THE BROWNS BOARD

Captain America Winter Soldier Review

Captain America The Winter Soldier

Disney

PG 13 136 min

Where to begin... You probably all know that I rarely read Marvel Comics when I was young. Captain America was born as a pseudo Superman and came to popularity in the heat of American patriotism in 1941. Through the magic of comic book science the super soldier has been resurrected in modern days to keep the world safe from bad guys who, like their Nazi predecessors, wish to enslave the world.

These particular bad guys are part of an evil organization called HYDRA that follow in the footsteps of other evil organizations you might recall; THRUSH, SPECTRE, and KAOS. Captain America Nick Fury and some other super guys have their own gang known as SHIELD, kind of a Justice League of America rip off whose mission it is to, well, stop the bad guys.

In this film the stalwart members of SHIELD are shocked to find that their organization has been infiltrated and their leader Nick Fury assassinated! Fury's last words to Captain America are don't trust anybody!

So the next two hours or so Captain America, Black Widow and The Falcon trying to figure out who the rat may be and prevent the evil masterminds from, wait for it, blowing up a big portion of the world. unfortunately the 99 of the audience that isn't brain dead already knows who the traitor is so there's not even that little bit of suspense going on.

One thing that is happening, just to spice things up, is a super villain they call the Winter Soldier. He, of course wears black and has a little face mask not unlike Bane from the Batman flick. . Then lo and behold he turns out to be... Well you'll see. There are an awful lot of fight scenes and plenty of explosions and space ship battles but not really much else. Maybe if the bad guys were more evil as opposed to just generic megalomaniacs and if the Captain and his pals had a more personal interest in this battle it may have been more fun.

But… they weren’t, they didn’t and it wasn’t.

C

WSS

I know the lame identity of the winter soldier in the comic book. I have no.further interest in comic book movies. They've gotten so bad and generic. Blah blah blah, I don't care, blue energy flying around, Robert Downey Jr cameo and queue up the next one.

Yes, well, at the end of this movie and also at the end of the recent Thor movie, just when these bad guys get their's, another possibly even eviller (is that a word?) group is hinted at.

And so it goes.

Though, there is one thing you must keep in mind: Captain America: Winter Soldier just made like 96 million in it first week, which I think is the largest non-summer, non-Christmas opening gross in history.

So many more will keep coming from your friends at Marvel.

(I don't know if their rival: DC has new movies in the works or not. Maybe Steve can tell us)

I think Marvel Comics fans are probably younger, therefore more apt to go to the movies, than DC Comics fans.

Marvel also has more current style characters, even though most of them are ripoffs of DC characters.

Also the generation gap means that the marvel guys have moved into the air tight hero age. Not so much with the DC guys there main thing was catching guys that robbed banks and shit.

Or fighting monsters and goons.

I don't doubt they are working on another Superman as we speak. And Batman is always money in the bank.

WSS

I think Marvel Comics fans are probably younger, therefore more apt to go to the movies, than DC Comics fans.

Marvel also has more current style characters, even though most of them are ripoffs of DC characters.

Also the generation gap means that the marvel guys have moved into the air tight hero age. Not so much with the DC guys there main thing was catching guys that robbed banks and shit.

Or fighting monsters and goons.

I don't doubt they are working on another Superman as we speak. And Batman is always money in the bank.

WSS

I completely disagree that marvel characters are rip offs of dc. Back that statement up.

Superman is lame and has always been lame. Dc has batman, probably the most accessible and iconic character of all time. After batman most dc characters are pure cheese. There is no counterpart to the x-men or spider man, marvels franchise players.

Dc's greatness lives in the vertigo line of books

I would say that Captain America and Spiderman we're both inspired by their predecessor in Superman. I would say shield is just about a direct imitation of Justice League of America I would say the x-men came just a few years after the very similar Legion of Super Heroes. You might think that Herman's Hermits Freddie and the dreamers the Dave Clark Five etc. werent in response to the huge success of the Beatles... But I'd say you were wrong.

since then Marvel has come up with some interesting characters all from the branches of the Superman tree. I'm not saying they suck I'm just saying that they are by and large derivative.

How the fuck is spider man derivitive of super man? They both wear red and blue? The powers are nothing alike, the secret identities are nothing alike except that they work at newspapers.How is shield, a spy network anything.like the justice league? There's more than one guy? Same for the legion of super heroes. X men are revolutionary in that theyre the first and thus far only group of super heroes that the public has been totally racist against. Am I missing something or were there routinely people throwing bottles and batteries at the legion? I don't understand where you are getting.these comparisons but I disagree with all of them. You could say the avengers were a rip off of the jla. I could see that, but the xmen? No.

Marvel did a fantastic job in the sixties of creating characters that resonated with people. They could see themselves as spider man and Cyclops. Not so much with superman. Nobody.can identify with superman. He's just too powerful.

How the fuck is spider man derivitive of super man? They both wear red and blue? The powers are nothing alike, the secret identities are nothing alike except that they work at newspapers.How is shield, a spy network anything.like the justice league? There's more than one guy? Same for the legion of super heroes. X men are revolutionary in that theyre the first and thus far only group of super heroes that the public has been totally racist against. Am I missing something or were there routinely people throwing bottles and batteries at the legion? I don't understand where you are getting.these comparisons but I disagree with all of them. You could say the avengers were a rip off of the jla. I could see that, but the xmen? No.

Marvel did a fantastic job in the sixties of creating characters that resonated with people. They could see themselves as spider man and Cyclops. Not so much with superman. Nobody.can identify with superman. He's just too powerful.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what Steve is saying, the DC guys all preceded the Marvel guys. So, yea, they probably are derivative.

