THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio Bill Would Restrict Abortion and Birth Control

Osiris

That's the failure rate - not the proportion of abortions made up of failed contraceptives. Not saying that's necessarily a big number, mind, just that given the amount of people having sex every week - pucking a number out of my arse for demonstrative purposes, 1 in 5 people? about 60 million then - if 10% of that results in contraceptive failure then that's 6 million unplanned pregnancies every week where they took reasonable measures to prevent it.

That number sounds a little high, though, so I suspect the number of people having sex is much lower, which is a depressing thought.

Noted. Woody was making the point that contraceptive failures not ignorance was a reason for abortion. Agreement or disagreement with that reason aside, I was providing evidence that contraceptive failure rate isn't as high as he thinks.

And yes, horribly depressing. Thanks for ruining my morning.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noted. Woody was making the point that contraceptive failures not ignorance was a reason for abortion. Agreement or disagreement with that reason aside, I was providing evidence that contraceptive failure rate isn't as high as he thinks.

I maintain the root is pure irresponsibility. Come on guys. At least be honest about it.

WSS

I maintain the root is pure irresponsibility. Come on guys. At least be honest about it.

WSS

What's the irresponsible part? OK, unprotected sex is stupid, particularly with someone you barely know, for a number of reasons. But is it irresponsible to use a condom to prevent having a baby? Is it irresponsible to use a morning after pill? Is it irresponsible to have an abortion a week later?

I get what you're saying, and for some it comes down to stupidity, but believe me (personal experience) people don't make those mistakes twice.

What's the irresponsible part? OK, unprotected sex is stupid, particularly with someone you barely know, for a number of reasons. But is it irresponsible to use a condom to prevent having a baby? Is it irresponsible to use a morning after pill? Is it irresponsible to have an abortion a week later?

I get what you're saying, and for some it comes down to stupidity, but believe me (personal experience) people don't make those mistakes twice.

I think you know exactly what I mean. Unprotected sex with someone you don't really care about.

And sure there are times people use protection to the best of their ability and it fails. There are also times someone might be thrown clear of an auto accident if you don't use a seatbelt.

But since despite the hand wringing of the left abortion is still widely available and cheap if not free.

I think the sex drive is pretty hard to overcome with reasonable forethought.

WSS

Those numbers I posted weren't contraceptive failure rates. They were the number of people getting abortions that used contraception. I know what I posted...

You can be completely responsible, have zero "ignorance", and still get pregnant. I see no reason why you would force the pregnancy and child on that person.

Completely off-topic but did you go through a STEM program? Just wondering because we got my son into our towns first STEM school. He will be the first class to go through the program.

What is a STEM program? I just went through public school (Strongsville) and took pretty much every Honors and AP course. I'm curious though, what is in the STEM program?

What is a STEM program? I just went through public school (Strongsville) and took pretty much every Honors and AP course. I'm curious though, what is in the STEM program?

Oh I thought that's what you and Cysko meant when you said STEM. Anyway, in educational context, it stands for Science Technology Engineering and Math. These four things are the core of the curriculum and it's designed to focus on that from the ground up from a very early age. So my kid is starting at the Kindergarten level. There is a focus on project based and experimental learning to go alongside classroom stuff. So instead of just teaching math on a chalkboard, they will learn it in the course of say, designing a model house or something.

The end result is that about twice as many kids coming from STEM schools go on to work in one of those fields as compared to the standard system.

Oh I thought that's what you and Cysko meant when you said STEM. Anyway, in educational context, it stands for Science Technology Engineering and Math. These four things are the core of the curriculum and it's designed to focus on that from the ground up from a very early age. So my kid is starting at the Kindergarten level. There is a focus on project based and experimental learning to go alongside classroom stuff. So instead of just teaching math on a chalkboard, they will learn it in the course of say, designing a model house or something.

The end result is that about twice as many kids coming from STEM schools go on to work in one of those fields as compared to the standard system.

That's pretty awesome. That would have been cool to do as a kid. I would just hope it doesn't focus too heavily on those subjects and leave out others (even if I think those are the most important) and I would hope it doesn't isolate him from the rest of his classmates. I was able to go to join an "advanced" group at another elementary school in Strongsville if I wanted to when I was younger, but I heard all of those kids were weird and stuck up so I didn't. Now that wasn't true, at lot of my best friends from HS came from there. At the same time though, a lot of the weirdest kids in the school did too. I think it is just a byproduct of being away from the other students all day and being treated like you're special or something. Of course by the time the end of HS came around I was seeing the same group of kids in almost all of my classes haha.

It sounds like a cool program though. Building that kind of understanding at a young age is a fantastic idea. He or she will probably be way ahead by the time high school rolls around. You just have to hope the HS has enough advanced courses (Honors, AP, post secondary, IB, w/e) so the your kid doesn't get bored.

But I was just using it in the context of a STEM major. So any major within science, technology, engineering and math. With there being "soft" STEM and "hard" STEM degrees as well.

You hear all the time there aren't enough engineers (and some other STEM majors) to meet demand in the US. Job security is great in this field. A lot of kids just bail because it is too hard. Bringing up more kids to follow this path would be great. Especially females, colleges fucking love females in engineering.

That's pretty awesome. That would have been cool to do as a kid. I would just hope it doesn't focus too heavily on those subjects and leave out others (even if I think those are the most important) and I would hope it doesn't isolate him from the rest of his classmates. I was able to go to join an "advanced" group at another elementary school in Strongsville if I wanted to when I was younger, but I heard all of those kids were weird and stuck up so I didn't. Now that wasn't true, at lot of my best friends from HS came from there. At the same time though, a lot of the weirdest kids in the school did too. I think it is just a byproduct of being away from the other students all day and being treated like you're special or something. Of course by the time the end of HS came around I was seeing the same group of kids in almost all of my classes haha.

It sounds like a cool program though. Building that kind of understanding at a young age is a fantastic idea. He or she will probably be way ahead by the time high school rolls around. You just have to hope the HS has enough advanced courses (Honors, AP, post secondary, IB, w/e) so the your kid doesn't get bored.

But I was just using it in the context of a STEM major. So any major within science, technology, engineering and math. With there being "soft" STEM and "hard" STEM degrees as well.

You hear all the time there aren't enough engineers (and some other STEM majors) to meet demand in the US. Job security is great in this field. A lot of kids just bail because it is too hard. Bringing up more kids to follow this path would be great. Especially females, colleges fucking love females in engineering.

Yeah actually here they call it STEAM not STEM. That A stands for arts. And it makes up 40% of their day, so their is still time for the other things. He won't be isolated because it is a new school devoted entirely to STEAM, and he is one of 80 kids that will be attending as the first class. So there won't be any other grades above them, and as they move, new STEAM kids will be enrolled in the grades beneath them.

The other great thing for us is our town is a school choice town, meaning we were able to choose that school even though it isn't in our district. On top of that, younger siblings automatically get into the school their older siblings got into, so that means my daughter will go there too. Who knows, maybe she'll go into engineering and get into MIT!

Archived