THE BROWNS BOARD

Thomas Jefferson and our 2nd Amendment and other important quotes

calfoxwc

Enough with the mistruths about our right to bear arms:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764. That was 230 years ago. -Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves;
that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom
of the press." Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.-Thomas Jefferson

Power is not alluring to pure minds.-Thomas Jefferson

Most bad government has grown out of too much government.-Thomas Jefferson

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?-Thomas Jefferson

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.-Thomas Jefferson

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.-Thomas Jefferson

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.-Thomas Jefferson

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.-Thomas Jefferson

A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.-Thomas Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.-Thomas Jefferson

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of mistruths....

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/spurious-quotations <--- Spurious Quotations: A collection of quotations commonly misattributed to Thomas Jefferson.

How many from Cal's list can YOU find on here boys and girls???

I found 4, and I wasn't even looking super hard, lol.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/democracy-will-cease-to-exist-quotation

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/beauty-second-amendment-quotation

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/strongest-reason-people-to-retain-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms-quotation

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/government-big-enough-to-give-you-everything-you-wantquotation

If anyone else can add to this list, go for it

I'm sure they all looked real convincing in that chain email from RealAmericanPatriotJesusLovers.com though Cal.....

Dang. I wish woodypeckerhead would be as critical of all of Obamao's lies.

But alas, he's a political bigot who rejects science if it doesn't suit his stupidity.

I still like it. I think Jefferson thought it, just didn't write it down.

8C7Rk.jpg

You can "think" whatever you like, that doesn't make it true. For example, a good number of these quotes.

I'm critical of YOUR lies, or the ones others made up and you pass on as truth.

Nice attempt at trying to back out of this though. Mention Obamao. Insult me. Say you think it's true. Lol. Its not Santa. Believing in these quotes doesn't make them true lol.

You can "think" whatever you like, that doesn't make it true. For example, a good number of these quotes.

I'm critical of YOUR lies, or the ones others made up and you pass on as truth.

Nice attempt at trying to back out of this though. Mention Obamao. Insult me. Say you think it's true. Lol. Its not Santa. Believing in these quotes doesn't make them true lol.

for the record, Woodrow, why should thomas Jefferson mean shit to you in the first place?

WSS

1. I'm not backing out of anything. It's the content of the quotes. The meaning behind the words.

They are attributed to Jefferson. If that's wrong, my email was quoting the wrong people.

But woodypeckerhead, there is a huge

difference between being wrong, and telling a lie. You are just an asshole, the butt of the board,

woodypeckerhead. you don't know the difference, well, then you should get some counseling

about living in the real world.

2. woody hates. It's what libs do. Anything that someone thinks is good, they think it's bad,

with no explanation. Anything that someone else things is bad, is good, with no explanation.

It's a sad, sick way to exist. He must be very, very lonely. it's like mentally, he is allegedly graduated

from high school, but still lives in an opaque bubble. Doesn't know what life is, or means.

3. Let's just surmise that woodpecker is just like a mosquito that won't go away, who is only here to suck

the blood out of every thread that isn't about a subject he approves of.

4. Whoever really did say these quotes, I think they have a ton of merit. I like them.

4. Whoever really did say these quotes, I think they have a ton of merit. I like them.

LMAO. So when you are found to be untrue, about the source, it's still OK because YOU like them? Typical Cal

Not to stick up for woody, because he's out there on many things, and I certainly don't agree with all of his stuff, but he did disprove the source of most of your original post.

And furthermore, I agree with MANY of those quotes.

for the record, Woodrow, why should thomas Jefferson mean shit to you in the first place?

WSS

It doesn't mean that much. I don't think the founding fathers are untouchable like some here (or at least the parts of the founding fathers they like).

Either way, I'm calling out Cal for posting fake quotes and attributing them to Jefferson. His response to that, of course, has been classic Cal

LMAO. So when you are found to be untrue, about the source, it's still OK because YOU like them? Typical Cal

Not to stick up for woody, because he's out there on many things, and I certainly don't agree with all of his stuff, but he did disprove the source of most of your original post.

And furthermore, I agree with MANY of those quotes.

I'm out there? awe...

But yes, this is typical Cal. He hasn't really even admitted some of them our fake yet either, lol. All that matters is that they sound good.

1. I'm not backing out of anything. It's the content of the quotes. The meaning behind the words.

They are attributed to Jefferson. If that's wrong, my email was quoting the wrong people.

But woodypeckerhead, there is a huge

difference between being wrong, and telling a lie. You are just an asshole, the butt of the board,

woodypeckerhead. you don't know the difference, well, then you should get some counseling

about living in the real world.

2. woody hates. It's what libs do. Anything that someone thinks is good, they think it's bad,

with no explanation. Anything that someone else things is bad, is good, with no explanation.

