THE BROWNS BOARD

Reciever Situation is on GM Ray Farmer

Frenchie

I think this team has made it clear they expect to build from the basics up. Defense first, O-line second and a QB to act like more of a point guard than a needle threading play call changer. Get the ball. Hold with great D and keep it with a great O-line blocking for power runners who know how to catch screens as well. Don;t be surprised if they go for a RT first pick next year to bookend with Thomas.

If you are talking "point guard as a game manager, then I agree. But regardless I am not sure how you got to the underlined bit.

Changing the play, be it to a different run or a pass, is an important part of a running game when the D is stacked to stop the run whether to one side or altogether.

And if the audible is to a quick slant, which it often is, there are few routes that call for more of a needle threading.

The F was not in relation to the entire draft, just the situation at WR. While I don't give the draft an A right now, it certainly has the potential to be one with the Buffalo trade, and the play of our selections (many of which will be starters really soon). I don't mean to bash Farmer or the FO because I can't imagine another group having done a better job. So I'll tip my cap to them as we head into summer camp, even though I am not happy about their efforts to proactively address the void at WR.

Indeed, I fully realize that it might be difficult to address all the areas of need in one draft. But have they not done that (except for WR)? It seems they populated a stable of quality RB's and DB's -that's excellent. ILB and QB is still a concern but they tried their best to address them in the draft. OG was clearly addressed in the draft. Slot R was addressed as Hawkins replaced Bess. But WR has gone from Gordon & Little to ? and ?. Sorry, but why should I be happy with that? I'm having visions of 11 men in the box (J/K) as we have no proven/healthy/unsuspended WR's. We all know that we need a balanced attack in order to consistently win in our division.

And yes, call me crazy, but I think with Gordon and a good #2 WR, combined with Hoyer's quick release and accurate pass, and with this defence, why shouldn't I project a playoff calibre team. For the first time in a while, I can really see some progress and potential.

The Cleveland Browns 2014 draft will match the Steelers 1974 draft for the number of Hall of Fame players taken.

Gilbert at CB

Manziel at QB

Bitonio at OL

And at least 1 other....maybe Kirksey, maybe Desir

What do you think about that?

1 - I'm 99.100% sure Burleson was a starter last year in Detroit.

Nate started 8 of the 9 games in which he appeared.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurlNa00.htm

Overall I agree with you analysis. But our WR corps is still very "iffy"... as in:

- If Josh's suspension is not a full season...

- If Austin stays healthy...

- If Hawkins lives up to his early showing...

http://collegespun.com/features/2014-nfl-draft-grades/3

Gave Browns a draft grade of A-. The same grade as the squeelers.

When the cap cuts hit, I bet that Farmer and Pettine will find another

veteran wr to step into the mix.

I loved the Browns draft. Like was said before, the Seahaws

went to the Superbowl with veteran receivers...

Burleson > Little

Hawkins > Bess

Benjamin> no Benjamin

Austin & Armstrong ... We'll see

Udfa and johnson ... We'll see

I guess everyone wanted us to replace Josh Gordon instantly ... Because there are gobs of 1600 yard receivers out there running around.

Gordon isn't dead. He isn't even injured. He'll be back by 2015 at the latest, with two years on his contract.

The front office would have been foolish to abandon it's game plan to replace a star player for one year.

I wonder what the Manziel fans can tell us about the WRs that Seattle won a SB with?

Z

If you are talking "point guard as a game manager, then I agree. But regardless I am not sure how you got to the underlined bit.

Changing the play, be it to a different run or a pass, is an important part of a running game when the D is stacked to stop the run whether to one side or altogether.

And if the audible is to a quick slant, which it often is, there are few routes that call for more of a needle threading.

Actually I was thinking more in line as game manager rather than a Payton Manning who constantly calls needle threading play calls at the LOS. Yes, I do expect him to have certain play changing abilities when it is obvious what is called will be stuffed. But it could be as simple as a change to a screen opposite of expected side of pressure. Or even an understanding with key receivers on hand signaled change of route on a passing play call, something he excels at already.

I would have liked Mike Evans, but am happy with Gilbert. CB was a big need too.

We just missed Brandon Cooks.

Marquis Lee injury red flags.

We needed CB and coverage linebacker. I like who we got, GIbert, Kirksey, Desir.

Bitonio big need on right side of line

Love West, have high hopes for Manziel.

Hopefully we can get WRs in trade or cuts

Pound the rock

I don't know how these receivers will pan out, but you can't say Farmer isn't going for the speed. Here's the 40 yd times of all the new guys, plus Benjamin for comparison.

Jones- 4.34
Hawkins- 4.34
Benjamin- 4.36
Armstrong- 4.38
Johnson- 4.38
Shaw- 4.56
Snead- 4.6
You realize that Benjamin is only .03 seconds away from being the FIFTH fastest in this group?!

God forbid we discuss the team on a message board. That would be stupid.

Every year people bring up legitimate concerns about certain aspects of the team and every year the homers belittle those concerns.

How about the Browns actually win some games before we start believing that every fucking move they make is golden?

Our WR corps is questionable at best and putrid if you look at it realistically. It doesn't help that we are going to have an inexperienced QB throwing them the ball.

I don't agree w/much of what the original poster said, as I would not have drafted a WR in round 1, but quit acting like the WR unit is not a concern. It is a concern and more than likely---it's a problem area.

Where to start.

First off I never said this is the best group of WR the NFL has ever known. I said we don't know what we have and to preemptively freak out about is waste of time and effort, much like criticizing draft picks before they've played a down.

Secondly, please point out where I said every move made is golden. Saying there is no factual evidence or logical reasoning behind preemptively bitching doesn't equate to every move being golden. It means there is no factual evidence or logical reasoning behind preemptively bitching.

Thirdly, I said I hoped the OP created the thread for the sole reason of discussion which I contributed to by giving my opinion in that we should wait to actually see the team play before placing blame for a so far unknown problem. For all we know the leaking of Gordon's suspension before it had become official, along with the circumstances surrounding the violation (potentially Gordon missing the test due to a team organized event,) will result in no suspension. Will the WR's still be the biggest problem since AIDs then?

Relax, it's June for God's sake. Nothing is set in stone.

4 of our draft picks in the HOF? Wow - what a prediction. You should go to Vegas on that one as the odds would be astronomical. I sure hope you are right!

Taco, you are right, I need to relax as it's only June. And yes, I created the thread to be controversial, as I have already stated that Farmer has generally done a fantastic job. But I want the Browns to embarrass the Steelers in the opener so badly that I can scream. When was the last/only time we were 1-0?

Taco, you are right, I need to relax as it's only June. And yes, I created the thread to be controversial, as I have already stated that Farmer has generally done a fantastic job. But I want the Browns to embarrass the Steelers in the opener so badly that I can scream. When was the last/only time we were 1-0?

I think it came at the expense of the Steelers 51-0

Archived