THE BROWNS BOARD

How high will Shazier go?

I have been watching some tape of this kid and I must say I love this kids potential. He is insanely fast and loves to hit. My big knock on him is he doesn't use his hands to shed blocks well, and he isn't super instinctive.

With that said I think he may go a lot sooner than people are mocking him at. With his athletic ability could he sneak into the 10-15 range? I personally wouldn't mind a trade back and picking him up given what Pettine and his staff did with Alonso.

I don't see him lasting to 26 so would you guys be mad if we did something like what I stated above? I have watched tape, but a lot of you guys have seen him perform live so I would like to hear your take on him

I wouldn't take him before the 2nd round and honestly even there I wouldn't feel too good about it. I think he is a good player for a 4-3 OLB role. I know we run a hybrid system, but we are going to be in the 3-4 most of the time so the pick doesn't make sense. He would have to be a tweener, going between ILB and OLB in the 3-4. He is too small for OLB on everything but passing downs and I honestly don't think he has enough power to play ILB all the time, or at all. He can run sideline to sideline, but if he meets guys head up he drags them down instead of pushing them back. Plus he is a huge injury concern. Never anything big, but a bunch of small stuff. He always seemed to miss, on average, one quarter a game.

He isn't a traditional inside linebacker, but the position is starting get fluid. A few years ago you would never have a guy in the middle that was 230, but that is starting to be the trend. If we are ok with Robertson at the position, than we should be happy to have Shazier to replace him.

The thing about CB is there is a handful of good guys at that position, where as inside linebacker is bone dry. We could still pick up fuller, dennard, and even Phillip Gaines (whom is another guy I have really taken a liking to) with the 26 or later

Compare Shazie's combine size to Willis from San Fran,then compare his combine stats to Willis's combine stats. He'll become stronger once he's paid to work out full time. I think Pettine could turn him into a top 5 ILB within 2, maybe 3 years.

How HUGE is our LB need? I would not even reach for him.

In my opinion a second ILB may be our second highest priority....if you think QB is #1. If you don't think QB is #1, the ILB is our top priority.

I personally would be very, very tempted to take Shazier at #26 if he is there.

With Dansby and Robertson I think we can what to get UDF to fill our need as a back up backer.

Sorry, but no, I think last year Robertson was one of our weakest links on defense. I think he is OK for a backup...but we need an upgrade from him....whomever that may be.

getting a true #2 CB is a much greater need than getting an ILB. we signed dansby to replace DQ and have some depth there.

can't say the same for CB.

QB

CB

OG

WR

LB

I think Skrine does better at his slot than Robertson does at his, so I would put ILB above CB on the pecking order....not that we cannot also use an upgrade at CB. So, if the Browns go CB late 1st early 2d, and don't go ILB, I won't cry about it.

Of course, it would depend on the talent available. If at 26, there is a better CB talent there....go for that. But if there is a better ILB talent....go for that. (same with all other positions....if OG Yankey is there at 26 I think he has to seriously be considered).

With Dansby and Robertson I think we can what to get UDF to fill our need as a back up backer.

I think that while those two would be *fine* for this season - Dansby will be very good, robertson will be not great - but we need to plan for the future sooner rather than later. Even if we get two or three solid years of production from Dansby, we're still just postponing the need to fill the hole. Get in an ILB now that can learn from Dansby while splitting time with Robertson, before eventually taking over from first Robertson, then Dansby (at which point we'd need another ILB).

it really depends on the browns plan with their first 2 picks. everyone has us taking watkins @4. but if mack is there we wouldn't pick him? if we pick mack then this discussion is moot, but let's say they pick QB @4 then would you pick CB, LB or WR @26?

If Mack is there, then I take him in a heartbeat. He's an impact LB you cannot pass on. And an impact LB is something we sorely lack.

As for Shazier... I think HB nailed it. A good round 2 prospect as a 4-3 OLB.

it really depends on the browns plan with their first 2 picks. everyone has us taking watkins @4. but if mack is there we wouldn't pick him? if we pick mack then this discussion is moot, but let's say they pick QB @4 then would you pick CB, LB or WR @26?

If we go QB at 4, it would be difficult to imagine us not taking a WR at 26 or 35. If Gordon goes down we'll really be hurting and will need a top prospect at that position to take the lead. Staying on that point, I would be surprised if we don't take two WRs by the end of the 4th round, for the injury reason mentioned above.

As for what position other than WR, I could see a CB or ILB, I guess it would all depend on who was there. If you're sitting at 26 and have Fuller, Shazier, Mosley and someone like Cooks to choose from (all of those won't be there), it likely just comes down to bpa.

lol... Jesus get over yourself.

mmmkay...

So Mack's not an impact LB?

Or we are already loaded with impact LBs?

Or Both?

Or Shazier is the shiznik?

Or all the above?

C'mon, Mr. PFWA, school this poor man...

or STFU...

Better?

I would like to see the Browns take him at 26 if they can. Fills an important need: ILB....yes ILB, which is where he played mostly last year at OSU.

Agreed. He is included in my dream draft (first 7 picks)

1a. Watkins

1b. Shazier or Mosley

2b. Fuller or Roby

3a. Yankee

3b. QB

4a. Abbrederis

4b. Simms, White or other RB

Agreed. He is included in my dream draft (first 7 picks)

1a. Watkins

1b. Shazier or Mosley

2b. Fuller or Roby

3a. Yankee

3b. QB

4a. Abbrederis

4b. Simms, White or other RB

I highly doubt Fuller makes it out of round one, and honestly I would rather take him at 26 instead of Shazier. I thing having as many good corners as poasble will have a much greater impact than two beastly ILB would in the pass happy NFL.

I highly doubt Fuller makes it out of round one, and honestly I would rather take him at 26 instead of Shazier. I thing having as many good corners as poasble will have a much greater impact than two beastly ILB would in the pass happy NFL.

I agree. It was a "dream" draft. There's a very good chance every corner and LB I have listed will be gone by 26, as well as Sua Filo (not listed, but preferred). 26 will be an interesting pick. Can't wait for Thursday night to see how it plays out.

Archived