rom how it's run on a WINNING team and having an affect on everybody.........doesn't mean they have to mentor anyone. people learn by seeing and learn what it takes to play on that level.

if you don't see that you smokin some good haze.

the FA that could come into Cleveland and, through his inspiration, will the youngest team in the league without any bona fide QB leadership/presence and a shady owner facing possible federal indictments to consistent competiveness hasn't been invented yet. hey man, I start getting pumped just like all of y'all but it's got to be tempered with the understanding that the Browns have not had a winning culture in a long, long time. is this the year of the brass ball monkey paving the way back the top of the AFC North? I sure fucking hope so.

well if we didn't let ward and DQ walk we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. i think letting them go was all about the financial numbers and the production they could get from people that have played on championship level teams to come in here and add some leadership to our youngins.

Tell it like it is Bitch!

I still would like some playmakers on offense so we do not have to rely on TE's being Fullbacks ......we need a starting RB and another WR outlet with Gordon ....oh and a QB would be nice :)

I guess with our moves so far we are looking to win most games 13-6 :)

Tell it like it is Bitch!

hey! the stooge is back!!

I still would like some playmakers on offense so we do not have to rely on TE's being Fullbacks ......we need a starting RB and another WR outlet with Gordon ....oh and a QB would be nice :)

I guess with our moves so far we are looking to win most games 13-6 :)

well there is this little thing called the draft that is a month and a half away. you don't think we'll address those positions of needs then?

I agree with u. I would love to have Ryan Shazier and Craig Robertson learning from Dansby. Loved DQ like non-other but he can't mentor the most important thing and that's how to and deal with winning.

I love Shazier's athleticism and speed, but he's an outside linebacker. Does his athleticism and speed translate to ILB of a 3-4? Plus, isn't he a little slight for ILB?

And I was never impressed with his tackling ability, or lack thereof. I'm a Buckeye fan, but in recent years, the defense as a whole lacked proper tackling technique, angles, etc. If he's drafted and sits behind a veteran for a couple years, learns the ropes, and gains some weight, then yeah maybe. But I'm just not sold on him.

Just my humble opinion.

I love Shazier's athleticism and speed, but he's an outside linebacker. Does his athleticism and speed translate to ILB of a 3-4? Plus, isn't he a little slight for ILB?

And I was never impressed with his tackling ability, or lack thereof. I'm a Buckeye fan, but in recent years, the defense as a whole lacked proper tackling technique, angles, etc. If he's drafted and sits behind a veteran for a couple years, learns the ropes, and gains some weight, then yeah maybe. But I'm just not sold on him.

Just my humble opinion.

He did show up for the combine 20 lbs heavier (all muscle). 6'1" and 235lbs with room to fill out. Being as heavy as he is and still being able to have a calvin Johnson type vertical is very impressive and rarely ever seen. We need a guy to challenge rbs coming out of the backfield and wr speed across the field. Plus having the option of working in a 3/4 and a 4/3 has become ideal in this town.

He did show up for the combine 20 lbs heavier (all muscle). 6'1" and 235lbs with room to fill out. Being as heavy as he is and still being able to have a calvin Johnson type vertical is very impressive and rarely ever seen. We need a guy to challenge rbs coming out of the backfield and wr speed across the field. Plus having the option of working in a 3/4 and a 4/3 has become ideal in this town.

I didn't realize he packed on that much weight. I read that he ran like a 4.38. If that's true, that's pretty sick.

In the conversation of competing in the "now", what would my fellow Browns fans consider a successful 2014-15 season?

10-6 and Playoffs,

can it happen, its very well possible.

Will it happen, we will see!

Also, I think with Weeden not starting at QB it gives the fans more hope.

One of the very first things Mike Pettine said when hired,

"QB is the most important position in football"

YOU HAVE NO IDEA what the Browns will do in the draft, nor do I.

But don't be upset or disappointed if and when we draft a QB bro.

I can't stand the thought of drafting a qb at 4. But if the browns do I will root as hard as any fan. Does that make a difference? One fan wants a qb another doesn't does that give either fan more reason to gloat???

10-6 and Playoffs,

can it happen, its very well possible.

Will it happen, we will see!

Also, I think with Weeden not starting at QB it gives the fans more hope.

I'm just going to throw 8-8 out there. Not amazing, but I don't expect dominance from a team that requires as many competitive pieces as the Browns do, complete with new management and coaching staff.

It may be more simple than a decent record as well. Just to be able to establish themselves as one of the top defensive teams in the NFL would be a distinct step forward. The question of team identity being answered and it being something to be proud of.

I'm just going to throw 8-8 out there. Not amazing, but I don't expect dominance from a team that requires as many competitive pieces as the Browns do, complete with new management and coaching staff.

It may be more simple than a decent record as well. Just to be able to establish themselves as one of the top defensive teams in the NFL would be a distinct step forward. The question of team identity being answered and it being something to be proud of.

Identity. That's the word I have been gunning (haha) for. We havent had an identity in a long long time. If I could handpick an identity for the browns to have it would be that of a team built on a smashmouth defense that challenges the offense for every inch of the field. I believe that begins with a lockdown group of players in the secondary and one or two guys who can lay the wood on opposing receivers. I get that the recent rule changes regarding hitting in the NFL discourage this but having a player like Hitner who can wipe the floor with any given receiver is not to be underestimated. When a receiver gets his clock cleaned real good it can and often does alter their mentality and physicality going across the middle and putting their bodies on the line to make a catch for the course of the game and even their career in some cases. I love that. Take the drive and desire out of an opposing teams receivers and running backs by making them pay over and over again and by disrupting the flow of the passing game with fantastic corner play is the absolute key to succesful defense in the modern NFL. One look at Seattle says it all. Big, tough secondary that gives up very little to opposing offenses and consistently makes receivers and quarterbacks pay for mistakes and risky catches and plays.

Archived