THE BROWNS BOARD

American Suicide Bomber in Syria

There's seems to be a lot more bad throughout human history in the name of religion then good in the name of religion.

But like I said, the real damage is done from religion by it hindering the progression of society. From Galileo to the Westboro Baptist Church. We have people in the US that legitimately believe the Earth is 6,000 years old because that is what a book says that they just so happened to grow up with. We have a "Creationist Museum" that does damage to every child that walks through there. That is the real negative to religion in my eyes.

GoGodGoXII13.jpg

Cartman: Wait... Isn't... everybody at war over atheism?

Shvek: Atheism? No. We've learned to get rid of all the isms in our time.

Medic: Yes. Long ago we realized isms are great for those who are rational, but in the hands of irrational people, isms always lead to violence.

Cartman: So there is no war now in the future.

Blavius: Of course there's war. The stupid French-Chinese think they have a right to Hawaii.

There's seems to be a lot more bad throughout human history in the name of religion then good in the name of religion.

But like I said, the real damage is done from religion by it hindering the progression of society. From Galileo to the Westboro Baptist Church. We have people in the US that legitimately believe the Earth is 6,000 years old because that is what a book says that they just so happened to grow up with. We have a "Creationist Museum" that does damage to every child that walks through there. That is the real negative to religion in my eyes.

I think you are using the terms Christianity and religion interchangeably. Not all religious traditions are antagonistic with science, and in fact some are complementary as the pursuit of knowledge is considered a sacred duty in some faiths. In fact, in my opinion, anyone whose faith can be threatened by scientific revelation ought to reconsider what they believe.

You do have a point there. 99% of the religion I see in my daily life is Christianity. And that isn't to say they all shun science from their lives. It isn't like they all believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. There are probably a few religions that embrace knowledge. Also, the further away you get from literal and complete belief, the better too probably.

Any religion that puts what human's believed one hundred years ago above the advancements we have made now, is limiting our process as a society. That includes a lot of religions. Some may be worse than others here, for sure.

Dude get your head out if your ass. This guy used a suicide bomb. If there were a huge problem with people suicide bombing schools and workplaces in America I would agree that it is the same problem guns are here. But it's not. Go ahead and try to buy explosives. Really. Go for it. The fbi will quite likely be up your asshole in about five minutes. Now try to buy some guns. No problemo, hombre. You'll never get the point though, because you're so incredibly fearful that gun control will cause you to lose something. Personally as a law abiding citizen I don't mind jumping through an extra hoop if it means maybe elliot Rodger is denied when he shows up at the gun store.

Seriously... Boston Marathon Bombing.. where was the FBI before they went off.

You do have a point there. 99% of the religion I see in my daily life is Christianity. And that isn't to say they all shun science from their lives. It isn't like they all believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. There are probably a few religions that embrace knowledge. Also, the further away you get from literal and complete belief, the better too probably.

Any religion that puts what human's believed one hundred years ago above the advancements we have made now, is limiting our process as a society. That includes a lot of religions. Some may be worse than others here, for sure.

One thing that most people need to realize is that most of the Christian nuts you see on TV, are nuts and that is who the media goes after to portray. Watch Bill Maher's Religulous. Bill Maher show cases the worst of the worst. Yet there are millions of credible Christians that if Bill where to debate, he would be get his ass handed to him.

One thing that most people need to realize is that most of the Christian nuts you see on TV, are nuts and that is who the media goes after to portray. Watch Bill Maher's Religulous. Bill Maher show cases the worst of the worst. Yet there are millions of credible Christians that if Bill where to debate, he would be get his ass handed to him.

Which is exactly what the media does with Muslims, too.

I have watched that movie, it is pretty hilarious.

They don't have to be a nut to exhibit characteristics I think we'd be better off as a society without

How would a credible Christian hand Bill's ass to him in a debate?

That movie could have conveyed such an effective message, instead he used it to belittle the people who were on it. This interview was golden though. And for what it's worth, I agree with Maher's ideas on the 10 commandments - only two of them are actually laws.

I have watched that movie, it is pretty hilarious.

They don't have to be a nut to exhibit characteristics I think we'd be better off as a society without

How would a credible Christian hand Bill's ass to him in a debate?

Because most of the stuff that Bill argues are cliche and hyperbole. For example. Many Christians have a hard time separating the OT and NT. Because it’s in the Bible, then it has to be the Word of God, and therefore all things applicable. But the vast majority of Christians, especially those that Bill seems to focus on, have no idea how to explain why they believe what they believe. So Bill will ask them a difficult question about some moral or ethical issue and then say well God did this in the OT which is against what you just said you don’t believe in. Then, they give some dumb, red-neck-bible-belt-answer that makes them look, well, ridiculous or intolerant. Typically those tough questions require more than just a quip of an answer from some unedumacated hillbilly that likes to hold onto snakes.

Then, Bill likes to group all believers into this ridiculous camp he’s created out of a horrible stereotype that people carry with them into the interwebz and forums.

And to this, you are very correct.

There have been many things done under the banner of Christ and Christianity that are reprehensible. When Christians say that we were founded as a Christian nation I cringe because they are ignorant and haven’t really studied all the things done under the name of Christianity.

IMO, the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) has done more damage than any other religious organization. I’m sorry if this offends any Catholics because there are genuinely good Catholics, but the leadership going back all the way to 3 and 4 centuries has sequestered information, manipulated the masses while keeping scripture under lock and key and being the only ones allowed to read and interpret the passages. The effects of the RCC are still with us today. However, it is getting better as more and more people seek to understand the ministry of Christ while throwing away all the man-made BS that the RCC heaped on top.

That guy that has the museum. He is so frickin’ misguided I want to slap him. First, whether you believe in Creationism or Evolution or a mix of both (and there are plenty of Christians who do) it has no importance on where you will spend your afterlife. NONE. If this Hamm guy (Creation museum owner) would dedicate, instead his time and efforts, on proving the existence of Jesus and the Gospel he would be doing a lot more for Christianity. But nope, he would rather engage in stupid arguments that does nothing to advance the Gospel of Christ.

They also do not help to advance our country's scientific literacy

Uh.. I believe that would be a stretch. I'm not sure you can pin that on religion today. Back in Galileo's time certainly, the RCC ruled. Any stats, or valid literary essays or professional journalism to back that up?

Uh.. I believe that would be a stretch. I'm not sure you can pin that on religion today. Back in Galileo's time certainly, the RCC ruled. Any stats, or valid literary essays or professional journalism to back that up?

The fact that we actually had a "debate" between evolution and creationism did us no good as a society. Someone may look at that and think the two options are equally valid or have equal supporting evidence. Children will go to his museum and think everything they are seeing is fact. None of that helps.

Archived