THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine: Not Ideal for Browns to draft QB at 4

cvcanedy

yeah these geniuses were saying Russell Wilson would never be a starter in the NFL. lmao~!!!

But his was based solely on height. He was "Too Small" to throw from the pocket. They thought he would have to role out everytime he threw. He proved them wrong by mainly staying in the pocket. As athletic Russell is, he rarely goes for the scramble or run, he always goes through his reads first. Will Manziel do that? Something I read another analyst say is sticking with me. If Manziel, with how his mental make up is, goes out his first fews games or the first season, and plays just like he did in college, which is rolling out after his first read was gone or just going for the run, and he has success early doing that, it is going to hurt him in the long run. He is going to eventually find it hard to do well and possibly get hurt, but he has the mental make up to stick with what he thinks works and not what the coaches think works. If however he comes in with the understanding that he needs to go through all his read progressions, and only scamble once the pressure forces him out, if he learns to not just throw the ball up on a whim, he can find very good success in the NFL. The NFL QB needs to live in the pocket, needs to be able to make his throws from there, and then anything on top of that like scrambling ability is gravy that makes you an even better player.

Well, your right. That one fact in and of it self MIGHT not be good enough. Lets run with that comparison.....

Tebow had a bunch of question marks coming into the draft.

• Sub par arm
  • way below par mechanics
  • sub par accuracy
None of those questions exists for Manziel. He isn't Luck, he isn't Manning. But, outside of Bortles, the rest of these QB's are backups. I wouldnt take any other QB's before half way through the 2nd round at the EARLIEST.

They can wait till next year, but, there are just no guarantees....

None of those problems exist with Jonny too short? Sigh....

You're exactly the guy I am talking about in another thread....myopic fans. You can't even be honest with yourself. Instead, you serve hyperbole.

I've not heard or read one single claim that ole Jonny boys mechanics are even average, let alone adequate.

Even if they draft Manziel I won't be that mad b/c at least we're taking a shot at QB... That position, above every other position in all of sports, is the ONE spot worth taking the gamble...

Sure... let's take the most important position (QB) in all of sports and ... hope we "get lucky."

Hmmmm... am I the only one that sees these two consecutive positions as polar opposites?

So, now that we have 4 QB's on board . . .

Talk of WR Evans being at the top of the Browns Draft board . . .

I did not know he could throw...

None of those problems exist with Jonny too short? Sigh....

You're exactly the guy I am talking about in another thread....myopic fans. You can't even be honest with yourself. Instead, you serve hyperbole.

I've not heard or read one single claim that ole Jonny boys mechanics are even average, let alone adequate.

Nobody ever said Tebow was too short.....? I didn't hear anyone after his pro day complain about his mechanics......?

I'm not going to die on the "Johnny" hill. I'm more willing to die on the: "Don't take a OLB when you drafted one last year and he doesn't score points hill". Or the "You dont take a RT at #4 hill." Or even the "Garappolo isnt Joe Flacco" hill. My personal hope is Watkins at 4, and hope that Johnny falls to 26. Right now we are banking on a QB who's been cut from 3 different teams..... And this isnt "Draft Day" the movie. I don't wanna see another season of the Browns losing because they can't score points.

can't score points is only on the QB?

GTFO.

how about catch the fucking ball and then run with it? how about block and have a running game? actually possess a RB that doesn't get hurt after 3 freaking games. you could put rex grossman back there with a potent running game and receivers that can catch the fucking ball and score points.

I get bears fans who will argue that! Rex n Effects is horrible. I like the buffalo guys draft. Rather see johnny, but TBridgewater could probably get them thru to 2015.

I did not know he could throw...

Sorry Tour2ma, I probably should have formatted that better.

What I was trying to get at is how all the potential targets tied to the Browns keep shifting and shifting.

We've got 4 QB's now, so there's likely some (percieved) redirect on our targetted QB . . . . and are we still going to draft 2 QB's and have 6 QB's in camp?

