THE BROWNS BOARD

FINALLY, GuNNerGatSKy's ultra uber, incredible, lights out MOCK DRAFT 1.0

GuNNerGatSKi

GuNNiN 4 gAtSKy's Mock 1.0

One more week gentleman and we can finally end all the speculation, bashing, and arguing over who the Browns SHOULD draft and can begin the bashing and arguing over who the Browns DID draft! I plan on doing two more mocks after this one, each exploring a different scenario of how the draft may play out. For this first mock, I am focusing on taking BPA with the focus on adding the last pieces to a potentially elite defense. With that said, the Browns begin their draft by selecting....

Round 1

#4 Khalil Mack, OLB/ILB Buffalo

IMO, if Mack is there at 4, and Farmer wants to focus on polishing off our already solid defense, Mack is the no brainer selection. He WILL have a tremendous impact on our defense. Third and long and here come Mingo, Mack, Taylor, Dez, etc. Your fucked Ben! Try to dip and dodge these maniacs!

Mack played a hybrid linebacker role in the Bulls' 3-4 defense, seeing time both with his hand on the ground and standing up. Possesses a strongly frame with good body thickness throughout. Outstanding take-on strength, using his powerful arms to jolt and lock out. Plays fast in pursuit with a great closing burst, smooth lateral movements with good range, surging with his hips. All in all a top end athlete with excellent potential and a near limitless ceiling. Can foresee him playing a hybrid role in Pettines defense, seeing time at ILB on running downs, OLB both with his hand in the ground and in a two point stance, and possible DE as well. Easy to see him rushing the QB from all over our front 7.

#26 Kyle Fuller, CB Virginia Tech

Again IMO this is yet another easy choice if available at 26. Fuller has great potential to be a shutdown, press man corner playing opposite Joe Haden.

Fuller was an All ACC performer the past three seasons. He is rangy and light footed with quick movements, capable of playing man or zone coverage. A bit of a string bean with limited room to increase strength, though plays bigger than he looks. Possesses a very physical demeanor, excellent toughnes/energy, great vertical leap, smooth hips, good route recognition, and does his homework on opposing receivers.

2nd Round

#35 Jimmy Garroppolo, QB E. Illinois

IMO Jimmy G. has a great chance to be a succesful starter in the NFL. He very easily could be our Andy Dalton,providing us with a B- quality starter while we continue to build our football team and search for a better answer. He also could very well be our Tony Romo 2.0, hopefully without the choke artist trappings of 1.0.

Jimmy broke all of Romo's school records and the majority of the Ohio Valley Conference passing records. Won yhe 2013 Walter Payton Award (FCS Heisman). Not the biggest QB and lacks a huge arm but possesses an above average understanding of offensive football, with quick eyes and touch to push the ball downfield. Live arm, experiencd directing a pass happy offense. Above average timing, quick feet to evade pressure, ability to reset when he gets happy feet, confidence in spades with a short memory, and very good overall ball placement at all levels. Will need work to continue to inprove his decision making, control his feet and mechanics, and reduce his tendecy to hold the ball to long. Ultra fast release is a major strength.

#40 Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S Florida State

(Traded next years 2nd, this years second 4th, and next years 3rd)

I really wanted to avoid trades but i couldnt leave this guy on the board. In my mind he is the image of what Browns player should be and a player Farmer and Pettine could fall in love with. He will most definitely push Skrine to get better, share reps with him at nickel and play dimeback, and could very well be our future FS.

Yea, I know he is 5'8, 190 lbs. BUT, he plays like he is David vs. Goliath. Plays with physicality to rival many of the bigger corners in the leauge. Possesses a thick, muscular frame and fights relentlessy, disengaging with good timing to wrap. Very smootb and fluid in space, exploding with a dynamic first step to close on plays. Strong second gear vertically, tracking the ball in the air with natural instincts in the backfield and with the ball in his hand. Injury concern due to his aggressive nature but his intensity is no negative but his greatest strength. WILL be an impact player at the next level. Kid can play ball boys. And as an added bonus he is incredible at blitzing from the CB/S position.

3rd Round

#71 Donte Moncrief, WR Mississippi

Here is our no.2 WR. Possesses near limitless potential.

Has a thick frame, deceptive speed and smooth route running, making him a nightmare for cornerbacks on gameday. Sudden in his breaks, showcasing the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage. Accelerates quickly, tracks the ball well and has great body control to make the dazzling grab. Only thing holding back is questions about his straight line speed.

#83 Christian Jones, ILB Florida State

The heir to Dansby's throne and someone to push Robertson and hopefully relegate him to his original 3rd down role. Great upside, kid can play ball.

