THE BROWNS BOARD

John Paul Stevens wants to change the constitution

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/02/22/former-supreme-court-justice-wants-to-add-5-words-to-second-amendment-102443

whether you are for it or not this man was an actual justice and this is how he thinks. Anybody think the Constitution is sacred? Infallible? Safe? I'd say irrelevant.

I would imagine if Obama gets to appoint another Sonia Sotomayor to the bench...

WSS

He's talking about changing other amendments as well, perhaps not to the same extreme.

On the actual subject, I agree with him (shock horror) about the modern interpretation of every man, woman and child being able to carry automatic weapons around with them not necessarily matching what I suspect is the original intention of having a populace able to rise up and defeat an invasion from a militant government.

He's talking about changing other amendments as well, perhaps not to the same extreme.

On the actual subject, I agree with him (shock horror) about the modern interpretation of every man, woman and child being able to carry automatic weapons around with them not necessarily matching what I suspect is the original intention of having a populace able to rise up and defeat an invasion from a militant government.

No one carries automatic weapons except the military and police. They are illegal for civilians to carry.

So...you need to register it?

Its extremely difficult and only allowed in some states, and even then not to carry. You were making it sound like everyone was carrying fully automatic sub machine guns around. It doesn't work like that. The look alike AR-15 you see people with is a semi-automatic. Just a rifle that looks like a machine gun, but isn't. They fire one round at a time.

Its extremely difficult and only allowed in some states, and even then not to carry. You were making it sound like everyone was carrying fully automatic sub machine guns around. It doesn't work like that. The look alike AR-15 you see people with is a semi-automatic. Just a rifle that looks like a machine gun, but isn't. They fire one round at a time.

Fair enough, I mis-spoke about the automatic weapons. But the point I think still stands - the original intention seems clear to me that at that time you should have been able to carry a weapon in case the british tried to invade again, or the government got too big for its boots. I don't think either of those cases are even a remote danger (in spite of what Cal thinks). 1) We're not coming over there. There's no way we'd win and no incentive for us to do so in the first place. 2) If the US government goes all Saddam Hussain on its own people you wouldn't be able to post about it before the Russians invaded, possibly assisted by the Chinese and N.Koreans, in the name of 'removing a tyrannical government' and sparking world war 3 in the process.

But that's just my 2c, and it's worth less than that since it doesn't affect me.

Fair enough, I mis-spoke about the automatic weapons. But the point I think still stands - the original intention seems clear to me that at that time you should have been able to carry a weapon in case the british tried to invade again, or the government got too big for its boots. I don't think either of those cases are even a remote danger (in spite of what Cal thinks). 1) We're not coming over there. There's no way we'd win and no incentive for us to do so in the first place. 2) If the US government goes all Saddam Hussain on its own people you wouldn't be able to post about it before the Russians invaded, possibly assisted by the Chinese and N.Koreans, in the name of 'removing a tyrannical government' and sparking world war 3 in the process.

But that's just my 2c, and it's worth less than that since it doesn't affect me.

I don't know. Look at the war of 1812.......

I don't know. Look at the war of 1812.......

See, I assume you're not being serious here, and it makes me think that other things you post aren't so serious as well all the time. I hope I'm laughing with you, not at you on these occasions!

"Japan would never invade the United States. We would find a rifle behind every blade of grass." Isoroku Yamamoto

Works for any other country, works for any present...and future marxist gov that

tries to take away our Constitution and goes "martial law" to get and keep permanent power.

It's history. A disarmed populace is an intimidated, oppressed populace in one way, or eventually, another far worse ways

It's principle.Freedom isn't free. Trying to take it away won't work. By far, the majority of Americans will pay the

price to keep it.

See, I assume you're not being serious here, and it makes me think that other things you post aren't so serious as well all the time. I hope I'm laughing with you, not at you on these occasions!

Of course I'm not being serious. Sarcasm is hard to do sometimes on the internet.

It's history. A disarmed populace is an intimidated, oppressed populace in one way, or eventually, another far worse ways

You're right, of course, not a day goes by where I don't get pushed around by David Cameron's 'elite task force' on my way to work. If only I had a gun I could shoot them with, then all my problems would be over.

