THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine: Not Ideal for Browns to draft QB at 4

cvcanedy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000345522/article/mike-pettine-not-ideal-for-browns-to-draft-qb-at-no-4

Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine told reporters at the NFL Annual Meeting last month that he'sopen to drafting multiple quarterbacks this year.

In an "ideal" world, though, Pettine would prefer to pick up an impact position player at No. 4 overall and land a quarterback later in the draft.

2014 NFL Draft Winds
0ap2000000331109.jpgCollege Football 24/7 takes a look at the rumors connecting draft prospects with NFL teams leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft.

» AFC East | North | South | West
» NFC East | North | South | West

More:
» Tracking teams' interest in top prospects

Bucking the NFL's trend of the past half-decade, Pettine emphasized that it's "extremely difficult" for a quarterback to succeed as a rookie starter.

"When you look at the history of the league whether it was (Tom) Brady or whether it was Aaron Rodgers, or Carson Palmer (they waited)," Pettine explained Tuesday, via The Plain Dealer. "Even Russell Wilson sat for a little bit and (Colin) Kaepernick was a package player his first year."

From reading Nicholas Dawidoff's account of the 2011 New York Jets season, we know that Pettine is a straight shooter. This doesn't appear to be any kind of draft smokescreen.

Pettine simply believes NFL teams are in the "win-now business," and veteran quarterbacks give them a better chance to do just that.

That makes plenty of sense in theory.

Pettine's problem is that his current QB1 is a journeyman of underwhelming talent and track recordcoming off reconstructive knee surgery.

Future Hall of Famer Tom Brady, golden-armed Carson Palmer and 2012 Rookie of the Year Robert Griffin III have all struggled in their returns from ACL tears.

If Pettine is in win-now mode, he needs a realistic alternative to Brian Hoyer.

Felt like he was speaking the truth while also smoke screening. Basically saying that it wouldn't be ideal to take one at 4, but they very well may have to. If they have someome like Keith Wenning or Savage pegged as their project, though, there can be a lot of damage done at every other position of need before we turn in a card for a QB.

He knows we need a QB, yet he would "prefer" not to draft one at #4. That doesn't mean squat b/c if you pass on all the QBs at #4 and you miss out on the next franchise guy, you're waiting another year to draft him and possibly another year for him to sit... that's not exactly "win-now." Unless Farmer thinks one of the later round picks is franchise QB material, you have to make sure you get one whether that be Bortles, Bridgewater, or Carr (who IMHO are the three guys with the best potential). Even if they draft Manziel I won't be that mad b/c at least we're taking a shot at QB... That position, above every other position in all of sports, is the ONE spot worth taking the gamble... Plus, if we pass on those guys and they're all gone by #26, then we almost HAVE to reach to get a QB with that pick - then we end up with another Brandon Weeden...

"rather pick up an 'Impact position player' at no.4" ... what position is more impactful than QB???? Even if they have to sit for a year or so to be effective...

Someone on here posted some info and videos on Jeff Mathews, a QB out of Cornell I believe - 6' 4" & 223lbs.

The kid looks pretty good, presnap reads, throws, not staring down targets.

He's currently projected to be about 5th-6th round.

Wouldn't mind seeing us grab this guy - Brady was a 6th rounder if I recall correctly, and Russel Wilson was a 3rd round pick a few years back.

'bout time we got lucky once, why not here?

NO MORE PROJECTs! Either take one of the two big QBs, or wait till next year. If Watkins is there that the only other option, but I can't see jax and St. Louis passing on him.

He knows we need a QB, yet he would "prefer" not to draft one at #4. That doesn't mean squat b/c if you pass on all the QBs at #4 and you miss out on the next franchise guy, you're waiting another year to draft him and possibly another year for him to sit... that's not exactly "win-now." Unless Farmer thinks one of the later round picks is franchise QB material, you have to make sure you get one whether that be Bortles, Bridgewater, or Carr (who IMHO are the three guys with the best potential). Even if they draft Manziel I won't be that mad b/c at least we're taking a shot at QB... That position, above every other position in all of sports, is the ONE spot worth taking the gamble... Plus, if we pass on those guys and they're all gone by #26, then we almost HAVE to reach to get a QB with that pick - then we end up with another Brandon Weeden...

