THE BROWNS BOARD

Team Cleveland Shirt

cambridgeho

OK....this fact I don't not know about Browns history, but I'd like to because I hate the thing (just being honest). Were did the little elf lookin thing come from?

OK....this fact I don't not know about Browns history, but I'd like to because I hate the thing (just being honest). Were did the little elf lookin thing come from?

http://www.clevescene.com/64-and-counting/archives/2009/11/18/a-little-history-of-brownie-the-elf

Some hate him, I happen to think he's way cool. With the plain helmets Brownie is sort of the unofficial mascot. Some even claim the Browns went in the toilet when Modell ditched him. used to be a 30' Elf outside the Stadium back in the 60s.

cleveland-browns-elf-logo-500x374.jpg

wikipedia stuff on it:

A brownie/brounie or urisk (Lowland Scots) or brùnaidh, ùruisg, or gruagach (Scottish Gaelic) is a legendary creature popular in folklore around Scotland and England (especially the north, though more commonly hobs have this role). It is the Scottish and Northern English counterpart of the Scandinavian tomte, the Slavic domovoi and the German Heinzelmännchen.

The Cleveland Browns occasional mascot is named "Brownie" (sometimes called "Brownie the Elf") and resembles the creatures from folklore of the same name.[8]

Cleveland_Browns_game_program_September_

The official program for the Cleveland Browns' first game, played in September 1946 against the Miami Seahawks.

used to be a 30' Elf outside the Stadium back in the 60s.

When Dad took me to games in the 60's, on the walk down to old Muni from Public Square I always strained to be the first to see that big elf. Usually did atop a huge flight of stairs somewhere around the backside of City Hall I believe. Seeing that elf made it "gameday".

As for the T-shirt.... no... I see no need to add the burden of the Cavs and Indians to Brownie.

Archived