THE BROWNS BOARD

Clevedog Mock Draft 1.0 - In Hoyer We Trust

Clevedog

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to this site, though I feel like I know a lot of you as I've been reading the posts here for quite a long time. I wanted to share with you my first Browns' Mock draft! Hope you all enjoy, please leave your thoughts, took a lot of time to put together so I appreciate you reading in advance. As always, GO BROWNS! Haven't been this excited going in to a season since 1999.

Cleveland, Misanthropy and Dogs Blog:

http://clevedog.blogspot.com/2014/03/mock-draft-10.html

im sure farmer is in the same camp as you if he wasn't even present at Bridgewater's combine (oh sorry he was there but just to talk to some late round ILB)

Browns GM not doing his homework. . . again.

im sure farmer is in the same camp as you if he wasn't even present at Bridgewater's combine (oh sorry he was there but just to talk to some late round ILB)

Browns GM not doing his homework. . . again.

He's doing a great job and has forgotten more about football, just today, then you know.

There ya go, Clevedog... now as to your scenario...

I'm down with Hoyer, but if Bortles is there at 4, I just might have to pull that trigger. Otherwise it's Sammy or K-Mack at 4 for me... possibly after a trade down. If a 2105 #1 is offered as past of a trade down package, I'd have to think really hard about it.

I've been banging the Watkins drum pretty consistently here for a while and he is a can't miss stud, but...

The gap between Sammy and the next best 2 or 3 WRs is not as wide as the gap I see between Mack and the next best OLB, Barr.

While it's an interesting take, I am not feeling Mathews at OG. I do not think he's strong enough for the interior and he may be a tad too long. I am sure he is the best OT in the draft.

Hardly feeling Shazier at all let alone as a 1st Rounder. Obviously much of what we do at 26 depends upon what we did at 4, but I think late first is where we look to grab our OG. Xavier is my OG, but nabbing him will likely require a trade-up to the late-teens. It is possible that Yankey will be the late first OG option, but I'd hope to see him at #35 if Xavier is not already ours.

While it's around where he's expected to go, I am also not on board with Roby at #35. In part this is because I have a sleeper tagged for round 5 (or so). IMO one great CB will emerge from this draft, Justin Gilbert, and the gap after him is wide. Desir is a real reach as an alternative at 35.

Quite honestly the rest of what you wrote strikes me as just reaching further and further into fantasyland, e.g., Hyde is nowhere close to a first rounder and there are two or three better picks than Hill with out any baggage...

I understand that the first two days of the draft where most of the fun (and arguing) is, but I have found that working the latter rounds is where I have developed whatever understanding of the draft and the value of those first two days that I may have.

How much understanding do I have? Depends on who you ask... :)

But hey, mocks are fun... and your page looks good.

He's doing a great job and has forgotten more about football, just today, then you know.

Does that mean you actually understood what Soju was saying?

Thanks a lot Tour!! Agreed that Matthews is the best OT in the draft but I don't think he's too weak or long for the interior line - especially not with a Shanahan zone blocking scheme where you need the athletic linemen that can pull and trap well. No chance Xavier is there at 26 and I am against trading up because I think you can find value at many places (and I think we can compete immediately this year if Hoyer is healthy). Also, I'm not new to the Hoyer bandwagon, I wanted him two years ago when he was first released and I was so pumped when Lombardi brought him to Cleveland (maybe the only good move that regime made).

As for Hyde - he will go late first/early second I'm fairly sure but I definitely agree that Hill is a bit of a gamble - but I don't think there are many RB better than him that would be available that late. He's going to absolutely dominate if his baggage doesn't destroy him.

I've been up and down on Roby. Sometimes I think he's very overrated and other times I think a lot of his flaws were scheme-related. Right now I'm in the boat of scheme-related. He is a freak athlete and players taller stronger and heavier than he is. He's going to be more physically talented and stronger than a Haden, though whether he has the ability to stop gambling as much will remain to be seen - that's going to be on his coaches in the NFL. Our other OSU product, Shazier, is definitely going to be a huge playmaker if he gets converted to ILB (which I think is the only position he can play in the NFL).

Totally agree about the late rounds but I didn't want to bore readers with my late round thoughts, but that is where the really good management regimes find quality roster fillers and or solid starters. The good NFL regimes are able to consistently find picks after round 3 and that's what separates the good teams from the bad - not wasting picks.

The only thing I really disagree about is Bortles. I don't think there is a single good NFL first-round caliber QB in this draft. The only reason these guys are getting drafted is because some teams have almost no choice but to gamble on them. I think Carr is the best QB in the draft but that the Browns are safe enough with Hoyer not to spend the 4th pick on him and he won't be on the board come 26th pick. Otherwise I wouldn't mind him as a developmental player/insurance for Hoyer.