Tremendous athlete with fluid footwork, able to flip hisnhips with no wasted movement. Can blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage, running like a strong safety. Uses his length and reach to disrupt timing and find the ball in coverage. Fantastic range and speed to chase and takes proper angles in pursuit. Flashes ability to take on blockers and blow past them for the big play.

Needs to work on awareness, turn his head quicker to find the ball.

4th Round

#106 Dakota Dozier, G Furman or Jawuan James, OT Tennessee

Two picks here because I have considerable doubts Dozier makes it to the fourth round. Dozier is the perfect pick to plug in at RG and solidify the right side of the line. If he is gone here, James is my next choice. In this case, we use him to push Schwartz and if James beats him out we move Schwartz inside.

These guys are pretty self explanatory. If you want some detailed scouting info on them do the research yourself!

#127 (traded)

5th Round

#145 Storm Johnson, RB UCF

I truely believe Storm had alot to do with Bortles success last year. Besides, he has a badass, picture perfect name for a RB.

Not creative or elusive, he varies hia gait and reacts to the flow of defenders to pick up chunk yardage. Solid all around running back. Sturdy frame with room for additional muscle. NATURAL runner with great instincts, varying his burst to the ball with core strength to break arm tackles at LOS. Good at lowering shoulder and churning his legs. Perfect back to spell Ben Tate and contribute to the offense

Sixth Round

#180 Colt Lyerla, TE Oregon

Yes I know Colt is a jackass with substance abuse issues. But he has tremendous upside. He is a gamble, and the sixth round is a great place to gamble on a guy like this. Do your own research if you want to know more specifics.

Seventh Round

#218 Matt Hazel, WR Coastal Carolina

Hazel is a small school stud I can see being a major sleeper in this draft. Not flashy at all, but he is super polished in his routes and very seasoned for an FCS prospect. He can contribute to our offense.

UDFAs:

David Fluellen, RB Toledo

Kenny Guiton, QB THE Ohio State University

Both potential sleepers/under the radar guys who could surprise. Sign them, give them a shot in camp, cut em if they suck.

Well thats it folks let me know your honest thoughts. I can take constructive criticism, provided you back it up with some evidence.

Most importantly, GO BROWNS!

I love the Fuller, Lyerla, and Johnson pick, but I don't understand the Grappollo pick. The 2nd is too valuable for a noodle armed small school prospect. I would rather see us pick up one of the WRs that slid out of the first with that pick.

All in all there are a bunch of interesting prospects in there, so if we end up with something like this on draft day I would be ok with it.

Round 1#4 Khalil Mack, OLB/ILB Buffalo
Ideally, this pick would rock the house. But, I think he's gone, so I didn't pick him.
But if it would happen, I'll pour some of Canton Mike's beer into my root beer ....and drink it !
He has "future all pro" written all over him.

Some "experts" have Fuller now being in the top three cb's, right behind Dennard and Gilbert.
One even had Fuller as their number one !
I figured he'd definately be gone in the top 25, so I couldn't draft him, either.... It's tough to draft two straight defensive
players, though, despite that these two would be excellent. They're gone....

2nd Round

This is a great pick, but like all mocks, the Texans could nab him with their 2nd if they went Clowney in the first,
there is talk of Denver grabbing him late first.... I was tempted to keep Bortles as the #1 pick, except
all the stupid talk about him not having the elite arm, etc. This years' qbs can warp anybody's mind
while trying to figure it out..... I like the Savage kid to a point, but he's further away, a development guy.
HE has the big arm. But so did Weeden and Derek Anderson, so I want far more than the big arm..
Only one pick in the second round... too bad. Yeah, I wish he had an elite arm...

NO. I don't think he improves the Browns, is a Buster Skrine clone. Need taller cb. TRADING up
to get him? No way. And all the taller cb's who could start, will be gone by this pick. What a problem this draft is, eh? NEXT YEARS 2 and 3 ? No frickin way, man.
Gotta draft a cb high, probably #26 or 2nd round, although the Watkins kid, and Phillip Gaines, and Desire, maybe top of the third.. The Browns need a cb who can step in and start.
They don't grow on trees, and it's a passing league, so they say, and most teams are going
to be grabbing the really good ones.Sorry, this is a trade up that makes no sense at all. And tradeups are nonsense, it's like cheating in mock drafts. ;)

3rd Round

Nice pick, I did read somewhere that his intensity might be lacking ...something like that.
Maybe his physicality... something about this pick that kept him out of my list. I started to
wonder if he was more like Massaquoi sp?

