THE BROWNS BOARD

John Paul Stevens wants to change the constitution

How about some of his other suggestions? I'm all for eliminating gerrymandering and limiting political campaign spending.

As far as this goes, the thought that we'd be invaded just because of a weaker or no 2nd amendment is dumb. We still have the largest military in the world, right?

Plus, our collapse would have some pretty bad consequences on the rest of the world's economies

As far as this goes, the thought that we'd be invaded just because of a weaker or no 2nd amendment is dumb. We still have the largest military in the world, right?

Spread quite thinly all throughout the world - staffed with soldier's unable to defend themselves when they return home.

Good plan; where do I hand in my guns?

Sarcasm aside, I completely refute your claim that any country where people don't carry guns is oppressed and will inevitably fall prey to a militant regime. This is the 21st century, information about that kind of thing spreads so quickly, people 'going missing' can't be hushed up like they could 50-100 years ago.

I can think of a country where it's illegal for the populace to carry guns and the people are oppressed and government snipers were putting bullets in their heads for protesting against the government.

I think I'd rather see a ban on lobbyists. They are far more damaging to this country. I do think we need sensible controls on guns but we hashed that out on another thread.

The other problem with changing amendments is that it would lead to a slippery slope where every politician will try to get the Constitution amended for their pet agenda item.

Oh and you'll call me crazy but IMHO America is a democracy in name only.

Woody remember if gerrymandering were eliminated completely you would have far fewer minority district. Therefore you would have far fewer black elected officials. Do you think Frank Jackson would win an election with 13 percent black vote? I realize that's not a gerrymandering case though.

Osiris you are completely correct we probably shouldn't even want to be a democracy. Those of us on this board probably know more than 99 percent of the population.

I can imagine every citizen having a device with a yes or no button to press for each and every vote. Ridiculous.

As for lobbyists? I'm sure we all love you guys who sell the programs we like.

Like almost everybody else I want a dictator that agrees with me.

WSS

No, I don't want a dictator - I want Americans to choose a different direction

when they see that it's going the wrong direction.

Because a dictator can agree with you for a while, Steve.

Then the hammer falls, he goes berserk, and you and everybody else...are screwed.

Stevens always was a sold out liberal weinie.

here's some food for thought:

Cuban Refugee on Gun Control Attempt: "This is Marxism"
Manuel Martinez, who fled Cuba's communist regime in the 1960s, blasted lawmakers during an Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on proposed gun control legislation. Martinez compared the state’s attempts to pass gun control to moves made by his former government. “Don't sell me this. A very powerful man tried to sell me this 50-something years ago, I didn’t buy it,” a passionate Martinez testified. “This is Marxism, plain and clear."
Hitler Survivor Condemns Gun Control
Katie Worthman was born in Austria, and lived there for seven years under Hitler's brutal regime. She describes how the Austrian gun registration eventually lead to total confiscation. "Dictatorship didn’t happen overnight," she warns. "It took five years, gradually, little by little, to escalate up to a dictatorship."
“I’m tired of seeing the Second Amendment treated like the bastard child of the Bill of Rights,” David Clarke, Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin sheriff, said during a speech.
Clarke said that if the Second Amendment is to be amended — a suggestion of former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, and the de facto goal of powerful anti-gun crusaders like former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg — it should include the words “Keep your hands off our guns, dammit.”
That’s Clarke’s “seven-word phrase” to counter Stevens’ five-word qualifier, “when serving in the militia.”

No, I don't want a dictator - I want Americans to choose a different direction

when they see that it's going the wrong direction.

Because a dictator can agree with you for a while, Steve.

Then the hammer falls, he goes berserk, and you and everybody else...are screwed.

Well I did specify a dictator that agrees with me. If it makes you feel better I should just be the dictator.

;)

WSS

Woody remember if gerrymandering were eliminated completely you would have far fewer minority district. Therefore you would have far fewer black elected officials. Do you think Frank Jackson would win an election with 13 percent black vote? I realize that's not a gerrymandering case though.

WSS

I don't care. I was against AA in that thread, remember?

Both sides use gerrymandering to their advantage and the fact that it is allowed is absolutely stupid. Whatever side is in power can just redraw the districts to keep that side in power. It is dumb. It seems like a no brainer to make this illegal. Districts should just be drawn to make sense and then looked at again every 5 or 10 years or something to see if anything significant has changed.

OH CRAP ! Woody just made a genuine, intelligent post, his SECOND of 5,584 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY !!!! It's political board PARTY TIME !!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to remember to say "almost never"

Like, "wow", man. Except, who gets to decide what makes "sense" ?

I think the redrawing of districts will always be subjective, until perhaps they

get rid of them altogether, and have reps go by "North half of states" and "South half of states"..

That would fix that whole biz....maybe.

We get it, I say something you agree with so now I make "sense". Try not to stick your head so far up your own right wing ass.

I'm not sure how you set the districts. I'd say by using an impartial source, but both sides will always have something to bitch about. My next suggestion would be a committee from each state of equal Reps and Dems, then they compromise. That would require a compromise though....

There are more than 2 representatives in most states, you couldn't do top have and lower half.

You could just start grouping together counties though. I assumed that's how it was normally done but I'm not sure.

You could vote state wide, and just pick the top 3 or 4 or whatever. Idk, a lot of possibilities.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is an actual opinion of yours, regardless, you leftwing sissy.

It's a start. Baby woody steps.

Oh, I am not deserving of such excellent consideration ! "sniff"

(heh, heh... now I can high-tax everybody else, while I get root beer free....)

Archived