Of course I'm not being serious. Sarcasm is hard to do sometimes on the internet.

Well I managed to pick that one up. And then... v

You're right, of course, not a day goes by where I don't get pushed around by David Cameron's 'elite task force' on my way to work. If only I had a gun I could shoot them with, then all my problems would be over.

Yeah, hardy har har, Chris. You don't have to worry, you get

attacked by another country, and we'll go WWII again and save you again.

Let's all just calm down, dammit. B)

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/02/22/former-supreme-court-justice-wants-to-add-5-words-to-second-amendment-102443

whether you are for it or not this man was an actual justice and this is how he thinks. Anybody think the Constitution is sacred? Infallible? Safe? I'd say irrelevant.

I would imagine if Obama gets to appoint another Sonia Sotomayor to the bench...

WSS

The Constitution is not infallible nor sacred, even the founding fathers thought that way, hence why the original amendments(bill of rights) where created and updates through history have been done. I would not mind seeing a few of them be more clean cut and less general in their intent(such as the right to bear arms and free speech) but to do so would require 2/3 of the states to agree to the change which I don't see happening.

Yeah, hardy har har, Chris. You don't have to worry, you get

attacked by another country, and we'll go WWII again and save you again.

Let's all just calm down, dammit. B)

Sarcasm aside, I completely refute your claim that any country where people don't carry guns is oppressed and will inevitably fall prey to a militant regime. This is the 21st century, information about that kind of thing spreads so quickly, people 'going missing' can't be hushed up like they could 50-100 years ago.

Well Chris there are a lot of freedoms we could give up thereby making the country a safer place. Its just a question of human nature not wanting to give back anything. For instance we could have a 10 o'clock curfew for anyone under 21 years of age. Bring back prohibition for any intoxicating substance whatever.

Require a balanced diet and exercise for every citizen. At 35 miles per hour speed limit.

And yes we would probably be safer if someone took away every firearm.

WSS

Sarcasm aside, I completely refute your claim that any country where people don't carry guns is oppressed and will inevitably fall prey to a militant regime. This is the 21st century, information about that kind of thing spreads so quickly, people 'going missing' can't be hushed up like they could 50-100 years ago.

I can know that people are going door to door and rounding people up. That knowledge won't help me from preventing the armed people from doing that. Give governments something to be spooked about and they would gladly turn on the people.

I can know that people are going door to door and rounding people up. That knowledge won't help me from preventing the armed people from doing that. Give governments something to be spooked about and they would gladly turn on the people.

The knowledge isn't used by individuals, it's used by the international community, who like I've said a few times already would absolutely jump at the chance to show America up. Who polices the world police? ;)

But that's what the international community is for. Part of the UN's remit is basically to identify when a country is becoming militant like you're suggesting. It's then up to the key members - usually USA and us to an extent - to get involved and do something. Usually, the other major players are either too worried about repercussions (germany, france) to do anything, or don't want to upset their communist friends (russia, china). But seriously, think for a moment what would happen if America became a dictatorship - how many countries would jump at the chance to invade, set up a dummy democracy that kowtowed to its wishes?

But that's what the international community is for. Part of the UN's remit is basically to identify when a country is becoming militant like you're suggesting. It's then up to the key members - usually USA and us to an extent - to get involved and do something. Usually, the other major players are either too worried about repercussions (germany, france) to do anything, or don't want to upset their communist friends (russia, china). But seriously, think for a moment what would happen if America became a dictatorship - how many countries would jump at the chance to invade, set up a dummy democracy that kowtowed to its wishes?

None haha. They would jump for joy that the U.S. went straight into the shitter and would watch from the outside. They let North Korea be because they have a few nukes. They certainly would not try to invade the U.S. Even one that is weakened by civil unrest.

I am sure they would talk big because that is the whole point of the UN. "Man, if that guy keeps it up...we are going to tell him to stop then give him five years to consider stopping. If he hasn't stopped, we will remind him that we told him a few years ago to stop. We will give him five years to acknowledge our reminder that we had told him to stop."

Archived