I really like this kid, his instincts are in question by several "experts". Who knows?
So, I dropped him. Need a lb with serious instincts and awareness, don't think
that is that much coachable... who knows.

4th Round

Dozier is a good pick, converted from tackle...his play doesn't match his
strength and power. I wonder about his "meanness" and intensity. Needs
coached up before he starts, more a development OG maybe. Jawuan James,
would be outstanding here, I'd love the pick, but he is far too well thought of to
be here. Some think even Dozier won't be here either. Mocks are hell that way, eh?

5th Round

Good ole Storm. He could be terrific, but I don't think he has the speed to not
be frustrated trying to get to the corner in the pros, isn't powerful, goes down
and isn't a tackle-breaker. But he's tough, and smart. More a N-S runner..?
Who knows?

Sixth Round

I did a lot of research, and this kid is a problem. The Browns are trying to BUILD a TEAM. Doesn't matter
this is late. No way taking a chance on his idiot, forget his athleticism. This would be a Savage pick.
NO.

Seventh Round

Great pick. I hadn't even heard of him...that's a kid you take a chance on !

Decent draft...

Love round 1... but then Mack and nearly anyone is a Rnd one I can love...

Don't see the trade up for another DB in round 2... seems like a luxury pick, especially given the secondary talent still expected to be on the board in round 3. But you clearly love the guy... which automatically means your judgment is suspect... It's the price of love we all pay once in a while.

Don't mind the Jimmy G pick, but just don't see the value of him with a high 2nd vs. 3rd round, or even later, QB options.

I haven't looked hard at Moncrief. The Jones pick doesn't work for me. Something is just wrong when a college LB still looking to develop "instincts".

In my mind Dozier is just another wish pick OG... There's some high quality OG talent in this draft that will be cheap in Round 2.

I just think Johnson is too slow for the NFL. If we go for a late-round back with size, I like Gaffney better and he might be around in the 6th.

Agree with cal... the character flag eliminates Lyerta.

I'd forgotten Hazel's Shrine Game showing... interesting choice there.

You guys are right abeout my over infatuation with Joyner but I just can't help it. I love the kid and he is my favorite player in this draft. The hypothetical trade I made to get him was stupid though I'll.admit.

I disagree with the knocks on Storm. He is not flashy as I said but he has instincts and burst to the ball that you cannot teach and is becoming increasingly rare in running backs these days IMO. He can catch out the backfield as well and that's pretty invaluable in a RB.

I get the slams on the Colt pick but I think you gotta taken a chance on a kid like this every now and then. People change, Christ I am living proof of that! I used to be a piece of shit too lol....

A lot of people are forgetting about Hazel. I'm hoping a lot of NFL teams are overlooking him to and we can nab him in the 7th. I think he has potential to be special.

Thanks for the comments guys. Changed my mind on the stupid move I made for Joyner, but I still am in love with him.

• 3 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 2:25 AM, GuNNerGatSKy said:

GuNNiN 4 gAtSKy's Mock 1.0

One more week gentleman and we can finally end all the speculation, bashing, and arguing over who the Browns SHOULD draft and can begin the bashing and arguing over who the Browns DID draft! I plan on doing two more mocks after this one, each exploring a different scenario of how the draft may play out. For this first mock, I am focusing on taking BPA with the focus on adding the last pieces to a potentially elite defense. With that said, the Browns begin their draft by selecting....

Round 1

#4 Khalil Mack, OLB/ILB Buffalo

IMO, if Mack is there at 4, and Farmer wants to focus on polishing off our already solid defense, Mack is the no brainer selection. He WILL have a tremendous impact on our defense. Third and long and here come Mingo, Mack, Taylor, Dez, etc. Your Shmucked Ben! Try to dip and dodge these maniacs!

Mack played a hybrid linebacker role in the Bulls' 3-4 defense, seeing time both with his hand on the ground and standing up. Possesses a strongly frame with good body thickness throughout. Outstanding take-on strength, using his powerful arms to jolt and lock out. Plays fast in pursuit with a great closing burst, smooth lateral movements with good range, surging with his hips. All in all a top end athlete with excellent potential and a near limitless ceiling. Can foresee him playing a hybrid role in Pettines defense, seeing time at ILB on running downs, OLB both with his hand in the ground and in a two point stance, and possible DE as well. Easy to see him rushing the QB from all over our front 7.

Again IMO this is yet another easy choice if available at 26. Fuller has great potential to be a shutdown, press man corner playing opposite Joe Haden.

