THE BROWNS BOARD

American Suicide Bomber in Syria

State Department confirms American suicide bomber in Syria

Published May 31, 2014

BomberSyria1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

A widely circulated photo purportedly shows the American suicide bomber in Syria.

The State Department confirmed Friday that an American man named Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha launched a suicide bombing against Syrian government troops Sunday, an attack believed to be linked to an Al Qaeda-backed militant group.

Spokeswoman Jen Psaki confirmed the man's name in a statement to the Associated Press Friday, but did not provide other details. Earlier, Psaki said Abu-Salha was thought to be the first U.S. citizen to be involved in a suicide bombing in Syria's three-year civil war and was also known as “al-Amriki,” which means “the American” in Arabic.

The Miami Herald, citing law enforcement officials, reported Friday that the 22-year-old lived at some point in Fort Pierce, located about 130 miles north of Miami, and played high school basketball in Vero Beach.

Basketball statistics posted on a youth sports website show Abusalha played in 2007 for the Indian River Warriors, a team based in Vero Beach, the Herald reported. Records show his parents have lived there and owned several grocery stores along the Treasure Coast.

The New York Times reported that Abu-Salha is believed to have traveled to Syria late last year, and spent time in a training camp for Nusra Front, a group linked to Al Qaeda.

The officials said they made the identification without any examining any remains, and do not believe much is left of the body due to the nature of the attack.

According to the Times, Abu-Salha used a large truck to help carry out the bombing outside a restaurant in the government-held northwestern city of Idlib.

It's unknown how many people Abu-Salha killed in the bombing. Opposition rebels with Nusra Front said his truck was laden with 16 tons of explosives to tear down the al-Fanar restaurant in Idlib, a gathering site for Syrian troops.

An anti-government activist in Syria told the Times Abu-Salha spoke Arabic poorly, but was dedicated to the jihadist cause.

“He was a generous, brave, tough man, always on the front lines in battles,” the activist said.

He said that when it was time for the American to carry out the suicide attack, he was “was very happy, because he will meet his God after that."

Asaad Kanjo, an opposition activist based in the town of Saraqeb in Idlib province, told the Associated Press he heard that Abu-Salha arrived in Syria a few months ago and tore up his American passport upon arrival.

Kanjo said even a local commander with the Nusra Front was surprised to learn about Abu-Salha, quoting him as saying that people do all they can to try go to the U.S. to get an American passport, and this man came here and got rid of his.

"From what I heard, I believe he was an American of Arab origin. People said that he spoke Arabic with a foreign accent, and he used to speak classical Arabic," Kanjo said.

He added that Abu-Salha was a member of the Nusra Front but was not a commander. "Most probably he came to carry out this attack," Kanjo said.

The Times reported the civil war playing out in the country has attracted multiple Westerners to fight against Syrian President Bashar Assad. Officials told the paper more than 70 Americans have traveled to the country to fight.

The truck bombing by Abu-Salha was one of four by suicide bombers who attacked over the course of a day in the area in Idlib province.

Fox News' Catherine Herridge, Shayla Bezdrob and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

That is actually heartbreaking. Look at this kid. Smiling and petting a kitten. What would fuck your life up so badly you'd want to kill yourself for any stupid cause?

WSS

Religion

It's great!

It was religion in this case. The guy said "was very happy, because he will meet his God after that.". Yes he was messed up and his beliefs made it worse

It was religion in this case. The guy said "was very happy, because he will meet his God after that.". Yes he was messed up and his beliefs made it worse

I can keep repeating that the kid was fucked up. If you think eliminating religion burning down every church and executing priests rabbis and mullas will make the world a happy peaceful place fair enough.

And if you blame religion for this then you must blame love for the California murder. Unless you think he might be fucked up to....

WSS

No, eliminating religion in the world will not cause world peace.

... it would help eliminate the most of the people committing crime in the name of religion.

(it would also help add some money to the economy. No more funds going to the collection bin that will just be used to run the church/mosque/etc. Also, you could use the now open land for something that would actually pay taxes)

The anti-religion crowd is fond of picking on all the bad things people do in the name of religion but not noticing the good things people do in the name of religion. Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people. Fucked up people will do evil in the name of it, and good people will do good in the name of it.

Eliminating religion will do nothing, because people will always look for a justification for their actions. Without religion they will just do it in the name of political ideology or some other scapegoat.

I didn't say religion should be eliminated. It seems to serve a purpose ( for good ) for most that believe in it.

But its system of belief's and faith based actions has been the basis of more death and destruction then most anything man has ever invented. About the only thing that compares to it, in terms of devastation, is the planet itself.

Thats not how Florida Al Syria just did it.

Dude get your head out if your ass. This guy used a suicide bomb. If there were a huge problem with people suicide bombing schools and workplaces in America I would agree that it is the same problem guns are here. But it's not. Go ahead and try to buy explosives. Really. Go for it. The fbi will quite likely be up your asshole in about five minutes. Now try to buy some guns. No problemo, hombre. You'll never get the point though, because you're so incredibly fearful that gun control will cause you to lose something. Personally as a law abiding citizen I don't mind jumping through an extra hoop if it means maybe elliot Rodger is denied when he shows up at the gun store.