Also very much agree on the gap between Watkins and the other WR - and Watkins and Bortles may both be off the board when we pick. Exciting stuff, we shall see! I'll put out a 2.0 in a week or two as Free Agency has carried on a bit more.

Thanks again for reading and for your kind words about the site! Much appreciated.

Thanks a lot Tour!! Agreed that Matthews is the best OT in the draft but I don't think he's too weak or long for the interior line - especially not with a Shanahan zone blocking scheme where you need the athletic linemen that can pull and trap well. No chance Xavier is there at 26 and I am against trading up because I think you can find value at many places (and I think we can compete immediately this year if Hoyer is healthy). Also, I'm not new to the Hoyer bandwagon, I wanted him two years ago when he was first released and I was so pumped when Lombardi brought him to Cleveland (maybe the only good move that regime made).

As for Hyde - he will go late first/early second I'm fairly sure but I definitely agree that Hill is a bit of a gamble - but I don't think there are many RB better than him that would be available that late. He's going to absolutely dominate if his baggage doesn't destroy him.

I've been up and down on Roby. Sometimes I think he's very overrated and other times I think a lot of his flaws were scheme-related. Right now I'm in the boat of scheme-related. He is a freak athlete and players taller stronger and heavier than he is. He's going to be more physically talented and stronger than a Haden, though whether he has the ability to stop gambling as much will remain to be seen - that's going to be on his coaches in the NFL. Our other OSU product, Shazier, is definitely going to be a huge playmaker if he gets converted to ILB (which I think is the only position he can play in the NFL).

Totally agree about the late rounds but I didn't want to bore readers with my late round thoughts, but that is where the really good management regimes find quality roster fillers and or solid starters. The good NFL regimes are able to consistently find picks after round 3 and that's what separates the good teams from the bad - not wasting picks.

The only thing I really disagree about is Bortles. I don't think there is a single good NFL first-round caliber QB in this draft. The only reason these guys are getting drafted is because some teams have almost no choice but to gamble on them. I think Carr is the best QB in the draft but that the Browns are safe enough with Hoyer not to spend the 4th pick on him and he won't be on the board come 26th pick. Otherwise I wouldn't mind him as a developmental player/insurance for Hoyer.

Also very much agree on the gap between Watkins and the other WR - and Watkins and Bortles may both be off the board when we pick. Exciting stuff, we shall see! I'll put out a 2.0 in a week or two as Free Agency has carried on a bit more.

Thanks again for reading and for your kind words about the site! Much appreciated.

Completely disagree with the whole Carr thing. I would put him as the fourth best QB in the draft with most others, and would bet my left testical he is there at 26. Could be there late second

I don't see the point of making an OSU homer draft, and that is coming from a very devote OSU fan. Honestly anyone who has watched any game the past two seasons knows this.

1. Shazier is ALWAYS HURT. He is never seriously injured. He always starts games. But every other game he plays he has to miss the 3rd or 4th quarter due to some kind of injury he sustained. On another note, he is NOT a MLB in ANY scheme. He should be a strict OLB in a 4-3, period. He isn't a run stuffer like you claim. He uses his speed to run down guys from the sides and behind. If a lineman gets his hands on Shazier in the run game, Shazier is done for the play unless he chases the guy down 20 yards down field. I wouldn't select him before the end of the 2nd round and thats only for teams running a 4-3.

2. Roby isn't that great. He is a lightning bolt for sure, he makes some big plays, but he lets just as many big plays get made. He got embarassed this year in the Big 10. Not the SEC or Pac 10 who normally produce the top WR talent, but the Big 10. Who was the last 1st round WR from the Big 10 in the past 5 years? Have we had one? Robinson is going to be the first Big 10 WR who has a chance of being selected in the first round in a long time. He is athletically gifted, but he relies on it too much. Like Shazier I don't see him being selected before the end of the 2nd round. If he is there for us in the third I would be more than happy with the pick. I think your back up selection of Desir is a much better option in the beginning of the second round. I put way more stock into production and game film than silly numbers while in shorts. With products that come from small schools and lower divisions, I rely more on the East West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl. Desir shined at the senior bowl against top Div 1 competition.