Fuller was an All ACC performer the past three seasons. He is rangy and light footed with quick movements, capable of playing man or zone coverage. A bit of a string bean with limited room to increase strength, though plays bigger than he looks. Possesses a very physical demeanor, excellent toughnes/energy, great vertical leap, smooth hips, good route recognition, and does his homework on opposing receivers.

2nd Round

IMO Jimmy G. has a great chance to be a succesful starter in the NFL. He very easily could be our Andy Dalton,providing us with a B- quality starter while we continue to build our football team and search for a better answer. He also could very well be our Tony Romo 2.0, hopefully without the choke artist trappings of 1.0.

Jimmy broke all of Romo's school records and the majority of the Ohio Valley Conference passing records. Won yhe 2013 Walter Payton Award (FCS Heisman). Not the biggest QB and lacks a huge arm but possesses an above average understanding of offensive football, with quick eyes and touch to push the ball downfield. Live arm, experiencd directing a pass happy offense. Above average timing, quick feet to evade pressure, ability to reset when he gets happy feet, confidence in spades with a short memory, and very good overall ball placement at all levels. Will need work to continue to inprove his decision making, control his feet and mechanics, and reduce his tendecy to hold the ball to long. Ultra fast release is a major strength.

I really wanted to avoid trades but i couldnt leave this guy on the board. In my mind he is the image of what Browns player should be and a player Farmer and Pettine could fall in love with. He will most definitely push Skrine to get better, share reps with him at nickel and play dimeback, and could very well be our future FS.

Yea, I know he is 5'8, 190 lbs. BUT, he plays like he is David vs. Goliath. Plays with physicality to rival many of the bigger corners in the leauge. Possesses a thick, muscular frame and fights relentlessy, disengaging with good timing to wrap. Very smootb and fluid in space, exploding with a dynamic first step to close on plays. Strong second gear vertically, tracking the ball in the air with natural instincts in the backfield and with the ball in his hand. Injury concern due to his aggressive nature but his intensity is no negative but his greatest strength. WILL be an impact player at the next level. Kid can play ball boys. And as an added bonus he is incredible at blitzing from the CB/S position.

3rd Round

Here is our no.2 WR. Possesses near limitless potential.

Has a thick frame, deceptive speed and smooth route running, making him a nightmare for cornerbacks on gameday. Sudden in his breaks, showcasing the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage. Accelerates quickly, tracks the ball well and has great body control to make the dazzling grab. Only thing holding back is questions about his straight line speed.

The heir to Dansby's throne and someone to push Robertson and hopefully relegate him to his original 3rd down role. Great upside, kid can play ball.

Tremendous athlete with fluid footwork, able to flip hisnhips with no wasted movement. Can blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage, running like a strong safety. Uses his length and reach to disrupt timing and find the ball in coverage. Fantastic range and speed to chase and takes proper angles in pursuit. Flashes ability to take on blockers and blow past them for the big play.

Needs to work on awareness, turn his head quicker to find the ball.

4th Round

Two picks here because I have considerable doubts Dozier makes it to the fourth round. Dozier is the perfect pick to plug in at RG and solidify the right side of the line. If he is gone here, James is my next choice. In this case, we use him to push Schwartz and if James beats him out we move Schwartz inside.

These guys are pretty self explanatory. If you want some detailed scouting info on them do the research yourself!

#127 (traded)

5th Round

I truely believe Storm had alot to do with Bortles success last year. Besides, he has a badass, picture perfect name for a RB.

Not creative or elusive, he varies hia gait and reacts to the flow of defenders to pick up chunk yardage. Solid all around running back. Sturdy frame with room for additional muscle. NATURAL runner with great instincts, varying his burst to the ball with core strength to break arm tackles at LOS. Good at lowering shoulder and churning his legs. Perfect back to spell Ben Tate and contribute to the offense

Sixth Round

Yes I know Colt is a jackass with substance abuse issues. But he has tremendous upside. He is a gamble, and the sixth round is a great place to gamble on a guy like this. Do your own research if you want to know more specifics.

Seventh Round

Hazel is a small school stud I can see being a major sleeper in this draft. Not flashy at all, but he is super polished in his routes and very seasoned for an FCS prospect. He can contribute to our offense.

UDFAs:

David Fluellen, RB Toledo

Kenny Guiton, QB THE Ohio State University

Both potential sleepers/under the radar guys who could surprise. Sign them, give them a shot in camp, cut em if they suck.

Well thats it folks let me know your honest thoughts. I can take constructive criticism, provided you back it up with some evidence.

Most importantly, GO BROWNS!

I knew I remember some talk of Hazel in the past. Voila Matt Hazel is now a Brown

Archived