Roy.E.Munson

What to Do With the RB Position?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Say good bye to Jamal Lewis and Start Harrison
    • Say Goodbye to JL and Draft a RB
    • Say Goodbye to JL and Sign a RB through FA
    • Keep JL and Simply give Harrison more Carries
    • Keep Harrison... Ditch JL... And let Harrison split carries with the newbie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playground, you've posted this clip eight times. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns.

and with your reply and quote, that makes it nine!

Sorry dude, but sometimes ppl still dont bother with Jennings, sorry man, gotta promote the beast

Oh, and the browns were present at his pro day when he ran in the mid to low 4.4's

At 135lbs couple with a low 4.4 makes a train... a maglev train. Thats his new nickname, Maglev

Guest Masters
Harrison is not afraid of contact, he takes on bigger LB most of the time and breaks their tackles. The kid is special, it's one of phils better draft picks. The kid can carry the ball 15 times a game and be A-ok.

He did average 27 carries a game his senior year at WSU. That worked out to 1,900 yards, 6.2 ypc, and 16TDs, in 11 games.

Guest Masters
Sorry dude, but sometimes ppl still dont bother with Jennings, sorry man, gotta promote the beast

Probably because you have posted that clip that many times, started threads about him, and pimped him adnasium. Just like Rey.

Guest Masters
And that is very impressive

It was. Especially when you consider Reggie Bush didn't put up numbers like that the same season. Also Harrison put up big numbers against USC

Harrison is the type of back that benefits from getting limited carries. I think his yards per carry will significantly decrease, at a rate much faster than bigger, stronger, between the tackles types of backs, if he gets 20 carries. His maximum value is being used 8-14 plays a game, so that he can keep his suprise element and defenses aren't thoroughly prepared for him.

If he gets any more plays than that per game and defenses base a large part of their scouting report on him, I think you'll see a drastic reduction in yards per play and/or carry and quite possibly a very beat up Harrison.

Harrison is the same height and 10 lbs less than Deangelo Williams. Williams average about 17 carries a game.

Harrison is capable of the same.

At 5'8" and 200 lbs Barry Sanders was one the greatest NFL backs of all time. This size theory doesn't sell for me. The thing that matters is a line that blocks for him.

Keep Lewis and go after a back next year

Guest Masters

When at the pro level has Harrison been asked to run between the tackles either? It's a little hard to say he can't, when he hasn't been given the opportunity.

D. Williams covered already

Portis is 5-11 223lbs

T. Jones 5-10 215lbs

S. Slaton 5-9 201lbs

C. Johnson 5-11 200lbs

J. Harrison 5-9 205lbs

The bigest difference between most of those guys is opportunity. Harrison might not be able to do it, but he could just as likely be like Slaton.

Harrison is the same height and 10 lbs less than Deangelo Williams. Williams average about 17 carries a game.

Harrison is capable of the same.

At 5'8" and 200 lbs Barry Sanders was one the greatest NFL backs of all time. This size theory doesn't sell for me. The thing that matters is a line that blocks for him.

Keep Lewis and go after a back next year

I agree. I don't think size is all that important. Dunn isn't a big guy but it seems he has been doing well for 20 years.

MIght be wishful thinking since they already paid Lewis a $4+ million roster bonus. Don't think they would pay the bonus if they planned on drafting a RB high.

Personally I like Donald Brown in the second round, but like I mentioned above, there's little hope for that. Maybe, if they get a few more picks, they would consider Jennings.

Even if they don't draft a RB Harrison has to be involved in the offense way more. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the primary back with Lewis coming in to take about 15 carries a game to spell Harrison, short yardage situations and end of the game grind outs.

I also would like to see Cribbs lined up on the backfield on 3rd down and used more like Mangini used Brad Smith. If Cribbs is lined up in the backfield on 3rd down the defense has to respect him. He can take a handoff from the QB, take a direct snap and run the ball, take a direct snap and pass the ball and motion out of the backfield and go out for a pass.

So, I like Harrison and since we already paid Lewis, he'll split carries, but I also like Cribbs as the 3rd down back in some cases. I'd say he's better at picking up the blitz then Harrison and can compliment our lack of receivers to spread the field. Plus, he is dangerous anytime you get him the ball and has to be respected which could pull double coverage from another receiver.

