THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio Bill Would Restrict Abortion and Birth Control

Osiris

Since I imagine many of you live in Ohio I thought this would be interesting to discuss. I get not having an anything goes policy regarding abortion, but denying rape and incest victims seems a bit much, as does risking the mother's life. What say you all?

-------------

Ohio bill would restrict abortion coverage.

By Kristen Mitchell

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH Wednesday June 4, 2014

Ohio might make it illegal for insurance to cover abortions, even in cases of rape, incest and when pregnancy threatens a mothers life.

The first hearing for House Bill 351 was held yesterday.

The only exception allowed in the bill, which would affect all insurance policies that cover Ohioans, is in cases of ectopic, or tubal, pregnancies.

The bill also would ban insurance coverage for public employees as well as those on Medicaid for birth control that prevents the implantation of a fertilized egg, such as intrauterine devices, known as IUDs.

During testimony, Rep. John Becker, a suburban Cincinnati Republican who sponsored the bill, acknowledged that the wording can be interpreted to include birth-control pills, which he said wasnt his intention. An amendment could be introduced to clarify that point, he said.

When it came to IUDs, which are plastic devices implanted into a woman, Becker said they should be included in the ban because they prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg, meaning they can be considered an abortion.

This is just a personal view. Im not a medical doctor, Becker said.

Rep. John Carney, D-Columbus, disagreed, and said that its just a fact that an IUD doesnt cause an abortion. He said he found the bill to be very disrespectful to the women of our state.

According to Planned Parenthood, which provides womens health-care services such as access to abortions and contraception, an in-clinic abortion can cost between $300 and $950 in the first trimester.

The bill would eliminate a provision that allows insurance to provide abortion coverage for women in the case of rape and incest, a choice that Carney said should be made by doctors and not bureaucrats.

However, Becker said the right to life of the fertilized egg or fetus trumps those other issues and that rapists should be executed, not the human products of rape.

A representative from Planned Parenthood said in a statement that lawmakers need to stop putting womens health at risk by attempting to restrict access.

Every day in this state, women face the complex decision of whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or raise a child, said Stephanie Kight, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Ohio president and CEO. When they need guidance, women turn to their family members, their faith leaders and their health-care providers. They dont turn to their legislators. Politicians have no place in this decision-making process, and that includes using financial restrictions to force a womans decision.

According to data from the Ohio Department of Health, 1 in 7 women who obtained an abortion in 2012 was younger than 20. The number of abortions reported in the state was more than 25,000.

Earlier this year, Michigan banned abortion coverage in the private marketplace without an additional rider, which must be purchased ahead of time.

The idea was labeled rape insurance by Democrats.

The Ohio bill would prohibit those who would be receiving money from state or local funds from purchasing riders.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in rape and incest it is justified as long as it is proven and done quickly. Otherwise, no.

sometimes there isn't quick proof in those cases. Also wouldn't some women just claim rape to get the abortion?

sometimes there isn't quick proof in those cases. Also wouldn't some women just claim rape to get the abortion?

I'm not sure how easy it is make a credible claim unless it really happened. I mean there is usually physical evidence of rape (bruising, cuts, scratches) that wouldn't be there between consenting adults.

I'm not sure how easy it is make a credible claim unless it really happened. I mean there is usually physical evidence of rape (bruising, cuts, scratches) that wouldn't be there between consenting adults.

a women could bruise cut or scratch herself

I love this:

"This is just a personal view. Im not a medical doctor, Becker said."

Yet he feels empowered to make decisions (via this bill)with enormous medical ramifications to every woman in the state of Ohio...

I suppose, but forensic scientists have some really clever ways to analyze wounds based on their angle and size and such that can tell if she'd done it to herself or someone else did. Yes, she could pay someone to beat her, too, but really that kind of person would be the exception not the rule. It'd be easier to just travel to a state that allows abortion.

I suppose, but forensic scientists have some really clever ways to analyze wounds based on their angle and size and such that can tell if she'd done it to herself or someone else did. Yes, she could pay someone to beat her, too, but really that kind of person would be the exception not the rule. It'd be easier to just travel to a state that allows abortion.

That is true

Every day in this state, women face the complex decision of whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or raise a child, said Stephanie Kight, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Ohio president and CEO. When they need guidance, women turn to their family members, their faith leaders and their health-care providers. They dont turn to their legislators. Politicians have no place in this decision-making process, and that includes using financial restrictions to force a womans decision

this my AGE OLD question, where are the men in these cases?

they are equally responsible - if not more so to care for the(ir) family....

Par for the course after one of woody's hot nights of rough trade.....

WSS

:)

Or the rapist could threaten her with a gun knife or bodily harm if she didn't cooperate.

But pretend for a minute that you believed that abortion (at some point) is murder.

Why would that baby deserve the death penalty?

WSS

Or the rapist could threaten her with a gun knife or bodily harm if she didn't cooperate.