No, eliminating religion in the world will not cause world peace.

... it would help eliminate the most of the people committing crime in the name of religion.

(it would also help add some money to the economy. No more funds going to the collection bin that will just be used to run the church/mosque/etc. Also, you could use the now open land for something that would actually pay taxes)

You too woody....if you're going to blame religion, be specific.

Bet you're disappointed this American wasn't a Christian, right woody?

Religion does have some positives. For some people it is good for them to have faith in something. Something to give them reassurance. Some people also donate to charity through their religion and some religious institutions do various things to support the community.

I don't think that ways out the negatives though. Religion helps hold the advancement of society back. It shuns progression in society by clinging to stories and beliefs in various ancient texts (Don't eat from the tree of knowledge). Religion also serves as the outlet for various attacks and plenty of wars throughout history. One person believing in a different invisible man in the sky than another just gives them a reason to hate each other.

Yes, bad people will still do bad things. Religious conflicts and differences, and their belief that their fictional story is the right one (so they believe they are doing this for "eternal" salvation or something), can give people more than enough motivation to do bad things. War, killing, shunning others, etc etc. They actually believe what they are doing will affect their afterlife, making it even more convincing.

On the flip side, some of the truly good people in this world will still find ways to be good without the veil of religion. They will still help the poor and donate to charities. That is assuming they do what they do because they are actually a good person, not just because they are being promised heaven (or scared of hell).

We'd be better off as a society without religion. It produces radicals that damage our species as a whole. Even outside of these radicals and the physical conflicts, it serves as a cancer on society. It hinders intellectual progression. This old book is right, not what we have learned through modern processes. That is more dangerous than anything else.

At least religion is losing its power over society. More and more people are choosing to think for themselves. Maybe one day it will be a thing of the past.

What a bunch of arrogant, childish, warped drivel. Even worse, you intertwine

the meaning of "religion" and "spirituality", with no idea

that you are.

Just another lib thing - ridicule anybody who doesn't believe like you believe, and

somehow think that "soon", everybody will be like you.

Weird, in a sad way. Although, you did elaborate on your bigotry, who

you really are.

blech.

that you are.

Just another lib thing - ridicule anybody who doesn't believe like you believe, and

you really are.

blech.

Obama was elected twice and you don't think that the U.S. is changing?

that you are.

you really are.

blech.

Insightful post. Didn't really add anything, but whatever. I know "facts" and "reason" and "common sense" aren't a big part of your argument when it comes to religion.

I don't think that soon everyone will be like me. I never said that. I can point to plenty of studies that show religion is becoming less and less important in everyday life. A lot of the people that still are religious, you know what they are? Old. My generation isn't huge on the whole "worship this fairy tale story book" thing. Outdated ideals die out with older generations. I'm sure something similar will happen when I'm older. I just hope I'm not clinging to the past like an idiot when I am that age.

Obama was elected twice and you don't think that the U.S. is changing?

Change is bad and scary. The USA should go back to how it was in the 50s. Everything was perfect then. Yep, no complaints. No one anywhere, of any race, ethnicity or gender had any complaints... yep...

Reagan and Bush were elected twice. Don

't you see that as America changing?

Gloat over ObaMao's presidential wins?

I keep telling you, the pendulum swings back and forth.

Reagan, Bush.....Clinton....Obamao.

Look back at historical changes from conservative to liberal presidents.

Perhaps after a conservative pres gets elected, you will finally get it.

After Clinton, Shep and others would valiantly claim that the republicans were

done for.

Oops. That pendulum swung again. America wasn't intrigued with a wishy-washy screwball (McCain),

and the next guy to run for pres, who had a public persona like an old dress shoe.

Meanwhile, Obamao has failed and failed, the scandals are mounting up...and not one word from dems.

America wasn't intrigued with a wishy-washy screwball (McCain),

and the next guy to run for pres, who had a public persona like an old dress shoe.

At least you got that part right. Though you forgot to mention Palin as VP being the nail in the coffin

Reagan and Bush were elected twice. Don

't you see that as America changing?

Gloat over ObaMao's presidential wins?

I keep telling you, the pendulum swings back and forth.

Reagan, Bush.....Clinton....Obamao.

Look back at historical changes from conservative to liberal presidents.

Perhaps after a conservative pres gets elected, you will finally get it.

After Clinton, Shep and others would valiantly claim that the republicans were

done for.

Oops. That pendulum swung again. America wasn't intrigued with a wishy-washy screwball (McCain),

Meanwhile, Obamao has failed and failed, the scandals are mounting up...and not one word from dems.

It wasn't an endorsement of Obama I was giving. I am just saying that the U.S. is moving in a new direction. If the Republican party wants to focus on social conservatism they will not win the presidency again for awhile. If they can retool and focus on actual issues, they can compete again.

J59ylpr.jpg

I loved Rust, my favorite character from that show, but most religious people I know who do good do it simply to do good. It isn't the motivation for goodness, it's the channel they use.

And with respect, Woody, how would we know if what good people do in the name of religion outweighs or is less than the bad? All we know is what we are exposed to. Do you think the media portrayal of good vs bad deeds is in lock step with reality? I certainly don't. For example, If 3 billion Muslims acted as the media portrayed, there would be no planet left.

Archived