Now your first pick back ups. Anyone who suggests an offensive linemen is an idiot. At some point we need to start putting money else where. We have the highest paid and most talented LT in the game of football and next season we are going to have one of the best and highest paid Centers in the game of football. Not to mention an early 2nd round pick playing RT. We want to put another 1st round pick on the line. At some point we are going to need to start just grabbing mid to late round linemen and develop then like the successful teams do. Ya most teams have 1, MAYBE 2 first round picks invested in their lines, but 3? Nope. You said better to have your guy two years early, I say better to have him right on time. When Thomas is going to be let go/traded/retire, that is when we draft our future LT. You don't make this move unless you think your gonna trade Thomas this season or next. If the front office is envisioning a 2015-2016 without Thomas, ok, but why now. It makes no sense.

I don't see the point of making an OSU homer draft, and that is coming from a very devote OSU fan. Honestly anyone who has watched any game the past two seasons knows this.

1. Shazier is ALWAYS HURT. He is never seriously injured. He always starts games. But every other game he plays he has to miss the 3rd or 4th quarter due to some kind of injury he sustained. On another note, he is NOT a MLB in ANY scheme. He should be a strict OLB in a 4-3, period. He isn't a run stuffer like you claim. He uses his speed to run down guys from the sides and behind. If a lineman gets his hands on Shazier in the run game, Shazier is done for the play unless he chases the guy down 20 yards down field. I wouldn't select him before the end of the 2nd round and thats only for teams running a 4-3.

2. Roby isn't that great. He is a lightning bolt for sure, he makes some big plays, but he lets just as many big plays get made. He got embarassed this year in the Big 10. Not the SEC or Pac 10 who normally produce the top WR talent, but the Big 10. Who was the last 1st round WR from the Big 10 in the past 5 years? Have we had one? Robinson is going to be the first Big 10 WR who has a chance of being selected in the first round in a long time. He is athletically gifted, but he relies on it too much. Like Shazier I don't see him being selected before the end of the 2nd round. If he is there for us in the third I would be more than happy with the pick. I think your back up selection of Desir is a much better option in the beginning of the second round. I put way more stock into production and game film than silly numbers while in shorts. With products that come from small schools and lower divisions, I rely more on the East West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl. Desir shined at the senior bowl against top Div 1 competition.

Now your first pick back ups. Anyone who suggests an offensive linemen is an idiot. At some point we need to start putting money else where. We have the highest paid and most talented LT in the game of football and next season we are going to have one of the best and highest paid Centers in the game of football. Not to mention an early 2nd round pick playing RT. We want to put another 1st round pick on the line. At some point we are going to need to start just grabbing mid to late round linemen and develop then like the successful teams do. Ya most teams have 1, MAYBE 2 first round picks invested in their lines, but 3? Nope. You said better to have your guy two years early, I say better to have him right on time. When Thomas is going to be let go/traded/retire, that is when we draft our future LT. You don't make this move unless you think your gonna trade Thomas this season or next. If the front office is envisioning a 2015-2016 without Thomas, ok, but why now. It makes no sense.

Throw me in with the idiots then. There is no reason we would be idiots to draft Robinson or Matthews at 4. I like some of the sexier picks like Watkins and would be hard pressed to pass on him but if he is gone and one of these two are there Id take them in a heartbeat.

A little to much home town love for me but nice write up. Please update the blog a little more frequently, some nice reads there.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate that! I'm going to be posting at least one, hopefully 2 articles per week. Trying to get my spring training analysis done by tomorrow or Wednesday for the Tribe. After that back to the Brownies - if you have something you'd like to read hit me up!

No need for name calling, but ya, I guess throw me in with the idiots too. Thomas is not nearly as dominant as you're making him out to be, and even if he was, this is still not an awful pick - you can re-arrange the cap hit in the offseason by restructuring Thomas' deal or, hopefully not, but trading or releasing him depending how he does this year. Assuming Hoyer does well we'll be owing him a huge contract so this cap space work will be forced anyway. Roby's problems are, in my opinion, mostly from the scheme they ran, as I wrote. I believe he'd be much more effective with good coaching, which he will get on the Browns. He's a freak athlete, as is Shazier, and I think they'll both have good careers in the NFL. Shazier is obviously a more sure bet, hence why he's going to be picked higher.

As for the preparation for Thomas leaving being too early...Shanahan LOVES versatile line and moves linemen often. All of the guys we have now, except Thomas and Mack, have and can currently play multiple positions on the line. That's critical not only from a depth perspective but from heavy iso formations or pull blocking or any of that. On top of that you get the depth and the insurance while solidifying your line and getting two thousand yard rushers or close to it and making the QBs job infinitely easier.

Hyde is the only one I'd touch, but not after signing Tate.

Agreed, but if he were to fall a round or two, then I wouldn't mind him.