But pretend for a minute that you believed that abortion (at some point) is murder.

Why would that baby deserve the death penalty?

WSS

I think the "at some point" is the critical thing. At what point is abortion murder? I certainly don't want to see any abortions after the first trimester. I also don't want to see an outright ban.

Will insurance cover birth control? In all but pretty extreme cases abortions are elective procedures borne of irresponsibility. The term abortion itself carries a stigma. In legitimate cases a woman would receive a d and c. A doctor performing such a procedure would, I think, know better than to refer to it as an abortion.

Will insurance cover birth control? In all but pretty extreme cases abortions are elective procedures borne of irresponsibility. The term abortion itself carries a stigma. In legitimate cases a woman would receive a d and c. A doctor performing such a procedure would, I think, know better than to refer to it as an abortion.

Data to support that claim?

I think the "at some point" is the critical thing. At what point is abortion murder? I certainly don't want to see any abortions after the first trimester. I also don't want to see an outright ban.

You tell me.

At present the federal statute is anytime any reason.

But what time you select comes again is the child deserving of death? To punish it's rapist father?

WSS

The most ridiculous thing here is his belief that using an IUD is like getting an abortion... are you fucking kidding me.

I don't think this guy has any clue how an IUD works. But then again, he isn't a "medical doctor".

The fact we have people like this making health related laws, and people on our science committee that think evolution is a "lie from the pit of hell" says something about our country.

You think most abortions are the product of rape and incest? Data to support that claim is common sense.

I never said that.

You said "in all but extreme cases" that abortions happen because the mother was irresponsible. That wording makes it sound like a very high number. Irresponsible sounds like they used no contraception.

You realize there is a failure rate, correct?

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/two-thirds-of-women-seeking-abortions-were-using-contraception-britains-lar

Here, an abortion provider in Britain, 66% of women getting an abortion there were using some form of contraception at the time. I found one study for the US that had the number at 50%.

That doesn't sound like a high number of people being irresponsible to me.

When it came to IUDs, which are plastic devices implanted into a woman, Becker said they should be included in the ban because they prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg, meaning they can be considered an abortion.

And so you're going to ban condoms, the pill, copper crosses and basically every other form of contraception because it's pre-meditated abortion/murder?

Tell you what guys, I'll dangle a fertilized egg on a petri dish, and a baby, and you get to decide which one I don't drop. How long did that decision take?

Yes, there's a point where it starts to become harder to distinguish between the two - and wouldn't you know it, that's about the time at which abortion becomes illegal over here too.

So let's say everybody take a guess at the number of pregnancies that are due to rape, incest and failure of properly used birth control.

I don't know personally, maybe we could find out but I would assume it's a very tiny fraction.

Also would anyone care to take a guess add the availability of free birth control and abortions?

( Before we take up torches and pitchforks and march on Columbus)

WSS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-claim-that-the-incidence-of-rape-resulting-in-pregnancy-is-very-low/2013/06/12/936bc45e-d3ad-11e2-8cbe-1bcbee06f8f8_blog.html

If we are to assume that these are all actual forcible rape.

I might possibly exclude the cases in which she was drunk or high or misrepresenting the facts.

But I don't have that data. Nor do I have the percentage of statutory.

Another good reason to have DNA on file for every American.

WSS

They also have the morning after pill that is available to even minors without parental consent if I'm not mistaken.

And it should be used where possible. But it's not always available, not always known that it's needed.

So let's say everybody take a guess at the number of pregnancies that are due to rape, incest and failure of properly used birth control.

I don't know personally, maybe we could find out but I would assume it's a very tiny fraction.

Also would anyone care to take a guess add the availability of free birth control and abortions?

( Before we take up torches and pitchforks and march on Columbus)

WSS

A few studies I Googled just now said about 5% of rape victims (reported) become pregnant. Another study had a raw number of 32,000 women. I'm not sure why it matters though. Regardless of the number, no woman should be forced to carry an embryo that was a result of rape. I think the best case scenario is that any such pregnancy would be terminated very early, like within the first 6 weeks.

A few studies I Googled just now said about 5% of rape victims (reported) become pregnant. Another study had a raw number of 32,000 women. I'm not sure why it matters though. Regardless of the number, no woman should be forced to carry an embryo that was a result of rape. I think the best case scenario is that any such pregnancy would be terminated very early, like within the first 6 weeks.

In which case the entire time frame or whether or not its rape is completely unimportant. So where's the problem?

WSS

If the woman in question is on the pill and makes her sexual partners use a condom and has plan b available to her and still needs an abortion? The fetus is probably Jesus and you should leave it be.

If using the pill and a condom, you can safely bet she's not expecting to get pregnant, while taking beyond the reasonable measures to avoid it. If she gets pregnant she may not realise for weeks/months, at which point morning after pill is no use, and abortion is the only option.

Archived