If Evans really is at the top of the Browns board, then that should definitely change the QB target landscape - real or percieved.

Just read an article from one of the bigger Draftnik's saying that none of the QB's in this Draft are grade above the 2nd round, and that Manziel will probably go late 1st - outside of Dallas picking him up for a PR boost.

Not really Pettine on QB's here, but it is Pettine relying on the expertise of those he's put in charge of this area:

“Being a former quarterback does not make me a quarterback expert,” Pettine said as the Browns wrapped up a three-day voluntary minicamp.

As a parade of quarterback prospects worked out for the Browns — more than Shanahan said he’d seen in any of his previous 10 years in the league — Pettine concentrated on looking for the “it factor.” He tried to find the player with the confidence, assertiveness and poise to handle teammates “when they need to be handled” and to manage the huddle. He left the technical aspects and whether a player fits the system to Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains.

Asked if Shanahan will have more input in drafting a quarterback than he will, Pettine said, “As he should. I’m going to defer to an expert. I can say what a good one looks like, but there are times I don’t know I can say why he’s good.”

Pettine hired Shanahan because he’s been able to tailor his offense to different style quarterbacks. He had success with a pocket passer in the Houston Texans’ Matt Schaub and with the Washington Redskins’ Robert Griffin III, who has perhaps the most dangerous legs in the game.

Shanahan said he went to every quarterback workout the Browns attended. Then he put the prospects in order.

“There’s a bunch of guys who can play in this draft,” Shanahan said. “Some I like more than others. You’ve got to put yourself out there a little bit, you’ve got to say the ones that you like the best.”

http://www.ohio.com/sports/ridenour/marla-ridenour-kyle-shanahan-s-expertise-will-be-asset-as-browns-draft-quarterback-of-future-1.485046?localLinksEnabled=false

Some other good tidbits in the article.

What I was trying to get at is how all the potential targets tied to the Browns keep shifting and shifting.

We've got 4 QB's now, so there's likely some (percieved) redirect on our targetted QB . . . . and are we still going to draft 2 QB's and have 6 QB's in camp?

If Evans really is at the top of the Browns board, then that should definitely change the QB target landscape - real or percieved.

Just read an article from one of the bigger Draftnik's saying that none of the QB's in this Draft are grade above the 2nd round, and that Manziel will probably go late 1st - outside of Dallas picking him up for a PR boost.

You can bet that both Young and Thigpen are on one year, non-guaranteed contracts contingent that they make the final roster.

If all of the qbs truly have second round grades, we'd be nuts to take one any higher than #26. But you can bet some team is going to reach for one, unless teams have learned from the recent Ponder and Gabbert fiascoes.

You can bet that both Young and Thigpen are on one year, non-guaranteed contracts contingent that they make the final roster.

If all of the qbs truly have second round grades, we'd be nuts to take one any higher than #26. But you can bet some team is going to reach for one, unless teams have learned from the recent Ponder and Gabbert fiascoes.

Do believe I saw that they were one year deals.

Also read that Young cancelled his flight home this weekend - plans on staying and working in the Browns facilities to get familiar with the new Playbook and all.

Good to see the motivation, and hopefully he's got his head on straight.

I've also been seeing talk now that the Browns may not take a QB this year.

Crazy times ahead if that's so, but I can't say it'd surprise me as Farmer had Mariota as his favorite before that all fell apart (yeah, I know, Tank for Teddy).

I am really curious to see what Farmer comes up with for this Draft.

I have a feeling even after the fact it may not be what everyone's thinking - his end game may well be a different route than anyone's expecting.

Pettine actually said, that it's possible the Browns might draft a THIRD qb, in the last round,

if he were there, ..

interesting.

Smoke x 2?

lol... I was just having a bit of fun. But seriously, if Evans tops our board, then I would have to seriously reevaluate my hopes for our new regime...

Archived