"rather pick up an 'Impact position player' at no.4" ... what position is more impactful than QB???? Even if they have to sit for a year or so to be effective...

Your entire philosophy is predicated on the fact that Bortles, Carr or Bridgewater are franchise quarterbacks. If they believe that to be true then damn right you have to take them at 4. If they are not sold on the fact they are then damn wrong, you wait and take one later. I agree with you that a great QB would be the most impact however when he says he would rather take an impact player at 4 (and assuming its not smokescreen) he would essentially be saying that none of the QBs are surefire impact players.

maybe he believes that if they fix the OL on the right side, grab a #2 WR, fill in the holes on D with a true #2 CB and an ILB that anyone can win under those circumstances.

hell look at trent dilfer and brad johnson.

maybe he believes that if they fix the OL on the right side, grab a #2 WR, fill in the holes on D with a true #2 CB and an ILB that anyone can win under those circumstances.

hell look at trent dilfer and brad johnson.

It's asinine to think they can't get a #2 WR, #2 CB, #2 ILB, and RG with a late 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and 2 3rd round picks in a draft that is deep as he** at all 4 of those positions. This is the perfect year to take a risk on a QB, if we're going to take one.

Also, Dilfer had "arguably" the best defense ever on his side, and the Bucs scored 21 points on defense in the SB the year Johnson won it... You're telling me we can have that type of defense by adding 2 players...??

Sure... let's take the most important position in all of sports and ... hope we "get lucky."

The rest of the story . . .

There's a lot of talk that with 10 picks (and maybe more), we're taking two QB's.

I'm not crazy about any of the "Top Tier" QB's, so Jeff Matthews as the second should be a good deal.

Pettine's recently said that he'd like to have whoever they get at QB to sit and learn, and unlike our (many) other HC's, there may well be a chance it happens this time based on what he's said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/30/mike-pettine-ideal-situation-is-drafting-a-quarterback-later-than-fourth-pick/

Coach Mike Pettine will be one of the men involved in making the decision about when the Browns move for a quarterback and Pettine said Tuesday that he prefers to have a quarterback sit as a rookie before taking over as a starter. Pettine has experience coaching on teams quarterbacked by Kyle Boller, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and E.J. Manuel as rookies from day one, which has left him with the feeling that it is “a rare guy that can handle that and he has to have a great supporting cast in order to do it.”

It's asinine to think they can't get a #2 WR, #2 CB, #2 ILB, and RG with a late 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and 2 3rd round picks in a draft that is deep as he** at all 4 of those positions. This is the perfect year to take a risk on a QB, if we're going to take one.

Also, Dilfer had "arguably" the best defense ever on his side, and the Bucs scored 21 points on defense in the SB the year Johnson won it... You're telling me we can have that type of defense by adding 2 players...??

ok show me your mock.

not trying to be a jerk.

i'd really like to see what you consider a GOOD #2 CB, WR, ILB and RG from 26 on being as we should take a QB at 4.

I'll bite.

Assuming we take Carr/Bortles/Manziel @4....

26)Xavier Su'a-Filo/Kelvin Benjamin/CJ Mosley/Kyle Fuller/ (or take a RT and move Schwartz inside)

...WR's- Lee/Cook/Adams

36)Stanley Jean-Baptiste/Davonte Adams/Xavier Su'a-Filo

3rd Round)David Yankey/Chris Borland/Cyril Richardson/Dakota Dozier/Jarvis Landry

It could look something like this:

Bortles/Carr/Manziel

Xavier Su'a-Filo

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Jarvis Landry

Chris Borland

...That's QB/OG/CB#2/WR#2/ILB#2- BAM!