By your way of thinking one could arguethat the "Heroes" TV show would not have been derivative of the X-Men, because, after all, they were not called "mutants" and some of them had different powers than the X-Men.

Of course, such an argument would be silly.

I could say: X-men had no rapid cell regerneration the way Claire Bennet had. None of them were a cheerleader.

Or: No XMan could fly like Nathan Petrelli.

Or: No Xman had the adaptive mimicry of other superpowers that Sylar had

And no Xman could do space time manipulation the way Hiro Nakamura could.

But, of course, we all know that the Heroes were derivative. But, despite that, some of us may actually like the derivative over the original.

Duh Yes Captain Marvel was a rip off of Superman.

A hero in colorful tights with a secret identity that has amazing powers, no matter what they might be is probably patterned after the extremely successful Superman model. Live with it. That's not saying that Spiderman sucks it is merely stating a fact.

As a matter of fact it doesn't mean that any other heroes are better or worse than Superman it just is what it is.

I also agree with you about Superman's weakness being his seemingly unlimited power. It's hard to get a story to evoke a lot of empathy with a guy that can't be hurt.

Remember he didn't start that way he could jump high, had heat an x ray vision which came later and was hard to knock on his ass. As the powers evolved he came to be almost invincible. Conversely Batman is just a guy.

In the movies he seems almost indestructible.

But none of that gets around the fact that he was the original and he is the one being imitated.

And yes spider powers are exactly the same as superpowers. BFD.

Bw3 and Paninis are both extremely successful change of restaurants yet they are still be holding to Frank and Teresa Anchor bar in Buffalo and Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh.

No their business model is not exactly the same but it's pretty obvious for the idea sprang from.

WSS

Sure, lots of things are derivative....and right, that does not make them bad or second rate.

Hell, Battlestar Galactica is derivative of Noah and the Ark, no?

Good point.

Also after the huge success of James Bond how many dozens of other spy movies came out?

WSS

Who'd have thought that Westside Steve is totally derivative of Robert Johnson?

well, Robert Johnson would be a pretty stupid comparison but I have never claimed to be a seminal figure in rock music.

I am most certainly a derivative, as I did not invent the genre. Anyway sorry it bums you out so badly. If you think that Stanley independently thought of a super guy with superpowers doing heroic things wearing a pair of tights and had never even heard of Superman great!

By your logic you'd be derivative of anyone who's ever played a guitar. I don't buy your logic. That's all.

Probably true. I started my first band in the 8th grade. We brushed our hair down had two guitars a bass player and drummer. I'd say we were derivative of the Beatles. You would call me an idiot if I said we weren't.

WSS

Re derivation: I keep 3 non legal reference books in my library: A Bible, the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, and the Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Every book, movie, TV Show etc. etc. is somehow derived from one of those sources IMO.

all i know is marvel better step up their game. the last spiderman was doo doo and this new one coming out looks worse. the last wolverine was decent but all the xmen movies have totally blown.

all comic book movies are getting tiresome. i like man of steel, but really how many remakes of an original are these guys going to do?

i'd rather see an animated adult version of a graphic novel where people get obliterated as they should by these super beings. enough of this family/children safe versions. i mean the marionettes in team america blasted more caps in people asses than these guys who if they take their sunglasses off would turn you into a bucket of glop.

and if you're gonna do another xmen movie can we see some more of the baddest ass character they had: colossus?

btw stan lee. just cuz you founded marvel doesn't mean you have to appear in a cameo in every friggin movie.

all i know is marvel better step up their game. the last spiderman was doo doo and this new one coming out looks worse. the last wolverine was decent but all the xmen movies have totally blown.

all comic book movies are getting tiresome. i like man of steel, but really how many remakes of an original are these guys going to do?

i'd rather see an animated adult version of a graphic novel where people get obliterated as they should by these super beings. enough of this family/children safe versions. i mean the marionettes in team america blasted more caps in people asses than these guys who if they take their sunglasses off would turn you into a bucket of glop.

and if you're gonna do another xmen movie can we see some more of the baddest ass character they had: colossus?

btw stan lee. just cuz you founded marvel doesn't mean you have to appear in a cameo in every friggin movie.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are making a show on the comic series "Preacher" to air on AMC. Pretty excited about that.

not an avid comic book or graphic novel reader or collector BUT i do appreciate the artwork and the writing/creativeness.

my friend turned me on to sandman years ago and although i really didn't understand it (kinda like reading weave world by clive barker) it was very compelling. heard they are going to try and do something with that in the near future.

didn't know preacher was a comedy?

i think i perused a couple of issues years back and thought it was pretty dark.

Haha its not. Theyre just producing and writing, and they promise to do it right. Theyre big fans of the series, so theyre putting tons of pressure on themselves to get it right. And Gipper the Goldberg/Rogen combo has owned the last 10 years in the comedy genre imo

Haha its not. Theyre just producing and writing, and they promise to do it right. Theyre big fans of the series, so theyre putting tons of pressure on themselves to get it right. And Gipper the Goldberg/Rogen combo has owned the last 10 years in the comedy genre imo

I have yet to see one thing which Rogen has been in that has been funny. Now, maybe as a producer of shows acted by others he has done well.....but nothing he has appeared in has ever made me hardly even chuckle one little bit.

Its not? How do you explain Starr, arseface,.billy bob, lori, and the "messiah" then? There is plenty of comedy in preacher

Archived