Scott Wright's New Mock

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Link

1. DETROIT LIONS: MATTHEW STAFFORD, QB, GEORGIA

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS: EUGENE MONROE, OT, VIRGINIA

3. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: AARON CURRY, LB, WAKE FOREST

4. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: MICHAEL CRABTREE, WR, TEXAS TECH

5. CLEVELAND BROWNS: MALCOLM JENKINS, CB, OHIO ST.

After a breakout season in 2007 the Browns were expected to be contenders in 2008 but instead they were arguably the most disappointing team in the league. The good news is they really aren't as bad as their record might otherwise suggest and they do still have a considerable amount of talent. In my opinion cornerback is far and away the Malcolm Jenkins | Ohio State Buckeyes Browns most glaring need and outside of Eric Wright they probably don't have another starting-caliber cover guy on the roster. Sorry Brandon McDonald. With that being the case Cleveland would have to be overjoyed to find Malcolm Jenkins still on the board here. Not only is Jenkins clearly the top cornerback in this draft and an excellent player but he is also a local product, having played his college ball just down the road in Columbus. Jenkins may not be the fastest corner out there but he has great size, a lot of experience, top-notch intangibles and he would be a perfect fit for the Browns. The other option for Cleveland here would be a linebacker since Willie McGinest is probably going to retire and Andra Davis is set to become an unrestricted free agent. If they did want to go in that direction Aaron Curry would make the most sense and he could play either outside or inside in their 3-4 scheme. As a darkhorse watch out for running back Beanie Wells because Jamal Lewis is going to be 30-years-old next season and he has a ton of miles on those tires.

And in Round 2:

36. CLEVELAND BROWNS: PAUL KRUGER, OLB, UTAH

Excellent pass rusher who racked up 16.5 TFL and 7.5 Sacks last season for the Utes.

And on WalterFootball...

Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

It looks like this is Aaron Curry's floor. With some projecting the top linebacker in this class to go in the top three - I don't think this will happen, based on what I said in the Rams and Chiefs write-ups - Cleveland will be thrilled if Curry falls to them.

The Browns desperately need help at inside linebacker, given that the ineffective Andra Davis is a free agent. If, for some reason, Curry is unavailable here, the Browns will likely choose between Brian Orakpo and Everette Brown, depending on who has the better Combine. Malcolm Jenkins will be considered, but No. 5 is a little too high for him.

As for the comment about him not going in the top 3....this is why

NFL Draft 
Year     No. 1     No. 2    No. 3
2008      OT         DE       QB
2007      QB         WR       OT
2006      DE         RB       QB
2005      QB         RB       WR
2004      QB         OT       WR
2003      QB         WR       WR
2002      QB         DE       QB
2001      QB         OT       DT
2000      DE         OLB      OT
1999      QB         QB       QB
1998      QB         QB       DE

Since 1998, only 1 LB was drafted in the top 3 (Julius Peppers, DE...moved to OLB). So he doesn't see another LB having much of a chance to get selected that high.

Link

And in Round 2:

Thanks for sharing the mock Aloy but if we go corner in round 1 - we're NEVER EVER EVER going to justify this freakin 3-4 defensive alignment. In fact, that would be offensive. I've seen Jenkins play and I haven't seen #5 overall talent in the guy. If he wore a Northwestern uniform they'd have him pegged for round 3.

All the teams that WANT to run the West Coast offense aim for these 2 positions: WR and QB. If you don't have these guys - no sense talking about West Coast Offense.

The SAME thing applies to defense. UNLESS they are going to go out and bring in X-factors at LBer - they're wasting everyone's time with this 3-4 defense. We've seen the 3-4 work successfully when we had Clay Matthews, Chip Banks, Eddie Johnson and Mike Johnson. We've also seen it work when we had Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Mike Caldwell, etc. Right now we have D'Qwell Jackson. That's not nearly enough.

As far as going corner in round 1, DeAngelo Hall and Pac Man Jones didn't impact their defenses at all. Tenn got better defensively as soon as he got suspended. They were actually ranked 31st overall defensively as of the first week of December in 2006. 2007 they had a playoff caliber defense and same with 2008. Pac Man went to Dallas and they missed the playoffs by getting worse on defense. Meanwhile Hall is already on his 3rd or 4th NFL team.

- Tom F.

The more and more I read regarding our options at #5, the more I want to get out of that position.

Unless we draft Crabtree (the only true game-changer out of the group we'd most likely be selecting from), getting out of there, into the teens and drafting a LB there makes way more sense.

Yeah, I wouldn't love a Jenkins pick, and I doubt Mangini, who's been getting by with retreads like Hank Poteat and Otis Smith since he was a defensive assistant with the Pats, is going to go CB. But what do I know?

And oh, how I hate when they justify the pick because a guy played for a nearby college. Who gives a shit?

I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

it seems like brown's the hot prospect at the moment, whereas orakpo was hot during the season but interest in him tapered off towards the end. brown's rise is similar to vernon gholston's last year, but nowhere near as meteoric.

Yeah, I wouldn't love a Jenkins pick, and I doubt Mangini, who's been getting by with retreads like Hank Poteat and Otis Smith since he was a defensive assistant with the Pats, is going to go CB. But what do I know?