I'm starting to laugh at all the rumors & predictions based on what is said "pre draft". None of that BS means anything. Those that do make all these predictions or buy all these rumors may look silly as hell AFTER the draft. These media people & "draft insiders" are grasping at straws.

There are definitely players I like, but that's meaningless. I'm just watching, reading, & waiting for next week.

Mike

I'll bite.

Assuming we take Carr/Bortles/Manziel @4....

26)Xavier Su'a-Filo/Kelvin Benjamin/CJ Mosley/Kyle Fuller/ (or take a RT and move Schwartz inside)

...WR's- Lee/Cook/Adams

36)Stanley Jean-Baptiste/Davonte Adams/Xavier Su'a-Filo

3rd Round)David Yankey/Chris Borland/Cyril Richardson/Dakota Dozier/Jarvis Landry

It could look something like this:

Bortles/Carr/Manziel

Xavier Su'a-Filo

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Jarvis Landry

Chris Borland

...That's QB/OG/CB#2/WR#2/ILB#2- BAM!

so you got QB @4

the top ranked G @26

the 10th ranked CB @35 (who 'experts' have mocked @76)

the 18th ranked WR @71 (who experts have @100)

the #2 ranked ILB @83 ( """" @50)

uhhhhh..

How Pick 4 goes well: Just my humble but accurate opinion lol.

A. Sammy Watkins: He's as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft. Really doubt he'll be there at 4 though, home run if he is.

B. JohnnyM: Shocks me how many people can't stand this QB. All he did was DOMINATE the best conference in the country (Yeah I'm an OSU fan too, but your being intellectually dishonest if you wanna argue the SEC hasn't been the strongest conference for a decade, Especially the West.) I mean, yeah, he could be bust. You want a sure thing at QB? Wait another 20 years for another Andrew Luck.

C. JC! NO WAY HE DROPS TO 4.....

How Pick 4 doesnt go well:

1. OL: There's three sick OT's in the draft, but you don't take a RT at NO.4! You just don't.

2. Mack: Great looking linebacker, but unless he's planning to play both ways, he doesn't fix the biggest problem. POINTS.

3. Carr: Christian Ponder level reach.

4. Bortles: Also a reach, smaller reach, but still a reach. You could trade back with someone who wants Mack to get him.

GO BROWNS!

If we don't go QB at 4 there's a very good chance they (4-5 of them) are gone by 26. If they pass at 4 they're basically saying they're okay with taking a mid-rounder. A few teams will resist the panic button when contemplating the QBs this year. With an aging Romo, the Titans passing on their team option this year, and the lack of young talent presently in the league, I wouldn't be suprised if there's a lot of reaching.

With that, if we don't trade down:

4. Watkins

26. Depends on who was picked before us. Ideally, two of the top 5 corners remain, as well as Mosley. Take Mosley, all day. Him being here is a product of the reaching at QB.

35. Take one of the remaining top 5 CBs. I think if there's 2 left at 26, one will fall to 35.

Theres your #2 WR, ILB, & CB. Getting here would be a heck of a first 3 picks. Rather than trade up from the third for Yankee, I'd hold and take Gabe Jackson at 3a. If there's some major difference between him and Yankee, I guess a trade up would be justified. From here on I assume BPA. If they pass on a QB at 4, they'll have a mid rounder in mind. Take him when it's time.

Just my thousght. That's how I could see a #2 WR, ILB, CB, and G happening, so long as they get the mid rounder they feel has the most upside at QB.

How Pick 4 goes well: Just my humble but accurate opinion lol.

A. Sammy Watkins: He's as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft. Really doubt he'll be there at 4 though, home run if he is.

B. JohnnyM: Shocks me how many people can't stand this QB. All he did was DOMINATE the best conference in the country (Yeah I'm an OSU fan too, but your being intellectually dishonest if you wanna argue the SEC hasn't been the strongest conference for a decade, Especially the West.) I mean, yeah, he could be bust. You want a sure thing at QB? Wait another 20 years for another Andrew Luck.