MIght be wishful thinking since they already paid Lewis a $4+ million roster bonus. Don't think they would pay the bonus if they planned on drafting a RB high.

Personally I like Donald Brown in the second round, but like I mentioned above, there's little hope for that. Maybe, if they get a few more picks, they would consider Jennings.

Even if they don't draft a RB Harrison has to be involved in the offense way more. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the primary back with Lewis coming in to take about 15 carries a game to spell Harrison, short yardage situations and end of the game grind outs.

I also would like to see Cribbs lined up on the backfield on 3rd down and used more like Mangini used Brad Smith. If Cribbs is lined up in the backfield on 3rd down the defense has to respect him. He can take a handoff from the QB, take a direct snap and run the ball, take a direct snap and pass the ball and motion out of the backfield and go out for a pass.

So, I like Harrison and since we already paid Lewis, he'll split carries, but I also like Cribbs as the 3rd down back in some cases. I'd say he's better at picking up the blitz then Harrison and can compliment our lack of receivers to spread the field. Plus, he is dangerous anytime you get him the ball and has to be respected which could pull double coverage from another receiver.

Great points Ytown. I agree whole heartedly with everything but Brown. I wouldn't mind having him but I think there are more pressig needs. I really like the crop of RB's that will come in next year's draft.

I especially like the thought of using Cribbs more. As a matter of fact, I think it would be asinine not to use this guy more.

It just has to happen.

If moving Cribbs to Safety will not be an option, then please, get more production out of him offensively! I'd love seeing Quinn and Cribbs side by side in the shotgun. My gosh, the plays that the OC could run from that backfield formation!

It's easy to see the kid has a special talent. Why do you want to have him sitting on the sidelines so much? It just doesn't make sense. None. You have to try and get him the ball.

Even a swing pass out of the backfield would allow Cribbs to use that special talent he has for finding room to run.

Great points Ytown. I agree whole heartedly with everything but Brown. I wouldn't mind having him but I think there are more pressig needs. I really like the crop of RB's that will come in next year's draft.

I especially like the thought of using Cribbs more. As a matter of fact, I think it would be asinine not to use this guy more.

It just has to happen.

If moving Cribbs to Safety will not be an option, then please, get more production out of him offensively! I'd love seeing Quinn and Cribbs side by side in the shotgun. My gosh, the plays that the OC could run from that backfield formation!

It's easy to see the kid has a special talent. Why do you want to have him sitting on the sidelines so much? It just doesn't make sense. None. You have to try and get him the ball.

Even a swing pass out of the backfield would allow Cribbs to use that special talent he has for finding room to run.

It may be just me, but I see Cribbs with better potential as a Combo style RB then a WR. I don't think he will ever be more then a #3 or #4 slot receiver but he could be a back like Westbrook was a few years back. Not an everydown RB but a guy who lined up at RB and could split out also. A great option coming out of the backfield catching screens or swing passes and also a guy they could hand the ball off to.

But, they may just think he has the potential to be a great defender as a safety. I just hope they use him.

I see the lack of diversity in play calling, at least for the most part, was the right side of the offensive line.

some plays just can't be run, with the blitz zinging in to disrupt the play every time from that side.

Defenses could see that the Browns had little choice but to run any different kind of play - quickly to the left side behind Thomas

and Steinbach.

That should be fixed by the first game of the exibition season...

but Chud was still a DUD.

I see the lack of diversity in play calling, at least for the most part, was the right side of the offensive line.

some plays just can't be run, with the blitz zinging in to disrupt the play every time from that side.

Defenses could see that the Browns had little choice but to run any different kind of play - quickly to the left side behind Thomas

and Steinbach.

That should be fixed by the first game of the exibition season...

but Chud was still a DUD.

If you want to continually bring pressure from the right side then a good OC should be able to counter that. Offense and defense is action and reaction, constant adjustments. That's why a QB who could read defenses is much more valuable, in the long run, then a QB with a gun and a ego that tells him he can fit the ball between any two defenders. It's about taking what they give you, but you have to be smart enough and experienced enough to know what that is.

Archived