No need for name calling, but ya, I guess throw me in with the idiots too. Thomas is not nearly as dominant as you're making him out to be, and even if he was, this is still not an awful pick - you can re-arrange the cap hit in the offseason by restructuring Thomas' deal or, hopefully not, but trading or releasing him depending how he does this year. Assuming Hoyer does well we'll be owing him a huge contract so this cap space work will be forced anyway. Roby's problems are, in my opinion, mostly from the scheme they ran, as I wrote. I believe he'd be much more effective with good coaching, which he will get on the Browns. He's a freak athlete, as is Shazier, and I think they'll both have good careers in the NFL. Shazier is obviously a more sure bet, hence why he's going to be picked higher.

As for the preparation for Thomas leaving being too early...Shanahan LOVES versatile line and moves linemen often. All of the guys we have now, except Thomas and Mack, have and can currently play multiple positions on the line. That's critical not only from a depth perspective but from heavy iso formations or pull blocking or any of that. On top of that you get the depth and the insurance while solidifying your line and getting two thousand yard rushers or close to it and making the QBs job infinitely easier.

No name calling- but I agree with Harry. It's about a 99.9% certainty the Browns will not draft Robinson, or any other O-lineman at #4. For the Browns, it's a flat out luxury pick they can ill afford to make. I'll grant you Thomas had a slight off year, but that's hardly a good enough reason to go shopping for a replacement in this draft.

As to versatility- at least regarding your left tackle- um, no. Start with Thomas, then Clady, Gross, and any of the other stud LTs and please tell me how "versatile" they are. They play LT for a reason- they have the best skill set for preventing your quarterback from getting killed.

PS, I'm a big OSU homer too, and again I agree with Harry's opinion of the current OSU crop- and I'm siding with Mike H- I liked the idea of Carlos Hyde for the Browns- until we picked up Ben Tate.

Im a Buckeye fan who will gladly pass on all Buckeyes in this class.

Agree... But while most I feel are overrated, the interest rise in Mewhort has been surprising and warranted.

No name calling- but I agree with Harry.

PS, I'm a big OSU homer too, and again I agree with Harry's opinion of the current OSU crop- and I'm siding with Mike H- I liked the idea of Carlos Hyde for the Browns- until we picked up Ben Tate.

1. Relatively speaking "idiot" is a term of endearment around here.

2. While Hyde seems to be more agile than I originally thought, I still have him as the 3rd RB in draft behind Mason and now Sankey.

Agree... But while most I feel are overrated, the interest rise in Mewhort has been surprising and warrnated.

1. Relatively speaking "idiot" is a term of endearment around here.

2. While Hyde seems to be more agile than I originally thought, I still have him as the 3rd RB in draft behind Mason and now Sankey.

Interesting thing- Mel the Hair touted Kenny Guiton as a late round\developmental prospect. Doubt the Browns will be interested, but someone probably will.

So no one else would want Roby or Shazier at 35 if available? I damn sure would

I'd take Roby in the 3rd, and we don't need Shazier. As Harry mentioned, always finds a way to get himself dinged, and if he projects as a 4-3 OLB we already have Mingo who's bigger and for all practical purposes just as fast.

I saw that as well...

I thought the surprise of the segment was that Mel and Todd are about the same height. For some reason I thought Mel was taller.

I'd take Roby in the 3rd, and we don't need Shazier. As Harry mentioned, always finds a way to get himself dinged, and if he projects as a 4-3 OLB we already have Mingo who's bigger and for all practical purposes just as fast.

I've already stated I have him playing ILB not OLB.

As for Guitton that's an interesting thought... He has good passing instinct and touch and is somewhat mobile. Would be a very good project QB for someone.

I've already stated I have him playing ILB not OLB.

As for Guitton that's an interesting thought... He has good passing instinct and touch and is somewhat mobile. Would be a very good project QB for someone.

As to moving Shazier inside- his biggest asset his his speed- which somewhat would get negated moving him inside. Is he big enough and strong enough to take the punishment he'd get as an ILB? You have OGs firing out on every running play with their target being the ILB. I don't dislike Shazier, MHO is he's probably not on the Browns defensive draft board, especially not at picks 2-3. A lot will depend what the Browns do with the first two picks.

Pettine made comments this morning indicating that a LB is very much on the board for Browns and OLB are substantially larger than OLB so that's where Shazier will play.

Pettine did say he wants to upgrade team speed- if that's the case Shazier is certainly in play.

Only place I'd like Shazier less than at OLB would be Shazier at ILB...

OK, maybe I'd like him even less at QB...

But seriously, Farmtine (Petmer?) just got rid of a fast, undersized ILB and brought in a bigger replacement.

I'll take Borland.

Archived