C. JC! NO WAY HE DROPS TO 4.....

How Pick 4 doesnt go well:

1. OL: There's three sick OT's in the draft, but you don't take a RT at NO.4! You just don't.

2. Mack: Great looking linebacker, but unless he's planning to play both ways, he doesn't fix the biggest problem. POINTS.

3. Carr: Christian Ponder level reach.

4. Bortles: Also a reach, smaller reach, but still a reach. You could trade back with someone who wants Mack to get him.

GO BROWNS!

Well, Tebow lite up the SEC to higher record proportions, for more years, helped his team win a NFL playoff game and we know how that turned out. He's a NFL pariah

Just because Mr. Football lite up the SEC don't mean shit. Just like Tebow, Johnney had a good supporting cast too.

I'm starting to laugh at all the rumors & predictions based on what is said "pre draft". None of that BS means anything. Those that do make all these predictions or buy all these rumors may look silly as hell AFTER the draft. These media people & "draft insiders" are grasping at straws.

There are definitely players I like, but that's meaningless. I'm just watching, reading, & waiting for next week.

Mike

Last year all the talk was about whether there would be an opportunity to trade down if there was one of the top LTs on the board. Instead, Miami went up from, what, 12 to 3, to pick dion jordan. Who the hell saw that coming? Nobody has a damn clue about the draft and in particular trades.

don't be surprised if we do take manziel. a couple of weeks ago carr was mentioned a million times with the browns. now i'm hearing the same thing a week away from the draft and the name that gets most mentioned most with the browns is manziel and @4.

Exactly Tox. All the sports gurus (cough cough) are writing Hoyer off without even seeing what good coaches can do with him. I would argue that if Brady wasn't coached by the Belichick bunch that he wouldn't be HOF ready. It ain't like he can do anything but throw strikes. We saw what a well rounded NFL team does to a NFL team that has a QB that throws strikes in the recent SB.

Well, Tebow lite up the SEC to higher record proportions, for more years, helped his team win a NFL playoff game and we know how that turned out. He's a NFL pariah

Just because Mr. Football lite up the SEC don't mean shit. Just like Tebow, Johnney had a good supporting cast too.

Well, your right. That one fact in and of it self MIGHT not be good enough. Lets run with that comparison.....

Tebow had a bunch of question marks coming into the draft.

• Sub par arm
  • way below par mechanics
  • sub par accuracy

None of those questions exists for Manziel. He isn't Luck, he isn't Manning. But, outside of Bortles, the rest of these QB's are backups. I wouldnt take any other QB's before half way through the 2nd round at the EARLIEST.

They can wait till next year, but, there are just no guarantees....

Ya this whole best qb is the best conferance argument is stupid. The player still needs to be able to transition to an NFL offense and you need to figure out if the player can do that. The fact that he is a "gamer" is not a measurable trAit that can gauge his transition.

Hell we should never waste a 1st round pick on a quarterback, we should keep a ample supply of these guys from the waiver wires and 2nd day picks. History has proven we always ruin good quarterbacks so we need to buy them like some buy a box of tampons at the giant eagle.

Ya this whole best qb is the best conferance argument is stupid. The player still needs to be able to transition to an NFL offense and you need to figure out if the player can do that. The fact that he is a "gamer" is not a measurable trAit that can gauge his transition.

yeah these geniuses were saying Russell Wilson would never be a starter in the NFL. lmao~!!!

If I remember right, Bridgewater was projected as #1 Overall (hands down) early last season. I know he had a poor workout, etc... but if the guy falls to us in the 2nd Rd after we have had a chance to load up on Watkins or another big name at #4 then get another solid player at at #26...

Why not give him a chance? Or, better yet - look at the other guys out there later on... McCarron, Garoppolo, etc?

This will be a fun draft anyway.

Archived