It's also a well known fact that he loves big, physical Corners. That's why he traded up to grab Derrelle Revis.

As a matter of fact, both of the Jets corners are around 6' and over 200 lbs.

At 6'1" and just over 200 pounds and a great tackler, He's right up Mangini's alley.

I hope he doesn't go after Jenkins at #5. I think he's more of a 15 to 25 area draft pick.

brown's rise is similar to vernon gholston's last year, but nowhere near as meteoric.

Not yet.

I think Orapko overtakes Brown by the time the combine ends.

I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

I don't know....maybe they feel Brown is more the tweener to switch to 3-4 backer and Orakpo is more a 4-3 end?

The combine will shift some players....so those start in a few weeks.

Once those are over, most of the sites will end up with fairly similar boards.....not picks mind you, but the players will start to fall in to similar slots, were now you can go around and see various players pretty high one place and lower in another.

Scouting is kind of funny.....if everybody but you has a guy rated high....even if you don't agree...all of a sudden the rating changes a bit.

i agree completely on oher. he's got all the physical ability in the world but hasn't ever put it all together. i don't think he has the IQ (football nor otherwise) to properly harness his ability. someone is going to take him in the first round and be very upset in two years that they didn't go a different direction.

as good as curry's going to be, i'm starting to think that going after an ILB in FA and taking an OLB in the draft could be just as beneficial because it would still let us grab a RB in the second and would let us fill three holes instead of two.

if we get a pass rusher in FA, i'm more comfortable taking curry, but i don't know how the same guys that got only 12.5 non shaun rogers sacks last year can get more pressure when they're playing essentially the same scheme that we've seen for the past four years.

Guest Aloysius

I guess it all depends on what FA's we can afford. Don't know if we'll be in the running for guys like Bart Scott and Karlos Dansby. More likely, we'll sign an aging veteran like Barton or a modest upside guy like Ricky Brown (Raiders) or Pat Thomas (Chiefs). If that's the case, then I think you have to take Curry - he's way better than those guys.

Unfortunately, the OLB options are either ridiculously expensive (Peppers, Suggs) or old (Bertrand Berry, possibly Greg Ellis).

One more thing to ponder: our OLB's are much smaller than the guys Mangini seemed to prefer in New York. Vernon Gholton was actually the smallest guy he brought in, and he's 10 pounds & a ton of muscle bigger than Wimbley. So I'm not sure Everette Browns fits the mold. Unfortunately, intriguing Round 2/3 guys like Cody Brown (6'2", 242 lbs.) may also be out of consideration.

I think you could see us bring in a guy like Utah's Paul Kruger (6'5", 265 lbs.) in Round 2, then sign Greg Ellis (6'6", 262 lbs.) when Dallas cuts him. That would seem to fit Mangini's MO.

it's unfortunate that we're in the cap situation that we are, though i'd prefer curry to bart scott, and would say he's likely going to be at least the kind of player that dansby is.

i think it really hurts us with guys like suggs and peppers, though i think both of them are likely to be franchised by their respective teams and, in peppers' case, shipped out for picks, and, in suggs' case, signed to a large, long-term deal.

as far as size goes, larry english is 254 right now, and it seems that maualuga would have the exact kind of size that mangini wants, while frantz joseph and curry are a bit smalller than the kind of guys he likes.

it would be very frustrating to see us not upgrade the running game. two yards and a pile of shit is no way to win a game.

I'd love to see us snag a 2nd or 3rd for DA and grab 2 lbs and a powerback in the first 3 rounds and a center or guard in the 4th.

Whatever extras we can get from trading down plus whatever we've got left should be used on a developmental OT and DE.

At least that's what I'd gun for.

I saw a yahoo mock this morning that had us taking Brown and McCoy.

Browns name keeps popping up and nobody around here seems very excited about it...I think we may have to wrap our arms around that.

More and more it looks like KC is going with Curry.

Just something about Brown I can't get all fired up about.....but everywhere you go his name is at the top of the draft boards.

I just don't know what to think. ??

I think Brown is terrific, but I think that of Curry and Orakpo and Raji as a pick, too.

McCoy over Victor Harris or Sean Smith, the cb's ? No way. McCoy over a big quality ROG or RT ? Nope.

A change of pace back is already Harrison:

But many scouts are mixed on McCoy. He has decent instincts and is certainly sporting a nice mixture of size and speed. It also takes a lot to knock him down. On many occasions, his superb balance and control have kept McCoy upright when most backs would be lying on the ground. But he does not run between the tackles very well or often.

While not running between the tackles is a concern for most starting backs, that does not mean McCoy can not find a place in the NFL. In this day and age of multiple running backs, he can be a great change of pace back who can run to the outside and catch the ball out of the backfield. If he tests well at the combine McCoy could be a first day selection this year.

Guest Aloysius
as far as size goes, larry english is 254 right now, and it seems that maualuga would have the exact kind of size that mangini wants, while frantz joseph and curry are a bit smalller than the kind of guys he likes.

I think Curry & Joseph are fine; it's more the OLB's that Mangini likes big. David Harris is listed at 6'2", 243 lbs. (same size as Joseph, smaller than Curry) and Eric Barton's 6'2", 245 lbs.

Archived