It's a sad, sick way to exist. He must be very, very lonely. it's like mentally, he is allegedly graduated

from high school, but still lives in an opaque bubble. Doesn't know what life is, or means.

3. Let's just surmise that woodpecker is just like a mosquito that won't go away, who is only here to suck

the blood out of every thread that isn't about a subject he approves of.

1. They are attributed to Jefferson by people that have no idea what they are talking about, lol. They are doing this so people like you get a little Tea Party boner when you read it in a chain email. But you don't blame yourself for this incorrect info, you blame your email. You did post it here assuming it was fact. Alright. And you weren't lying, you were just being ignorant, ok. "I didn't meant to tell a lie, I'm just stupid".

2. Nope, but that's your common response. "Liberals bad". Right.

3. ...

4. Alright. You are allowed to like them. Just don't act like Jefferson said them.

Truth is nonsense. It is all about sounding cool.

Actually that is reality. I was interviewed Steven Wright and he talked about all the internet posts with jokes attributed to him and how it pissed him off. Not because somebody was using his name but because the jokes sucked. He said he really wouldn't mind if they were great.

And all of our heroes from the founding fathers to the great generals to the spiritual leaders come from the pens of probably well meaning people.

Was George Washington a hero? Was James T Kirk? Sure.

WSS

well, I didn't know they are fake.

I still like the quotes though.

You are still the butt of the board, little woodpecker asshole.

That doesn't change for you. You're a stupid woodpecker.

well, I didn't know they are fake.

I still like the quotes though.

You are still the butt of the board, little woodpecker asshole.

That doesn't change for you. You're a stupid woodpecker.

So basically you don't give a shit that they are fake so long as it agrees with your sensibilities? Now I know why so many people can be religious.

I go by the content of the words. It's a nice thing that Jefforson might have said them.

But apparently he didn't. Who do you think I only agree with the words or not, depending

on the political party, or fame, of the person who said them?

Logic, really. You need to start looking at content, instead of gaging a popularity context

on quotes.

Armie Swartzenhauffenmakenich could have said a great thing about OUR 2nd Amendment,

and I'd agree with it bigtime.

I don't worship cultwise like a lot of libs do. Reality doesn't flip flop just because you

know a person or not.

Yep it is embarrassing to get fooled. Still think about it, does "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" meme less because Jack Kennedy's speech writer thought of it and him?

WSS

Cal isn't being criticised for the content of the wrongly attributed quotes, but because it's symptomatic of his apparent failure to question what he is being told by whichever email, blog or opinion piece he reads.

Yeah you have to be careful. Still I didn't think any of those quotes sounded outrageous. But they were fakes so there ya go. Here's an article. It has some things he actually did say. So does that make a difference to you guys or not?

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/07/us/jefferson-rorschach-guns/

WSS

I read the article and it talks a lot about how people take someone from 200+ years ago and use things he may or may not have said as an argument both for and against things happening today, spinning it how they want.

But the point was more about fact-checking of things being posted.

well, the woodypeckerhead and Chris can't stand being disagreed with...

too bad.

I just thought the stuff was interesting. I don't have to go research for an hour, to post

some stuff.

But, I will make sure to post a whole lot more of it, since their liberalwingnut feigned

victimhood that Jefferson apparently didn't say all those things.... that they find an

excuse for their childish bitchfest.

Perhaps you two would like to go mud wrestle in some gay bar or something.

I'm not going to factcheck everything I think is interesting. I liked the quotes, and

that's what I'm going with the next time. Who actually did the quoting doesn't really matter.

I kinda figured the bitchfest would happen with our resident liberal whiners about something,

but more along the lines of challenging the actual quotes themselves.

it would be a great bet, that they would bitch and bitch and bitch, even if Jefferson really did

say those things, and is there anyone besides them who doubts it? Especially,

the stinkin little woodpecker, the butt of the board. You libs have a nice day, you ain't

seen nothin yet.... @@

Cal, you really don't get why people are laughing at you, do you? It's not the content of the quotes, the gun control thing has been done to death a thousand times. It's the point that you are trying to put Jefferson up as, presumably, some great leader of the free world, with all these things he said on the topic of gun control, trying to cash in on his supposed gravitas. When called out on the mistake, you retreat to just saying 'well the quotes are nice' - perhaps, but that's not what you were trying to do.

The quotes themselves are another matter, and I'd argue that although they make for nice soundbites, you'd need to consider the relevance of these things from 200 years ago in today's world, but that's not the point.

doesn't matter, Chris. I liked the quotes, and thought it was fun to

post them.

Up yours if you want to feign "offense"

ahahaha. Truth is, I don't care if he actually said them or not.

It ...was....just....an....email...that....was....going ....around.

You bitch about Jefferson not actually saying them, then you BITCH

that they are 200 years old.

That's just bitching to bitch about the content of the quotes, lefthandedly.

Go ahead, bitch. It's kinda almost funny, in a stupid kind of way.

Archived